Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 amethyst10616
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Party like they're still in high school and other turn offsPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
If you want to meet other dynamic people, then you have to get involved in the local scene, such as volunteering and attending local events. Try meetup.com to find other like-minded singles in your area. You never know who you may meet. I am not into the bar scene at all, either. Meeting someone special at our age is work, but hopefully, it will happen for all of us who are looking.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 12
Party like they're still in high school and other turn offs
Posted: 10/24/2009 7:45:18 PM
...Yes, there are a few of us around who are not into the bar scene and not ready for the retirement home (although I am preparing for that if I don't meet anyone soon)

Why I joined PoF in the first place is because I was finding it difficult to meet someone who is my age and single. Most of the males that I come in contact with on a daily basis are either married or in a relationship.

It's been suggested on other threads that maybe try joining a singles group, many are being set-up throught the country. I know I've been doing dome investigating.

Other options might be book clubs if you're an avid reader, dance classes ...Latin dance, so sensual and up close ....I was actually looking into that today. Health clubs. Anywhere you think single females might hang out.

If that doesn't work out for you....try "Girltalk" they might let you in.

Be patient, have fun while you're here....good luck

...maeflowers
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/24/2009 8:15:21 PM

maeflowers, don't do it. Sign up for that dance class instead!

...I know eh? ( My Canadian showing)
Oh you bet your sweet little patootie that I'll be on that dance floor...It's gonna be a long cold winter...what better way to keep warm than to be in someone's arms, even if it is on the dance floor.

...maeflowers
 CoolOldBroad
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2009 11:38:02 PM
OP, I know exactly what you mean b/c I have the same problem. I'm 59 and correspond mostly with guys in their 50s, but geez, they all act like they're my father! Try to discuss the Allman Brothers (they don't know who I'm talking about) or something that actually happened after the 50s and they're in a fog - no clue. Most of them are really nice, but we just don't inhabit the same space. I'm very young for my age, I know, and into current things, but isn't there somebody out there who is between using a walker or in diapers? LOL....I'll keep trying, since it's a numbers game, but it can get discouraging after a while.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2009 1:00:15 AM
I just gor home from my best birthday party ever.... and I have no plans to ever be a church lady. Karaoke is done in bars (or at least that is where I do it). Yet, I wouldn't date a bar fly guy. Only one who is there for karaoke and doesn't need a taxi to take him home. grins. ..

Now, I hang with karaoke people. So, I have dated karaoke people in the past ... and might again some day. Hang out with the people who live the lifestyle you want to live ... or find a person like that on here. Wanna stay home and watch reality TV and meet a fellow fan of the show.... go on the show's blogs.

old formula.... common interests, common values ... and chemistry.
 blueyesrsmiling
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/25/2009 3:46:43 AM
I am also not a drinker....but every once in awhile I will have one. It averages about one or two a year.......yeah I am full off frolicking fun. I can tell if I meet someone that has a problem. Not hard, I am not comfrontable with them. I have a built in radar detector about people seem to have a problem with it. But I have gotten to met plenty of people who very seldom drink or are Church people.....they are kind of like me just normal....okay I am not normal that's a lie. I just put it on the internet so I could see it. And make you believe it. But I meet someone and decide just to have fun. I no longer care if they are the one.......I never meet them in a bar. Maybe for a cup of coffee or a sandwich something simple. No alcohol involved. I just want to make it to the like stage.
And Mae.....I am going to do the dance lessons.....I am with you. Its getting cold.
The gym.....have tons of regular everyday people that are like you and I. They want to be healthy and happy.....that's me.....good luck
 fairfaxguy
Msg: 27
Posted: 10/25/2009 6:32:00 AM
You could always offer a heaven-ward glance at the bar, though. Works for me.

But seriously...complaining about "ends of the spectrum" doesnt get one very far. Recognize that most human behavior is represented by the good old bell curve, and if your results are skewed, well, keep sampling!

Sunday morning--time for a drink!
 ~Azul Ojos~
Msg: 28
Posted: 10/25/2009 7:40:42 AM
I wouldn't describe myself as a party animal, but have recently begun going out to watch live bands with another single girl friend. We get hit on by younger guys and older... not often by men our own age (40-50). We enjoy the music and usually dance all night... Its fun, but this is not what I thought I would be doing at my age... I would prefer to go and watch the Dallas Symphony Orchestra with some sexy guy at my side...

Last night the DFW singles group were there, so the meetup groups are in the same places and getting out and about too... Life is too short to stay in and let it pass you by...
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2009 9:30:31 AM

and I'm sure you've heard of the grocery store and it sounds silly but it's true. The same way they can suss out whether you're single, married or have children is by what they see in the cart

This is so true. Back in the early 1990's recession, I had been laid off from my job and to augment my Unemployment Insurance I chose to become a part-time cashier at the local Safeway grocery store. While the majority of cashiers dreaded the express checkout line during the supper hour I very happily took that checkout assignment and often asked my supervisor to be scheduled for that checkout. One day she mentioned to me that she was indeed glad that I would offer to cover that much dreaded checkout and she stated that it showed maturity that I would offer to do something that others would rather not. I looked at her with a smirk on my face and then replied that being on the express checkout over the dinner hour where there was a smorgasboard of single men who stopped in to get their nightly supper was definitely a harship that I was willing to bear. I did end up dating several men who passed through my checkout.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/25/2009 3:59:32 PM

And Mae.....I am going to do the dance lessons.....I am with you. Its getting cold

...It's official. I registered last night.... So look out, I'm hoping to become a lean, mean dancing machine.

Note: They ( The big fish)) should really replace the dancing pickle with a little dancing couple....ya think?

...maeflowers
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/25/2009 4:28:26 PM

or a dancing fish?
shark
whale
porpose
dolphin

doing the electric slide

...Yeah, fishies doing the electric slide...now that's the ticket and so in keeping with the "fishie theme"

Back to high school.....you should run for High School President. All in favour say aye

...maeflowers
 OldFolkie
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2009 5:12:02 PM
You mean that little dancing green thing is a pickle?

Pardon me while I drag my mind out of the gutter.

PittsburghVixen
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/25/2009 8:00:46 PM

You mean that little dancing green thing is a pickle?

Pardon me while I drag my mind out of the gutter.

Sweetie, if yours is green...you gotz a problem!
 sunny snow storm
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/25/2009 8:58:10 PM
well after reading your profile, it sounds like you should be hanging out in artsy coffee shops or galleries or in some kind of art classes.....becuase honestly based on your profile it doesnt apear that your interesed in much of anything else.
 morningsong53
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/26/2009 3:36:34 AM
^^yep, me too....banana.
thinking, now though about the OTHER possibilities.
---geesh, thanks you guys....I'm obviously party deprived.
 Brownlady1953
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/26/2009 2:11:57 PM
Kenny, we women have the same problem. I think this entire country has the same "problem", i.e., "lack of moderation", nothing in the middle......we are just a nation of extremes......

I either meet men who want to pick up where they left off in 1973, before their first marriage, children, and that 75 extra pounds they are dishonest about, or men who are going through "manopause", and are grouchy, irritable, and look and act older than I ever remember my Dad or Grandfather acting at similar ages.....

When I find the place to look for "moderate" folks, I'll post it here for everyone to see....
 rearguard*2
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2009 2:15:03 PM

When I find the place to look for "moderate" folks, I'll post it here for everyone to see....

Try Canada.....
 aSydneyMale
Msg: 48
Posted: 10/26/2009 2:44:53 PM

Lots of lovely Librans here...

Ain't there just?! lol

On topic: Let's hear it for the 'in-betweeners'. I was overseas a few years ago and met a 45-year-old Irish lady who just had to go clubbing all the time, she was flaky and unreliable. I've also met ladies younger than me who could have been my nanna.

Grown-up, with an active life and positive outlook is a killer combination (does the shoe fit FreeSpirit? lol).
 *army mom*
Msg: 51
Posted: 10/27/2009 7:06:40 AM
I feel your pain, OP. Seems as though 80% of the men I meet are middle-aged frat boys and are just looking for a drinking buddy.

When they discover that I can't drink alcohol period due to a medical condition they can't disappear fast enough.
 parrotmama
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2009 8:33:39 AM
I wonder if part of the "party lifestyle" is that many folks have been away from it for so long, raising kids or married to someone who was a couch potato...they are just experimenting with a different reality for a while. If they met someone with whom they match, perhaps the need to party constantly would diminish. I know I didn't date for 7 years after I was widowed. Took me that long to be ready to consider the possibility that I could love again. Once I DID start dating again, I really wanted to DANCE, an activity that I had missed for 7 years....That lasted for a few months until I got some of that pent up dancing desire out of my system. I still like to dance but wouldn't want to do it EVERY weekend. So perhaps the "party animal" just has some long unfulfilled needs to work out?
 Brownlady1953
Msg: 53
Posted: 10/27/2009 2:03:33 PM
You have a point there, Parrotmama, but for people like me, who got that stuff "done and over with a long time ago " (mid-1990's), waiting around has gotten old..
 forevermore65
Msg: 56
Posted: 4/17/2012 12:06:03 AM
iM 46 BUT WILL ALWAYS PARTY LIKE A COLLEGE GIRL iM GOING TO ENJOY IT WHILE I CAN ..PARTY LIKE A ROCK STAR WITH YOUNG THAN ME !! NO ONE BELIVES IM 46 ANY WAY .,.,SO WHY NOT ?
 nubeginnings64
Msg: 57
Posted: 4/17/2012 7:13:39 AM
I notice the same. I'm turned off by the immaturity of those my age as well as those who seem to be in an emotional funk. 7 years single & I'm still searching for middle ground though.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2012 8:18:51 AM
I come from a family of "dancers." So I like to dance.....it's good exercise too. As for all the wild stuff, no......

And I don't like men my age who are grumpy, grouchy, couch potatoes who are getting as large as the couches they lay on.....
 Sunshinelady555
Msg: 59
Posted: 4/17/2012 5:36:07 PM

And I don't like men my age who are grumpy, grouchy, couch potatoes who are getting as large as the couches they lay on.....

I agree with this statement. LOL

There are a lot of men on these date sites that say they are 50 but WOW could have fooled me. LOL
Women are somewhat visual too. So, if you don't look appealing who is going to contact You for any
thing serious.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >