Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 zipdy
Msg: 82
What man or band is the Godfather of Heavy Metal? Let the debate begin!Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
according to rolling stone magazine the first heavy metal song was the Trogg's Wild Thing and some say Vanilla Fudge's You Keep Me Hangin On.

there was a group in 1967 called Aorta and they were heavy but i might classify them as acid rock overall. guess i can't think of anyone but Sabbath as true metal pioneers.
 Randy_Rw
Msg: 89
What man or band is the Godfather of Heavy Metal? Let the debate begin!
Posted: 11/14/2010 4:39:32 PM
The "godfather of heavy metal" is a mythical term. No one band or musician deserves this tittle. Heavy Metal is a form that has evolved since the dawn of time and compiles different techniques from various cultures of civilization.
 good_catch77
Msg: 90
Posted: 11/20/2010 9:53:17 PM
I agree that the term "godfather" isn't so much someone who invented metal. As much as someone whom brought it mainstream.

Black Sabbath ~ I remember hearing them for the 1st time when I was a wrestling fan, with the Road Warriors intro music being Iron Man. I still love that song to this day. One of the greatest riffs ever. Sabbath has had a great career and two of the top metal voices as there vocalists. Ozzy Ozborne and Ronnie James Dio (RIP).

Also a little known fact that in the early to mid 80's one of the former members of Deep Purple was the the lead singer of Black Sabbath, his name Ian Gillan. To replace Ronnie James Dio. But Tony thought he sounded too bluesy for the 80's version of Sabbath...

I know my Black Sabbath history being my top fav Metal Bands of all time. I can still put on a album and it still sounds great to me even after a 100 times. My fav Sabbath albums are surprisingly the two live ones

Live Evil with Ronnie James Dio and Reunion with Ozzy. Two unique sounding albums that have stood the test of times.
 Randy_Rw
Msg: 91
Posted: 11/29/2010 10:19:33 PM
Yes, metal is soley an evolution - period. You can't credit anyone specifically. Black Sabbath played a large part in an important era of the evolution. It is also an evolution that is constantly evolving and being refined. Constantly setting standards and raising the bar although it's getting stupidly technical in its most extreme form these days in my opinion. Black Sabbath does not stand up to today's standards and isn't really thought of as Heavy Metal these days. More like Rock n' Roll because Black Sabbath is no longer a "heavy" band. Another example of how the evolution and musical standard of metal has been "slide-staggering" is Slayer and and the term "Death Metal". Everyone knows that Slayer is and was "Thrash metal", but in thier early days they were also considered to be "Death Metal". In those days there weren't many bands recognized that were a Hell of a lot heavier than the likes of Slayer, Dark Angel, Sepultura, ect. until the second half of the decade. Now days Slayer and the like is never thought of as death metal. Death metal is now it's own full-fledged genre represented by certain key elements of it's music.
 Email Tom Now
Msg: 93
Posted: 12/3/2010 5:22:10 PM
msg 105....

" Heavy Metal is a form that has evolved since the dawn of time ...."

ok, then the answer is OGG, the Mighty Hunter, circa 9000 BC, beating on his heavy metal drums to scare animals into a sunken pit for dinner.

ARE YOU SATISFIED NOW????????

DudeistPriest
Msg: 94
Posted: 12/5/2010 4:56:03 PM
I have heard some claim Steppenwolf, due to there use of the term in "Born To Be Wild". However, at that time in pop culture the term Heavy Metal was used in reference to modified/customized motor cycles, hence,"Heavy metal thunder.". As far as music is concerned, it is a sound that was born out of post war England. Using a heavy sound to portray the sense of gloom felt by the UK's industrial working class. Such bands as Sabbath and Judas Priest grew up in these neighborhoods and it also influenced other Brit bands, such as Zepplin and Deep Purple.
Some music historians go specifically to Tony Iomi (sp?) of Black Sabbath. He lost the tips of two fingers in a foundry accident. He found it near impossible to play with the prosthetics available to him. He fashioned two lead caps to wear instead. He had to tune his instrument differently to accommodate. This gave Sabbath their unique "heavy" sound that many point to has the beginnings of Heavy Metal.
So certainly British, and arguably Sabbath

(Sorry but while Hendrix may have been influenced by this sound,having spent the early part of his solo career in the UK, he's pretty much recognized as being Acid Rock.)
 Email Tom Now
Msg: 95
Posted: 12/13/2010 3:46:17 PM
i read a rolling stone article that cited The Troggs "Wild Thing" as the first AUTHENTIC heavy metal song.

i don't claim to know. but i just loved Iron Butterfly's INAGODADIVITA. (sp?)
 Hippiekinkster
Msg: 96
Posted: 12/21/2010 8:40:12 PM
Wayne Kramer- MC5- "Kick Out the Jams"
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AsLACMaJL_a.5q0pWHrMSDqmN3wV?p=youtube+mc5+kick+out+the+jams&fr=att-portal-s&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8
 MetalFrenzy1
Msg: 99
Posted: 1/31/2011 4:54:18 PM
Ok so, personally I've tried to figure this out for myself since that documentary came out (headbanger's journey). I could never make up my mind so i just found out songs that made sense being and inspiration to start of metal before or during sabbath. I'll just put a list since it would be easier.

-The Beatles - Helter Skelter: this song was originally made by paul because the who wrote a song that was supposedly the most raw and loud song of it's time (remind you of a certain genre? lol). It was also later used in the charles manson movie of the same name which I can see would give it an even darker feeling.

-Atomic Rooster - Death Walks Behind You: This band felt like an Alice Cooper/The Who mix. Now, by the time this song was released, black sabbath was already a few years in. But I really believe that this song helped push the metal scene out of its hole before it even knew it was metal. It may not have inspired BS but definitely an honourable mention.

Led Zeppelin - Dazed and Confused/Kashmir: These two bad boys are definitely heavy hitters for inspiration to the metal seen. I mean... kashmir with it's powerful 3 downstroke verse riff was they greatest simple riff ever made in my opinion. Dazed and Confused was a really dark song. Morbid sounding almost, with it's eerie chorus riff sliding down the neck of the guitar ever so slowly, to the spacey tripped out interlude that no one forgets.

All in all I think there is no godfather of metal, because there are many bands that perfected that sound before they even knew it. Black Sabbath just really took all of this type of riffing and powerful chords, drop tuned it and made it their own. I guess that's why people really see them as the founding fathers of metal. They really took all these elements and churned them out like a metal making machine of greatness. I don't think that opinion will ever change.
 foffeefifo
Msg: 100
Posted: 3/4/2011 4:27:01 AM
ok, here's the geriatric version of heavy metal history as I remember it being it born.....
I say the genre was born in 1964, the Kinks and the song YOU REALLY GOT ME.

Dayum, I remember the first time Cousin Brucie played it and playing it over and over and over again at Lauren Moon's house my freshman year in high school because my Irish father hated anything that came out of England, lol..... and it blew my mind and i truly believe it is the skeleton upon which the entire genre became fully fleshed..... yes the Beatles added some sinew and ligaments, Deep Purple in '68 packed on some muscle.... sure Black Sabbath, but for me the heights were hit, the acme, pinnacle and full development of the art form was Mettalica's S&M in 2000 due to the talent, inspiration and guidance of Michael Kamen who I am still deeply grieving the loss of to the music world
 CarpeNoctum
Msg: 101
Posted: 3/5/2011 7:51:34 PM
Thor, who knew how to wield a hammer.

But going with the 20th century, I'd say Blue Cheer as the FIRST metal band, since they pre-date Led Zeppelin, Ritchie Blackmore's Deep Purple, and Black Sabbath.

Of course, Blue Cheer could be considered the forerunners of that sub-genre "stoner rock" (see Kyuss - the band most blatantly influenced by Blue Cheer)
 skopek
Msg: 102
Posted: 6/23/2011 11:48:05 AM
I'm not too sure about some of your definitions of metal. If you want to split hairs about influence you could go back as far as you want. When I think of who was the first band to be truly metal, Judas Priest. Screaming guitars, heavy drums, and an intense frontman.
 worldtraveller74
Msg: 103
Posted: 7/9/2011 7:11:12 PM
A woman, Jynx from Coven.
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 104
Posted: 7/10/2011 6:53:49 PM
I would say Neil Young with CrazyHorse. Powerful feedback-laced sound, very influential to musicians for almost 40 years.
 ArtzyWoman
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2011 10:08:47 AM
My all time vote is defiantly...Black Sabbath(Heaven&Hell)
Deep Purple, King Crimson,Blind Faith, Alice Cooper on and on and on.
As for Uriah Heep, totally awesome. Saw all their concerts while living in Detroit as well as the above mentioned artists.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 108
Posted: 7/19/2011 6:08:07 PM
Sabbath, from the very first album.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 109
Posted: 7/22/2011 12:47:44 PM
Generally Godfather is bestowed on someone who isn't an actual founder. James Brown is the Godfather of Soul, for example. So I don't think Sabbath would qualify - more likely to appear as Fathers of Metal.

Hendrix would be a more appropriate choice for Godfather in my opinion. Someone who strongly influenced all the guys who started metal.

The thing is though, I'm old. So I remember bands being referred to as Heavy Metal or Metal before Sabbath was founded. Iron Butterfly was a metal band. I know there were others, but that's the only one I can remember (I was a preteen at the time).
 Ska_Voovie
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2011 1:51:43 PM
i dont think anyone could be said to be the 'founder' of soul - but JB had a good claim - check this - James Brown & his Famous Flames , Try Me 1958 [and 78rpm to boot!]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGoyy8AcJlA&feature=related

from the era when R&B was changing to Soul
 TTvonb
Msg: 112
Posted: 8/27/2011 8:35:42 PM
Blue cheer
And for the pre school days
Link wray
 Rosemary24
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2011 7:42:33 PM
That would be Tony Iommi.
 Tayfire
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2011 8:03:14 AM
I would say Sabbath also but Lemmy with Motorhead has to be a contender?
 Metal_Mike667
Msg: 115
Posted: 9/6/2011 7:51:18 PM
Black Sabbath laid the ground work for what would and is called Heavy Metal. but when the old guard was struggiling to keep up it was judas priest that took it out of the blues influence and straight into a twin lead guitar embracing metal sound and with rob halfords high banshee shrill it was the perfect ingredient for the sound kk and glen created. Theres also Iron Maiden similar to judas priest Maiden also had a twin guitar sound with the operatic sounding voice in Bruce****nson arguabbly along side maiden and priest the Most Important band in the 8Os was indeed Metallica no other band had that signature "Crunch Tone" let alone the bass genius of Cliff Burton also you cant forget that without Mustaine created those insane heavy riffs as heard on Kill Em All which paved the way for bands in the today from where sabbath passed on the torch Metallica took it. side note(with out Motorhead there would be no thrash metal period after all they had the speed and attitude of thrash back when they first started out) Halford is indeed the Metal god no pun intended. But Lemmy and the founding fathers of Heavy Metal are most def up there at the top of the list
 Metal_Mike667
Msg: 116
Posted: 9/6/2011 7:51:59 PM
along side Metallica and Mustaine
 THROUGH THE THORNS
Msg: 117
Posted: 9/10/2011 6:22:45 PM
BLACK SABBATH now be quiet! shhhh
 FrankCH4
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2014 12:26:17 AM
Alice Cooper was the first.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >