Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Does "exclusivity" applies in FWB relationship?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DIVISION77
Msg: 51
Does exclusivity applies in FWB relationship?Page 3 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)

As I said, there are those that THINK they're in an exclusive FWB relationship and those who KNOW they're not....
If you've made it clear it has to be exclusive for you, then all you're doing is encouraging the other person to NOT tell you if they're not monogamous....
Sorry, a monogmaous FWB is a RELATIONSHIP, not FWB....

You're not me, baby church.

I tend to attract good girls who look down on promiscuity.

Due to schedules, work and alone time, I don't always have time for a full-on LTR.

That doesn't mean my standards drop in terms of what I will accept in a woman, nor does it mean I'll ever share a woman sexually.

Women aren't like men in many ways. For one, if they find a guy who suits them and makes them feel like a woman they don't ever want to screw that up, esp over sex.

If I ever suspected that a woman I was dating wasn't faithful, I'd drop her faster than baby Brad did Jennifer.

Just because you're jaded and have found dating life to be lacking doesn't mean your views of conventional wisdom apply to everyone else.

DIVISIONAL FWB = Exclusivity lease with an option to buy.

carolann0308
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Does exclusivity applies in FWB relationship?
Posted: 2/8/2010 10:26:55 AM
FWB means they are not all that into you and actively looking for a real relationship.
 DIVISION77
Msg: 53
Posted: 2/8/2010 12:57:41 PM

You know, EVERY girl I've ever met. looks down on promiscuity... Neer seen one yet who will either admit to being promiscuous, or brag about it or support it.... They're ALL GOOD GIRLS.....

I can't stress enough that I screen pretty well and have a good sense of intuition.

I don't get serious with someone until after a lengthy courting process and I've never suspected any woman I've been with of cheating. Unless they were complete frauds who lead double lives, I'm completely sure that I've never dated a woman who was cheating on me.

You're much too cynical, and/or a bad judge in character to have the belief that all women are cheaters.

In fact, the type of women I attract want monogamous relationships and I can't see them being of that state of mind if they're simply cheating without guilt.

As I said before the only difference for me between a FWB and LTR is the amount of time involved. The commitment isn't any different, just that most of the time spent in a FWB is usually sex whereas in a LTR there is more time for other things.

I make it extremely clear to a woman that I won't hesitate to drop her if I suspect any type of infidelity. They know that............so I just don't see them cheating.

It goes more to a woman's character and I've never been wrong about that in terms of the women I've chosen to date.

Who are these women you speak of who feel no guilt from cheating? I'm not dating them. I assume you are?

ladyc4
Msg: 54
Posted: 2/8/2010 2:09:11 PM
a FWB's relationship over a more traditional relationship that HAS to have a final destination in order to survive

This is an EXCELLENT description of FwB that could actually have a long run,if the parties involved were not looking for marriage or hipjoined cohabitation.

It's all negotiable. There's no "standard" arrangement for a FWB situation. Hopefully, you discuss what you each want, expect, and require, and that includes exclusivity, or not, and to what degree, etc.

Yes, precisely! Why is this so difficult to grasp?

Common sense would tell you that there is no given rule for FWB relationships.

It's the kind of thing that depends on the people involved and what they agree to.

Again, yes, that's it exactly.
I am inclined to think, based on the general aversion to 'sloppy seconds' and the'eeewwww! factor', that FwBs tend more to monogamy than people realize. What's NOT exclusive is each person's entitlement to move on,should they find someone they want a "real relationship" with, or the involvement just generally seems to be running out of gas.
A GENUINE FwB is not going to drop the 'friend's part and KEEP the 'benefits'. "Friends" is the over-arching principle. And yes, even a good FwB can tend to get stale or burn out.Or, someone who has(wisely, IMO) chosen a FwB because they were in a healing process from a failed relationship or bereavement, may start feeling well enough to reasonably pursue a more "destination-bound" course of male-female interaction.

How many people out there are OK with FWB that aren't exlusive?
I personally believe that protection should be used if there is ANY doubt about exclusivity or the partners provenance...

Sorry, a monogmaous FWB is a RELATIONSHIP, not FWB....

No, generally speaking, most see a "relationship" as having a progression towards a destination,and significant interweaving of the couples' lives.

FWB means they are not all that into you and actively looking for a real relationship.

No, I can't completely agree with that.FwB can mean that the persons are not in a position,emotionally, logistically,at that point in time,to pursue and nurture a "real" relationship. And then there is the controversy about non-cohabiting,"no marriage or cohabitation planned" ongoing involvement,which some insist is a FwB because relationships are "only" about marriage or cohabitation. But there are many mature adults who would love to have a reasonably steady and reliable companion/sex partner/friend,while still retaining a fair degree of autonomy,independence and 'space' I personally would call that a relationship, but many insist that unless you own each other, so to speak, it's FwB.

You're much too cynical, and/or a bad judge in character to have the belief that all women are cheaters.

I did not see where he said this, he commented that people can be quite adept at hiding cheating behavior, even in a cohabitation or marriage. That is not the same thing as "hav(ing) the belief that all women are cheaters".
Cindy O
 Free-At-Last
Msg: 55
Posted: 2/8/2010 4:47:06 PM
A FWB is a compartmentalized relationship. Two people get the "benefits" without the risk, commitment, or responsibility that is required for a relationship. Being at each others beck and call physically and emotionally but their life doesn't allow either party to abuse or overuse it. Not to mention it is ultimately unstable and it will end.

An interesting analogy, but I think a lot of it depends on how old one is, and where you are in life. People are trained from a very early age to view marriage as the ultimate goal of any relationship. Most women tend to believe that it is the ultimate gesture of true love, and that nothing could be more romantic. Men have been conditioned to cater to a woman’s romantic desire for marriage under the guise of love.
So now let’s fast forward down the road shall we ….and what does one discover??? How about this: There IS no guarantee in today’s world that there is any more stability in a marriage, and there is absolutely no guarantee that it will never end.

As I said before the only difference for me between a FWB and LTR is the amount of time involved. The commitment isn't any different, just that most of the time spent in a FWB is usually sex whereas in a LTR there is more time for other things.

I agree with that statement, and again it depends on where one is in life. For example, one's first committment might be focused on raising their children, or focused on developing a career, etc. A FWB's arrangement is like a duty to accommodate....or like having a soft place to fall when time allows.

exclusivity means commitment.

Yes, it signifies that two people have entered into an agreement that is exclusive to them.

Does exclusivity apply in FWB relationship?

Of course it's possible if it's discussed and agreed upon between the two people involved. Is there any guarantee? Of course not....but a marriage contract does not guarantee exclusivity either.
 kailania
Msg: 56
Posted: 2/12/2010 8:57:19 AM
JMO
great explanation. good way to do it.
as for me i dont do fwb.
i couldnt sleep with someone while he is looking around,...
nor him with me while i was looking around...
so, when you find someone you just say... what?

but if i did....your way would be the way to do it. as long as it is made clear to both.
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2010 9:49:44 AM

No, I can't completely agree with that.FwB can mean that the persons are not in a position,emotionally, logistically,at that point in time,to pursue and nurture a "real" relationship. And then there is the controversy about non-cohabiting,"no marriage or cohabitation planned" ongoing involvement,which some insist is a FwB because relationships are "only" about marriage or cohabitation. But there are many mature adults who would love to have a reasonably steady and reliable companion/sex partner/friend,while still retaining a fair degree of autonomy,independence and 'space' I personally would call that a relationship, but many insist that unless you own each other, so to speak, it's FwB.

Question- so how is this different than what we used to call a boyfriend /girlfriend relationship? Seems like a few hairs are getting split at this point. It would seem we need to put a label on every phase of a relationship now.

I'm guessing that your saying that either the relationship is unlikely or definitely not going any farther. Maybe we need to put a label on those terms too. FWB "light" if your really not that friendly or exclusive, just FWB for the middle or FWB+ if your exclusive and mayyyybe open to the "possibility" that it may become more.

After all we wouldn't want any uncertainty or unclarity out there in life would we- that would be dangerous.
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2010 10:07:51 PM
I had a friend I met online who mentioned would I like to be his friends with benefits. I was surprised he would ask this because he knew how I felt about casual sex. I told him I needed love to have sex but he kept asking. One night while drunk I decided to have a sleep over with a guy I met twice. This was unlike anything I had ever done having only slept with 2 guys one of them I married. I was trying to see if I liked casual sex, I didn't. I thought this FWB guy would be ok with it since he kept trying to convince me casual sex was ok. However, he was upset with me and said he wanted nothing to do with me. I said he was acting jealous which made no sense and he said no disappointed. Apparently casual sex was ok but only if with him. Eventually we had a short lived FWB arrangement but I told him only if he wasn't sleeping with any one else. I was hoping he would change his mind and we would become more than FWB. He stopped the "relationship" shortly after it began when he wanted to see some one new.

The difference between that and a real relationship was we never went on dates. We did however see each other a few times so our kids could play together. I babysat his son a couple times too. He tried starting things up again but I've found a man who wanted so much more. We did keep the friends part though.
 ladyc4
Msg: 59
Posted: 2/13/2010 9:12:15 AM

Question- so how is this different than what we used to call a boyfriend /girlfriend relationship? Seems like a few hairs are getting split at this point. It would seem we need to put a label on every phase of a relationship now.

"boyfriend/girlfriend" generally means that the dating process is "headed somewhere"...exclusivity and committment expressed by marriage or psuedomarriage. Perhaps a better 'what we used to call it" label would be "lovers" 'love affair' or just plain "affair".
FwB occasionally"progresses" to a definite "relationship",because, when it comes to human emotions, sometimes,"stuff happens".
But "FwB" is not a "phase" in the progression to "real relationship"...and anyone who enters into one thinking that it can be herded, steered, leveraged, elevated, negotiated,"emotionally blackmailed",or somehow magically evolved into a relationship is setting themselves up to get hurt. .

I had a friend I met online who mentioned would I like to be his friends with benefits. I was surprised he would ask this because he knew how I felt about casual sex. I told him I needed love to have sex but he kept asking. One night while drunk I decided to have a sleep over with a guy I met twice. This was unlike anything I had ever done having only slept with 2 guys one of them I married. I was trying to see if I liked casual sex, I didn't. I thought this FWB guy would be ok with it since he kept trying to convince me casual sex was ok. However, he was upset with me and said he wanted nothing to do with me. I said he was acting jealous which made no sense and he said no disappointed. Apparently casual sex was ok but only if with him. Eventually we had a short lived FWB arrangement but I told him only if he wasn't sleeping with any one else. I was hoping he would change his mind and we would become more than FWB. He stopped the "relationship" shortly after it began when he wanted to see some one new

a classic example of my previous point.

The difference between that and a real relationship was we never went on dates. We did however see each other a few times so our kids could play together. I babysat his son a couple times too. He tried starting things up again but I've found a man who wanted so much more. We did keep the friends part though.

though this is not an uncommon scenario, it can't be relied on as a clear defining factor. Sometimes people who happen to come together because of a commonality-a common interest, working in the same business,neighbors,for example-become a genuine "real relationship"without a lot of 'dating'. And sometimes FwBs do go out on date-like outings. In fact , I think the attempt to define FwB by "you don't go on dates", is what gets the "sex as leverage" folks undergarments in a twist. If there is absolutely nothing but boinking going on, it's a booty call, not FwB.

geez.....this is such a pathetic topic. anyone who contemplates this dynamic needs to go on a search and rescue mission to find their lost soul. get some mannners, get some frikken values and morals and learn that sex goes way deeper than just stress relief. get a grip and get monogamous and stop spreading lethal diseases. thats the most pathetic part of it all.....people forgetting that they may be contracting and spreading death. grow up and get a monogamous relationship and work on your personal issues so you can continue to scew the same person and not contaminate the planet because you are so immature and selfish.

The only CERTAIN way to avoid STDS,other illnesses,or getting hit by a bus, is to not date,abstain from sex, indeed abstain from pretty much anything that involves leaving your house and interacting with other people.

sex goes way deeper than just stress relief
Of course sex will never be a source of stress relief for those who don't much like it, or believe that it can only be used as an expression of deep love(which is certainly a valid way to feel)or those who don't like sex,and see it as a "means to an end. I doubt that ANYONE participating in this thread is promoting promiscuity or completely "no strings" sex as a sound way of handling ones' sex life.

I was in a FWB relationship with a guy (younger) and we had this thing going for a couple of years. We never went without speaking at least once a day and maybe twice a week we would catch up. Many weekends spent together as well. After about a year we were exclusive.
Things sort of happened after that year, we parted but we remained FWB but no commitment.

I did ask him after a while if he wanted to be exclusive and he said no. Fine! We continued.

He then saw me a few weeks later chatting with another guy who was sitting near me. OMG, the S**t hit the fan.
Actually a common scenario where somebody wants to have their cake and eat it too. Can happen either way as to gender,but seems more common with guys...the old "penis is a free agent, vagina is under exclusive contract" double standard.

My point, FWB is not a good arrangement long term.
I don't think anyone is claiming that it IS.There's potential for confusion when it comes to defining "longterm committed relationship"...some hold that it CANNOT BE a "real relationship" unless the 2 people live under the same roof and sleep in the same bed,with or without an official sanction. I guess, under that definition, a lot of mature people who consider themselves a couple but choose not to cohabit/intermesh all aspects of their lives,would be considered FwB and I've seen some of those go on for years!
Cindy O
 namrael
Msg: 60
Posted: 2/13/2010 9:17:38 AM
Plenty of people have stable, long-term FWB arrangements; the certain people haven't been able to doesn't mean that no one does, or that it's somehow impossible to do so.

I think that ALL relationships should have expectations discussed at the outset, FWB included. My last FWB was non-monogamous in theory, with the agreement that we'd tell each other if we had any other partners during that time (neither of us did). Both of us were still dating during that time, so it didn't make sense to me to be monogamous since we both knew it would end once we found partner with whom we had more long-term compatibility.

But yes, there are people whose FWBs are exclusive; the key is discussing that sort of thing up-front, so no one's left in the dark. I would also be pissed if a partner of mine didn't disclose another relationship he was having, from a perspective of wanting to know where I stand, as well as from wanting to have an accurate sense of STD risk assessment. I think it's only fair to be open with people if you're sleeping with them.
 ladyc4
Msg: 61
Posted: 2/13/2010 11:04:58 AM

Plenty of people have stable, long-term FWB arrangements; the certain people haven't been able to doesn't mean that no one does, or that it's somehow impossible to do so.

This is a good point; after all, what's the current rate of marriage failure? 50%? How many "real relationships" last til death? Does that mean that marriage and real relationships are ALSO "impossible to do?"
Cindy O
 DIVISION77
Msg: 62
Posted: 2/13/2010 3:29:26 PM

If they're dating someone else, then it's NOT monogamous is it? Secretly or not, dating other people means it's not monogamous.

People have clandestine arrangements "on the side" in many types of relationships.

No, they're not monogamous, but in their minds, as long as they keep that secret relationships under lock and key they are in the free and clear.

Remember, for many people it's simply a matter of justification and opportunity.

All I want is to feel this way, to be this close, to feel the same....

All I want is to feel this way, the evening speaks, feel it say........

DIVISION77
Msg: 63
Posted: 2/15/2010 8:07:13 AM

So the idea seemed to be, yes a FWB is sexually exclusive, but not romantically involved or committed and so not exclusive in that sense. Also there is the mutual understanding that even the sexual part of the FWB is completely dependent on what happens in the dating life of either partner. So even the sexual exclusivity is merely temporary, it exists for the convenience, enjoyment, and safety of both friends.

So, OP, I think you should not assume that any FWB will assume you have more than one FWB. Many people see such a relationship as a safer way to be sexually active than to have multiple partners. As for practicing safe sex with multiple partners, again, I do not think you can assume that everyone agrees that it is even possible to do this. Was it Big Daddy Jinx above who pointed out that you are not just sleeping with one partner, but also with all of the partners they ever had, and your partner's partners, so that risk increases exponentially. Condoms are not a guarantee nor are they foolproof.

Ideally, yes, your FWB is exclusive and should something change in terms of either party's expectations/needs then you'd discuss it like adults at the given time.

However..........as we have seen so far, alot of people aren't mature enough to rationalize and vocalize their feelings insofar as making it known to the other part that they have changed their mind.

That is the issue as I see it.

Having sex with multiple partners who are also having sex with multiple partners is one of the worst things you could possibly do.

Daddy Jinx may seem jaded and/or cynical to alot of you, but he's actually pretty smart and tidy in terms of his perspective on things.

thegirl123
Msg: 64
Posted: 2/15/2010 6:40:54 PM
Exclusivity is never a requirement in a FWB relationship. If exclusivity were a requirement wouldnt you just be in a relationship?

I have had a fwb and exclusivity was not really a part of it. Its not like the person was a slut and sleeping all over the place- but it never came to be exclusive.

When I told my fwb that I intended to only sleep with him; his response was "can I still get a peice" that should tell you right there its not meant to be exclusive.

People should be in a relationship or else at least talk about being exclusive if that is what they want.
 Kranck
Msg: 65
Posted: 2/16/2010 12:11:14 AM

If exclusivity were a requirement wouldn’t you just be in a relationship?

FWB is a relationship. A friendship is a relationship. A friendship with sex is a relationship. It might not be a relationship that’s intended to be an exclusive bond for life. Or it may not ever become more than it is for a while host of reasons. But FWB is a relationship. And it’s up to the people in it to decide whether or not it is exclusive.
 gracengracie
Msg: 66
Posted: 2/16/2010 4:25:19 AM
My comment on this issue is:
FWB means no compromise, but doesn't necessarily mean no exclusivity per se.
If there is no exclusivity, then what's the difference between FWB and one night stand??

I think FWB must allow for each of the 2 people involved to continue to search for their real LTR partner. At same time I don't believe it should give you a blank check to have 2 F****g buddies for indefinite terms.

I believe we enter into FWB deal to avoid being bed hopping and to satisfy our need for intimacy when we are not in a committed relationship.

This is really not a black and white answer. I guess the rules depend on the two people involved.

Problem with FWB is that more than likely one of the two people will start expecting and/or feeling more for the other one and this is when things go wrong.

For a FWB to be successful, both have to have no LTR expectations and be super honest to each other, this should be easy because there are not supposed to be any romantic feelings between the two. And also because they are supposed to be FRIENDS in the first place.
 DIVISION77
Msg: 67
Posted: 2/16/2010 1:19:34 PM

Most FWB relationships are not exclusive, Jinx. Just because yours are doesn't mean you should get on a high horse, calling people "disgusting" and then saying something silly like that. A booty call is the kind of person you holla at after going to the pubs or whatever, a FWB is the kind that you hit regularly and actually occasionally do non romantic things with.

MOST FWB are not "one of one"...I'm not sure what world you are in when it is like that...while I've been in FWB relationships where I don't sleep with other people (and occasionally, ones where I do) the whole point of them for most people is an open door policy, meaning that if something with romantic potential comes up, you don't have to "break up" with a FWB (and the oddness of that phrase proves my point) to get at it.

Stop generalizing, baby bro.

Who's to say MOST FWB are not exlusive?

Have you done a poll?

Do you know every single FWB participant?

The world I live in is one where I make the decisions that I feel comfortable with and in the FWB I had it was monogamous, committed and very raw.

There was no sharing.

I had her grow me a bush, which was a provision of me agreeing to the FWB in the first place.

You have to realize that we aren't all the same, and our experiences thus aren't compliant either.

To the point, what kind of guy would EVER be OK with a FWB that WAS NOT monogamous?

If you share women with other men, what does that say about you?

DIVISION77
Msg: 68
Posted: 2/16/2010 2:09:27 PM

Well, some guys really don't care...

Guys who don't care about their sexual health or that of others?

Wow. Just. Wow.

Like baby sperm on the loose....

Other guys simply don't know.... they THINK it's monogamous....

....and then there's those of us who KNOW, and NO I don't go to church.

Double Cabin
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2010 2:42:49 PM
In my universe my friends inform me of activities that could have a serious impact on my own personal health. Adults communicate, and if you're my friend you'll let me know if you start hiding someone elses salami.
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2010 2:51:03 PM
If I was truly interested in just my own gratification, I'd just troll the neighborhood bars at closing time and end up going home with "Sally One Tooth" tonight, and "Suzie Rottencrotch" tomorrow. Lucky for me I have more self respect than that.

This is what my friend told me. He wanted to have an exclusive friends with benefits relationship with me but no strings attached. As soon as one of us was dating some one we would end it. He said at least he wasn't going to the bar to pick up random women instead he chose me. I foolishly read more into it than there was and wasn't interested in sex only but for some people this type of arrangement could and does work. No way was I agreeing to have sex with him if he was turning around and the next night sleeping with another woman. Sure he could of been just telling me what he thought I wanted to hear but he still said even after our FWB relationship was over I was the only one at that time.
 DIVISION77
Msg: 71
Posted: 2/16/2010 2:54:03 PM

The silly thing about that is that most times the last person to know, is the 'other ' person.....

I know a lot of women who have slept around, and then gone back to a 'trusting' partner... It happens a lot.... Then there are a lot of people who have one off sex... as one girl told me once... "I don't count the mistakes and the one night stands." Now if she doesn't count them, think she'd tell her partner...? Not likely....

Let's face it, enough people cheat in stable long term relationships, even when there is a LOT to lose... in a FWB there is no incentive to tell the truth about not being exclusive.
Tell the truth, it ends....
Lie and get caught, it ends....
However,
Lie, and NOT get caught, and you still get free and easy sex and no drama....

Look, I get what you're sayin', Church.

I just don't believe the "type" of women I've dated would cheat because they strictly wanted LTR and were good "religious" type girls.

One of them had been cheated on in the past, so I seriously doubt she'd do that herself in a solid relationship. I just don't see it.

Of course, there's a possibility I could be wrong.

Trust me, the "girl" who told you she doesn't count one night stands or mistakes was likely not the "type" I would even consider.

Did I mention I tend to wait a month or two before I have sex with anyone I intend to have a relationship with?

That probationary period is to weed out the "typical" women who are lacking in principles.

JP1111
Msg: 72
Posted: 2/16/2010 3:07:36 PM
You make me laugh my friend since, I am precisely in that situation so, I can understand what you went through!

Exclusivity is not understood in a FWB relationship simply because it's not Dating. But still even knowing this, then the “grown rules” do come into play. You are your partners need to make it clear if there would be any ill feelings or resentment if another FWB were found. If there is then, your FWB relationship would look much closer to Dating now wouldn't it?

But if the FWB is only okay between you two and no one else, but Dating (in the normal sense of the idea of Dating) is not in the cards then, you need to either work and live with that or, you can stop the FWB relationship you have with the first one and continue only with the second and of course, repeat the same steps with her.

Given these odd “relationships” we have today, “I” call them “dynamics” I have with others. So one could have a dynamic with one, be friends with others, and ultimately have a relationship and ONLY have that person involved in the relationship, unless of course it's an open-ended relationship which then means... good grief, we sure like to complicate things don't we :)
 megs314
Msg: 73
Posted: 2/16/2010 4:47:10 PM
Well my relationship sounds so confusing after you all say your "rules"
We are 2 people that dated seriously for a little under a year then because he couldnt say the L word called it quits. Then quickly ran back to me asking for an exclusive fwb, but its not that simple.
People we both know think we are dating and say it publicly. All holidays we celebrate together, gifts are given, dates are made, and we have date night even when there is no sex on the agenda

I think hes a commitment phobic though
He works 2 jobs, and in university full time with double major I dont think I coulsd ask to see him more if I wanted to. Which is now just weekends and the occasional weekday, schedule permitting
I dont know what to classify it as.
 jezebellpgh
Msg: 74
Posted: 2/16/2010 7:04:20 PM
Literally:

Then I'll call it disguisting, but yet again I've never acted like an animal in heat, I believe humans should behave on a higher level, but nothing should surprise me anymore.
 jezebellpgh
Msg: 75
Posted: 2/17/2010 3:22:03 AM
Big:

Its not personalizing it. I've never tried it, never will. Too bad most people are so horny and in heat they have to spread their legs for someone they aren't in love with. I should pity you.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Does "exclusivity" applies in FWB relationship?