Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 itechman63
Msg: 178
view profile
History
Rep. Alan Grayson - Republicans are Enemies of AmericaPage 9 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
^^^ So I guess we accept our doom in spite of the fact our nation has a long history of compromise in the past.

I think my point is made. Not much hope with negative overinflated egos insisting on division as the rule.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 183
Rep. Alan Grayson - Republicans are Enemies of America
Posted: 10/1/2010 10:21:54 AM
Well, no. The absence of a vote on extending tax cuts for all but those making over 250K was because the GOP would vote against it - and they'd still win the vote. This way they have a weapon to use in the mid-term: the Republicans won't let us keep your taxes down unless taxes for the richest are also kept too low.

Those tax cuts took your country from surpluses to record deficits. And that was during relatively prosperous times. The effect of fewer regulations and cops is what plunged your country into a recession.
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 184
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2010 10:54:14 AM

Those tax cuts took your country from surpluses to record deficits. And that was during relatively prosperous times. The effect of fewer regulations and cops is what plunged your country into a recession.
True

But top 1% pay most the taxes
When you have a country that have tens of millions of its workers making min.wage yes it appears this way.One needs to look at how many percents of your income is tax.

Its been proven there is no difference in incomes of Dems or Repubs,that's all just bad mouthing from GOPs,not a fact,total bull.

Like Warren Buffet stated his percentage of tax compared to his total income was half as much as his secretary. Its more about proportional not final numbers.It takes like 6000 regular full time workers to make as much as 1 Warren Buffet or Donald Trump,plus the rich write vast amounts off on real estate and such whereas the average american worker making $18000 do not have such write offs.One needs to make under $8000 to become one not owing taxes or owing little.They are not freeloaders either they are merely working fulltime for employers that pay them min wage with no insurance,is that there fault.It takes a 1000 teachers to make as much as Trump,yet the teacher is just scraping by yet paying far more percentage of their total wage in taxers than the percentage of the total, of a millionaire.

I think it should be a small flat tax on anything you buy,grass seed,milk,cigs,air flight,anything,same rate over the entire country or for any product ,no discounts,no write offs,just a simple across the board tax on anything you buy,like say 5%,poor people buy less stuff so they pay less tax,obviously,and rich people buy tons so pay a ton of tax,yet never a trace more than 5%.The country would become a wealthy country overnight .
 flyguy51
Msg: 185
Posted: 10/3/2010 1:02:33 PM

Vilifying....It's also what Grayson likes to do. Has anyone seen his new ad on tv? Good god! It's just outright mean when you see what his opponent really said in the full video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw1U7D4zlzU

Yes, I heard about this very bit of treacherous soundbite editing via John Stewart. Shameful, really. Grayson is over the top. Speaking of Stewart, I tend to prefer his style of infotainment over that of Fox News; I believe he is even more "fair and balanced."

The left-leaning MSNBC also interviewed Grayson about his propagandistic techniques:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd8VvpZbM1Y
 MrLove45
Msg: 187
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2010 11:11:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHqWMxdcjRA

I agree with Mr Grayson wholeheartedly and I sure wish the people like him and Howard Dean were the face of the democratic party ...

this was another occasion to see CNN doing there Fox News Lite persona
 flyguy51
Msg: 188
Posted: 10/7/2010 12:10:56 PM
Yeah, it's that liberal, mainstream, "gotcha" journalism at it again!
 hard starboard
Msg: 189
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2010 7:27:02 PM

What do you think of his statement?

I think it earned him a short political career.
 wisguyingb
Msg: 191
Posted: 11/3/2010 4:07:44 AM
This thread and Alan Grayson are now pretty much done.
 cotter
Msg: 192
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2010 7:22:09 PM
^^^I seriously doubt that Alan Grayson is done.

He's just going to take a breather and he'll be back ... in one way or another and I totally enjoyed his frankness.

I think he'll be back and I hope sooner than later.
 wisguyingb
Msg: 193
Posted: 11/4/2010 5:18:39 AM
^^Yeah maybe. But you also had high hopes on Obama putting a axe into that Patriot Act. So don't get your hopes up too much. Grayson did and said a lot of things that would hurt him in any type of future election. I did like how he was trying to stand up to the Federal Reserve. Maybe Grayson could get a job on MSNBC. He's a character and flair could possibly get their viewership over the thousand mark.
 MrLove45
Msg: 195
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2010 11:48:14 AM
While he won't be representing his district I sure don't think we have seen the last of our new liberal lion Mr Alan Grayson. Also good to see the conservadems get purged from our ranks too
 wisguyingb
Msg: 196
Posted: 11/7/2010 2:23:00 PM
^^Maybe he can take over for Mr Olberman on msnbc. I hear there may be a opening on that network.
 itechman63
Msg: 198
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2010 8:11:03 AM
I guess the moral to this story is that it doesn't matter which side of the political spectrum anyone falls, everyone's gone bat turd crazy these days.
 MrLove45
Msg: 203
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2010 7:33:15 AM
well I also noticed that as usual the republicans are making much ado about nothing....historically the minority power has done well and this was no different.
while the republicans should feel good that their obstruction,fears and lies were a sucessful technique and that some americans are still dumb enough to vote for a politician that don't give a damn a bout them or america. The only thing they care about is the top 5% of the wealthiest americans and of course wall street.
So go ahead and join that crocodile teared oranged glowed drunk boehner and watch the gridlock that's going to take place. I just hope that our president is savvy enough to get alot of americans back to work inspite of those unamerican republicans that's dead set against our democracy.
 MrLove45
Msg: 205
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2010 8:20:45 AM
Thursday, October 28, 2010
When independents turn stupid (and vote for Republican extremists)

By Michael J.W. Stickings

There are a number of reasons why Republicans will win next Tuesday, likely taking back the House (if not the Senate) and doing very well at the state level. The so-called "enthusiasm gap" is a big reason, with anti-government yet also theocratic Tea Party-led Republicans frothing at the mouth, as is the general and thoroughly irrational anti-incumbent sentiment sweeping the country. But it seems that "independents," that ever-so-important group, are also pushing this election to the GOP.

As Time is reporting, new polls show independents helping Republicans to the lead in four key Senate races:

-- In Pennsylvania, Pat Toomey is leading Joe Sestak 49-45.

-- In Kentucky, Rand Paul is leading Jack Conway 50-43.

-- In Colorado, Ken Buck is leading Michael Bennet 47-46.

-- In Nevada, Sharron Angle is leading Harry Reid 49-45.

Of course, independents are not the only group, or demographic, pushing these Republicans over the top. In Nevada, for example, Angle maintains "sizable margins among males, white voters and voters over 50." And, of course, these are four somewhat purple states where state-wide Republicans wins aren't at all surprising. It makes some sense, even if their specific policies/views do not, that Paul's libertarianism is popular, that Angle is ahead of a deeply unpopular incumbent (and Democratic leader), and that Buck may pull out a victory in a flip-flopping state that can usually go either way. Even Toomey's lead is understandable. Pennsylvania can be described as Pittsburgh and Philadelphia with Alabama in between. It's a purple state that is Democratic only because of its two metropolises. When the urban vote isn't there, Republicans can win.

I say that it "makes some sense," but at least three of these four are ideological extremists who shouldn't win, ever. I'll leave Toomey off that list, though he too has embraced the far right, such as on climate change. And, poor economy and anti-incumbent sentiment aside, it makes absolutely no sense that these three are leading, solidly, among independents -- most of whom, presumably, are more or less in the wishy-washy center, and who should be swayed against such Republican extremism even if they don't much care for what Democrats have to offer either.

Take Buck, for example, who is an anti-gay bigot and a theocrat who objects to the separation of church and state. Or Angle, whose sheer craziness, as she has proven throughout this campaign, is enormous. In this year of collective voter ignorance and insanity, of fear, anger, and bitterness dominating the political landscape and motivating voters to make terrible choices, it's almost surprising that independents aren't putting the supremely unqualified Christine O'Donnell over the top in Delaware. In some states, like Delaware and New York, where the anti-gay bigot and wealthy teabagger Carl Paladino will get crushed in the gubernatorial race, I suppose not even delusional independents are enough.

This, of course, would not be the first time that voters turned stupid. But while we can expect Republicans to embrace the most partisan and most ideologically extreme of their kind, independents are supposed to know better, are they not? Well, no. Some may suppose that they do, but they don't. The David Broder-influenced media drool all over independents, giving them a place of prominence they don't deserve, as if they are by far the most important voters in America, but, really, they often don't much of a clue and are easily manipulated, this year by Republican propaganda.

Call me a cynic, but I think this Family Guy clip about undecided (and hence more or less independent) voters (which I found here), with Lois running for mayor against incumbent Adam West and, on Brian's advice, resorting to GOP-style appeals to idiocy ("Jesus," "9/11" -- you might as well put "tax cuts" in there, too), says it all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YOh-rpvjYg

needless to say that Seth McFarland hit that nail on the head
 EarlzP
Msg: 208
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2010 6:31:58 PM

Its funny that the liberals had to quote 2 talk show hosts and only one politician who may have exaggerated to make her point but if you were to read HR3200 you will see that there will in fact be a "board" that will make health care treatment determinations...
The real enemies of this administration are information and Common Sense.

All smoke and mirrors keep the people divided fighting one another and while they are doing it they won't concentrate on the real issues confronting America, Right now just so we stay on topic the insurance companies not only determine what treatments will be covered but who will be eligilble for coverage so right now maybe it's a choice of who you want deciding what treatments will be available to you, it may be a choice of what board the insurance companies or a board of medical doctors and professionals

It is sad to see that propaganda against Fox is beginning to work... there are many news channels that openly support Obama, agree with and endorse everything that he does or says, one station tries to offer a more diverse opinion or perspective and they are vilified....
...certainly makes you wonder if Obama and his administration are being so honest and candid why would they have a problem with any media outlet researching what they are doing, who they are appointing, or what they are writing into the bills and amendments they are trying to pass?

I agree it is sad that we waste so much time arguing about meaningless trival sensationalistic journalism, it is almost like we are sheep being lead to slaughter, our country is in economic turmoil we need jobs and we are waiting for a miracle to take place

If they are worried about being misrepresented they should write the bills with more concise language, language that shows their true intent...when you use ambiguous verbiage it opens up the interpretation to debate...simple to fix..No panels to determine Health care treatments, treatments to be determined by individuals Doctor...No illegal immigrants will be allowed to take part in the Health care insurance citizenship will be verified via E-verify etc...

We need one bill one that would help save and create jobs here in America like the bill that was beat down the one below:

S. 3816: Creating American Jobs and Ending Offshoring Act
111th CongressThis is a bill in the U.S. Congress originating in the Senate ("S."). A bill must be passed by both the Senate and House and then be signed by the President before it becomes law.
Bill numbers restart from 1 every two years. Each two-year cycle is called a session of Congress. This bill was created in the 111th Congress, in 2009-2010.
The titles of bills are written by the bill's sponsor and are a part of the legislation itself. GovTrack does not editorialize bill summaries.

Summaries
Congressional Research Service Summary
The following summary was written by the Congressional Research Service, a well-respected nonpartisan arm of the Library of Congress. GovTrack did not write and has no control over these summaries.

9/21/2010--Introduced.
Creating American Jobs and Ending Offshoring Act - Amends the Internal Revenue Code to: (1) exempt from employment taxes for a 24-month period employers who hire a employee who replaces another employee who is not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States and who performs similar duties overseas; (2) deny any tax deduction, deduction for loss, or tax credit for the cost of an American jobs offshoring transaction (defined as any transaction in which a taxpayer reduces or eliminates the operation of a trade or business in connection with the start-up or expansion of such trade or business outside the United States); and (3) eliminate the deferral of tax on income of a controlled foreign corporation attributable to property imported into the United States by such corporation or a related person, except for property exported before substantial use in the United States and for agricultural commodities not grown in the United States in commercially marketable quantities.

Cloture vote on the Motion to Proceed to S. 3816
Purpose: Cloture votes are used in the Senate to end debate and move to a final up-or-down vote on the matter. The Senate cannot move forward until cloture is agreed to. Voting against cloture is essentially a filibuster. Because it takes 3/5ths of senators to achieve cloture, it is used as a tool by those against the matter to avoid the final simple-majority vote. Read more at Filibusted.us.

Number: Senate Vote #242 in 2010 [primary source: senate.gov]
Date: Sep 28, 2010 11:31AM
Result: Cloture Motion Rejected
Related Bill: S. 3816: Creating American Jobs and Ending Offshoring Act
Totals Democrats Republicans Independents All Votes
Needed To Win
Yea: 53 (53%) 52 democrats 0 republicans 1 independent
Nay: 45 (45%) 4 democrats 40 republicans 0 independents
Present: 0 (0%) 0 0 0
Not Voting: 2 (2%) 1 1 0
Required: 3/5 of 100 votes (=60 votes)
(Vacancies in Congress will affect vote totals.)

Lets keep arguing about which way our favorite media shock jock or jockette leans while our employment opportunities jump on ships and planes to relocate in China, actually I have a better idea, right now the two parties are arguing about the tax cuts,
The only way the tax cuts will work is if they are given as a credit for purchasing American made products, other wise the wealthy will squirrel the money away or those on the other end of the wealth scale (the under 250G) will spend it on items made overseas, we need job creation the only way the tax cuts will work is if they increase market demand for american made products. It is as simple as supply and demand for American made products will create American jobs and as those employed American workers will have money to spend. This is not rocket science WE NEED WORK, EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES

The time for using the tax credit should be one year if at the end of the year the credit has not been used the money should not be paid out, and then should be given to any American company that will use it to create American jobs through new technology
 cotter
Msg: 209
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2010 8:10:53 PM

Grayson should just go to work at McDonald's ...
Why would a millionaire do that?

He's a smart attorney who has earned his money the honest way.

Maybe he can take over for Mr Olberman on msnbc. I hear there may be a opening on that network.
Well, obviously there is no such "opening" on MSNBC, but I'd welcome Grayson there anytime ... I think he'd be great on MSNBC. (Personally, I think MSNBC would do well to get rid of that awful "Morning Joe" person ... Joe Scarborough. Speaking of "enemies of America!!!)
 wisguyingb
Msg: 210
Posted: 12/3/2010 11:45:23 AM
^^I actually like Joe on the morning Joe. He's like the Alan Colmes of msnbc. People like Colmes and Scarborough bring conflict and arguments into the conversation.
 cotter
Msg: 212
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2010 1:18:59 PM

Personally, I think MSNBC would do well to get rid of that awful "Morning Joe" person ... Joe Scarborough.

I actually like Joe on the morning Joe.
He's nothing more than a Republican parrot-head who does everything he can to dominate the subjects ... and runs all over his co-hostess (Mika Brzezinski) whenever he can. I think that's why he recruited her ... because he knew he could dominate her.

I wonder if the problem he had with Lori Klausutis was that he couldn't dominate her?
http://surftofind.com/scandal
A few months after Klausutis' death, responding to a question by Chris Matthews about what would happen to an aide left his employ and wrote about him, Scarborough blurted out "I think they'd be in danger."

Don Imus surprised Scarborough with a question from left field: "You said you had sex with that intern and then you had to kill her." Scarborough, laughing, replied, "Yeah, well what are you gonna do?"

That scumbag Joe sure can't dominate Rachel Maddow ... remember when he walked off the set of David Gregory's "Race to the White House" that day back in April 2008 when Rachel put him in his place?

Why do male pundits have such issues over being put in their place by female pundits? Maybe it's because female pundits do such a great job of exposing the game for all to see? Anyways ... you'll not find Joe Scarborough to be even half as honest and clear as Rachel Maddow.

At any rate ... I think Congress is losing a good man in Alan Grayson. I seriously doubt he's done with politics. I sure hope not. In the meantime, we need him at MSNBC ... kick that Joe scum to the curb and put an upstanding person in there.
 MrLove45
Msg: 213
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2010 12:02:49 PM
The bill you mention is just a band-aid on a corpse. We need to make this country a place where people will want to open businesses and invest in businesses.

maybe if they jail and fine those business that hire illegals and also tax the hell out those that take their companies out of the country to exploit cheap labor
 Imported_labor
Msg: 215
Posted: 12/16/2010 7:11:30 AM

Taxing companies that outsource isn't going to make operating a business in the USA more competative. We still won't be able to compete with foreign companies.

Compete with foreign companies?

That is one of the favorite lines of those who would like Americans to be ignorant of the fact that most of the companies competing against us which are operating in foreign countries are largely owned by Americans, or their transnational shell companies, or they are subsidiaries of the larger American corporate entities. Those corporations outsource production to other countries where they exploit the workers with the cooperation of corrupt governments, and they export back the cheaper products back to the USA. They have even exported millions of job in the service and information industries. So when we need to talk with someone about the credit card account issues we get to talk with with a lowly paid employee working somewhere in India. It isn't easy communicating with them, but then, that's what you get for cheap labor.

Remove all the unfair advantages that the corporations have, like preferential tax treatment, prosecute them for all the crimes committed by their partners who violate the human rights of the workers in other countries, and in this country where they employ foreign workers for slave wages, and very soon you will see that American workers can compete very well when they have a leveled playing field.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >