Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nexthyme
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Retire from looking for love on POF and now on the ForumPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Hmmm wow you jumped early was it 9-09... I waited a year, then thought dang I am done with this, life is pretty good as a single person, so I guess single it is...

Then I gave one last over, and that is now history....

Patiences sometimes pays off...

Good luck
 daynadaze
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Retire from looking for love on POF and now on the Forum
Posted: 10/26/2009 10:24:16 PM
I have been on enough dating sites in the last 10 years to know when I came here that I was wanting to use the forum sections and nothing else. I really don't care if I never go on another date again, not because of dating site failures but because I am too damn tired to date anymore.
 BlueEyes1712
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2009 10:24:47 PM
I also go to the forums. I have stopped looking and writting in the POF profile section. Its just a waste of time, writtting, waiting and getting no where with my efforts. I dont think establishing a relationship was meant to be this hard and this much effort. It is a good means for those that find this sort of introduction a useful way of meeting but, I need more human interation, where there are actually people there in real life, like a meetup group, a singles social, ect. Profiles and meeting jst not for me. I did say hello to someone via the forums who I find very attractive and sounds nice but I have no idea what she thinks of me and she lives half way around the world, not that realistic to think our real live paths will ever cross. This is the reality of life, you usually end up with someone near by and live a convient life with someone compatable.
 dead fish
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2009 11:22:58 PM
It is the forums and the forums seems alright.
I wanted chat too. But they already told me chat is out of the question.
So forums it is and it's ok.
So let's post and get our post deleted sometimes and sometimes not.
It's all good.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2009 7:42:06 AM
Like most here in the forums, I don't invest much time in the dating side of the site. The forums provide great insight into the individuals here and I've had far better friendships develop from ideas that we've shared in the forums. They also serve as a warning to winnow out those who cannot "get us" in our curmudgeon years.

I've been on and off paid sites for the last few years, relying on that old luck and timing thing in hope of that last great love of life. Had a few near Ms. experiences, but tired of the dating aspect and more focused on friendship that may grow over time. My sister and several friends HAVE had quite good luck and timing on places like match and yahoodom. Sister Jo is now into her 5th year of ridiculous happiness with her match mate.

I think the difference between free sites and paid sites is that people are more invested in trying for a positive outcome when they pay to try to find their soul kin. On free sites we get what we pay for. There are lots of skittery, skeardy fishes in this pond. Budding friendships seem disposable and cheap as communications abruptly cease and they move on down the pool. The term POF itself implies the disposable nature of relationships. Of course the "futility bills" of paid sites are no guarantee of success, but I think the odds are better given what I've seen among my friends. It's all luck and timing folks. The older and more set in our ways, the more baggage we secretly stow behind us, and the more particular we become in what we desire, make the quest for love a bit more daunting, but giving up is rather silly.

I recently met a couple in their 80s that were acting like teenagers giggling and being publicly affectionate. I had to inquire as to the secret of the longevity of their love. They both giggled and admitted that they just met a couple months ago on a paid site.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/5/2009 9:54:56 AM
I skipped the looking part and came straight here 4 years ago, lol. But for me no good ever came from looking. I go with the flow, and whatever happens happens. I'd rather accidentally find someone and otherwise spend my time with things I can control.
 Vannili
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2009 12:21:26 PM
Msg:1,

You are very pretty woman, and your discription of your self is appealing that you are a good cook ect...but the title of your profile is a bit turn off>>> seek no BS man<<.
I myself is not a good writer, and I check other women's profile to read and learned from them. And as woman, I will pass , on your profile because it connotes negative vibes, what more of a man who is really looking for a good woman to date?

If you own a department store that only cater to young slim girl would you advertized "this store is not for old fat women bug off!!"

ChefInJeans
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2009 5:47:58 PM
I agree with many of the posters. Im not giving up, Im just here because what else would I be doing? The best part about fishing is the anticipation. Will this next tug on the line be the big one

Also keep in mind, this site has a fairly low population in grand respect to the world. As I post this there's only 134758. There's more people playing World of Warcraft right now then there are fishing

The best you can do is cast out a few lines, lay back in a comfortable position and wait. Enjoy a beer or beverage of choice, and just make sure you respond quick!

Rome was built in a day, and fishing is the patient man's (and woman's) sport.

Cheers
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2009 6:56:48 PM
LOL! Well, I had to join to get the little schedule of events in my local area there at the bottom of your email page.....you mean we were supposed to be looking for love? LOL! can you give me a description!
 kari135
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2011 4:21:13 PM

It's seems to me that we are being judged by a few lines in our profiles. I think more people should date more to find out what the person is really like. If you look ok, and you can write a good college essay, you get more dates. I want to know if we like similar things, but I need something to talk about on the date.

What lines would those be? I haven't come across anyone yet who actually reads profiles. Otherwise, why would someone want to meet me who also has mail settings that exclude me? Or get snarky when I say 'no, I can't meet you halfway between X and Y. Which part of 'I'm legally blind and can't drive' did you not understand?"

***shrugs***
 SunnyBlueSkies23
Msg: 35
Posted: 9/11/2011 4:34:37 PM
I'm with you. I was all excited when I first joined...........now.....not so much.I'd rather make new friends and add a few "bubbles " of my own to the forums........it's MUCH more interesting,and more "fish" are "nibbling" at the tempting bait! I still log in and look.but more to see if I have any new friends ,or for a shot of the giggles!
 Molly Maude
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2011 5:04:11 PM
I love the forums ... gives me the illusion of chatting with real people ... even tho I can't go to Butterfly's house to borrow sugar ... she feels like a friend ... and Kari ... and Vanilli ... and, in fact, several posters feel like friends ...

I'd love to have more "real" people in my "real" life ... till then ... I'm happy with my illusions ...

trinity818
Msg: 40
Posted: 10/17/2011 2:04:44 PM

My problem in life was that I wasn't picky enough and I didn't ask for what I wanted. I lowered my standards time and again.

That used to be me. I really miss pinkoleander. I was sorry to see her go.

I really enjoy the Forums. I've looked around at others. They are all so inane. POF is cool because it's worldwide and there are some VERY intelligent posters on this site.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >