Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 xxxDINOxxx
Msg: 49
legalized marijuana...a possible American reality?Page 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
IMO, if anybody ever does it first here it will be CA. Since they already are kind of close , in a way, with their legalized medical marijuana and medical growing licenses and all that , up in some areas in the northern part of the state. But frankly I don't see it happening statewide, even in CA, anytime soon.

And most of the rest of the states, forget it (IMO). I mean, most of the country (CA included) is having a hard enough time just trying to get (and keep) laws on the books that legitimize & recognize same-sex unions (something which even the most rabid "antis" must at some level realize does not directly impact their own lives or neighborhoods at all.......talk about allowing a legalized drug in their hometowns and the conservatives will go batsh!t).
 Pyro74
Msg: 51
view profile
History
legalized marijuana...a possible American reality?
Posted: 11/5/2009 3:19:27 PM

IMO, if anybody ever does it first here it will be CA. Since they already are kind of close , in a way, with their legalized medical marijuana and medical growing licenses and all that , up in some areas in the northern part of the state. But frankly I don't see it happening statewide, even in CA, anytime soon.

The initiatives will be on the ballot next year, and all polls say they will pass. So, on Jan. 1, 2011 possesion of up to an ounce of marijuana will be legal in Ca. you could also grow your own in a 5 foot x 5 foot plot.
And your wrong about Arcata. That city is an example of why it should be legal statewide. If it were, you wouldn't have everybody showing up and over running a small town, they could grow anywhere in the state.
 xxxDINOxxx
Msg: 52
Posted: 11/5/2009 5:51:02 PM

And your wrong about Arcata. That city is an example of why it should be legal statewide. If it were, you wouldn't have everybody showing up and over running a small town, they could grow anywhere in the state.

Well...I guess we will see what happens if it passes on that ballot or they fully legalize it (beyond just an ounce) statewide. CA may lead on this issue; the other states will watch how (semi-)legalization materializes there and follow if they like the results or deem it appropriate. For me personally I don't have a horse in this race really. I have never even tried it, much less been a regular user, and have only even found myself "around" it on a few occasions (never hung around with many real smokers) so whether it is legalized or not anywhere doesn't really matter to me , beyond a mild interest in seeing how it all pans out. I don't see it happening in this state (IL) anytime soon however, even though this state like many others could use revenues from taxing something like that.
 nebula22
Msg: 54
Posted: 11/6/2009 7:56:38 AM
I agree pot should be legal in every way...
But as far as the deficit goes , Not going to change until we get our government under control.
The crooks will just steal that money too.
They will hire more cops and come up with another reason to kick in peoples doors.
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2009 8:53:27 AM
Please go to http://www.drugsense.org/wodclock.htm "what is the cost of the war on drugs",I might ad ,a war that does not work !

43 billion dollars so far this year

1,566,646 People Arrested for Drug Law Offenses this Year ,Someone is arrested for violating a drug law every 17 seconds.

742,592 People Arrested for Cannabis Law Offenses this Year ,An American is now arrested for violating cannabis laws every 38 seconds.

3,205 Preventable HIV Infections this Year ,Nearly 4,000 new HIV infections can be prevented before the year 2010 if the federal ban on needle exchange funding is lifted this year.About 10 new cases could be prevented every day.
 xxxDINOxxx
Msg: 56
Posted: 11/6/2009 6:01:20 PM

43 billion dollars so far this year

1,566,646 People Arrested for Drug Law Offenses this Year ,Someone is arrested for violating a drug law every 17 seconds.

742,592 People Arrested for Cannabis Law Offenses this Year ,An American is now arrested for violating cannabis laws every 38 seconds.

3,205 Preventable HIV Infections this Year ,Nearly 4,000 new HIV infections can be prevented before the year 2010 if the federal ban on needle exchange funding is lifted this year.About 10 new cases could be prevented every day.

True, agreed. But the thing is, all this ^^^ , just like the "war on terror" (which is another jingoistic abstraction that cannot ever be definitively "won"), employs and/or has a lot to do with the employment of a hell of a lot of people. I'm not saying I agree with all the current drug laws, but this is just what I think; the industries that these "wars" feed, are bigger and ultimately more important and interwoven into the overall structure here than any movement(s) to end either one of them. Prison-industrial (even including various sectors of law enforcement), and military-industrial.
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2009 7:26:05 PM
Wow,wow,lets jail mostly innocent and non harmful people solely to keep other good citizens in work.Oh my god,and you even wrote it.Lets manufacture jobs at the cost of imprisoning basically good people so we can keep a prison owner happy and a lot of guards in work,geez hopefully if we arrest enough pot smokers we could raise enough cash to buy an Apache helicopter so we can even round more up,then praise god we could then have a reason to hire a couple good hard workin helicopter mechanics.

Please stop talking ,your really upsetting me,maybe if we round up old people too,since we're talking harmless people hurting no one but maybe there lungs,and old people after all are harmless too, then we could build a new prison and hire 400 good citizens to guard them .Praise Jesus. What is this a job creation plan from hell,WTF

War on terrror,all we did was screw up a whole country and allowed a jihad to expand and gave torrorists time to multiply,set us a trillion in the whole,and made big nasty bucks for gigantic corporations like Halliburton,Rockwell,and one or two weapon/armament companies,heck our fighting and dieing kids were creating jobs,thats a great reason to die,so Shell and Mobil Oil and Halliburton can make some insane extreme profit.And soldiers,they get paid,look at all this job creation.So its all a good thing !

JOBS FROM HELL !
 xxxDINOxxx
Msg: 60
Posted: 11/11/2009 7:50:44 AM

Please stop talking ,your really upsetting me,maybe if we round up old people too,since we're talking harmless people hurting no one but maybe there lungs,and old people after all are harmless too, then we could build a new prison and hire 400 good citizens to guard them .Praise Jesus. What is this a job creation plan from hell,WTF

no no no, I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean to say in the above post that I AGREE with keeping it illegal just to further feed the already bloated prison-industrial complex (and I definitely don't agree with keeping troops all around the world just to feed the bloated military-industrial complex either). I just meant to say that that is my hypothesis that this is the way things are (or at least that this aspect of it has something to do with it).
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2009 8:00:07 AM
Thank you so much for explaining that,I did misunderstand then at least my post explains how horrid those that do think that way are ,to perpetuate such madness.I have heard people say that.I am sorry for misunderstanding you,you made a good point !
 dmotz
Msg: 62
Posted: 11/11/2009 8:36:52 AM
I am sure that Barny "Sugar toes" Frank and his boy toy would love to have Marijuana legalized.
This way, they can get stoned and not have to go on national T.V and claim he has never seen the stuff...but since it was growing in his own backyard and his boytoy likes to light up..I can once again say Ol Barney is a lying piece of shit!

As for legalizing the crap...no...
 xxxDINOxxx
Msg: 63
Posted: 11/11/2009 9:16:09 AM
^^ That's true. There's definitely two sides to the argument that's for sure. And as a NON-user (and not really a fan personally) myself, I can definitely see where you're coming from and appreciate some of the points you bring up (even though I also appreciate the revenue-generating and regulation and certain other aspects of legalization as well).

In the end, personally, if I had to bet, I would say it will not be FULLY legalized in any of these 50 states, in the near future. America overall leans slightly more socially conservative than socially liberal, that's a known fact (or at least it doesn't lean socially liberal enough to fully legalize pot , I bet). But medical legalization probably will go a long way , in either case, and it looks like CA is taking the lead on that right now. That having been said, ultimately what you said at the end is correct; nobody will be completely satisfied with any outcome.
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2009 10:14:38 AM
I too do not believe anytime soon it will be legalized but are completely missing the boat if its not made to be medicine,people have known it to be for centuries.
It is very addicting, and in the hands of people who are just pot heads, legalization of the stuff will just cause people to make up some malady, and become seekers of it, this way now tho, legally, thru a prescription.
Also, I don't want to be around the stuff.
Its a total lack of knowledge here,why someone can make this statement.It is not highly addictive,there is not a shred of documentation that sates it is,its something that back back of ones mind might have heard off the ancient movie "Reefer Madness"
I am sure that Barny "Sugar toes" Frank and his boy toy would love to have Marijuana legalized.
This way, they can get stoned and not have to go on national T.V and claim he has never seen the stuff...but since it was growing in his own backyard and his boytoy likes to light up..I can once again say Ol Barney is a lying piece of shit!

As for legalizing the crap...no...
Classic to say the least,further proof as the no logic applies here,to the reason we may never see it legalized.Fist off to show his flavor,he makes a very bold,gay bashing statement,showing he has no respect for all people in the first place,let alone someone that could be helped by legalization.I would bet my house though that he smokes and drinks ! now that drug is highly addictive and kills millions worldwide,not one person on record has ever died from marijuana,not a single OD ever ,EVER! then drinking,ahhhh,now there's a winner,so many have died from drinking and those that killed as a result of being drunk,the families ruined to alcohol and the vast amount of medical related issues because of alcohol.God forbid if something mild and safe like Pot was legal.Most all resistance is from people that have not one clue as to what pot is like,they are ignorant on the subject.
 dmotz
Msg: 65
Posted: 11/11/2009 10:34:26 AM
Yo smiling....ALCOHOL is legal. I do agree that it kills and has ruined countless lives..but again it is legal...

As for my comment about ol Sugar Toes..you bet...He is a lying asshat. I am by no means ignorant on the subject my liberal know it all friend...
Pot is used for pain relief in cancer patients...Glaucoma patients... It does have it's uses..but to legalize it for general public consumption...nope..not gonna happen
 itechman63
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2009 10:51:11 AM

It does have it's uses..but to legalize it for general public consumption...nope..not gonna happen

I have definitely had my day as a young professor engaged in full scale research on the effects of hemp (Not really a professor... just a nice way of describing myself as a pot head in the day). And now if the circumstances align properly, I'd take a hit or two if offered.

I understand and don't disagree with the concepts as they pertain to crime, taxing, controlled supply, and the ridiculous costs of the war on drugs. I also believe that medicinal uses bringing relief to the ill should be allowed.

But in spite of my pro-weed leanings and all I don't disagree with, I'm not pro recreational legalization myself. If it's expensive and sort of hard to get, it's one less thing for the general public to use in over-indulgence too easily. Alcohol has been legal for too long before and since prohibition to criminalize but something like weed that's been illegal for so long, why open the potential Pandora's box.
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2009 11:21:49 AM

ALCOHOL is legal. I do agree that it kills and has ruined countless lives..but again it is legal...
I knew you would not get it,cigarettes are legal too,that was not the point,your claiming something not even close to the effects of alcohol and cigarettes should remain illegal,this is the typical response from drinkers and smokers who are against pot.I grew up around the politicians having double martini lunch breaks,drinking rye whiskey and bourbons through the evening,spouting off the dangers of marijuana,as if they were looking out for our best interests,bull. Pot is like comparing a Shirley Temple/Roy Rodgers to a whiskey sour or Long Island Ice Tea,its in different universes
As for my comment about ol Sugar Toes..you bet...He is a lying asshat.
Thats not what you meant by sugar toes !
 itechman63
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2009 11:23:42 AM
I do agree with that Wudger, but also keep in mind that for low-end crime is desired by the government for easy fundraising. Most law enforcement agencies are funded by fines (locally $1,200 for nothing more than possession of a bong) and especially on the sale of asset seizures. State prison funding is often based on the number of inmates at a particular facility... a crowded prison equals more state cash. Capacity or less prisons wouldn't be able to stay open.
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2009 11:31:38 AM
Too many have no idea how illegal pot is here is current penalties for my state of Arizona and randomly picking Texas and Alabama ,you can do life in those two states !Which one of you said,you might as well just grow it,what do you have to lose,uh,your life.This is why the law is so unfair,you would be doing less time if you murdered someone.Why do you think its currently so expensive,because you can do a 100 years !

ARIZONA PENALTIES

The possession of marijuana is a criminal offense. For possession of an amount less than two pounds the sentence can range from 6 mos. - 1.5 years and a fine of $750 - $150,000. Possession of two or more pounds but less than four pounds is punishable by 9 mos. - 2 years in jail and a fine of $750 - $150,000. Possession of four pounds or more is punishable by 1.5 - 3 years in prison and a fine of $750 - $150,000.

Any person convicted of personal possession or use of marijuana is eligible for probation. The court is required to suspend the imposition or execution of the sentence. The person on probation is required to participate in an appropriate drug treatment or education program and may be required to attend a more stringent treatment program for a second offense. Persons convicted of a third or subsequent offense are not eligible for probation. Persons on probation must also submit to urine drug tests as a condition of their probation with the only exception being made for those who use marijuana under a prescription.

The penalties of possession for sale of less than two pounds of marijuana are 1.5 - 3 years in prison and a $750 - $150,000 fine. For amounts of less than four pounds, the penalties increase to 2.5 - 7 years in prison and a $750 - $150,000 fine. Possession for sale of four pounds or more is punishable by 4 - 10 years in prison and a $750 - $150,000 fine.

Production or cultivation of less than two pounds of marijuana is punishable by 9 mos. - 2 years in jail and a $750 - $150,000 fine. For less than four pounds, the penalties increase to 1.5 - 3 years in prison and a $750 - $150,000 fine. Production of cultivation of four pounds or more is punishable by 2.5 - 7 years in prison and a $750 - $150,000 fine.

Sale or delivery for sale of less than two pounds of marijuana is punishable by 2.5 - 7 years in prison and a fine of $750 - $150,000. Sale or delivery of two pounds or more is punishable by 4 -10 years in prison and a fine of $750 - $150,000.

Possession or sale within 300 feet of a school, on any public property within 1000 feet of any school, at any school bus stop or on any bus transporting pupils to or from school adds an additional one year to the sentence and requires a minimum fine of $2,000.

Possession and sale of paraphernalia is punishable by 6 mos - 1.5 years in jail and a fine of up to $150,000

TEXAS PENALTIES

* With no prior felony convictions, if convicted of possession of less than one pound of marijuana a judge must impose a sentence of probation with mandatory drug treatment. If no treatment center exists within the jurisdiction, the judge may waive the treatment requirement. They judge can also waive all fines.

** Unless previous conviction of paraphernalia sale or possession (if previous conviction, 90 days to 1 year). Paraphernalia sale to a minor at least 3 years younger than actor- State Jail Felony = 180 days-2 years; $10,000

Possession of two ounces or less of marijuana is punishable by up to 180 days in jail and a fine up to $2,000. Possession of greater than two ounces is punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine up to $4,000. For greater than four ounces the penalty increases to 180 days - two years in jail and a fine up to $10,000. Possession of greater than five pounds carries a penalty of 2 - 10 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000. For greater than 50 pounds the penalties increase to 2 - 20 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000. For any amount greater than 2,000 pounds the penalty is 5 - 99 years and a fine up to $50,000.

The penalty for delivery, without remuneration, of one-quarter of an ounce or less is up to 180 days in jail and a fine up to $2,000. For delivery or sale of one-quarter of an ounce or less the penalty is up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $ 3,000. For delivery or sale of amounts greater than one-quarter ounce of marijuana the penalty increases to 180 days - 2 years in jail and a fine up to $10,000. Sale or delivery of greater than five pounds is punishable by 2 - 20 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000. The penalty for delivery or sale of greater than 50 pounds is 5 - 99 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000. For any amount of 2,000 pounds or greater, the penalty is a mandatory minimum 10 - 99 years in prison and a fine up to $100,000.

Any sale to a minor is punishable by 2 - 20 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000. Sale within 1,000 feet of a school or within 300 feet of a youth center, public pool or video arcade increases the penalty classification to the next highest level.

Repeat Misdemeanor Offenses:

* If charged with a Class A misdemeanor and defendant has been before convicted of a Class A misdemeanor or any degree of felony = 90 days-1 year; $4,000
* If charged with a Class B misdemeanor and defendant has been before convicted of a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or any degree of felony = 30 days-180 days; $2,000
* If charged with a Class C misdemeanor and defendant has been before convicted under one or a combination of the two above three times and the prior offense was committed within 24 months of incident = > 180 days; $2,000

Repeat Felony Offenses:

* If charged with a state jail felony punishable and defendant has previously been finally convicted of two state jail felonies, on conviction the defendant shall be punished for a third-degree felony.
* If charged with a state jail felony punishable and defendant has previously been finally convicted of two felonies, and the second previous felony conviction is for an offense that occurred subsequent to the first previous conviction having become final, on conviction the defendant shall be punished for a second-degree felony.
* If charged with a state jail felony or of a third-degree felony and defendant has been once before convicted of a felony, on conviction he shall be punished for a second-degree felony.
* If charged with a second-degree felony and the defendant has been once before convicted of a felony, on conviction he shall be punished for a first-degree felony.
* If it is a first-degree felony and defendant has been once before convicted of a felony, on conviction he shall be punished by imprisonment in the institutional division of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice for life, or for any term of not more than 99 years or less than 15 years. In addition to imprisonment, an individual may be punished by a fine not to exceed $10,000.

ALABAMA PENALTIES

Possession of marijuana is a criminal, arrestable offense. For possession of an amount of one kilogram (2.2 lbs) or less, the crime is a Class A Misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $6,000. A second offense for minor marijuana possession becomes a Class C felony, carrying a possible penalty of not more than 10 years and not less than one year and one day, nor more than a $15,000 fine. For possession of any amount over one kilogram, the crime is a felony, punishable by 1 - 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $15,000.

The sale, cultivation or manufacture of marijuana is a felony offense. If the amount is one kilogram or less, the mandatory minimum sentence is three years in prison and a fine of up to $25,000. For an amount greater than one kilogram but less than 100 lbs, the sentence is a minimum of five years in prison and a fine of up to $50,000. For an amount up to 500 lbs, the sentence is a minimum of 15 years in prison and a fine of up to $200,000. Any amount of 1,000 lbs or greater is punishable by life without the possibility of parole.

The penalties for sale of marijuana are enhanced if the sale takes place within a three-mile radius of a school or public housing project, adding five years to the sentence for the sale. Sale to minors (under 18) can increase the penalty by 10 years to life in prison, and no suspension or probation can be granted to this sentence.

The possession or sale of drug paraphernalia is a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $2,000. If the paraphernalia is sold to a minor at least three years younger than the seller, the penalty becomes a felony and is punishable by 2 - 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.

Any conviction for possession, sale, manufacture or cultivation also results in the suspension of the offender's driver's license for a period of six months.
 xxxDINOxxx
Msg: 72
Posted: 11/11/2009 11:51:06 AM
Yeah. I'd never really looked into it before but it looks pretty stiff actually here in IL too. Probably explains at least a fair portion of the guys and girls currently overcrowding the hell out of the (already bad enough when not overcrowded) Cook County Jail ....

http://www.myillinoisdefenselawyer.com/il-criminal-charges/drug-possession-marijauna/

this is a defense atty site, but still, it seems to have the relevant facts on it (capitalizations my own...) :

"It is illegal to possess ANY amount of Marijuana (Cannabis) in Illinois. As the amount increases, so does the severity of the crime and legal penalties for Marijuana possession under Illinois law...

How Do We Fight Marijuana Charges?

There are many possible legal defenses, but most cases fall into two categories:

1. Challenge the Search: Many people are surprised how often the police are sloppy about proper procedure. Your right to be protected from illegal search and seizure is sacred under the Constitution. You cannot be stopped or searched for no reason, without a warrant.
2. Challenge “Possession”: Just because a substance was near you, or even in your car or in your home doesn’t mean it was yours, and doesn’t mean knew it was there. If friends were with you, we can argue that it may have belonged to someone else...

Under Illinois marijuana laws (720 ILCS 550/4), it is unlawful for ANY person knowingly to possess cannabis, in ANY measurable quantity. The penalties for marijuana possession are as follows:

1. Not more than 2.5 grams: Class C misdemeanor (up to 30 days in jail, fines up to $2500)
2. More than 2.5 grams but not more than 10 grams = Class B misdemeanor;
3. More than 10 grams but not more than 30 grams = Class A misdemeanor; (Subsequent offense = Class 4 Felony)
4. More than 30 grams but not more than 500 grams = Class 4 felony; (Subsequent offense = Class 3 felony)
5. More than 500 grams but not more than 2,000 grams = Class 3 felony;
6. More than 2,000 grams but not more than 5,000 grams = Class 2 felony;
7. More than 5,000 grams = Class 1 felony.

Marijuana Distribution / Manufacturing Offenses & Penalties

You can be charged with distribution or intent to distribute any quantity of marijuana. Even if the substance in question was for your personal use, how it is packaged, or the presence of common household items (plastic baggies, ties, a scale) may lead to the more serious charges.

We can challenge any intent to distribute marijuana offense, and argue that the charges should be immediately reduced to simple possession. Any time our defense team can take more serious charges and penalty risks off the table, we will argue that point in court.

Under Illinois criminal statutes (720 ILCS 550/5), it is unlawful for any person knowingly to manufacture, deliver, or possess with intent to deliver marijuana/cannabis. The penalties are as follows:

1. Not more than 2.5 grams = Class B misdemeanor;
2. More than 2.5 grams but not more than 10 grams = Class A misdemeanor;
3. More than 10 grams but not more than 30 grams = Class 4 felony;
4. More than 30 grams but not more than 500 grams = Class 3 felony. A fine of up to $50,000 may be imposed;
5. More than 500 grams but not more than 2,000 grams = Class 2 felony. A fine of up to $100,000 may be imposed;
6. More than 2,000 grams but not more than 5,000 grams = Class 1 felony. A fine of up to $150,000 may be imposed;
7. More than 5,000 grams = Class X felony. A fine of up to exceed $200,000 may be imposed."

and itechman, right........that's a part of that whole prison-industrial complex I was talking about before....
 merrakesh
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2009 3:43:28 PM
But I think that is the idea... to give police the feeling that they are doing something and the prosecutors something to prosecute... Lord knows what they would do if they had to go investigate and prosecute REAL criminals! And then sending people to prisons and jails to beef up the number of inmates so lawmakers can provide jobs for the unskilled laborers in their constiuencies! This is all one big joke.. but somehow it makes me want to cry!
 xxxDINOxxx
Msg: 76
Posted: 11/15/2009 3:48:44 PM
Yeah, but , cartels or not, I'd not be in favor of legalizing anything besides pot at most. Just IMO..
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2009 10:23:59 PM
In the Netherlands they have the heroin users come to the clinic to keep it safe,avoid the AIDS ,and drop the crime associated with it,I think it remains illegal though,but certainly not like us.Still it was only the crime aspect I worried about with heroin,someone robbing daily to get a fix,even though not all rob,but that was my worry those that did.I'm not concerned with how it affects their health,that's there choice.

Meth is scary to me,it should be to you too,it creates monsters .Of every drug out there,Meth is the only one that's completely scary.We have cartels because the value of anything illegal is so great,that's the thing of prohibitions,they breed bad organizations,those going for extreme profits,take the value off it and the cartel goes away,well only for what you made legal,they will still be doing human trade,I know that's horrible but seems the way it currently is .Anyways Meth should be treated like a severe medical issue,not a jail,but forced drying out or something,forced rehab.

They learned in the Netherlands and here too that only a certain part of a population does real hardcore drugs such as heroin,its not like people are racing out to get it.Meth ,and is crack meth?dumb question maybe,breaks the rules of who uses.Most folks are just fine with a joint or a drink.How much of this is rebellion in young people,simply starting drug use because its taboo,I'd love to see a study,its just like a girl loves the bad boy,he's taboo,and exciting.This plays a little into drugs,that its illegal and taboo.In Europe they are open about many things we find taboo,so they lack the vast majority of obsessions we have,even nudity is a normal thing,apparently schools in some countries do not see the need for swim suits and are coed,to them its a normal thing,pedophiles are rare,yet in our country filled with taboos we seem to have all sorts of societal problems other countries have low incidents in.

I would love to see studies on how many do different things just because its taboo.When I was in school,34 years ago,even some teachers smoked pot,I know, I smoked with them,even our school narcs that wore suits and patrolled the halls,both of them got high.I got stoned and started smoking cigarettes solely because everyone was,well it appeared everyone was,heck it was 1974 and it was taboo,both were illegal at my age,that's why I wonder as an adult,just how much does taboo play into the whole scheme of things.

I think a lot of money needs to go into lots of research on decriminalizing the vast amount of drugs,and start treating some things as medical and emotional problems rather than breaking the law,the health and societal implications need to be taught at a very early age all through school,but it needs to be the gods honest truth not all the made up bull like reefer madness.I don't have all the answers but see how things have worked in the Netherlands for decades.It works a heck of a lot better than here,just the reduction in crime makes it worth studying a lot closer.Legalized marijuana is a great start,thats one less thing the gangs and drug cartels would peddle.
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2009 7:22:27 PM
you just explained how well our system could work if we stopped being such christian ,morally superior ,stuck up prudes !
 JWG86
Msg: 84
Posted: 11/16/2009 7:37:32 PM
Meh, my friends lived in India for a while. Pot is like coffee there. I guess it can be said that almost anything we do is unhealthy. Certainly cheeseburgers kill more people per year than canibus. If it were legal, I still would not smoke it though. I'm just not a smoker. Been around pot, coke, ice, etc. most of my adult life (which I consider began at age 19, when I lived alone and went to college). It just never appealed. I don't have much of a problem with it as long as others who don't want to be involved aren't (this includes driving under influence, etc.), it's just not my thing.

All this being said, almost all I see on the psych floor are detox and rehab patients, and if you think this stuff (yes, even pot) won't fry you, you are sadly mistaken. Abuse anything chemical and you are in for a rude shock, or rather, those close to you are. You probably won't "get it".
 JWG86
Msg: 86
Posted: 11/16/2009 7:50:51 PM
Twister, I see people in the psych ward every week that medicated with canibus. They were much better off dealing with the pain than the other issues they now have. Everything in moderation. There needs to be control for canibus just like there does any other drug.
 xxxDINOxxx
Msg: 87
Posted: 11/16/2009 8:00:23 PM
What about people who were born with bad asthma like me, who could literally never smoke, not even a tobacco cigarette much less a joint ? I have seen now they have in some of these medicinal cafes edible pot (apparently it's inside the cookie, or the brownie, something like that), but does that convey the same effect(s) or ...does it have any other effects, or?? Such as upset stomach (from ingesting something that's usually smoked, etc.)? I only ask out of curiosity after watching all these recent documentary programs on cable lately.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >