Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 89
view profile
History
legalized marijuana...a possible American reality?Page 3 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
It takes far more to cook with it,it could be just swallowed in a capsule,you would get higher than off smoking and no there are no ill effects of pot in the stomach,which is why it has been superior for chemo patients that had lost all ability to have an appetite.And this nonsense of all these effects from those on the psych ward are nonsense.Most all misinformation comes from ones that have never smoked it and think they know what they are talking about,and for all those that have smoked it 20,30,40,50,60 years daily,they might smirk at one that tried it once or twice and then formed this so called educated opinion of it.
 JWG86
Msg: 90
legalized marijuana...a possible American reality?
Posted: 11/16/2009 8:32:35 PM
Well, how many psych wards have you worked in or spent time in? This comes from my perspective of watching people in group therapy explaining how pot has cost them their jobs, familes, and kids.

But hey, someone MUST do something to know something about that thing, no? Such a shame there are so many doctors who have never had HIV, cancer, etc. etc.

I mean, hey, all I do is go to school to learn about this stuff to enhance my practice. See hundreds of people who have BTDT and take part in their therapy, but I guess I don't know anything becaunse I don't do it.

I never said a puff or two made you a veggie, I said OVER use of it caused problems. With pot, the addiction is usually more than the physical issues. Addiction is nasty stuff. However, it is indeed a gateway drug. I used to disagree, but after going to college for a few years and watching roommate after roommate progress from pot to X to cocain, I can agree that it is. No, not everyone will of course, but that's not to say it isn't more likely than not. I myself don't see a problem with it as long as it is used INTELLIGENTLY and with a thought to the future. Kindof like alcohol or any other substance.
 JWG86
Msg: 92
Posted: 11/16/2009 8:56:02 PM
I think the main problem is that people need to go external instead of going internal to find happiness. That is the root of addiction, whether it be god,sex, drugs, alcohol, work, whatever. The inability to cope with life or to elevate your mood without relying on something else is a dark place to be.
 Pyro74
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2009 3:39:31 AM

However, it is indeed a gateway drug. I used to disagree, but after going to college for a few years and watching roommate after roommate progress from pot to X to cocain, I can agree that it is.

What about alcohol? You guys never drank it in college? Or did you just purposely leave it out to support your position. I think alcohol introduced more people to harder stuff than marijuana ever did. But, I don't suscribe to the "mothers milk" theory. People are going to do drugs, and the ones with underlying pyschological problems will move on to harder and harder ones. It's a natural progession that you simply cannot blame on one substance.
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2009 5:54:17 AM
Ok sure I agree on they extreme,the crazies and the kind of crazies in a psych ward have a problem with everything.I have never done Heroin or Meth/crack/ice but know statistically its some nasty stuff.But when it comes to pot,you don't any of the documentation you have for the others,instaead of all experts being afraid of the drugs ,with pot almost everyone is saying its the opposite,you can't even compare it to tobacco or alcohol its such a minor player.No one has ever OD'd,no one thought he could fly so jumped off a skyscraper,there is no report that anyone has ever died solely from marijuana.So yes if you want the bring up a psych ward or rehab then even chocolates and sweets now will have ruined peoples lives and marriages as turned in 500 lb blobs and all the diseases of overeating and fats and sugars have consumed there bodies with diabetes and such.Perhaps the argument is,well of course we should legalize pot its the evil bad food and over consumption that we should make illegal.

Yes you will always find the extreme end of the scale that has people talking badly about pot and on the same hand you can easily go to any block and have ones talk of the evils of sugars ,fats,meth and heroin.Pot is a Pee wee player compared to most anything else and until people that have no knowledge of that because they have never smoked it yet continue to throw it into comparison of other hard things like sweets ,fats,Heroin and meth it will never become legal.

Some of the most damaging info thrown into the arena throughout the years were legislators,and politicians,and doctors that tried to compare it to things ten times more damaging to the human body,such as sugar and fats.They though had never smoked it themselves.

Pot has no evidence that it is any more of a gateway drug as is cigarettes or alcohol.I can think of people I knew in the 70s,80s,90s that never smoked pot but they did do coke,and countless people that took daily speed(crosstops) for work,they didn't ever smoke pot.Its your gateway theory,its your opinion.Of all the people I knew that smoked pot then gateway'd into harder drugs I noticed they all drank water, and also submit that 86% of them ate eggs,there you have it
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2009 8:01:46 PM

well, if they do legalize it....I got 5 acres ready to plant a seed and grow it. I would be legally allowed to sell it? Hell yeah! I would sell an ounce for 10 dollars and tell the government I sold it for 1 dollar. So much for all those taxes the government supposedly would collect. I would sell 20 ounces in a week and tell the government I sold only one. So much under the table transactions would keep the government from taking in all those taxes they claim they would receive. What a joke! The American public is being duped yet again by those liberals.
the only thing that is a joke is what you said,and to think its ideas like yours that keeps this illegal.Almost everything I have ever heard to keep it illegal for my life has been as illogical as your idea.Either all ideas are strictly fear,or fabricated facts,not actual facts,fake scientific studies,flawed studies,industries falsifying info to keep themselves in business due to the fact that if the truth was shown they would not stay in business (like the war on drugs,billions and billions of dollars ,tens of thousands of jobs to run to war)or all hype and the sky will fall crap as your trying to peddle !
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2009 9:08:38 PM
For the vast majority of people it never was about how to tax it and if it can't be forget it,its about real valid reasons.742,592 People Arrested for Cannabis Law Offenses this Year ,An American is now arrested for violating cannabis laws every 38 seconds,what a waste of valuable jail space ,a waste of my tax dollar and what a waste of my police officer brothers time,when he could be getting a real criminal.

Seems its better logic for some of you to have chronic pain people prescribed opioids,Powerful Narcotic Drugs like morphine, methadone ,codeine and oxycodone instead with common side effects include euphoria, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, constipation, dilated pupils and respiratory depression.

Seems if some here have nothing constructive to say they make jokes.Its a typical type argument the other side would come up with,nothing constructive,nothing with meat.

Please go to http://www.drugsense.org/wodclock.htm "what is the cost of the war on drugs",I might ad ,a war that does not work !

43 billion dollars so far this year

1,566,646 People Arrested for Drug Law Offenses this Year ,Someone is arrested for violating a drug law every 17 seconds.

742,592 People Arrested for Cannabis Law Offenses this Year ,An American is now arrested for violating cannabis laws every 38 seconds.

3,205 Preventable HIV Infections this Year ,Nearly 4,000 new HIV infections can be prevented before the year 2010 if the federal ban on needle exchange funding is lifted this year.About 10 new cases could be prevented every day.
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2009 10:06:47 PM
Your hard to believe,you really are,alcohol is a hundred times more destructive to a persons health and kills so many.Cigarettes kill tens of thousands a year.Fats and sugars kill thousands a year in health related diseases and none are illegal,yet for something that no one in history has OD'd over, or not one single death related solely to use of marijuana,and something that replaces 226 none prescription pharmaceuticals ,you state should be illegal.You are unreal,what can one even say to logic like this,unreal.People say all the time,how can something as harmless as pot be illegal,well here you are,logic from the other side just doesn't exist.Its ok to have known killer substances that kill thousands of users and innocent bystanders,but we must, by god, keep the mildest of them all illegal.You act like 2 years in prison is ok,so some guy has a quarter pound and we have to ruin his family structure and his career and pay $90,000 to keep him in for 2 years.

Pots not scary,people like you are scary.Unreal
 Evening_Storm
Msg: 104
Posted: 11/17/2009 11:41:25 PM
You're wrong on that one. The cops here in my town are ***holes and have nothing better to do but arrest your ass for stupid stuff. So i think it really depends on where you are and how much experience the cop has that pulled you over in the first place. Rookie cops are usually stuck up ***holes that haven't gotten over the "power/superior feelings" therefore hassle you more and would definitely arrest you for even a simple pot seed in your cars ashtray. But the older cops that have been on the force for many years will let you get away with more stuff.
 Evening_Storm
Msg: 105
Posted: 11/17/2009 11:55:56 PM
Though i am all for the legalization of marijuana, you make a very good point. I never would've thought of the negative consequences.
I only saw it as beneficial to many government funded programs. Because the underground marijuana industry brings in roughly 14.5 billion dollars a year, it would more then likely bring our current economic situation to a halt, if not bettering the economy itself.
On the other side of its legalization, marijuana helps us more then it does hurt us. Of course the government contradicts itself when they say that alcohol, which damages your liver and is the leading addiction in the US and leading cause of car accidents among young civilians, is okay. And that cigarettes, even now with the new chemicals for the fire saftey caution adding more risk than ever of dying from lung cancer, is okay. But yet continuously tells us that marijuana, which has very mild side affects and people who can't handle the side affects personally choose not to use the drug from their own observation, and the benefits outweigh the risks, is illegal.
 tjrogelio
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2009 2:23:06 AM
Here in Cambodia we have a franchise called 'Happy Pizza'. Yep, pizza baked with marijuana. If you order the extra happy pizza, be prepared to lose a day.
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2009 7:40:16 AM
Pariah,you have no idea what your talking about,first off you stated a quarter pound to 5 pounds gets you 2 yrs. so I do a rebuttal on a quarter pound,which is nothing,and you come back with all points on 5 pounds.

Secondly ,you talk as if you have judging in your back pocket as if your a trial lawyer for Texas or all your family is,thats not accurate,I have left you Texas 's current marijuana law,everyone does not get the good judge on his good day,at times examples are made,at times judges throw out the harse sentences,Texas states greater than four ounces the penalty increases to 180 days - two years in jail and a fine up to $10,000. BUT for your 5 pounds there is a big difference,Possession of greater than five pounds carries a penalty of 2 - 10 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000.

Now thats just simple possession,as done in Oregon widespread stories of those arrested stated police went into kitchen went through drawers,pulled out sandwich baggies,found the fishermans scale in the garage and turned it into sale of marijuana,yes Oregon has some rogue cops also.Sale or delivery in Texas of greater than five pounds is punishable by 2 - 20 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000.

As for what you can buy a oz for in Texas,your in fantasy land ,an oz is $500 to $650 $55 to $65 an eighth would also be normal for Oregon where its laws are favorable,Texas is hardcore ,its the cowboy redneck state,so the price goes up,after all Texas is * If it is a first-degree felony and defendant has been once before convicted of a felony, on conviction he shall be punished by imprisonment in the institutional division of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice for life, or for any term of not more than 99 years or less than 15 years. In addition to imprisonment, an individual may be punished by a fine not to exceed $10,000.

You tell of us drival, not fact,just your opinion,and not accurate at that !

TEXAS PENALTIES

* With no prior felony convictions, if convicted of possession of less than one pound of marijuana a judge must impose a sentence of probation with mandatory drug treatment. If no treatment center exists within the jurisdiction, the judge may waive the treatment requirement. They judge can also waive all fines.

** Unless previous conviction of paraphernalia sale or possession (if previous conviction, 90 days to 1 year). Paraphernalia sale to a minor at least 3 years younger than actor- State Jail Felony = 180 days-2 years; $10,000

Possession of two ounces or less of marijuana is punishable by up to 180 days in jail and a fine up to $2,000. Possession of greater than two ounces is punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine up to $4,000. For greater than four ounces the penalty increases to 180 days - two years in jail and a fine up to $10,000. Possession of greater than five pounds carries a penalty of 2 - 10 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000. For greater than 50 pounds the penalties increase to 2 - 20 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000. For any amount greater than 2,000 pounds the penalty is 5 - 99 years and a fine up to $50,000.

The penalty for delivery, without remuneration, of one-quarter of an ounce or less is up to 180 days in jail and a fine up to $2,000. For delivery or sale of one-quarter of an ounce or less the penalty is up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $ 3,000. For delivery or sale of amounts greater than one-quarter ounce of marijuana the penalty increases to 180 days - 2 years in jail and a fine up to $10,000. Sale or delivery of greater than five pounds is punishable by 2 - 20 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000. The penalty for delivery or sale of greater than 50 pounds is 5 - 99 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000. For any amount of 2,000 pounds or greater, the penalty is a mandatory minimum 10 - 99 years in prison and a fine up to $100,000.

Any sale to a minor is punishable by 2 - 20 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000. Sale within 1,000 feet of a school or within 300 feet of a youth center, public pool or video arcade increases the penalty classification to the next highest level.

Repeat Misdemeanor Offenses:

* If charged with a Class A misdemeanor and defendant has been before convicted of a Class A misdemeanor or any degree of felony = 90 days-1 year; $4,000
* If charged with a Class B misdemeanor and defendant has been before convicted of a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or any degree of felony = 30 days-180 days; $2,000
* If charged with a Class C misdemeanor and defendant has been before convicted under one or a combination of the two above three times and the prior offense was committed within 24 months of incident = > 180 days; $2,000

Repeat Felony Offenses:

* If charged with a state jail felony punishable and defendant has previously been finally convicted of two state jail felonies, on conviction the defendant shall be punished for a third-degree felony.
* If charged with a state jail felony punishable and defendant has previously been finally convicted of two felonies, and the second previous felony conviction is for an offense that occurred subsequent to the first previous conviction having become final, on conviction the defendant shall be punished for a second-degree felony.
* If charged with a state jail felony or of a third-degree felony and defendant has been once before convicted of a felony, on conviction he shall be punished for a second-degree felony.
* If charged with a second-degree felony and the defendant has been once before convicted of a felony, on conviction he shall be punished for a first-degree felony.
* If it is a first-degree felony and defendant has been once before convicted of a felony, on conviction he shall be punished by imprisonment in the institutional division of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice for life, or for any term of not more than 99 years or less than 15 years. In addition to imprisonment, an individual may be punished by a fine not to exceed $10,000.
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2009 10:12:21 AM
Thank you for the entertaining rebuttal.Its your argument that's nothing but flawed and I gave actual cut and paste of Texas penalties for marijuana.And I will have you know My famous Sheriff Arpeio here in Phoenix Arizona put a acquaintance of mine in jail,tent city,which is a giant set of tents out in the desert sun in the months of June ,July,and August,for 3 joints of marijuana on him,not peddling,personal use,3 joints.Our heat can be unbearable in the summer,average heat in the months are at least over 110 Arpeio when asked jokingly states the tents are like 135,actually they would be more like 120 ,but hey they put one fan in the doorway of these like 40 man heavy canvas tents.

And it was you that stated from a quarter pound to 5 pounds it was up to 2 years and I proved 5 pounds was up to 10 years and if its a second felony it can be life. lets see 10 years times $45,000 a year to incarcerate a prisoner,is $450,000 to house this person unless this is his second time,2 felonies, then it can be life,that would cost millions.Was a 5 pound holder a horrible Jack the ripper serial killer type vermin type animal,the bane of society that it deserves such a written penalty .Well yes as you see it.

Look ,you don't know what your talking about,you state an oz is the price of a 2 gram bag of Texas weed.You were off by like $500 .

Like I said it citizens like you that are the scary people out there,to think you could allow a country to jail someone so long for that ,is without a conscience ! Its written fact the war on drugs is clogging up our justice system,the FBI,the police,the DEA has all written about this that to much time and money is wasted on the small fry rather than the actual threat.They get it,why don't you,I have read many articles where police state they are bound by current law to go after the small time players they personally feel are not a problem nor a threat,and it directly effects their time in their shift to go after the more important stuff,that's why ones like you are so scary,your full of non factual opinion .
 itechman63
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2009 10:54:46 AM
I watched "Reefer Madness" the other night and laughed my ass off. That stuff they were smoking HAD to be laced or the best weed ever grown! Even funnier is that people today believe that's what weed does to you. Makes you jump out of windows and that you can't hear piano music fast enough.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2009 1:57:02 PM
The main reasons that the government likes things the way they are as far as marijuana being illegal. I really do not see it being legalized so easily especially in Texas.

October 13, 2005 - Granma International (Cuba)
The Prison Industry In The United States: Big Business Or A New Form Of Slavery?
By Vicky Pelaez (Taken from El Diario-La Prensa, New York)

Return to Drug War News: Don't Miss Archive

HUMAN rights organizations, as well as political and social ones, are condemning what they are calling a new form of inhumane exploitation in the United States, where they say a prison population of up to 2 million - mostly Black and Hispanic - are working for various industries for a pittance. For the tycoons who have invested in the prison industry, it has been like finding a pot of gold. They don't have to worry about strikes or paying unemployment insurance, vacations or comp time. All of their workers are full-time, and never arrive late or are absent because of family problems; moreover, if they don't like the pay of 25 cents an hour and refuse to work, they are locked up in isolation cells.

There are approximately 2 million inmates in state, federal and private prisons throughout the country. According to California Prison Focus, "no other society in human history has imprisoned so many of its own citizens." The figures show that the United States has locked up more people than any other country: a half million more than China, which has a population five times greater than the U.S. Statistics reveal that the United States holds 25% of the world's prison population, but only 5% of the world's people. From less than 300,000 inmates in 1972, the jail population grew to 2 million by the year 2000. In 1990 it was one million. Ten years ago there were only five private prisons in the country, with a population of 2,000 inmates; now, there are 100, with 62,000 inmates. It is expected that by the coming decade, the number will hit 360,000, according to reports.

What has happened over the last 10 years? Why are there so many prisoners?

"The private contracting of prisoners for work fosters incentives to lock people up. Prisons depend on this income. Corporate stockholders who make money off prisoners' work lobby for longer sentences, in order to expand their workforce. The system feeds itself," says a study by the Progressive Labor Party, which accuses the prison industry of being "an imitation of Nazi Germany with respect to forced slave labor and concentration camps."

The prison industry complex is one of the fastest-growing industries in the United States and its investors are on Wall Street. "This multimillion-dollar industry has its own trade exhibitions, conventions, websites, and mail-order/Internet catalogs. It also has direct advertising campaigns, architecture companies, construction companies, investment houses on Wall Street, plumbing supply companies, food supply companies, armed security, and padded cells in a large variety of colors."

According to the Left Business Observer, the federal prison industry produces 100% of all military helmets, ammunition belts, bullet-proof vests, ID tags, shirts, pants, tents, bags, and canteens. Along with war supplies, prison workers supply 98% of the entire market for equipment assembly services; 93% of paints and paintbrushes; 92% of stove assembly; 46% of body armor; 36% of home appliances; 30% of headphones/microphones/speakers; and 21% of office furniture. Airplane parts, medical supplies, and much more: prisoners are even raising seeing-eye dogs for blind people.
Crime Goes Down, Jail Population Goes Up

According to reports by human rights organizations, these are the factors that increase the profit potential for those who invest in the prison industry complex:

Jailing persons convicted of non-violent crimes, and long prison sentences for possession of microscopic quantities of illegal drugs. Federal law stipulates five years' imprisonment without possibility of parole for possession of 5 grams of crack or 3.5 ounces of heroin, and 10 years for possession of less than 2 ounces of rock-cocaine or crack. A sentence of 5 years for cocaine powder requires possession of 500 grams - 100 times more than the quantity of rock cocaine for the same sentence. Most of those who use cocaine powder are white, middle-class or rich people, while mostly Blacks and Latinos use rock cocaine. In Texas, a person may be sentenced for up to two years' imprisonment for possessing 4 ounces of marijuana. Here in New York, the 1973 Nelson Rockefeller anti-drug law provides for a mandatory prison sentence of 15 years to life for possession of 4 ounces of any illegal drug.

The passage in 13 states of the "three strikes" laws (life in prison after being convicted of three felonies), made it necessary to build 20 new federal prisons. One of the most disturbing cases resulting from this measure was that of a prisoner who for stealing a car and two bicycles received three 25-year sentences.

Longer sentences.

The passage of laws that require minimum sentencing, without regard for circumstances.

A large expansion of work by prisoners creating profits that motivate the incarceration of more people for longer periods of time.

More punishment of prisoners, so as to lengthen their sentences.

History Of Prison Labor In The United States

Prison labor has its roots in slavery. After the 1861-1865 Civil War, a system of "hiring out prisoners" was introduced in order to continue the slavery tradition. Freed slaves were charged with not carrying out their sharecropping commitments (cultivating someone else's land in exchange for part of the harvest) or petty thievery - which were almost never proven - and were then "hired out" for cotton picking, working in mines and building railroads. From 1870 until 1910 in the state of Georgia, 88% of hired-out convicts were Black. In Alabama, 93% of "hired-out" miners were Black. In Mississippi, a huge prison farm similar to the old slave plantations replaced the system of hiring out convicts. The notorious Parchman plantation existed until 1972.

During the post-Civil War period, Jim Crow racial segregation laws were imposed on every state, with legal segregation in schools, housing, marriages and many other aspects of daily life. "Today, a new set of markedly racist laws is imposing slave labor and sweatshops on the criminal justice system, now known as the prison industry complex," comments the Left Business Observer.

Who is investing? At least 37 states have legalized the contracting of prison labor by private corporations that mount their operations inside state prisons. The list of such companies contains the cream of U.S. corporate society: IBM, Boeing, Motorola, Microsoft, AT&T, Wireless, Texas Instrument, Dell, Compaq, Honeywell, Hewlett-Packard, Nortel, Lucent Technologies, 3Com, Intel, Northern Telecom, TWA, Nordstrom's, Revlon, Macy's, Pierre Cardin, Target Stores, and many more. All of these businesses are excited about the economic boom generation by prison labor. Just between 1980 and 1994, profits went up from $392 million to $1.31 billion. Inmates in state penitentiaries generally receive the minimum wage for their work, but not all; in Colorado, they get about $2 per hour, well under the minimum. And in privately-run prisons, they receive as little as 17 cents per hour for a maximum of six hours a day, the equivalent of $20 per month. The highest-paying private prison is CCA in Tennessee, where prisoners receive 50 cents per hour for what they call "highly skilled positions." At those rates, it is no surprise that inmates find the pay in federal prisons to be very generous. There, they can earn $1.25 an hour and work eight hours a day, and sometimes overtime. They can send home $200-$300 per month.

Thanks to prison labor, the United States is once again an attractive location for investment in work that was designed for Third World labor markets. A company that operated a maquiladora (assembly plant in Mexico near the border) closed down its operations there and relocated to San Quentin State Prison in California. In Texas, a factory fired its 150 workers and contracted the services of prisoner-workers from the private Lockhart Texas prison, where circuit boards are assembled for companies like IBM and Compaq.

Oregon State Representative Kevin Mannix recently urged Nike to cut its production in Indonesia and bring it to his state, telling the shoe manufacturer that "there won't be any transportation costs; we're offering you competitive prison labor (here)."
Private Prisons

The prison privatization boom began in the 1980s, under the governments of Ronald Reagan and Bush Sr., but reached its height in 1990 under William Clinton, when Wall Street stocks were selling like hotcakes. Clinton's program for cutting the cutting the federal workforce resulted in the Justice Departments contracting of private prison corporations for the incarceration of undocumented workers and high-security inmates.

Private prisons are the biggest business in the prison industry complex. About 18 corporations guard 10,000 prisoners in 27 states. The two largest are Correctional Corporation of America (CCA) and Wackenhut, which together control 75%. Private prisons receive a guaranteed amount of money for each prisoner, independent of what it costs to maintain each one. According to Russell Boraas, a private prison administrator in Virginia, "the secret to low operating costs is having a minimal number of guards for the maximum number of prisoners." The CCA has an ultra-modern prison in Lawrenceville, Virginia, where five guards on dayshift and two at night watch over 750 prisoners. In these prisons, inmates may get their sentences reduced for "good behavior," but for any infraction, they get 30 days added - which means more profits for CCA. According to a study of New Mexico prisons, it was found that CCA inmates lost "good behavior time" at a rate eight times higher than those in state prisons.
Importing And Exporting Inmates

Profits are so good that now there is a new business: importing inmates with long sentences, meaning the worst criminals. When a federal judge ruled that overcrowding in Texas prisons was cruel and unusual punishment, the CCA signed contracts with sheriffs in poor counties to build and run new jails and share the profits. According to a December 1998 Atlantic Monthly magazine article, this program was backed by investors from Merrill-Lynch, Shearson-Lehman, American Express and Allstate, and the operation was scattered all over rural Texas. That state's governor, Ann Richards, followed the example of Mario Cuomo in New York and built so many state prisons that the market became flooded, cutting into private prison profits.

After a law signed by Clinton in 1996 - ending court supervision and decisions - caused overcrowding and violent, unsafe conditions in federal prisons, private prison corporations in Texas began to contact other states whose prisons were overcrowded, offering "rent-a-cell" services in the CCA prisons located in small towns in Texas. The commission for a rent-a-cell salesman is $2.50 to $5.50 per day per bed. The county gets $1.50 for each prisoner.
Statistics

Ninety-seven percent of 125,000 federal inmates have been convicted of non-violent crimes. It is believed that more than half of the 623,000 inmates in municipal or county jails are innocent of the crimes they are accused of. Of these, the majority are awaiting trial. Two-thirds of the one million state prisoners have committed non-violent offenses. Sixteen percent of the country's 2 million prisoners suffer from mental illness.

http://www.november.org/stayinfo/breaking3/GranmaIntl.html
 raxarsr
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2009 11:31:47 PM
personally.........i DONT want to see pot made legal.............theres enough idiots on the road when their straight............i dont want to share the highway with a bunch of smoked up dopers.......its bad enough with it being illegal.......but legalize it..............no thx.....not interested
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2009 7:31:55 AM
So far on this site I have heard no good argument that states why marijuana should remain illegal,in fact some is preposterous ! Everything from cops usually don't even arrest people with less than two joints,and my state acquaintance got 3 months.To we could never control taxing it,people would grow it for free .Well since Tobacco is so addictive and loved then I guess every person in the country is growing tobacco then.I have made beer,its easy,so then I suppose everyone is brewing their own beer to avoid the tax.

Most the argument had had no weight,except the last one where I thought,its about time, finally someone sayin he doesn't want to be on the road full of idiots for a real actual happening right now reason,its bad enough now,he's talkin about the worst thing that ever hit our roadways ,the king of idiot drivin,right on,then I noticed he wasn't talking cell phones he was talking pot.

Pot ,give me a break,what they drive to slow in the slow lane for you,what,they're eyes are a little to glued to the road,to overly cautious for you !Texting is a 100 times more dangerous.

Peddling to our school kids,yes even I have a problem with an adult on a school yard peddling number 2 pencils or tablet paper,get him off the schoolyard.

School kids have been sneaking illegal or "not yet of the age to consume it" stuff since the start of time.Porn mags,cigs,liquor,pot,diet pills,sleeping pills.Thats an emotional problem not a drug problem .You will not get rid of that problem.

If 3 joints in a bad law state got you a $35 dollar ticket,that would be terrible enough,but in a bad state where it gets you 3 months in tent city under armed guards in 110 degree heat,that's criminal.If pot got you a civil penalty and not a federal wrap meaning 3 strikes and your out,automatic life in prison in a three strikes state.

If growing in your own home for personal use didn't get you 10 years in a federally penitentiary with killers and rapists and bank robbers,we wouldn't be talking in this thread.Its funny or sad,that the one here will call these last 2 statements sob stories and tell you all not to buy it,as if that makes the wrong go away,sure act like it doesn't happen then we can sleep at night.

When you go to a factual site you see stories against the current ways by some politicians,local town councils , cops,DEA,feds,FBI,drug testing agencies.Then you find there is something brewing,that its not just drivel from people that don't know anything beyond their own fear based opinion.
 xxxDINOxxx
Msg: 124
Posted: 11/19/2009 8:41:42 AM
^^ We smart "dittoheads" who can't spell Canada.
 xxxDINOxxx
Msg: 125
Posted: 11/19/2009 8:47:00 AM
^^ Read the whole thread and you will see that is actually not the case.
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2009 9:24:48 AM

well, this sure shows how we came up with the dumb drug laws we currently have.
It does,the current laws lack sound reasoning.I read his whole reasoning behind his thoughts each time and its not accurate.Even the part where it says no one cares about criminals,most people are quite concerned with a just criminal system,appropriate laws,abuses in the prison system,never having a Shawshank Redemption type situation again.There have been murder suspects out of prison before a pot person did his mandatory ,no parole ,10 years.

Just the fact you lack respect for our neighbors the Canadians irks me,just like when our fine neighbors to the south get lumped into one big bigoted basket,that irks me too,then you say stuff like no cares about criminals ,slander Canadians,and you are to be a voice of reason.

I don't buy your Government argument that they cannot do good,that's bull,any system where they place absolute rules and guidelines in it does fine,Even the Medicare,whats wrong there,whats wrong is the system has a handful of enforcement people to go after the crooks swindling our system our of tens of billions of dollars a year,that's what Obama stated we needed,I agree,its a fine system lacking people in its own enforcement area, That,s not untrustworthy government,that management procedure problems.Its not that the government cannot do right,it first needs a leader to state this is whats wrong,now lets do it.After 20 years of Republicans having had the power of the majority yes its true in many cases,many people don't trust the government.

Brand new shows years ago got the government and federal agencies to be warned the countries watching,and there were drastic differences,out came new shows like 20/ 20 and 48 hours and Geraldo Rivera and they showed these abuses on tv and things started to change they way things worked .But if you have the Rumsfields,Cheneys and Bushes type leaders that think wire tapping and torture and black sites are good and more lobbyists the better then some government has to work triple hard to prove they are not part of that brat pack.Its a black eye on all government if the leaders went rogue themselves.
 xxxDINOxxx
Msg: 130
Posted: 11/19/2009 11:06:14 AM

Just the fact you lack respect for our neighbors the Canadians irks me,just like when our fine neighbors to the south get lumped into one big bigoted basket,that irks me too,then you say stuff like no cares about criminals ,slander Canadians,and you are to be a voice of reason.

^^ Well said imalwayssmiling, I agree with you. I can't stand when Americans (well..... other Americans I guess I must technically say) rag on Canada. Having been there many times and always loved it, Canadians are some of the finest people in North America IMO. The US could do well to take some lessons from our neighbors to the north. As an American I'm envious (but not in a mean-spirited way) of several aspects of Canada and Canadian society.
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2009 5:14:26 PM

Be vigilant of those who use sob stories and parade out the victims in order to get what they want. It is an old liberal tactic used to persuade the minions into believing the rubbish they spew out.
Well at least thank you for explaining to people how such a law could exist,you show its best if you do not stick to facts and just go off conservative christian values and stay away from humane practices in medicine where if you take away the logic part,its better to use legal addictive narcotic opiates as medicine loaded with side effects rather than non addicting pot with no side effects.According to your lack of reasoning.The key here is don't use facts,don't use logic.
It never ends with liberals. They do not want a civilized society.
Oddly enough your prove that is what your side thinks.

Civilized people think like this ,that "its better to use non addicting pot with no side effects.Rather than legal addictive narcotic opiates as medicine loaded with side effects .
People don't have jobs and the libs are worried about legalizing pot. Go figure.
What is it with some republicans and conservatives,many said Obama was tackling to much at the same time,he should fix one thing then move to the next,Christ is only a democrat able to do 10 things at once.Legalizing pot don't take money and its a strike of the pen,If your idea of job creation is putting more harmless people in jail and prison so cops and guards,and the industries that support prison/jail life can expand then no I'm not for negative non humane jobs,hmmm,making money off another's misery.Is that what you mean by your world being civilized,imprison others so your friends can have work !
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2009 8:03:48 PM

okay okay you guys lose...Nobody in this country...who has any sense, cares what you Cantadians think.
Are you kidding me Canadians are great people,you know all people of the world have the citizens that are rotten apples,I cannot believe your calling out all the Canadians.Think this is where I'm required to inform you that talk like that can get you called a bigot.Just Sayin !
So you guys keep on rambling on because you aint gettin your weed legalized in this country.
Actually out of all the posts here many gave tons of factual information.I even originally in this thread gave words straight from the Feds,and police as to why its not worth the fight for something such as marijuana,so out of all the contributions ,a couple came in here just to throw out a few jokes and then you,so one might say you few were the only one rambling !others were bringing good facts to the table,you on the other hand wasted all of our time throwing out misinformation we all easily disproved with fact and actual documentation,you countered with opinion.when you are hit with a written document you for lack of anything solid to offer states its sob stories,typical opposition !
You Canadians need to worry about your children and the terrible child molestation going on in that country.

like we are ones to speak,I need to research this,but as the news accounts go,seems we might hold the record on pedophiles,this is not a fact its an opinion.
It's pathetic.
yes your opinions are and yet you continue to talk
 yna6
Msg: 137
Posted: 11/23/2009 10:50:16 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34108967/ns/us_news-life/

About a place in oregon that opened up for patrons to inhale cannibis fumes ina social setting rather than at home. At least those who qualify for medical use.

I doubt we'd see this in many Canadian provinces though. No smoking in bars, restaurants, etc. Can't even have a room dedicated to that aspect of the patrons.
I still don't understand why a few places cannot open with a smoking allowed policy! Smokers are being treated unfairly. It goes against human rights...my choice, my decision, taken away becasue some don't want ANY smokers. There are places for them, and I say there is room for smokers too.

Perhaps bars should be allowed to have smokers in it, or at least allow a number of them to open in proportion to the number of smokers vs non-smokers.
Kids aren't going to be in bars. Perhaps a certain number of restaurants that cater to mostly adults could be allowed a place too. Fast food places would NOT be allowed simply becasue too many kids are there.
 Daytona499
Msg: 140
Posted: 11/23/2009 6:34:51 PM
It's odd that we abide by some laws that have been in place for so many years. When you look at them in this day and age and they could benefit, rather than hinder our society. I mean it's not going to happen overnight or anything. But isn't it worth looking over the ol' rule book and seeing if we need to update something along the way?

However in the past year I feel like a criminal now when I go outside for a cigarette. That suddenly changed. Well I suppose it's been changing for awhile. Look back 30 years ago in movies, it was the cool thing to do. Now it looks like pot's the cool thing to do in movies. However there's so many hidden messages in movies now, it feels like the actor's/director's or whom ever are just making fun of our society we live in. I mean I think the best movie in that sense is "Idiocracy." Yet there are so many more. People just read the covers now. Take it for face value. When in fact there's some hidden meaning behind it.

Eitherway, looking back and the rules that were in place what seems like ages ago isn't a bad idea. Just a shame that the government seems out of reach. Like everyone knows that there's a government. However where is it? Who is it? Are they helping? Are they hindering us? They govern our lives more than any of us would like to admit. Just feels like it doesn't represent us anymore.

Oh and don't get me wrong. They do wonders for all of us. Just... Sometimes, question what you are being told... Just because you are told this is the way it is, doesn't mean your not allowed an opinion, or a voice to let that be heard.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >