Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ed Bear
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Send Quick MessagePage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I'd like to be able to disable it, too. The regular reply button shown the profile or mesage you are replying to already.

ED BEAR
 HawkingJr
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Send Quick Message
Posted: 10/31/2009 11:48:34 AM
I stand corrected. If people are complaining of more messages, then maybe it is helping the financial model (though I still have to believe this is canceled out by the "one less click" per message overall).

It takes some getting used to. I still found myself opening a new tab so I could view the profile and write my message at the same time -- which obviously isn't necessary anymore (at least until it is disabled).
 lsdime
Msg: 12
Send Quick Message
Posted: 10/31/2009 12:25:46 PM
this feature is completely redundant. I dont understand what all the fuss is about. Its alot like those paper towel dispensers that detect the motion of your hand in front of them and spit out a towel. Useless. It actually takes LONGER to get the paper towel than it would if you just grabbed it from the beginning....because now you have to wait for the paper towel to dispense, and STILL grab it anyway! But people love it, and restaurants and airports pay extra cash for this type of thing. And we think its better because we are told its better. Same idea here. Nothing has really changed.

If the site wants to actually make a real change around here, figure out a way to get the IM's back, and stop hiding behind the "third party" excuse. (there are alot of other "third parties" out there...its just a matter of putting in the effort).
 Stormwolf
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Send Quick Message
Posted: 11/3/2009 12:48:35 PM

I don't like it -- more messages, less decent content ...I vote for a way to disable it on my profile --

I don't agree! Trap & Cowboy, thanks for more(hundreds) messages, less decent content, don't dare disable it on my profile! LOL
 ~breathlesshush~
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Send Quick Message
Posted: 3/31/2010 7:41:26 AM
Ah yes, I noticed this last night. And yes, I have a default subject line in my mail settings; first thing I did upon discovery was check my settings to see if it was still there.

It is, and it doesn't say "hi", and I have never written an email that says "I'd love to chat".

No biggie, it can be deleted, but as others have mentioned, the possibility of getting dozens of emails that simply say "wanna chat" in a different way has risen exponentially.

:shrugs:
 HawkingJr
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Send Quick Message
Posted: 3/31/2010 7:50:46 AM
I did not choose a default subject line, but mine now says "Hi," too. However, I do not have "I'd love to chat!" in the body of the message. Which would be a very bizarre thing for me to say (and probably for most men, so I wonder if maybe it only does that for females?). So, to some extent, it does seem like a wink, but a rather peculiar one. Who is too lazy to write those 5 words? I still think shy women who want winks will consider that too much information to be sending a guy, but I could be wrong about that.

Balled Eagle: A few days ago, someone asked for profiles to indicate whether or not you had previously contacted that person. I pointed out that currently, a view of a profile is not determined in any way by the person viewing the profile -- even if you Google a specific profile without being logged in, it will look exactly the same as when any person on the site is logged in. What you're now saying is that this is no longer true: the default subject line YOU created is now showing up on the profile pages, correct?

In which case, there is now really no technical reason why they couldn't add a "You already contacted this person" indicator to the profiles, although financial reasons might remain.

EDIT: Okay, now I'm confused, since breathless' simulpost with mine says that she has a default subject line but POF is ignoring it. Eagle: The default subject line you created isn't "Hi" is it? :)
 ~breathlesshush~
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Send Quick Message
Posted: 3/31/2010 8:19:32 AM
The plot thickens...I just checked again, my default subject line is now showing up, but I still have "I'd love to chat" in the body.

Wonder why it seems to be showing up for only women (so far)?
 HawkingJr
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Send Quick Message
Posted: 3/31/2010 9:36:17 AM
"I now have chosen one and nothing has changed"

The secret, apparently, is to log out and log back in. I changed mine just to see what would happen, and like with you, nothing happened -- still got "Hi." So I logged out and logged back in, and now it says "How's it going?"

Which means the profile pages are now indeed indicating something related to the viewer of the profile, which means they should also be able to add an "already contacted" indicator (but probably won't, because accidental multiple first contact attempts increase page views, which increase revenue).

But still only women get "I'd love to chat." We'll see how that works out for me. Can't really imagine the woman who tries to contact MY profile would just say "I'd love to chat." It's almost insulting, considering I maxed out the profile space!
 .Selena.
Msg: 29
Send Quick Message
Posted: 3/31/2010 3:40:23 PM
Oh. My. God.

admin just basically handed a form letter to every man on the site that they can use with his blessing. I will delete every email that I get that has the "Hey, wanna chat" thing. This is hands down the most ridiculous new feature he's come up with thus far (but I have no doubt in my mind he will outdo himself and make another even more useless ridiculous feature).
 .Selena.
Msg: 31
Send Quick Message
Posted: 3/31/2010 4:20:16 PM
^^ Thanks. I thought of that, and then figured since this was a Quick Message, which is kind of like a wink on that other paid dating site, that the Quick Message would override my mail settings. I'm going to set it up just in case.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Send Quick Message
Posted: 3/31/2010 5:18:23 PM
"admin just basically handed a form letter to every man on the site that they can use with his blessing."

Actually, I don't think there's any proof yet that men have this "form letter." We get a default subject line, but no "I'd love to chat" message (any guy different from the ones who have posted here so far?). I assume you have to type SOMETHING in the box to be able to send a message. It is interesting, however, that the site officially discourages form letters and yet has now actually given one to women.

Is this the first truly sexually discriminating move the site has made? Other decisions have been made that help far more women than men, but they still help some men. This appears to be ONLY for females.
 .Selena.
Msg: 35
Send Quick Message
Posted: 3/31/2010 6:26:49 PM

Actually, I don't think there's any proof yet that men have this "form letter." We get a default subject line, but no "I'd love to chat" message

It is on your profile, I see it.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Send Quick Message
Posted: 4/1/2010 6:06:43 AM
I think you're misunderstanding. When I click on your profile, the only new thing that shows up is my default subject line "How's it going?" There is nothing in the text box on your profile from my logged-in point-of-view.

However, when women such as yourself are logged in and looking at a man's profile such as mine, in addition to the default subject line, you also have "I'd love to chat" in the message box.

What I'm saying is, men don't have a form letter to women already written for them. Women do have a form letter to men already written for them. The only reason you would be getting "I'd love to chat" messages from men is because those particular men decided (rather foolishly) to type that into the text box on your profile.
 RushLuv
Msg: 37
Send Quick Message
Posted: 4/1/2010 7:03:30 AM

admin just basically handed a form letter to every man on the site that they can use with his blessing. I will delete every email that I get that has the "Hey, wanna chat" thing. This is hands down the most ridiculous new feature he's come up with thus far (but I have no doubt in my mind he will outdo himself and make another even more useless ridiculous feature).

Agreed. The whole thing is absurd, and I will also be deleting any messages that contain such.

Also, I hate the way the "Send Quick Message" feature has no emoticons. I get very irritated because I loved using emoticons in my emails, and I get fed up with having to use ":-)." The emoticons were a good way to show my expressions.
 ~breathlesshush~
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Send Quick Message
Posted: 4/1/2010 9:13:17 PM
Just noticed that the "Send Quick Reply" is now gone...

Wonder what tomorrow will bring (or take away)?

~breathlesshush~
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Send Quick Message
Posted: 4/2/2010 8:41:43 AM

Just noticed that the "Send Quick Reply" is now gone...

Scratch that, it's back.

These days I log in just to see what's new. Nope, I don't have a life.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Send Quick Message
Posted: 4/13/2010 1:36:04 AM
I agree - there really IS a "silent majority" of Fishies that can't even come up with a decent title, let alone a grammatical sentence.

P.S. - did the Forums link vanish for everyone - or only those who didn't specify an income, or those who haven't purchased an Upgrade?
ED BEAR

NO matter if you make 6 figures or just pushin a paper route - it's currently not appearing for anyone - if you have further comments on this subject find the right thread.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  >