Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > how come women initiate the breakup 80% of the time?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 301
how come women initiate the breakup 80% of the time? Page 13 of 54    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)

Choosing Between No-Fault and Fault-Based Divorce

A spouse may choose a fault-based reason for divorce even when no-fault divorce is an option because often no-fault divorce laws require the couple to be separated for a longer time period than when a fault-based reason is given for seeking a divorce. Also, in some states, a spouse who proves the other's fault may receive a greater share of the marital property, which is property to which both spouses have rights, or more alimony.

Here you can still file for grounds NO-FAULT IS A OPTION!!!
The old grounds are still there they are just not used much anymore. As it is easier and cheaper to file no-fault.
You still have the right to prove the other parties guilt if they are at fault.

NO FAULT DIVORCE

Most states are “no fault” divorce states. In the not so distant past, divorces could only be granted for specified reasons such as infidelity or abandonment. This resulted in much highly emotional litigation that pitted one spouse against another with each painting the other as the “bad guy.” Most states have eliminated fault from their statutes. In most states, for a divorce to be granted there must only be an irretrievable breakdown of the marriage

So to sum it up no fault allows you to get a divorce without having to prove fault or just because you want one.
The ability to file on grounds is still available just not used much I hope and pray this information will show everyone the truth!!!
 late™
Msg: 302
how come women initiate the breakup 80% of the time?
Posted: 4/22/2010 6:32:31 PM

I do think there are an awful lot of them that think women have ruined their lives, and aren't willing to see or understand where women are coming from...and appear to want to keep control of us...still...instead of appreciating us for who we are and how we are different...or, accepting that we have equal footing as PEOPLE now..

Change the genders in your paragraph and your post and you might see that a lot of what you're saying is coming from the same place as the, "a lot of angry men who really don't like women", ...again, switch the genders.

Just sayin'
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 303
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2010 6:40:15 PM
In their study titled "Child Custody Policies and Divorce Rates in the US," Kuhn and Guidubaldi find it reasonable to conclude that women anticipate advantages to being single, rather than remaining married.[6]

When women anticipate a clear gender bias in the courts regarding custody, they expect to be the primary residential parent for the children and recipient of the resulting financial child support, maintaining the marital residence, receiving half of all marital property, and gaining total freedom to establish new social relationships. In their detailed analysis of divorce rates, Kuhn and Guidubaldi conclude that acceptance of joint physical custody may reduce divorce. States whose family law policies, statutes, or judicial practice encourage joint custody have shown a greater decline in their divorce rates than those that favor sole custody.

I don't doubt for a second that women file for divorce far more often than men, but I do disagree with the "reasonable" conclusion. The resulting child support exists prior to divorce and most likely is more. The notion of having primary custody and "gaining total freedom" are nearly mutually exclusive for the truly responsible parent. Acceptance of joint physical custody may well reduce divorce, for those who are afraid to leave their children with their soon to be ex spouse, so the numbers may be affected to a degree. They may also be affected to a degree for the women who DO believe that there is financial gain to be had from divorce. But they are not representative of the great majority, not in the least. Those of us whose feet remain on the ground and who are not tall enough to have our heads in the clouds know better. When two decent people who really care about their kids can get beyond the selfishness evidenced by an attitude of "mine, mine, mine" there is greater fairness in custody arrangements, and cs payments.

Joint custody is a legal term, and the majority of parents do share time with their kids. They can also work past or ignore, their trivial differences to do what is best for their kids. The problems that we so often hear about come from the parties refusing to acknowledge the facts, as is evidenced by so many posts here. We see so many women & men alike who don't receive child support, yet manage to parent at least responsibly, if not effectively, despite complaining about the unfairness of it all. We see many men who, although they complain, manage to do the right thing for their kids. Thank God these forums aren't a reflection of the real world.

All that aside, why would one equate filing for divorce with the initiation of the end of a relationship? It would seem to me a "reasonable conclusion" that to do so is the final act, rather than taking the first step.

btw, I am wondering what the big deal about no fault divorce is? Is it preferable to air one's dirty laundry, so to speak? Lest we forget, it was less than 50 years ago (at least in NY, which is NOT a no fault state, btw , well at least literally) that there was no divorce on grounds of abandonment. My own mother had to wait seven years after her husband (my biological father) disappeared, then have him declared deceased in order to obtain a divorce. In that respect, at least, it can be viewed as a protective measure.
 GotAHubCapDiamondStarHalo
Msg: 304
Posted: 4/22/2010 7:16:38 PM

ability to file on grounds is still available just not used much I hope and pray this information will show everyone the truth!!!
Seriously, I'm trying to be gentle ... But, please do your best to follow: California was the FIRST state to rescind its divorce laws and comprehensively rewrite their statutes so that divorce is only granted for the "no fault" ground of "Irreconcilable differences." There is NO other option for obtaining a divorce in California.

GROUNDS FOR DIVORCE IN CALIFORNIA

California is a "no-fault" divorce state, which means that the court will not assign fault to one spouse or the other for the disintegration of the marriage. Instead, California has a single grounds for divorce: Irreconcilable differences between the parties which have led to the irremediable breakdown of the marriage. In other words, for whatever reason, dissolution of the marriage is appropriate because the parties just do not get along anymore. For purposes of obtaining a divorce, the courts are not interested in whether one of the parties has committed adultery or inflicted mental or physical abuse upon the other. These things may, however, in relevant cases, be considered in deciding other issues, such as child custody or family support.

You are correct that in New York, the parties would have to use separation as a basis for divorce to avoid assigning fault. Thanks.
 zangie
Msg: 305
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2010 7:17:32 PM

Change the genders in your paragraph and your post and you might see that a lot of what you're saying is coming from the same place as the, "a lot of angry men who really don't like women", ...again, switch the genders.

Just sayin'

I'm perfectly willing to accept responsibility for my own mistakes and misconceptions..but, in this case you are wrong..

I don't hate my ex husband, I don't blame him for ruining my life, I take full responsibility for what my flaws/errors /faults were, and until I got online, I didn't even think so many men disliked women ( and I have been divorced for 19 years, and I've only been online since late 2006)..I don't call men names, and I don't think that as a gender they are evil, I do not attack them ( actually I don't attack anyone...I also don't hate anyone personally, or as a group, in fact, I am careful to emphasize that it's my opinion and experience, and to be polite while disagreeing)...

I expressed my personal experiences ( and the feelings they evoke) with men I've met from online, and the man I was married to...I also didn't ascribe them to all men...and I made a point to not generalize my thoughts...and I'm not bitter or angry ( actually, I'm an eternal optimist...lol..ask anyone who knows me or my posts for that matter...I believe it will always get better, and it is never as bad as it seems, and I rarely get angry ( often hurt though, I'll admit that) and have never been bitter about anything)...I am dismayed, disappointed and confused,...and looking for why this has happened...and some understanding of what did...or why....and how I am to respond appropriately...

I'm at a loss....and that is what I was expressing...so, maybe it was in my delivery...
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 306
Posted: 4/22/2010 7:28:10 PM
Look in the quote you posted...Adultery and other grounds MAY be used to decide other issues, Such as child custody or family support.
Though the state will not grant fault for the divorce you are still able to file on these charges and win or lose a larger portion of the settlement.
Why do you think jury trials are still used? The state may not find fault but the filer may use the grounds to win the case when the parties don't agree!!!
Thank you for posting more prof of being able to use grounds!!!

Grounds for Divorce: California

Each state has unique grounds in which a dissolution of marriage may be granted by the court. When choosing the grounds for your dissolution of marriage, you should always remember that you must have sufficient proof to the court that your marital situation warrants a dissolution of marriage by the grounds you are requesting.

Grounds for Filing: The Petition for Dissolution of Marriage must declare the appropriate California grounds upon which the dissolution of marriage is being sought. The appropriate lawful ground will be that which the parties agree upon and can substantiate, or that which the filing spouse desires to prove to the court. The dissolution of marriage grounds are as follows:

Dissolution of the marriage or legal separation of the parties may be based on either of the following grounds, which shall be pleaded generally: (a) Irreconcilable differences.

Irreconcilable differences are those grounds which are determined by the court to be substantial reasons for not continuing the marriage and which make it appear that the marriage should be dissolved.

(b) Incurable insanity.

A marriage may be dissolved on the grounds of incurable insanity only upon proof, including competent medical or psychiatric testimony, that the insane spouse was at the time the petition was filed, and remains, incurably insane.

(California Code - Sections: 2310)

If you do not fall under any of the above mentioned grounds for divorce/dissolution, you most likely should consider trying to save your marriage. Many spouses find that they do not meet the requirements of a waiting period, which can be very frustrating, but it is these waiting periods that are in effect in order to help prevent rash decisions to terminate a marriage.

Actually these are the two headings you can use to file then you can list adultery or other grounds the will effect the case so there is more than no fault in calli!!!!!

BTW I have three friends that are attorney's I have checked with two of them they assure me you can still go to trial in Calli for adultery.....Any more questions?
 GotAHubCapDiamondStarHalo
Msg: 307
Posted: 4/22/2010 7:43:48 PM
I know what I posted. I am not trying to hide anything. There are no "grounds" for divorce in CA other than(no fault) irreconcilable differences. I did not conceal or deny the influence of such factors on "other issues" including custody and support. It does not mean they are "grounds" for divorce. I thought this would help you understand the distinction, not make it harder for you to understand. Sorry.

OMG - you do realize that Summary dissolution is different than divorce in California? Go back to your source and scroll down to divorce.

CALIFORNIA DIVORCE OPTIONS

California marriage and family relationships are governed by a set of statutes or laws identified as the California Family Code. Under California law, individuals who want to terminate a marital relationship have a number of options available to them, including legal separation, annulment, dissolution and summary dissolution

If a couple has been married for less than five years, has no children and has minimal assets, California law permits the couple to file for "summary dissolution." This is a relatively fast, simple and inexpensive alternative to the regular dissolution proceeding.

A California married couple can also seek an annulment of a marriage under certain circumstances. For example, if it is determined that a marriage is incestuous or bigamous, the marriage is considered void under California's Family Code and may be so declared upon petition of either party to the marriage. A marriage is not void, but is voidable under California law, where the petitioner was a minor at the time of the marriage, where there was fraud or coercion, or where one spouse or the other has a physical or mental condition rendering the marriage unviable.
Are your posts for real, or are you just trying to get a reaction? I can't believe you really are seriously promoting what you are posting. Did you not know about the difference between divorce, annulment, dissolution, etc. or are you just trolling?

you can still go to trial in Calli for adultery
You can still go to confession for adultery, too. You can only get divorced in CA for irreconcilable differences.
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 308
Posted: 4/22/2010 8:02:06 PM
Read the code 2310 it will show you that the court will hear adultery and other mitigating factors under irreconcilable differences. The court then rules if the factors meet the standard of I D........If the parties agree on everything the divorce does not go to trial and is granted on I D!!!!

Once again I have spoken with two attorneys on this I am sure they know more than you.
please go back and reread the quote the heading is under GROUNDS FOR DIVORCE in the California code #2310
I really can't spell it out any better it is quote from a law web site!!!

BTW Dissolution of marriage is use to describe divorce!!!!!
It would not be using correct English to say divorce of marriage!!!!
Try expanding your lexicon!!!

Legal Dictionary

Main Entry: dis·so·lu·tion
Pronunciation: "di-s&-'lü-sh&n
Function: noun
: the act or process of ending: as a : the termination of an organized body (as a court) b : the ending of a partnership relationship caused by the withdrawal of one of the partners from the relationship c : the termination of a corporation

Note please read your quote the word dissolution is used there too!!!.....ROTFLAO
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 309
Posted: 4/22/2010 8:41:37 PM

OMG - you do realize that Summary dissolution is different than divorce in California? Go back to your source and scroll down to divorce

Are your posts for real, or are you just trying to get a reaction? I can't believe you really are seriously promoting what you are posting. Did you not know about the difference between divorce, annulment, dissolution, etc. or are you just trolling?

OMG do you realize my quotes said nothing about Summary dissolution YOURS DID!!!
So the real question is are your post for real as you seem to have trouble remembering who posted what!!!

To the below post I agree but the debate here has been if adultery and other reasons are grounds for divorce in Cali......I D is the what you file under and if any of the old grounds are proven the divorce is granted under I D.
I would say in most cases adultery is irreconcilable differences!!!
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 310
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2010 8:49:11 PM
Truth is, the court will hear anything, so long as you are willing and able to pay the attorneys for the long, drawn out proceedings. There are likely an equal number of men & women who realize that the one with the most money with which to pay a lawyer will prevail, financially (actually, to choose to give their money to a third party). To proceed to trial, the end result of which will never be to force an individual to continue to engage in "specific performance" of a contract of a personal nature, in order to pay a disinterested party (the attorney) has been recognized as futile. Perhaps that is why irreconcilable differences has come into existence. Just sayin'
 Super_Eve
Msg: 311
Posted: 4/22/2010 9:09:26 PM

BTW Disillusion of marriage is use to describe divorce!!!!!
It would not be using correct English to say divorce of marriage!!!!
Try expanding your lexicon!!!

Preserved for reasons of posterity.

I think that disillusionment is a better way to address the topic on hand (just consider me a born again rule follower for the moment), rather than continue your diatribe, in which where the information you provide becomes convoluted in the midst of scrambling around trying to prove it.
 *mandrake*
Msg: 312
Posted: 4/22/2010 9:14:37 PM
Women initiate the breakup more than men because they are more afraid of being rejected than we are!

OR:

women are more in touch with feelings and emotions than men are, and more capable of dealing with hurt!
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 313
Posted: 4/22/2010 9:22:48 PM
mtnwldflower I believe the diatribe is over. Seeing as she scolded me for something she posted. She has plainly shown her lack of understanding of the law. As I said I have talked to two of my friends that are attorneys. They explained it to me and I posted what they said so you choose who is correct on this.

BTW in my quote there I misspelled dissolution sorry I am not the worlds best speller and clicked the wrong word on spell check.
Summary dissolution and dissolution are words that describe divorce talk to any attorney and they can explain.

To the below post if you look up a few post I put the legal definition of dissolution on here so everyone can read it.
 zangie
Msg: 314
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2010 9:30:21 PM

Summary dissolution and dissolution are words that describe divorce talk to any attorney and they can explain.

Sigh...ok...maybe this will help...I work with domestic attys...a dissolution is a KIND of divorce...it doesn't describe all divorces..it is a legal term...common usage is to call it a NO FAULT"...
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 315
Posted: 4/22/2010 9:37:06 PM

Legal Dictionary

Main Entry: dis·so·lu·tion
Pronunciation: "di-s&-'lü-sh&n
Function: noun
: the act or process of ending: as a : the termination of an organized body (as a court) b : the ending of a partnership relationship caused by the withdrawal of one of the partners from the relationship c : the termination of a corporation

I believe (b) is the definition used for divorce.
 mr.evil
Msg: 316
Posted: 4/23/2010 4:26:55 PM
Couple of things here, we seem to have drifted away from the theme! This whole numbers thing in my mind can be summed up in a few words "women initiate the breakup FAR more than men"!

When you say 66% or 80%, it really isn't significant whether it's 2 of 3 or 4 or 5, it means it's a lot! As my buddies and I would remark "you can't spend percentages", so the facts are what they are.

As an aside, I noted myjawn was here in ATL, how the he11 did you date here? Unless you were originally from dixie, gotta tell ya, it sucks to be a yankee here!!
 Capitano_Blaugh
Msg: 317
Posted: 4/23/2010 5:18:35 PM
Couple of things here, we seem to have drifted away from the theme! This whole numbers thing in my mind can be summed up in a few words "women initiate the breakup FAR more than men"!

I think this is an important point and probably the only one that really has any real relevance to this interesting cluster fvck.

I've been around a couple of different blocks a couple of times. Believe it or not, I've met quite a number of people from quite an interesting cross-section of humanity from a few different continents.

In discussion with the two sexes, I've met many women who have NEVER been kicked to the curb, but who have ALWAYS been the punter.

I have NEVER met a man who has NEVER been punted.

So, 2%, 80%, whatever, it really SEEMS to be that women in general, generally speaking of course, in general terms, on average with all things being equal as they say, TEND to kick men's asses to the curb in a lifetime, a LIFETIME, as I've said, MORE often than men kick women to the curb.....

.... generally speaking, of course.

Arabianangel
Msg: 318
Posted: 4/23/2010 5:29:43 PM

It really does come down to geographical differences...take for instance the Middle East...Women there rarely initiate the breakup because they don't have the same rights as the men do..

Generally speaking, I believe those that have the most to lose will NOT initiate the breakup. If I was living in a country that didn't allow me to have full custody of my children, I would remain in an unhappy marriage in order to stay with my kids.
 RobertKoi
Msg: 319
Posted: 4/23/2010 7:41:56 PM
Ever since women were given free hands it's gone downhill. They no longer respect men as they're supposed to. It's not by coincidence that women had no rights until fairly recently, they weren't even allowed to vote until the 1900's in some countries in Europe for example (probably elsewhere, too).

There was one episode of Dallas where Jock Ewing said that women belong in the bedroom, and sure as heck not in the boardroom. I tend to agree. :)
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 320
Posted: 4/23/2010 9:35:57 PM
It has been said many times.......A woman marries a man expecting him to change and we don't......Where a man marries a woman expecting her not to change and she does!!!!

There is a lot of truth in this. Trouble is in a lot of cases the woman leaves and finds the grass is not greener on the other side and wants to come back.
What most don't realize is once they have dumped their husband the trust he had in her is destroyed.
I know both of my ex's tried to come back and while I still had love for them I could never trust them. So a relationship was impossible.

Bottom line a marriage is meant to be for life if a person is not completely sure they can do that they should never marry!!!
 zangie
Msg: 321
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2010 7:31:02 AM
I still think it's a combination of how women deal with unhappiness, and how men do (barring outright infidelity/abuse, etc)...

When I ask men who are serial cheaters ( as in, this isn't just a one time or one woman occurrence, they actively seek someone on a regular basis) why they cheat...most will say it is either non existent or unsatisfactory sex, ,some may say and/or also being treated very badly emotionally...when I ask them why they don't either find out what's wrong and fix the problem, or leave...some may say (especially if they are younger and have small children) they have too much to lose to leave, ( but older men whose children are grown, don't seem to fear that)but, I have had some claim they actually love their wives ( which doesn't compute in my brain), and they wouldn't do that to her?...but, I have heard few who would even address the "fix" what's wrong part...they seem to have accepted it and found a alternative solution that works for them...they appear to be able to weather what's wrong, in order to keep what they think is good/right. They have decided ,without apparent effort, going by what they say, that it can't be fixed? I doubt most of them know why things got bad with their wives...though I'm not saying that is always or entirely their fault, but, they never seem to have even tried to figure it out..

When I got divorced I lost a lifestyle, and a much more secure retirement..and security in general, (since I don't have children I didn't have that to consider)( and one of the best friends (in a platonic sense) O ever had ...while those are all nice things, in the scheme of what matters to me...they weren't as important as feeling loved and accepted...and most important...like he was on my side...

I thought about the women try to change men ,and women change comment frequently...in my case, if I tried to change anything , it was probably more like ,I first of all, ignored warning bells before we got married about things that did upset me about how he treated me emotionally, and some part of me must have thought, if not consciously, that he would be nicer once we got married..and just plain didn't realize how mismatched we were on that point...and I never saw or understood the control factor then...I was young, with little experience in relationships..and I think I was attracted in some sense to his "leading, take charge" persona...it was comforting, and "masculine" , and a lot like my father, whom I adored...

I didn't change that I can figure out...most of his complaints about me were things he had always known ( like that I didn't want children), that I'm sentimental and cry easily, and that I liked to go out and do fun things, at least once in awhile, and that I appreciated romantic gestures...and I didn't value money, in itself, the same way he did...

In the end, I am positive it had more to do with we both had expectations of the other, that we never discussed , and assumed the other automatically knew what their role was to be...and in our case, while he believed in equality, as far as me working, he really didn't believe in it in any other aspect...and I totally admit I should have seen some of this coming..naivety? Love? Hope?

I gave him numerous opportunities to work with me, and fix it for both of us, including the counseling..he just wasn't interested or willing..he truly believed that how he saw the world ( and me and marriage) was the only acceptable/valid way..and there was no reason for him to adjust or take my feelings into consideration..because I was wrong...but, he was willing to put up with what he didn't like , to keep what he did...I wasn't...because the bottom line was, what I was unhappy about, was the most important thing in my mind...

While my idealistic side believes in marriage till death do us part..pragmatically, I don't think it's always possible, and I know that you can't predict ahead of time how things will go...My intent was to be married forever, and I would have been if I hadn't been so terribly unhappy...I never thought God meant ..stay married even if it's miserable, either...

I think if women, generally, initiate it more, it might be because they aren't willing to be emotionally unhappy to keep any tangible advantages..while men will keep the tangibles, and deal however they can with the emotional ones..

And capitano...while I'm too polite/nice to really "kick anyone to the curb" , I generally make one last plea for working it out, and it hurts me too...I will say that the only men who have ever broken up with me, it has always been because they have found another woman they like better, or who seems to fit their needs better...and I don't mean this in a bragging or conceited way at all...but, from the point of view of men I have broken up with, if I am to believe them, whatever they didn't like, never outweighed what they did...
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 322
Posted: 4/24/2010 8:49:00 AM

I think if women, generally, initiate it more, it might be because they aren't willing to be emotionally unhappy to keep any tangible advantages..while men will keep the tangibles, and deal however they can with the emotional ones..

I totally agree with this Zangie - especially in this day and age, where both people work and gender has nothing to do with what you gain/lose by leaving.

I know women who would have easily lived in a cardboard box to be out of the situation they were in if they had to, and I know a lot of men who were miserable on a daily basis but didn't want to upset the household/kids/lifestyle they lived.
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 323
Posted: 4/24/2010 9:08:46 AM

I totally agree with this Zangie - especially in this day and age, where both people work and gender has nothing to do with what you gain/lose by leaving.

Alright then explain the fact that in the states where joint custody has recently become law the percentage of women filing first has declined dramatically?

The fact is it is a lot easier for a woman to leave and find another man to start over with.
In the cases I have seen the woman has a new partner in the wings most of the time.
More that once I have saw a woman leave her husband and move in with her lover the same day!!!
That gets us back to the BBD and fairy tale causes I have spoke about before. When women are not happy they leave they don't try to work it out with a man they vowed to be with till death do them part.
The man seems to stay in there till the end.......Accepting the woman and hoping for the best. I will also say men have a incentive to stay for monetary reasons. The phrase "It is cheaper to keep her" has founding!!!
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 324
Posted: 4/24/2010 9:09:37 AM
Q: How come women initiate the breakup 80% of the time?

A: Because they can.

Geeze-looeeze, why do you people gotta complicate what's a very simple matter?

Jack
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 325
Posted: 4/24/2010 9:47:45 AM
The Tarzan theory!!!.......I LIKE THAT NAME!!!
This is sooooooo true. 007 you have just lit the fuse of soooooo many females on here hope you are wearing asbestos underwear!!!!!!!

To Jack when have you ever seen a woman give a simple answer?!?!?!?
They do not like the fact that men are talking about the fact that they are filing 80% of the time.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > how come women initiate the breakup 80% of the time?