Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Stuffing Your Turkey      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SAguy_06
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Stuffing Your TurkeyPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
In my family, my G-mom's/Mom's cornbread stuffing/dressing was the star of the day.

Since were are a big family and hosted, large birds were the norm...so Mom would stuff the bird and put dresing around the bird in any open space in the roasting pan. The dressing out of the bird crisped- up while the one in the bird was like a savory-sweet corn pudding...both excelent.
 texasbaby
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Stuffing Your Turkey
Posted: 11/2/2009 2:53:17 PM
I don't stuff my turkey, not because of health issues, I just like the dressing dryer and with a crunchy brown crust.
Last year I cooked it all in muffin tins, as the poster above mentioned and loved the idea. Left overs went into a big zip loc bag.
They were nice for the food my kids always carry home with them after dinner too, just sent them with stuffin muffins in sandwich bags.

tb
 raxarsr
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Stuffing Your Turkey
Posted: 11/2/2009 3:16:16 PM
i cant imagine having roast turkey without the stuffing inside the bird......it would be criminal.........moms stuffing is this:

toast 2 loaves of white bread
1/2 stick of melted butter
4 eggs
dice a cup of celery and a cup of onions
2 teaspoons of pepper
3 or 4 teaspoons of salt
2 teaspoons of poultry seasoning [with sage]

moisten with milk or chicken broth

mix well by hand and stuff the bird

this is the best stuffing i've ever had...proubly because its moms....but only amish potato filling comes close
 Gue$$who
Msg: 6
Stuffing Your Turkey
Posted: 11/22/2009 6:06:12 PM
Never heard of turkey without dressing in it, sounds like a bit of a waste of flavor. Put dressing in just prior to roasting and never leave dressing in the bird to be held for left overs, don't know why but was the golden rule of my parents.
 Rythmn
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Stuffing Your Turkey
Posted: 11/22/2009 10:08:43 PM
in the past, when i cooked a turkey i both stuffed it and made extra. however, the man cooking the turkey for our thanksgiving potluck recently informed me that he follows someone on tv, who says NOT to stuff the turkey. instead, like above, he puts stuff inside the cavity, but just not the stuffing. i say whoever cooks the turkey can decide what s/he he wants to do. meanwhile, the stuffing is one of my responsibilities and haven't yet figured out what i am going to do!
 SAguy_06
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Stuffing Your Turkey
Posted: 11/23/2009 1:42:53 AM
Deep fried stuffing...

Thats next years winner at the State Fair of Texas...

...or is that a Hush Puppy?
 forum_froggie
Msg: 9
Stuffing Your Turkey
Posted: 11/30/2009 6:22:21 PM
Our family always has dressing stuffed in to the turkey. I'm not a big fan of "stuffing", has too many weird things in it for my taste (walnuts, oranges, celery, sausage, etc).

As for a recipe? A little of this and a little of that: cubed cooked potatoes, fresh ground pepper, summer savory (a herb popular in Atlantic Canada), salt, a chopped onion and cubed white bread left out overnight to "toughen" up.

Mix it well, shove it inside the turkey and cook as per usual. Remove the dressing from turkey once it comes out of the oven.

Yum yum yummy.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Stuffing Your Turkey
Posted: 11/21/2017 8:49:01 PM
I'm sort of winging it this year ... the man I've prepared Thanksgiving dinner with and for since the 1970s is no longer with us ... we've had a plumbing disaster and don't have a fully-functional kitchen right now ... my daughter-in-law is making a crockpot turkey breast and Stove Top Stuffing for her family ... so ... what to do for just me? I've made a batch of cornbread that I seasoned with poultry-type seasonings ... I've cut it into crouton sized squares and it's currently toasting in the oven ... I think I'll mix it with pecans, sausage, chopped onions and celery Thursday ... add butter and chicken broth ... guess I'll put it at the bottom of a smallish roaster and put my pathetic little turkey thigh over it ... season and maybe add more butter ... sorry to be such a downer ...
 Profile_Cliche_Gurl
Msg: 11
Stuffing Your Turkey
Posted: 11/21/2017 11:29:21 PM
Aw, Molly, sorry to hear. I love reading through the recipes here and enjoy your contributions. If I remember correctly, you have some dietary restrictions and your "substitution" recipes are always insightful. And wasn't there some sort of "crack" recipe, popular in the Christmas Basket thread? That stuff was indeed addictive!

Despite everything, please enjoy your Thanksgiving! This Canadian will be thinking of you.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Stuffing Your Turkey
Posted: 11/22/2017 2:47:07 AM
It's called stuffing when it's inside. It's called dressing when it's outside. Nope, no one is getting ill unless the stuffing sits too long in the turkey before cooking it. It tastes better when it's cooked inside with the flavors from the bird. I make chestnut stuffing, and add small diced sweet potato to it. Gravy tastes great over it.
 Profile_Cliche_Gurl
Msg: 13
Stuffing Your Turkey
Posted: 11/22/2017 3:12:58 AM
I beg to disagree. A lot of Maritimers stuff their turkey with dressing.

Tomato, tomahto.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Stuffing Your Turkey
Posted: 11/23/2017 3:23:10 PM
awww ... thanks, Profile Gurl ... made my gluten-free stuffing w/the turkey thigh ... turned out purrrfect, really quite good ... my green beans w/bacon and mushrooms were wonderful, too ... thankful that my spirits have been fine ...

P.S. ... I DO remember the highly addictive candy we were all making w/crackers, caramel, almonds and chocolate ... wonder where that recipe is!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Stuffing Your Turkey