Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MondoVman
Msg: 62
view profile
History
What's the upside to being over 50 and singlePage 2 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
One upside of being 50+ is continuing to be "true to myself" (To thine own self be true).

I am working on ignoring and forgiving those (and I mean NO ONE in particular) who insist on writing they are plum sick & tired of or worried about others' choices and behaviors such as doing nothing, working hard, gushing about what they like, and a million other choices/decisions/acts of free will.

It's so easy for ANY ONE to should others on a forum, to write it's better that yous, to write yous don't belong/shouldn't be here ... so there! Actually, it's juvenile.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 63
What's the upside to being over 50 and single
Posted: 11/2/2009 3:01:50 PM
Me? I have a basket full of dried sow's ears, and I'm looking for the nearest silk-purse making class. . . .

damassteel
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2009 3:21:10 PM
I LOVE being single. As in not married. I've got a GF, but NO living together, with the possible exception of truly dire circumtances.
Without being redunant, freedom is the BEST thing about it. After my wife's passing it was lonely at first, but I quickly got my @$$ back into the swing of things. I won't make any lists as I can't add a thing that hasn't been mentioned..but FREEDOM...It's a beautiful thing!
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 65
Posted: 11/2/2009 3:25:58 PM
FREEDOM'S just another word for nothing left to lose. . . . Bobby McGee's mate said, lol!

moraima
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2009 5:04:35 PM
"I suspect most people who are so happy with their freedom would give it up pretty quickly if the 'right' person came along."

Provided he lives at his place, and doesn't want to live at mine, and doesn't give me a hard time when I leave for 6 months a year in Cuba. Otherwise, see you.

Better be prepared to not sleep in the same room when we have sleep overs etc. etc.

Sapphireeyes
Msg: 67
Posted: 11/2/2009 5:06:49 PM
The best thing about being over 50 and single...I have the chance to met that special someone and the knowledge of all my prior mistakes and lifes experiences to make sure that the life we will have together will be a good long happy one!
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 68
Posted: 11/2/2009 5:07:55 PM
^^^Thank you mae. What a true lady, such class.

...You're welcome.

FREEDOM'S just another word for nothing left to lose.

I suspect most people who are so happy with their freedom would give it up pretty quickly if the 'right' person came along.

And I suspect you would be right....to a certain degree. I'm pretty firm in not wanting to get married again but I woul not hesitate to enter into an exclusive, monogamous relationship with the right fella.

...maeflowers
 cotter
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2009 5:10:50 PM
I don't have to share my bathroom with anyone? Okay, that's not entirely true at the moment, because I'm living in transition at the time at my sister and brother-in-law. I share a bathroom with an 18 month old toddler (their little grandson) from time to time ... OMG he's sooooo cute ... I just love babies .. :love:

Let's see ...
Being over 50 and single and not feeling like it ... is an upside.

Being over 50 and single with no one to go home to at night ... is a downside.

Being over 50 and single and ... Oh what the Hell ... at the moment, the only upside I can find right now is "not feeling like it". Other than that ... (although I know there any number of perfectly good reasons for feeling good about being single and over 50) I really don't know that I'd rather be single but for sure I wouldn't want to be with someone just because I don't prefer to be single.

I'm not "settling" just so I have someone to go home to at night!!!

No, no, no!!!

I'm pretty firm in not wanting to get married again but I would not hesitate to enter into an exclusive, monogamous relationship with the right fella.
Ya ... what she said!!!
 blueyesrsmiling
Msg: 70
Posted: 11/2/2009 5:19:32 PM
Well today the great part of being single....is a bubble bath a long hot bubble bath with no one screaming I am using all the hot water.
My house is messy from painting...no one telling me to clean up my mess...
Went all day without make up...in my ripped up ratty sweats...
I didn't make my bed.....
I put my scented candles in every room and lit them....so it smells so good....
I have tons of smell good soap and shampoo and girly girl stuff in my bathrooms setting within reach...
I can use any razor I want....no one gripes about it being dull
I can have any friend over that I want without any telling me they don't like them
I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for dinner...no one griping because I didn't cook...
I painted my living room walls....patina....and it looks wonderful...instead of a yucky ole white color...
I stood on the furniture....and jumped on the cushions.
I took a nap....
That's just today.
If I am going to be single I am going to be happy. That way whenever I find Mr. wonderful...they will like me even better because I am already happy. It has taken me time to adjust to being single. But I decided that I had to learn to be happy whether I am single or in a committed relationship....I hope to find someone it would be wonderful. But until then I enjoy where I am at .....at this exact moment in life....and everytime I get to feeling scared or sorry I make a gratitude list. Things I am truly thankful for and it works for me.....
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 71
Posted: 11/2/2009 5:19:47 PM

So if you met the "right" one and you had been together for a couple years and he asked you to honor him by marrying him, you'd tell him no? Then if he said I really want this and he's made you very happy, you'd still say no? Would you break it off even or would it have to be the way you want it,,,

Just asking,,,

...Oh stop trying to complicate this you brat. I will be the first to let you know how it turns out should I meet the right fella and should he ask me to marry him...so stay tuned.

....maeflowers
 blueyesrsmiling
Msg: 74
Posted: 11/2/2009 6:32:15 PM
I actually have a very good sense of humor. Would you care to point out the humor in what she said? Perhaps then I can join in on the laugh.

Since a few of us have been posting for awhile we get use to each other's writing techniques....she was using her dry sense of humor. She wasn't attacking.
Not everyone is going to agree with us...nor are we going to like what everyone writes all the time.....but take what you like and leave the rest....
The more that you write you will see everyone has different techniques and you actually look forward to what they write....She is one of my favorites along with quite a few others...but if you don't like what she has written then gloss over it and move on. Find your favorites and read them....Everyone of us is different but writing on here is a great way to relax.....unless you personalize everything that is written....Peace
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 76
Posted: 11/2/2009 6:37:59 PM

Excuse me but her "sense of humor" was not dry it was mean spirited. I am quite old enough to know the difference thank you. And IF you find people don't "get" your sense of humor perhaps you should rethink it or at the very least learn to judge who you can use it on and who it will offend.

Here is Websters deffinition of sarcasm:
1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain
2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm

Please notice in the deffinition that is says it is meant to cause pain and is directed against someone. There was nothing witty or ironic about what she said.

I actually have a very good sense of humor. Would you care to point out the humor in what she said? Perhaps then I can join in on the laugh.

...I have no intention of getting into anything with you I have merely stated an opinion with regards to ismene's comments. If you have followed my posts on these forums you will find that in the three years I've been here I don't think I've ever been mean or sarcastic to anyone.
If I somehow offended you raredawn you have my apologies.

...maeflowers
 Free-At-Last
Msg: 77
Posted: 11/3/2009 1:18:38 AM
^^^now now ladies^^^nobody's mean spirited around here except for ME

Okay...back to the thread....

If I am going to be single I am going to be happy. That way whenever I find Mr. wonderful...they will like me even better because I am already happy. It has taken me time to adjust to being single. But I decided that I had to learn to be happy whether I am single or in a committed relationship....I hope to find someone it would be wonderful. But until then I enjoy where I am at .....at this exact moment in life....
yahoo blueeyessmiling

FREEDOM'S just another word for nothing left to lose.

And nothing ain't worth nothing honey if it ain't free

I suspect most people who are so happy with their freedom would give it up pretty quickly if the 'right' person came along.

okayyyyyyyy twist my arm
 blueyesrsmiling
Msg: 79
Posted: 11/3/2009 6:14:42 AM
Your allowed to hang onto your anger if you want. That is up to you.

Now on to the subject.
This morning I got up at 4am....walked. Set outside with a cup of coffee with a jacket and shorts on.....kind of chilly and waited for the sun to come up. I love the early morning to reflect and to become spiritually aware of life and everything around me. I also pray and meditate this time in the morning. It helps me find my center and put the focus on myself. This morning I do what I call the bitter prayer. Whenever I am frustrated or angry with someone I pray for them everything great in life. This morning I prayed for several people......I ain't no saint but I hate feeling angry and carrying this crap with me. It makes me mean. So I am learning this before if ever another comes along in my life to share it with. I love my mornings ..... my favorite time of the day. This is my time I don't have to share with anyone its the most beautiful time of the day for me. So right now at this moment I can say I am very happy to be single......peace
 rearguard*2
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2009 6:48:50 AM

If you have followed my posts on these forums you will find that in the three years I've been here I don't think I've ever been mean or sarcastic to anyone.

A cruel heart breaker....but never mean or sarcastic.....
 damassteel
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2009 7:22:10 AM
I'm starting to get the impression that many here think the single life is just fine by them. As well, the main thing that seems to be most appealing is not needing to compromise on anything. Things can be just the way you want them to be, for as long as one chooses. I include my self on this point.
Is this the dream of autonomy we dreamed of? It is for me. I can remember times during married life thinking"I don't want to compromise; I just want some things the way I want them...period". Well here it is and I like it just fine. No children to raise and look after, Mom is healthy and independent, got work and hobbies I love, nice GF, great friends AND I'm healthy and vital. This feels like to me to be the CENTER SLICE of life; no better time IMHO.
 moraima
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2009 7:49:02 AM
"you can sit around and make up excuses of why its so great to be alone....then, when you go to bed at night, wake up in the morning, have nobody to share that great news you got today, do things alone, be alone, you remember why it sucks to be alone. "

Some of us want/need someone living with them. Some of us don't want/need someone living with us. Both lifestyles are right for those who choose to live that way.

Living alone for me is just plain peaceful. If I want company I can go out and have company, or have people come back to my home. However, I get to say goodbye at the end of the night, which is the way I like it.
 moraima
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2009 8:28:43 AM
Different strokes for sure.

Never again will I miss the comfort of being alone in my feather bed, being tossed around every time the other person tosses and turns. Never again will I have snoring keeping me awake most of if not all the night.
 Sassykes
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2009 6:35:07 PM
I just look to the positive things:

Having the entire bed to myself
No snoring to keep you awake - unless of course it is the dog.
Coming home from a wild shopping trip and not having to hide your goodies in the car.
Peanut butter sandwiches for dinner - no cooking
Watching whatever you want on the TV - no cartoons, football, Sergeant Gunny, etc.
No excess gas to smell
And the best - silence when you want it!!!!
 blueyesrsmiling
Msg: 86
Posted: 11/3/2009 7:14:44 PM
Well tonight again I have on my cut off sweats that are pretty raggedy and have holes in them....and I am wearing them to bed...so not having to try to look like someone seductive.....is a relief.......of course whenever I go to the promiscuous forums and write I will have on my nicest negligee....and be seducing men right and left with my female fatlleee....but really I am sitting here raggedy sweats and baggy T Shirt ready to go to bed......
 searching56
Msg: 89
Posted: 11/3/2009 8:49:50 PM
raredawn,
You get to be You!
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 91
Posted: 11/3/2009 8:58:44 PM

You haven't offended me at all and I hope I haven't offended you. I'm just not real good at taking carp off anyone. Not that I particularly felt you were trying to give me any.

...Naw, you haven't offended me. But thanks for asking. Glad we were able to put this behind us.... hugs.

Upside to being single....all that guilt-free flirting

...maeflowers
 kpooks
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2009 9:29:05 PM
If you WANT to be single, that's the upside!

Freedom. That's an upside. The space to be weird or be whatever you want to be without fear of censorship or chastising.

You can hang out with friends and not be alone, yknow...

As far as horniness, well, there's mechanical means or your own hand for that.
 MondoVman
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2009 10:08:01 PM

It's more for casual dating. ... what men learn from their mistakes is how they will do it better next time

Aha moment! So I've been casual dating, and getting better at it. WhooHoo!

what women do is call their mistake their ex and swear never again.

Agree. Never call your ex Again or again, neither one.

So you have men looking for a partner (for CASUAL DATING) and women happy as can be using each encounter to rejoice about being free.

Uh, what's an encounter again?
 SueCat51
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2009 2:42:57 PM
Is there a downside to being over 50 and single No regrets, I have been flying solo since 1987. Love having control of the remote; if I want to sleep in until noon on weekends, so be it; don't have to cook if I don't feel it; not responsible for someone else's social calendar; vacation any place I want; don't have to justify my actions, reasons or words to anyone else.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >