Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 redheadlady4
Msg: 134
view profile
History
What's the upside to being over 50 and singlePage 4 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
I think the bottom line here is...u have to like yourself and not mind spending time with yourself. I have a friend who cannot stand to be without a man...I dont understand that. I have been single now 8 yrs and am in no hurry to jump back into a marriage, so I fill my life with what makes me happy and If I find "HIM" along the way..awesome, but I wont be crying myself to sleep at nite. Ihave raised 7 kids and I am lovin this single thing...so..like yourself, and do things you enjoy doing and be patient...
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 136
What's the upside to being over 50 and single
Posted: 11/22/2009 2:35:14 PM

You can do anything that you want to without having to get an "OK" from your significant other.

...Exactly. It's 3:30 pm...I'm still in my jammies and watching the Stamps/Roughrider game on tv. The wings are in the oven. whoo. hoo.

Gotta go...Stamps leading 10 to zip

...maeflowers
 92rockin
Msg: 137
Posted: 11/22/2009 5:37:44 PM
no interruptions on hair band night,SATURDAY,6p -midnight,rock RULES.
 Brownlady1953
Msg: 139
Posted: 11/23/2009 8:55:18 AM
I've been divorced for 15 years, and haven't had a serious relationship in seven years, or even seriously dated anyone. And the sad thing is, the longer I "don't date", the less inclined I am "to date..."

So, I guess the "upside of being over 50 and single" for me is that I am not nearly as bothered by my "alone" status as I would have been ten years ago, nor do I let people's speculations (she's GAY!), as to why I am alone bother me, either.
 hyoid
Msg: 140
Posted: 11/23/2009 11:56:50 AM
The upside of being over 50 and single is the bad things about being over 50 and single don't seem quite as bad.
 caspermack
Msg: 142
Posted: 11/23/2009 11:16:06 PM
Well, this goes back to 5, 5.5 years ago, and forward.

I mentioned a lot of things to my family, that were originally quotes from "age 50 and over" women. I was suddenly back on the dating scene, after decades, and there was so much wisdom out there.

Everyone knew about aging parents, kids that weren't kids anymore. It was amazing how many ailments or serious medical problems these women were encountering, collectively! Who knew?

They'd "been around the block". The idea of wanting 'superman" or merely Brad Pitt, was now confirmed, as quite naive, in most cases - Thank God!

Its also an advantage when the kids are basically on they're own, and out of the house; much more freedom this way.
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 143
Posted: 11/24/2009 3:23:36 AM
The upside to being 50 and single?

Not having to attend his dysfunctional family holiday gatherings, not having to hear him whine that he's hungry because he's incapable of boiling water or slapping a sandwich together without doing major damage to the kitchen, not having an octopus groping me all night long, and being able to watch what I want on TV instead of some horrible Steven Segal movie or worse yet - gulp - sports. UGH.

So why, WHY am I about to do this all over again with my current guy?

If anyone here knows how to fake their own death successfully, can you please message me with the details?
 Pfilly08
Msg: 145
Posted: 11/24/2009 7:45:42 PM
For anyone who has had a long term love affair that is no longer, the answer is "absolutely nothing."

Well. Then again. . .
There's nobody around to notice that your waist seems to be disappearing. Along with your hearing. Your 20-20 vision. Your ability to run 50 miles per week. The fact that you fall dead asleep anytime you sit on a chair after nine PM. . .
 MondoVman
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2009 11:32:25 PM
POF has truly helped me achieve one of my life long dreams - to think and act like an over 50 fish.

I've learned to troll for compliments, chum for attention, and spray the seeds of my thoughts for the good of all femininity on the fora.

And so it is I must add that Lady Diane is the finest looking spotted bass on all of POF.
(enthusiastic plug of her yellow and white outfit pic on her profile). woo. hoo.
 blueyesrsmiling
Msg: 147
Posted: 11/27/2009 1:50:20 AM
This morning is Black Friday.......and I am spending a whole bunch of money without discussing it with anyone....yeah me.
 LiberalOkie
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2009 9:22:12 PM
The same as any age - life is what you make of it.
 hardworker12
Msg: 150
Posted: 11/27/2009 10:23:59 PM
There IS no upside. If you don't like being lonely, then you're out here, looking for companionship. And if you expect to find something here, then you have to lower your standards, plain and simple. I can't believe how many women I have met on here, in person, who claim to be "average" or "a few extra pounds", and were borderline obese... or didn't look anything like their picture.

Upside? Don't make me laugh.
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 152
Posted: 11/28/2009 2:42:08 AM

I can't believe how many women I have met on here, in person, who claim to be "average" or "a few extra pounds", and were borderline obese... or didn't look anything like their picture.Upside? Don't make me laugh.

Well you don't exactly look like a small fry yourself.. However take heart because this is the upside of being over 50 and single.. Imagine yourself with one of the ones that you met and presto your all cured.

thecatsmeoww
 blueyesrsmiling
Msg: 153
Posted: 11/28/2009 3:04:04 AM

'if you expect to find something here, then you have to lower your standards, plain and simple. I can't believe how many women I have met on here, in person, who claim to be "average" or "a few extra pounds", and were borderline obese... or didn't look anything like their picture

Always has to be a gender thing? Men and Women both have problems meeting people.
But this is suppose to be the upside.......drinking my coffee getting ready to go run/walk this morning. I am free to come and go as I please.
 deepheartwaiting
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2009 8:27:31 AM
Hey -sorry to do this as a reply, but nowhere on my screen to I see a button for new post or new entry on this thread....

Over 50 - with and without grown children are two very different lives. My sis always trys to tell me she is alone even with husband, 4 grown kids and 6 grandkids. Not so.
Although I sometimes like my solitude, being able to watch what I want, etc, the weekends get VERY long. Have finally found a little church and am building some relationships there. Sorry - to the one that said -"nothing that a few batteries can't solve" - a handheld device does not replace companionship, along hug and kiss that drains the stress away, etc. I also am much more disciplined and together when there is someone in my life. Its been 3 years now since my last serious relationship, 11 years since I was widowed from my very best friend, soul mate, confidant, etc. The 4 walls are getting old. And we live in a society and I live in a town where it is not easy to meet people. I work in a profession full of women (elementary teaching).

Anyway - I have been single and married about equal lengths of time - Married/committed 17 years, single - the rest. Both have their benefits - but I know I am made for a partner.
 blueyesrsmiling
Msg: 155
Posted: 11/28/2009 8:41:09 AM

And we live in a society and I live in a town where it is not easy to meet people.

This is true. Even through I have friends most have been in long term relationships. meetup.com to find people who enjoy the same things you like. Another thing I have been to several friends children's foot ball games.......I have had men stop me and ask me out...sounds weird but it was fun going to those games.......find creative ways of meeting new people.......besides it gives the walls a chance to rest and you something else to look at.....great luck
 deepheartwaiting
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2009 8:58:29 AM
Some good ideas! I have tried meet-up and will continue to check it out. Trying to find a good ballroom dance studio...not for meeting necessarily, but for the activity and safe social environment. Was doing it regularly for a bout two years and just love the movement and the music! Went to one studio last night that looked good online but for several reasons was a big disappoinment. The quest continues!
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 157
Posted: 11/28/2009 9:06:36 AM

And we live in a society and I live in a town where it is not easy to meet people

... You don't have to stay at home...I have joined several groups through meetup.com and have found this a great way to interact with people.... do something new and interesting...like Latin Dance. I've always wanted to take it up and I finally got tired of waiting on someone to go with me. And now I'm so glad I did. There were plenty of singles and couples too taking lessons. It was a lot of fun.

I've also joined a book club and a singles group. And there's so much more. I just don't want to take on too much right now. I still have a teen daughter at home.

But yeah, get out there and enjoy yourself....or paint those walls.

...maeflowers
 hardworker12
Msg: 158
Posted: 11/28/2009 10:59:06 PM

Well you don't exactly look like a small fry yourself..

I'm not a small fry. I work out. Those are muscles you are looking at. At least I'm not an obese individual trying to pass myself off as average. In fact, I'm only about 5 pounds overweight, and that's in my gut. I'll probably never be able to lose that, but I'm okay with that.

Imagine yourself with one of the ones that you met and presto your all cured.

? Sorry, I didn't understand that at all. My WHAT would be all cured?

Always has to be a gender thing? Men and Women both have problems meeting people.

I never claimed that it was a gender thing. But I can speak only for myself, not for the ladies out here. I IMAGINE they have the same issues, but not as much.

I am free to come and go as I please.

That is probably the 4th time I have seen that, and I still don't understand that. Even when I was married, I was ALWAYS free to come and go as I pleased. Nobody ever chained me to a radiator.

Ms DeepHeartWaiting... WELL SAID!
 MondoVman
Msg: 159
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2009 1:24:42 AM
HW, your "fear of flab" is what she meant would be all cured. (She asked you to imagine being with (i.e. married) to an over-nourished woman then ... poof! you stop imagining and voila, you're "cured".) Perhaps she c/should have quoted the word "cured".

My eyesight is slowly worsening which detracts me from the distraction to details.

Also, told the gym staff this weekend, "No thanks, I'm beginning to experience a mild degree of daily dementia, so keeping track of your newest get-fit, motivational, $1 funny money per gym visit would be a pain in my azz."
 blueyesrsmiling
Msg: 160
Posted: 11/29/2009 7:45:10 AM
Today the upside is that I have a cold. No one can see how pathetic I look and behave. The ringed red eyes. The runny nose and how grouchy I am this morning.
The other thing I went to a reunion last night and flirted and laughed until my sides hurt....if I had been with someone I would have had to remain reserved.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 161
Posted: 11/29/2009 3:31:01 PM

Being single and 51...and having spent quite a few years in relationships and also quite a few years single....I guess I have a pretty good idea about both sides of the fence.

We can sit here till the cows come home talking about the merits of being over 50 and single. The truth is, for most people...not all...but most, there are no real merits. No, we have found ways to fill in the voids are lives have and we have focused on some positives because it is better than the negatives. But for most people, being single is not the life they REALLY want. Yes we can make a life for ourselves if we are alone...we can even enjoy it and be happy. But for most of us, being single will never replace being a couple with someone that really "knocks us off our feet". Using myself for instance, I like the following.......

...You are right. Being single is not the life I "really want" ...But like you, and others.. I have made the best of it. I just posted something on another site on this very subject, it goes like this:

I too am searching for that ever elusive relationship. Sometimes it gets frustrating and I want to throw in the towel and say to hell with it. Other times I get to feeling lonely and unloved...and I think about all the things I used to take for granted, the little intimacies that only couples seem to share, I miss that."

But for the time being I will continue as I have enjoying the many "upsides" of singleness.

...maeflowers
 hardworker12
Msg: 163
Posted: 11/29/2009 7:08:00 PM

if I had been with someone I would have had to remain reserved.

Nonsense. Not if you were with ME. I want someone to be herself... because I know that *I* will.
 revskoo
Msg: 164
Posted: 11/30/2009 3:08:38 PM
It's not gonna be a real long time till you can't remember whether you are single or not.....
 MondoVman
Msg: 166
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2009 11:47:30 PM
There only three guys on POF that live in Arizona that date.
Forget the other two.
Drive to my neck of the woods and introduce yourself.
Remember to bring something to eat.
Just cuz I'm available, doesn't mean I'm easy.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >