Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FL CO
Msg: 10
view profile
History
One week from yesterday, the DC Sniper is to be executed.Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)

In summary, the death penalty issue might gain support if folks could be assured that the "process" getting to condemning an individual to death was an effective/efficient process. As it stands, there seems to be some debate as to whether or not that is the case.

How has it not been effective? I haven't heard about anyone coming back to life after being put to death. As far as being more effiecient thats ways to do that, but they'd be frowned upon
 Elmenreich
Msg: 12
view profile
History
One week from yesterday, the DC Sniper is to be executed.
Posted: 11/4/2009 5:02:54 PM
Killing him is a waste of taxpayer money.
 wisguyingb
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/4/2009 5:57:01 PM
In regards to post #13

Killing him is a waste of taxpayer money.

Feeding him and housing him is more of a waste of taxpayer money.
 Elmenreich
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2009 9:27:12 PM

Feeding and housing him is a waste of taxpayer money.
Yeah, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than killing him.
 FL CO
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2009 7:24:42 AM
I want to address the arguement about mentally ill people may be put to death. Someone who is truly mentally ill (Not Guilty by reason of Insanity) wouldnt be. Those who are NGI are housed in forensic mental health facilities (at least in FL, which has and uses capital punishment). Even though being found not guilty they can be held there indefinately due to them being a danger to themself or others if released. Some may be released to a civil facilty, fewer still may be released to their families. The facility I work at has someone who's been there almost as long as the place has been open, over 30 years. He killed his whole family one day, and is going to spend the rest of his life locked up even though he was found not guilty. The reason being is that he can't go anywhere else. They've tried taking him to a civil facility before, but it didn't work out. The point being is that if someone is truly mentally ill that they aren't going to be put to death. They may spend the rest of their life put away somewhere, but they aren't going to receive capital punishment
 FL CO
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2009 7:42:41 AM

Well, OK, let me try to show you what I mean by "effective" in terms of the PROCESS of being subjected to the death penalty.

The essential question before the courts is "Is the person guilty of committing this crime that is deemed to be punishable by being put to death?

If the person is, indeed, guilty, and the person is put to death, then the process is effective.

If the persons turns out to be NOT guilty and he gets put to death, then the process is NOT effective, is it? As I stated in the post that you got my quote from, there HAVE been cases where innocent people were put to death, because of the INEFFECTIVENESS of the PROCESS.

To the question of efficiency -- yes there's more efficient ways of killing, like a firing squad, but yeah, that would probably be frowned upon. OK, so we give them a lethal injection. It turns out that, in some cases, the person goes through more pain and suffering than if they WOULD HAVE been put in front of a firing squad. In my previous post, I explained how this could happen. Now, how is that efficiency in PROCESS???

As to your example about people coming back to life after being put to death -- well, I don't know how you arrived at your conclusion or question. I was talking about the PROCESS that an alleged perpetrator has to go through before being punished by imposing the death penalty. I don't know how you went from that to discussing dead people coming to life

I'm talking about following through on the death penalty itself. Not the process. As others have mentioned, todays forensic science is pretty good, and errors would be extremely rare. The way most states seem to use it, and IIRC its written into my states constitution there can't be any doubt. Receiving life in prison is a process as well. If someone is innocent how can you repay them if they've been locked up for decades when they didn't do anything? Same could be said about any crime. Do you think the person that ended up getting a misdemeanor charge and spending a few months in jail when they are innocent is not going to suffer for it?
As far as the person suffering, I really don't care. If they've committed a crime bad enough to be put to death then they should suffer. It would serve as a better deterrent. Heck, bring back public hangings.
No system is going to be perfect. We have guilty people set free because of the system, we have innocent people get sent to jail because of it. Overall though, the number of innocent people sent to jail/prison is small when compared to the number of people actually in jail/prison.
 FL CO
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2009 11:48:08 AM

Would you serve 10-15 years if there was a 10 million dollar pay-off at the end? Think if the lifestyle you could have! Full retirement by 30-35 years of age! Wow!

The death sentence is the cheapest form of punishment there is. The ONLY thing that keeps the price of it up is the appeals process. The more money poured into it, the longer the appeals process.
Perhaps, when a death sentence is handed down, ALL appeals would be "free of charge". This way the lawyers and judges who make their bread and butter off of it would speed the process up. Lawyers could be assigned each case, to work "pro-bono". In this manner all the appeals could well be moved forwards.
Would it mean that they wouldn't work as hard at it? I don't see why. Perhaps a small stipend for those who "win" their cases. Or a "scorecard" system, whereby those who do win get a "boost" in income on the kinds of cases they take on, or a better shot at a judges position. Or any other political seat!

Nope. I wouldn't give up 10-15 years of my life for that. Maybe I'm just biased because I work in the criminal justice system. As far as lawyers working pro-bono. I can't say that I agree with that. While most appeals are complete BS, if someone is truly innocent then the lawyers should work hard at proving it. Now if they did as you suggested and got something for winning then it could possibly work. I personally think there should be a limit on the appeals process, and if there's a ton of proof and crediable witnesses, then there shouldt be very little if, any delay in serving the sentence. A year tops.
 hard starboard
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2009 7:11:34 PM

We just need to teach our police to shoot to kill, if they're going to shoot at all...not just shoot to stop.

Where I live, they usually empty a magazine when they shoot someone. I think they do yell 'Stop, Police' first though.
 Rythmn
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2009 1:08:36 AM
the racism and false accusations in our system, force me to not accept the death penalty. if i could be sure we were really executing killers ( as well as not letting killers buy their way out of the system just because they can afford it) , i might be less worried. this particular man is a sociopath. what has happened to the teen accomplice? i remember that story really upset me.

ah ismene (just above), i see we crossed paths. thanks for that info about the boy.
 aSydneyMale
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/7/2009 4:29:18 AM

I don't believe in the death penalty. A life in prison is adequate. I believe that the government and the people of a country enforcing executions sends a message, which reverberates throughout the culture, that violence is the answer to problems, and this may suggest one reason why America is such a violent nation. In all other modern Western countries, the death penalty no longer exists, and those nations have less violence overall than America. I don't believe this guy is innocent, of course not. Vengeance is not a reason for execution. Removing someone from society is reasonable; exacting vengeance just lowers us as a culture rather than effecting empowerment.

Rave on John Donne (with apologies to Van Morrison).

The death penalty is only state-sponsored vengence and doesn't bring the victims back. It's grotesque and it amazes me a person's life can be in the hands of the likes of both Bush brothers and an individual like Sarah Palin. Has any one of them ever stayed an execution?
 deetristate
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/25/2016 11:01:14 AM
For a moment of reprieve, I wanted to share this:

I just came from a luncheon where someone at the table believes that the Sniper of Mosul is the D C Sniper and that the government faked his execution.

People really don't trust the government. Ha.
 gtomustang
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/25/2016 4:39:24 PM
It is interesting, some people feel comfortable with the idea the government is evil and out to do evil things. Good news is, there's a history going back a long time. Henry Ford believed in the Elders of Zion. On the flip side, the DC sniper is an example of what a lone wolf terrorist or BLM gone bad or a militia gone crazy could accomplish. it wasn't like it took a lot of money or a big group with support.
 deetristate
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/25/2016 4:51:58 PM
I know. It is kind of a shame that the US doesn't put such people to good use as ISIS target snipers.

When I was in college, I used to work with criminals who were brilliant. I often wondered why they didn't use those brains for the good of society.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >