Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 timetripper
Msg: 40
The dumbing down of society and its impact on children and public mindset towards intelligencePage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
The saturation of celebrities in reality shows or quiz shows in a new phenomenom, so its hard to tell if our present date "stars" are any dumber then ones of the past. We, the public lust after them and buy anything that they are in. Im sure there is equal quantities of intelligent thinking celebrities, but intelligence doesnt buy ratings. Perhaps we simple ordinary humans find comfort in the fact that the beautiful, rich and talented of the world are at least dumb. Could we cope with them being intelligent as well??
Do I think society is being dumbed down ? Yes. Do I believe it is the media? Yes.
We also need to take responsibility for ourselves and our children. In a society that is happy to blame everyone for its short falls, from Daddy didnt love me to the President, we need to look at watch we accept as good enough. We have free schools that kids play hookie from everyday and when they are there they are disrespectful to their teachers. We have a mentality of not appreciating an education.
Education is a hard fought for luxury for many people in western civilisation and in not even an option for a huge proportion of the world.
We became free by our education and are now becoming enslaved by our worshipping of materialism. The only true wealth is an open mind and an education.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 41
view profile
History
The dumbing down of society and its impact on children and public mindset towards intelligence
Posted: 11/16/2009 4:21:36 PM
RE Msg: 77 by timetripper:
Education is a hard fought for luxury for many people in western civilisation and in not even an option for a huge proportion of the world.
We became free by our education and are now becoming enslaved by our worshipping of materialism. The only true wealth is an open mind and an education.
You sound like my friends' grandfathers. Many of them didn't have an option to get an education, and had to go out to school very early on in life, to feed their brothers and sisters. They really don't understand why we don't value what for them is something they would have really loved to have. I think it's just that for us, it's a given, and we take it for granted.
 60to70
Msg: 42
The dumbing down of society and its impact on children and public mindset towards intelligence
Posted: 11/16/2009 9:28:06 PM
O.K....again what is there to respect about an education system that continues along the path of redundant curriculum. What can you say about a dead end? I do not care that it is now 2009. I spell better and write better than most of the young ones coming my way and displaying their education. That is a fact. Oh yes.. we now have computers and the Internet to correct all. Dumb. So dumb. A gounding in the beauty of language and its related uses is disappearing at a very quick rate. First up for the Education system....a strong reliance on and debt to History. Understanding the forces that are now so prevalent and uncontested.
 60to70
Msg: 43
Posted: 11/16/2009 10:46:54 PM
Easily said, harder to bear. True? Without a doubt and here is the true key. Always.
 timetripper
Msg: 44
Posted: 11/17/2009 1:35:46 AM
An education is about learning to ask questions and be inquisitive, not to accept everything at face value, not to believe because we were told and perhaps even to believe in ourselves and our dreams and potential, our limitlessness.
 Soul Union
Msg: 45
Posted: 12/13/2012 12:38:57 PM
I recently watched a clip of a certain celebrity struggling to do a very basic math question on Who Wants to be a Millionaire --BoredGuy18

You know, BoredGuy18, I watched something very similar on TV last night here in New Zealand. This is now December 2012 [your post was in 2009] so I doubt if we are talking about the same situation, although it was in the Australian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

A research scientist, a very bright, confident, 'serious' woman, was asked what 5/6th of a circle was in terms of degrees. Eddie, the host, tried to explain to her that all you had to do was divide 360 by 6 = 60 and multiply that by 5 = 300. He was very patient with her, but when asked to divide 360 by 6, it blew her mind and she shook her head.

This is a research scientist we're talking about, with a heady, highly-paid, much-respected, illustrious position, where the rest of us blurt: "Ooooh, you must be such a clever woman."

I used to be in awe of formal qualifications, but I woke up in the last few years. Degrees don't mean Jack split. The game's up, folks.

- Peter
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2012 1:01:22 PM
Well, on behalf of the poor "celebs," not all of them are used to being asked in the midst of an "ohmygodI'montvinfrontofamillionpeople" panic attack, to perform arithmetic operations. Having experienced more than one such experience myself, I have a bit more patience about it.

You don't have to be famous for something, to suffer a mental hiccup when pressed in an out-of-your-usual-line-of-work scenario. It really is NOT an indication:

--that the world is going to pot;

--that modern education is worse than the 'good old days;'

--that being a celebrity makes a person "dumb;"

--or that "degrees don't mean jack split."

It just means that people under bright lights, being scrutinized by a bunch of people holding boom microphones, and wielding giant cameras, tend to have a little more trouble being able to shift gears from one area of knowledge to another.
 DameWrite
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2012 10:33:53 PM
If you allow kids to watch crap on the televalium, then YOU as a parent are too blame for some of the dumming down, not the "celebrities" who may be dummied down themselves.

Same goes for teachers, the curriculum offered and anything else you expose your children to. Including private school and public school.

With the garbage that is being offered it's going to be tough to raise aware children. There are too many forces against it.

Poor "food" chemicals everywhere, poisoned water, gases, radiation,t.v. education systems, the media, it goes on and on.

The best we can do now is keep it simple and offer the best surroundings, food, and tools and people to support them in this world. We need to prepared them so they can weed out the b.s. after our job as parents lessens.

I'm hoping that the few who do get out of these times with half a brain, use it to change the system in place.
 Soul Union
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/16/2013 11:07:19 PM
Besides, it doesn't mean much. The UK has a 99% literacy rate. Yet I've met people in their late 20s who couldn't read or write, in the nation's capital. Is it really a boast to say that people in Washington cannot read or write? --- Scorpiomover

I'm with Scorpio.

I have just watched another episode of Who Wants to be a Millionaire?, the Australian version. The majority of the candidates sitting on the chairs waiting to take their place were young, high-powered, aggressive, get-out-of-my-way, 'educated' types, ready to tear the competition by the throat.

One man, in his thirties, a logistics manager for a major Australian company, a man with a lot of the talk and the arm-waving and the high-powered speech and the 'threatening' demeanour, didn't know how many mainland states there are in Australia, his home country. (There are five.) He bombed out immediately. Back to the logistics factory with his bullshit.

The next person, a frowning, arrogant, trouser-wearing feminist type woman, about 25, a trainee psychologist, had trouble working out which century the date 1588, the Battle of the Spanish Armada, was. She brushed it off with an aggressive toss of her arrogant head and marched off into obscurity. She bombed out. Back to the psychology. Back to the modern-day witchcraft and pulling the wool over people's eyes.

And so it went on . . . until an old gal, a shaky old crone in her late sixties, I would say, a 'hag,' according to most men, was asked: "What is the state capital of of Idaho?" Without so much as a blink of her heavily crow-lined eyes, without any hesitation, this gently dressed woman in her old black skirt and sensible shoes, no qualifications, no psychology, no pretentiousness, offered: "Would that be Boise?" You could almost hear the frenzied scratching and the tearing and the hissing going on behind the scenes, as the 'professionals' reacted with venom.

Nah, I am for the Old School. I am for education as it used to be. Today's social experiment in schools has failed millions, and the results will reverberate for decades to come.

"Bachelors degrees make pretty good place mats if you get 'em laminated."
--- Jeph Jacques

Best wishes

Soul.
 Rheostatic
Msg: 49
Posted: 1/17/2013 10:41:02 AM
People have always been accustomed to public displays of outright stupidity. This is not at all a modern phenomenen.
 Celje
Msg: 50
Posted: 1/17/2013 3:53:42 PM
Could You Have Passed the 8th Grade in 1895?

This is the eighth-grade final exam from 1895 from Salina, KS. It was taken from the original document on file at the Smoky Valley Genealogical Society and Library in Salina, KS and reprinted by the Salina Journal.
8th Grade Final Exam: Salina, KS – 1895

Grammar (Time, one hour)

1. Give nine rules for the use of Capital Letters.

2. Name the Parts of Speech and define those that have no modifications.

3. Define Verse, Stanza and Paragraph.

4. What are the Principal Parts of a verb? Give Principal Parts of do, lie, lay and run.

5. Define Case, Illustrate each Case.

6. What is Punctuation? Give rules for principal marks of Punctuation.

7 - 10. Write a composition of about 150 words and show therein that you understand the practical use of the rules of grammar.

Arithmetic (Time, 1.25 hours)

1. Name and define the Fundamental Rules of Arithmetic.

2. A wagon box is 2 ft. deep, 10 feet long, and 3 ft. wide. How many bushels of wheat will it hold?

3. If a load of wheat weighs 3942 lbs., what is it worth at 50 cts. per bu., deducting 1050 lbs. for tare?

4. District No. 33 has a valuation of $35,000. What is the necessary levy to carry on a school seven months at $50 per month, and have $104 for incidentals?

5. Find cost of 6720 lbs. coal at $6.00 per ton.

6. Find the interest of $512.60 for 8 months and 18 days at 7 percent.

7. What is the cost of 40 boards 12 inches wide and 16 ft. long at $20 per m?

8. Find bank discount on $300 for 90 days (no grace) at 10 percent.

9. What is the cost of a square farm at $15 per acre, the distance around which is 640 rods?

10. Write a Bank Check, a Promissory Note, and a Receipt.

U.S. History (Time, 45 minutes)

1. Give the epochs into which U.S. History is divided.

2. Give an account of the discovery of America by Columbus.

3. Relate the causes and results of the Revolutionary War.

4. Show the territorial growth of the United States.

5. Tell what you can of the history of Kansas.

6. Describe three of the most prominent battles of the Rebellion.

7. Who were the following: Morse, Whitney, Fulton, Bell, Lincoln, Penn, and Howe?

8. Name events connected with the following dates: 1607, 1620, 1800, 1849, and 1865?

Orthography (Time, one hour)

1. What is meant by the following: Alphabet, phonetic orthography, etymology, syllabication?

2. What are elementary sounds? How classified?

3. What are the following, and give examples of each: Trigraph, subvocals, diphthong, cognate letters, linguals?

4. Give four substitutes for caret 'u'.

5. Give two rules for spelling words with final 'e'. Name two exceptions under each rule.

6. Give two uses of silent letters in spelling. Illustrate each.

7. Define the following prefixes and use in connection with a word: Bi, dis, mis, pre, semi, post, non, inter, mono, super.

8. Mark diacritically and divide into syllables the following, and name the sign that indicates the sound: Card, ball, mercy, sir, odd, cell, rise, blood, fare, last.

9. Use the following correctly in sentences, Cite, site, sight, fane, fain, feign, vane, vain, vein, raze, raise, rays.

10. Write 10 words frequently mispronounced and indicate pronunciation by use of diacritical marks and by syllabication.

Geography (Time, one hour)

1. What is climate? Upon what does climate depend?

2. How do you account for the extremes of climate in Kansas?

3. Of what use are rivers? Of what use is the ocean?

4. Describe the mountains of N.A.

5. Name and describe the following: Monrovia, Odessa, Denver, Manitoba, Hecla, Yukon, St. Helena, Juan Fermandez, spinwall and Orinoco.

6. Name and locate the principal trade centers of the U.S.

7. Name all the republics of Europe and give capital of each.

8. Why is the Atlantic Coast colder than the Pacific in the same latitude?

9. Describe the process by which the water of the ocean returns to the sources of rivers.

10. Describe the movements of the earth. Give inclination of the earth.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 51
Posted: 1/17/2013 4:46:40 PM
As to the stupidity of celebrities....
I don't keep up on celeb culture,
but folks who do tend to like their celebs abit dumb.
Gives them hope they could get famous some day...
if that lunkhead could do it.

Plus...they like to see celebs get busted.
get divorced.
go to jail.
go broke.
Makes envying em less painful.

Schools are a separate issue.
Unconnected to celebrities.

On that we could have the finest public school system in the world
if we would just pay for it.
As we don't...public schools are assembly lines
designed to get kids thru them as cheaply as possible.
An actual education may happen as a pleasant side benefit.
:-)
 Rheostatic
Msg: 52
Posted: 1/18/2013 9:03:55 AM
@ Celje

Most people would pass that test if they had just spent several weeks/months memorizing the material. I got straight A's in high school calulus, but show me one of those tests right now and I'd fail the hell out of it. My brain doesn't need the information anymore, so it's been forgotten.

In short, that's a really poor example to use when comparing education standards then now. Not only is it focussing on rote/repetition, but it completely ignores the arts, tests only basic arithmetic, ad desn't even touch on world history.

But my entire point is moot when you consdider the fact that the 1895 exam thing is a fake.
 starfishgazer
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2013 12:01:17 PM
Oh so true!
As an example my son is lucky enough to be fairly free thinking and intelligent. He has got into a top university from a poor single parent family. One of his fellow students has a Tory/Conservative MP as a father who recently wanted to get rid of any protection of low paid workers and was luckily stopped( by Vince Cable a fair minded MP).
My point is this rich ruling elite student voices his low opinions of working class people i.e. " the poor don't know how to manage their money properly". He goes to Milan/Paris ect for weekends and has a so called job through his father in London which he boasts about having champagne lunches for thousands of pounds.
ful After the first academic year at university this student could not be bothered to clear up his dorm and the euros he had left over...so he just binned the money....and my son picked it up, saved it towards his university study trip abroad.
Wake up everyone power and wealthy corporations/individuals will keep you down as it keeps them up!
 Celje
Msg: 54
Posted: 1/19/2013 8:13:49 AM
I posted that exam because it was in my email and I thought it was funny.
I spent 2 days a week in high school, studied 5 mins before most tests and passed. My school's authoritie's lied to me about certain curriculum they assumed was manditory for all student's, and I proved them wrong. I got my diploma in the mail, I think it ended up in the fire starting paper bin.
 naturallylaidback
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2013 12:48:06 PM
The education system is just for indoctrination now. Whether this is by design or because 90% of the teachers are females that were indoctrinated in university is up for interpretation. Either way the best thing you can do for your kids is encourage them to read and think for themselves. Not all schools have abandoned critical thinking in favour of critical theory, but because of who the teachers are much has been lost. Also the easiest way to destroy a people is to destroy the family and this has been accomplished to a large degree in the west. I remember grade three sex ed class and the young women teachers fresh out of college telling us that the nuclear family does not exist any more for us. Funny that the next year my parents divorced. If you need further proof of how just how much energy is being wasted in education look no further than womans studies and gender studies. Goebbels would be proud.
 Soul Union
Msg: 56
Posted: 1/20/2013 3:03:08 PM

The education system is just for indoctrination now. Whether this is by design or because 90% of the teachers are females that were indoctrinated in university is up for interpretation. Either way the best thing you can do for your kids is encourage them to read and think for themselves. Not all schools have abandoned critical thinking in favour of critical theory, but because of who the teachers are much has been lost. Also the easiest way to destroy a people is to destroy the family and this has been accomplished to a large degree in the west. I remember grade three sex ed class and the young women teachers fresh out of college telling us that the nuclear family does not exist any more for us. Funny that the next year my parents divorced. If you need further proof of how just how much energy is being wasted in education look no further than womans studies and gender studies. Goebbels would be proud. --- naturallylaidback

^ This is one smart man.

I read horror stories in American newspaper articles and blogs and forums what have you, and I hear about little children, just toddlers, in American classrooms who are being forced to stand up and salute a photograph of Barack Hussein Obama, to offer some kind of 'pledge' to this person.

Here in New Zealand, I listen to Talkback Radio, and I hear a multitude of horror stories. For instance, a retired headmaster phoned in:

"Just before I left, I had a group of school-leavers, boys about 16 years of age. There were ten of them. I interviewed them separately, one at a time. I asked them, 'What is half of three dozen?' Not one of them - not one of these bright, go-ahead, can't-wait-to-get-into-the-world boys with their leaving certificates, knew what I was talking about. I asked them, 'Who was Thomas Jefferson?' Not one of them knew. Finally, exasperated and ashamed, I asked them to name two of Shakespeare's works. One of the ten cited Romeo and Juliet."

Another caller, an old school educated teacher, told the DJ that her 12-year-old daughter had received "over a hundred condoms" in one year from her Marxist, anti-God, anti-family, jumped-up, empty-headed teacher. "Mom, it's getting ridiculous. I don't want this," she told her mother. When asked by the teacher when they last had sex (these are girls in the 11-14 age range), and receiving a big 'never,' the teacher was fuming. "So why don't you get ON with it?" was her response.

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about this. You can take your child out of school and have him or her homeschooled, but even that prospect is shaky. There are laws being put in place in Europe that make it illegal for a parent to home school, for obvious reasons. Those in power, those behind the scenes - the real power behind the societal throne - want your children exposed to the pluralistic, Marxist, anti-God doctrine. They want your children to learn about everything that corrupts and rots and poisons the traditional family.

Like I said, there is nothing we can do about this. It will take its course. It is a cycle, and that cycle began in 1947-48 when the United Nations was spawned. For anyone who still has airy-fairy, holier-than-thou, fantasist ideas about exactly what the United Nations is, perhaps you should read these books and educate yourself. The UN wants to de-Americanize America. It is not the organization most of us think it is. These books will change your way of thinking:

The Fearful Master by G Edward Griffin
The Late Great USA: The Coming Merger with Mexico & Canda by Dr Jerome Corsi, PhD
Feminism & and The New World Order by Dr Henry Makow, PhD
The UN & The Emerging New World Order: The UN's Plans for Humanity by William F Jasper

Here's to an enlightened population.

- Peter
 Soul Union
Msg: 57
Posted: 1/20/2013 3:03:52 PM

The education system is just for indoctrination now. Whether this is by design or because 90% of the teachers are females that were indoctrinated in university is up for interpretation. Either way the best thing you can do for your kids is encourage them to read and think for themselves. Not all schools have abandoned critical thinking in favour of critical theory, but because of who the teachers are much has been lost. Also the easiest way to destroy a people is to destroy the family and this has been accomplished to a large degree in the west. I remember grade three sex ed class and the young women teachers fresh out of college telling us that the nuclear family does not exist any more for us. Funny that the next year my parents divorced. If you need further proof of how just how much energy is being wasted in education look no further than womans studies and gender studies. Goebbels would be proud. --- naturallylaidback

^ This is one smart man.

I read horror stories in American newspaper articles and blogs and forums what have you, and I hear about little children, just toddlers, in American classrooms who are being forced to stand up and salute a photograph of Barack Hussein Obama, to offer some kind of 'pledge' to this person.

Here in New Zealand, I listen to Talkback Radio, and I hear a multitude of horror stories. For instance, a retired headmaster phoned in:

"Just before I left, I had a group of school-leavers, boys about 16 years of age. There were ten of them. I interviewed them separately, one at a time. I asked them, 'What is half of three dozen?' Not one of them - not one of these bright, go-ahead, can't-wait-to-get-into-the-world boys with their leaving certificates, knew what I was talking about. I asked them, 'Who was Thomas Jefferson?' Not one of them knew. Finally, exasperated and ashamed, I asked them to name two of Shakespeare's works. One of the ten cited Romeo and Juliet."

Another caller, an old school educated teacher, told the DJ that her 12-year-old daughter had received "over a hundred condoms" in one year from her Marxist, anti-God, anti-family, jumped-up, empty-headed teacher. "Mom, it's getting ridiculous. I don't want this," she told her mother. When asked by the teacher when they last had sex (these are girls in the 11-14 age range), and receiving a big 'never,' the teacher was fuming. "So why don't you get ON with it?" was her response.

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about this. You can take your child out of school and have him or her homeschooled, but even that prospect is shaky. There are laws being put in place in Europe that make it illegal for a parent to home school, for obvious reasons. Those in power, those behind the scenes - the real power behind the societal throne - want your children exposed to the pluralistic, Marxist, anti-God doctrine. They want your children to learn about everything that corrupts and rots and poisons the traditional family.

Like I said, there is nothing we can do about this. It will take its course. It is a cycle, and that cycle began in 1947-48 when the United Nations was spawned. For anyone who still has airy-fairy, holier-than-thou, fantasist ideas about exactly what the United Nations is, perhaps you should read these books and educate yourself. The UN wants to de-Americanize America. It is not the organization most of us think it is. These books will change your way of thinking:

The Fearful Master by G Edward Griffin
The Late Great USA: The Coming Merger with Mexico & Canda by Dr Jerome Corsi, PhD
Feminism & and The New World Order by Dr Henry Makow, PhD
The UN & The Emerging New World Order: The UN's Plans for Humanity by William F Jasper

Here's to the possibility of an enlightened, fully-awake population.

- Peter
 algha
Msg: 58
Posted: 1/21/2013 6:43:58 PM
It is important to dumb down society, as having an educated informed population is dangerous for certain ruling classes. Having ill informed politicians, spawned from such a system is also very commendable.

Let them, the masses, have their circuses, where all they are interested in is self gratification and identifications with mass media fabricated celebrities. Keeping the individual, the self as the primary issue, allows an authority to manage such peoples. They will accept the dictate of those that they are told, know better than they do, and see further than ordinary people do. One has to create a, them and us, a master and slave relationship, even if the chains these days are invisible, but felt through debts, bills and other responsibilities.

So the clever people on this site, can realise they can also exploit the ignorant, play them for suckers, just as corporations and banks have done. Steal money while telling ordinary people its an investment, except in your, as opposed to their future. learn from the media in disclosing only what the ignorant need to know, and they need to know nothing of value at all. When it comes to academics, specialisation is the answer, allowing the right hand to be unaware of the left, keeps them confined to their areas of expertise.

So I endorse the dumbing down of the majority, the serfs of the future, where laws can criminalise them all, as incarceration inhibits breeding of the unfit, and educationally challenged.

Hitler is an icon of evil, but we all know the Nazis had great ideas, from medicine, engineering, and more. These ideas have of course been completely repackaged and sanitised. Sterilisation of the mentally challenged has of course now been stopped, but the scope for aggressive implementations of surveillance is a corporate dream come true. Its just a money making machine, and its offshoots grow unabated. If one could incarcerate nations from birth one could decide who gets fed, who lives and those that are just not worth it, can die not from mass murder but natural causes like neglect. Well such extreme realisations are for the future for the educated and semi educated nations, although practiced widely in the under-developed world, but the bricks for this are being put in place today. So farming the ignorant, manipulated through the smug semi educated, using the wonders that modern technology can provide, a captivating utopia for some.
 Soul Union
Msg: 59
Posted: 1/21/2013 8:03:41 PM
Let them, the masses, have their circuses, where all they are interested in is self gratification and identifications with mass media fabricated celebrities. Keeping the individual, the self as the primary issue, allows an authority to manage such peoples. They will accept the dictate of those that they are told, know better than they do, and see further than ordinary people do. One has to create a, them and us, a master and slave relationship, even if the chains these days are invisible, but felt through debts, bills and other responsibilities. --- algha

Wow . . . I am still shaking my head here at this brilliance. Stands back in amazement, as they say.

If only a tiny fraction of the population realized just how 'controlled' their lives are; if only they could see that they are no more than tax-paying sheep behind a multi-faceted, global fence; if only they could open their eyes and see, for instance, the reason behind The Simpsons and the other sinister TV programmes, to name just a handful of areas of concern - we would have a revolution tomorrow.

Incidentally, and I can only speak for people here in New Zealand, next time you apply for your NZ passport, take a look at the page where your photograph goes. See that large, circular, lumpy gadget fitted under that extraordinarily thick plastic? That is a microchip, my friends. It's not there for your benefit; it's there for your government's benefit. The information contained within is 'shared' among all government agencies. And you thought you had 'privacy'? Nah, privacy lies buried in the earth without a headstone or a marker. Privacy? Have you heard of the Glasgow Eye, for instance? It is a multi-million-pound surveillance system, with thousands of concealed and not-so-concealed cameras all over the place, watching your every move. I read recently that Britain is the most 'watched' and photographed nation on earth, and that the average person gets photographed approximately 300 times each day.

Oh yes, there's nothing like democracy, freedom of speech and privacy. Here's to the future!

- Peter
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
--- George Orwell
 andynamics
Msg: 60
Posted: 1/21/2013 9:16:26 PM
Parents concerned about society's affect on their children should be a role model and direct them to a role model(s) they see fit at a young age when they are most impressionable. I don't see the point in waiting for society to change.
 fishiefisher
Msg: 61
Posted: 1/25/2013 3:59:15 PM
Very well put.

Henry Ford also once said...(paraphrased)

"If the American ppl fIgured out how the monetary system worked, today, there'd be a revolution tomorrow".
 RussArtLover
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2013 10:20:49 PM
Could be getting rid of teachers is the future. We'll have an optomised AI to teach and security people in the classroom instead of a live teacher. Sounds ominous but it's preferable to darkside teachers. The few Good teachers left could all teach at private schools for the gifted. The wealthy will prefer private AI's to tutor they're kids so they maintain they're aloofness. Mommies and Daddies can still homeschool for the same reason.

Wheels within wheels
 natural energy
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2014 2:11:09 AM

That said, the education system has been watered down greatly during my life time. I recall, at the beginning of the 70s, there was talk about children not needing to be taught how to spell because they would learn it on their own through use and practice (they never did) and that they didn't have to learn their times tables or basic arithmetic because they could just use a calculator to do it. I remember thinking that it was extremely shortsighted, but what do i know.

At this point, there are two or three generations that have gone through a dumbed down system and the question now is, "Who will teach the teachers?"
from zunflower

I guess I am reviving this thread!

Depending on what "era" you were educated in, will influence your answer to this question.

I have had the "advantage" of having a highly professional career (20+ years) prior to becoming a teacher (part-time college and now full time high school teacher), so have a "blended" pool of resources to reference ... my subject areas being Math, Business, Computer Science, and science ..... and I teach Careers/Civics ... who knows what else they will give me to teach! My English and Grammar is better than many of the new English teachers! :) or :(

Yes, IMHO, our education system has been dumbed down and continues to spiral in that direction! ... I am finding it more and more difficult as a teacher ... what is viewed as a quality teacher now is what I refer to as a "friend" to the students ... to make them feel good about themselves .... this has been touched on a few times in this thread. As a teacher I agree! I certainly covered more in my high school math when I was in high school, than is covered now ... in order to "push" more students through our system, the standards have had to come down ... but the administration will not admit to this .... also, most of the administration are a result of this dumbed down education system, as are the younger teachers, so they don't know any better. How else can "they" boast about the high percentage of "successful" graduates and high "literacy" and "numeracy" results!

There are many conspiracy theories out there that support this dumbing down of the population concept! Many of you have touched on it here already .... control of the masses! Does this sound like history possibly repeating itself if the wrong leader gets in power? ... or do the key families in this world control our leaders? ... search for "13 bloodlines that rule the world" (I see that you cannot post web sites any longer)

There are many pedagogies in effect now as teachers .... many of them can be categorized in Differentiated Learning with open-ended and parallel learning tasks and investigative learning. What I see as flaws in most of these new (or rather, slightly modified previous pedagogies) is that most teachers don't take the time to "consolidate" the results of the investigations! ... so not all students will come up with the same results! When you are teaching students who are not highly academic, the curriculum allows for time where you can do this. For the highly academic curriculum, it is difficult to fit in "investigative" and "differentiated" learning and be able to cover all the material. With unlimited time, this would be a great way to teach and learn! ... as long as consolidation occurs to summarize the findings a... but, it is not an efficient use of time. Some of the theories are great! ... but as has been hinted at a few times on this thread .... often new management models and teaching models are the Harvard Flavour of The Month, with very little analysis! ... what I would call "Live Production Testing" on our children .... in Information Technology terms!
 Etritonakin
Msg: 65
Posted: 8/15/2014 10:36:16 PM
Problems with the educational system -more broken homes -technology/media/entertainment leading to decreased attention spans -societal issues -information overload -all have an effect....

I don't think it would be easy to concentrate on what is being taught these days -even if taught well. The world is going mad and I have difficulty with it as an adult. I used to be very concerned with what I saw on the news -these kids wonder if they are going to be on the news due to some tragedy or another.

Then you have popular culture -which certainly doesn't encourage proper spelling, grammar -or proper anything else. I see a ridiculous number of misspellings in news reports, descriptions of programs on cable, web pages, etc. (that red squiggly line under the word -what's up with that? People shouldn't even have to try to spell correctly these days.) -not to mention bad grammar and sentence structure (I'm not the best at such things -so if I can spot them, there are definitely problems).

A lack of math skills is more understandable, in my opinion -especially if you don't work with numbers every day.

Another factor is the sheer amount of knowledge available. We expect one generation to be more knowledgeable than the last -to build on the foundation of the last -but each individual of any generation has generally the same capacity. Therefore, less time can be spent on old knowledge so that more can be spent on new and more pertinent subjects.
If more needs to be done in less time, the end result is the focus -not the process.
If one person has already thought through the process, others do not need to think it through every time.

I just pressed "Enter". Do I need to know everything that happened in my computer between the key and the screen when I pressed Enter? No. I'm not dumb -I just don't need to know everything -and it's actually impossible to do so (especially since we keep making up new stuff to know). Someone needs to know -but not me.

I definitely think important basic skills are not being taught -or not being learned (not to mention simply how to be a generally good person and have healthy relationships). There are certain things everyone should know in order to allow them to be adaptable and less reliant on technology, which should be balanced with education on the leading edge of any given field.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >