Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 fishiefisher
Msg: 61
The dumbing down of society and its impact on children and public mindset towards intelligencePage 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Very well put.

Henry Ford also once said...(paraphrased)

"If the American ppl fIgured out how the monetary system worked, today, there'd be a revolution tomorrow".
 zunflower
Msg: 62
The dumbing down of society and its impact on children and public mindset towards intelligence
Posted: 1/26/2013 7:36:58 PM
About a year ago, I read a study that indicated that one's peers had more influence over a child than the parents had. There is tremendous peer pressure (and societal pressure) to become wealthy, have fame, and be popular. These values are far more sought after than studying at school. I think the hidden message of society is , "Yes, we know that we're supposed to work hard at school and understand the sums, but in real life, it's the guys with the fame and fortune that get the best out of life. So those people are the ones I want to emulate."

That said, the education system has been watered down greatly during my life time. I recall, at the beginning of the 70s, there was talk about children not needing to be taught how to spell because they would learn it on their own through use and practice (they never did) and that they didn't have to learn their times tables or basic arithmetic because they could just use a calculator to do it. I remember thinking that it was extremely shortsighted, but what do i know.

At this point, there are two or three generations that have gone through a dumbed down system and the question now is, "Who will teach the teachers?"
 RussArtLover
Msg: 63
view profile
History
The dumbing down of society and its impact on children and public mindset towards intelligence
Posted: 1/26/2013 10:20:49 PM
Could be getting rid of teachers is the future. We'll have an optomised AI to teach and security people in the classroom instead of a live teacher. Sounds ominous but it's preferable to darkside teachers. The few Good teachers left could all teach at private schools for the gifted. The wealthy will prefer private AI's to tutor they're kids so they maintain they're aloofness. Mommies and Daddies can still homeschool for the same reason.

Wheels within wheels
 natural energy
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2014 2:11:09 AM

That said, the education system has been watered down greatly during my life time. I recall, at the beginning of the 70s, there was talk about children not needing to be taught how to spell because they would learn it on their own through use and practice (they never did) and that they didn't have to learn their times tables or basic arithmetic because they could just use a calculator to do it. I remember thinking that it was extremely shortsighted, but what do i know.

At this point, there are two or three generations that have gone through a dumbed down system and the question now is, "Who will teach the teachers?"
from zunflower

I guess I am reviving this thread!

Depending on what "era" you were educated in, will influence your answer to this question.

I have had the "advantage" of having a highly professional career (20+ years) prior to becoming a teacher (part-time college and now full time high school teacher), so have a "blended" pool of resources to reference ... my subject areas being Math, Business, Computer Science, and science ..... and I teach Careers/Civics ... who knows what else they will give me to teach! My English and Grammar is better than many of the new English teachers! :) or :(

Yes, IMHO, our education system has been dumbed down and continues to spiral in that direction! ... I am finding it more and more difficult as a teacher ... what is viewed as a quality teacher now is what I refer to as a "friend" to the students ... to make them feel good about themselves .... this has been touched on a few times in this thread. As a teacher I agree! I certainly covered more in my high school math when I was in high school, than is covered now ... in order to "push" more students through our system, the standards have had to come down ... but the administration will not admit to this .... also, most of the administration are a result of this dumbed down education system, as are the younger teachers, so they don't know any better. How else can "they" boast about the high percentage of "successful" graduates and high "literacy" and "numeracy" results!

There are many conspiracy theories out there that support this dumbing down of the population concept! Many of you have touched on it here already .... control of the masses! Does this sound like history possibly repeating itself if the wrong leader gets in power? ... or do the key families in this world control our leaders? ... search for "13 bloodlines that rule the world" (I see that you cannot post web sites any longer)

There are many pedagogies in effect now as teachers .... many of them can be categorized in Differentiated Learning with open-ended and parallel learning tasks and investigative learning. What I see as flaws in most of these new (or rather, slightly modified previous pedagogies) is that most teachers don't take the time to "consolidate" the results of the investigations! ... so not all students will come up with the same results! When you are teaching students who are not highly academic, the curriculum allows for time where you can do this. For the highly academic curriculum, it is difficult to fit in "investigative" and "differentiated" learning and be able to cover all the material. With unlimited time, this would be a great way to teach and learn! ... as long as consolidation occurs to summarize the findings a... but, it is not an efficient use of time. Some of the theories are great! ... but as has been hinted at a few times on this thread .... often new management models and teaching models are the Harvard Flavour of The Month, with very little analysis! ... what I would call "Live Production Testing" on our children .... in Information Technology terms!
 Etritonakin
Msg: 65
Posted: 8/15/2014 10:36:16 PM
Problems with the educational system -more broken homes -technology/media/entertainment leading to decreased attention spans -societal issues -information overload -all have an effect....

I don't think it would be easy to concentrate on what is being taught these days -even if taught well. The world is going mad and I have difficulty with it as an adult. I used to be very concerned with what I saw on the news -these kids wonder if they are going to be on the news due to some tragedy or another.

Then you have popular culture -which certainly doesn't encourage proper spelling, grammar -or proper anything else. I see a ridiculous number of misspellings in news reports, descriptions of programs on cable, web pages, etc. (that red squiggly line under the word -what's up with that? People shouldn't even have to try to spell correctly these days.) -not to mention bad grammar and sentence structure (I'm not the best at such things -so if I can spot them, there are definitely problems).

A lack of math skills is more understandable, in my opinion -especially if you don't work with numbers every day.

Another factor is the sheer amount of knowledge available. We expect one generation to be more knowledgeable than the last -to build on the foundation of the last -but each individual of any generation has generally the same capacity. Therefore, less time can be spent on old knowledge so that more can be spent on new and more pertinent subjects.
If more needs to be done in less time, the end result is the focus -not the process.
If one person has already thought through the process, others do not need to think it through every time.

I just pressed "Enter". Do I need to know everything that happened in my computer between the key and the screen when I pressed Enter? No. I'm not dumb -I just don't need to know everything -and it's actually impossible to do so (especially since we keep making up new stuff to know). Someone needs to know -but not me.

I definitely think important basic skills are not being taught -or not being learned (not to mention simply how to be a generally good person and have healthy relationships). There are certain things everyone should know in order to allow them to be adaptable and less reliant on technology, which should be balanced with education on the leading edge of any given field.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >