Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Workout Routines for Real People      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 zarathustra00
Msg: 2
Workout Routines for Real PeoplePage 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Any reason why you're omitting leg and back exercises? They should actually be a priority if you're trying to retain lean mass when losing weight since they are the larger muscle groups.
 Svetlana Blue
Msg: 3
Workout Routines for Real People
Posted: 11/4/2009 5:29:45 PM
What about back and legs? And diet???????????
 ChefInJeans
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2009 7:37:36 AM
Thanks for all the input, this sis why I wanted to start this thread becuase I personally have no clue to the finer science behind working out. All the comments have been noted and I'll make the neccesary changes next time Im working out.
 zarathustra00
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/5/2009 2:41:46 PM

that you will build a far better physique far more easily by lifting weights

What's considered a 'better physique' is subjective.
But I would assume what's held in higher regard by most, would be easlier achieved with resistance training.
 zarathustra00
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/5/2009 3:26:07 PM
Squelchmaster... I was actually trying to quote HO2's post.
 ChefInJeans
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2009 8:16:28 AM
I started this thread for people to share and talk about workout routines they've done, and whats worked for them, and what hasnt worked for them. I DID NOT start this to be the arena for some internet pissing match about who's in the best shape or who has the best routine.
 ChefInJeans
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2009 9:24:53 AM
Changed my routine a bit, focused more on heart rate and not resistance on my cardio and nwo included back and legs into the mix. I also got a good pattern going with very little downtime between sets. I didnt really add much but those few changes completely kicked my ass, much more intense and hopefully better work out.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Cheers
 ChefInJeans
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2009 9:46:41 AM
I do a 30 min cardio session, thats 5 minutes of somewhat lite and easy, enough to get my heart moving, and then 5 minutes of higher resistance work. Rinse. Repeat.

I then do 3 sets of the following routine

Chest press
Tricep extensions
Weighted Row (probably gotthe name of that one wrong)
Shoulder Shrugs
Bicep Curls
Leg Extensions

Im a bit limited by the equipment available, so im trying to make the best of what I do have.
 ChefInJeans
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2009 10:03:07 AM
Squat and dead lift no. Same with chin ups and dips really. There's a pull down machine, but that's it. There are both, but with like no variety. Barbells have a total of I think 40 pounds, plus the bars, one long one, one short one. And the dumbbells go from 5lbs, 10lbs, to 45lbs lol.

Aerobic stuff aster weights is something I would've never thought of but that makes sense. I guess I thought the aerobics would be somewhat of a warmup.
 ChefInJeans
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2009 10:14:50 AM
Hmm, i'll have to toy around with whats doable and what Im comfortable with. I gotta watch out for certain things because Ive got a trick knee that'll try to go all wopperjawed if I do something wrong, but I'll definitely try to work some new stuff in, even if just to mix it up.

Ive only been back in the gym fulltime for about 2 weeks now and im already seeing a little bit of improvement so anything to better what Im doing will be good stuff for me. Thanks again for the input.
 zarathustra00
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/6/2009 10:29:59 AM

Hell, there's a lot you can do with dumbbells up to 45lbs. Deadlifts, stiff legged deadlifts, bent over rows, cleans, hang cleans, push press, thrusters, curls, pushups between them, etc. String a few of those exercises together into a circuit or a complex and you'll feel like you've been hit by a train.

Word.

I do a 30 min cardio session, thats 5 minutes of somewhat lite and easy, enough to get my heart moving, and then 5 minutes of higher resistance work. Rinse. Repeat.

I then do 3 sets of the following routine

Chest press
Tricep extensions
Weighted Row (probably gotthe name of that one wrong)
Shoulder Shrugs
Bicep Curls
Leg Extensions

Im a bit limited by the equipment available, so im trying to make the best of what I do have.

Even if you're atached to doing 3 straight sets of each exercise... replace it with these exercises instead and in this order:
Walking lunges with dumbells (3 sets of 20 steps)
Deadlifts or stiff legged deads with dumbells
Low incline or flat benchpress with dumbells
Single arm dumbell rows
Standing overhead dumbell press
Shrugs
Tricep extensions
Bicep curls
 ChefInJeans
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2009 10:45:41 AM
Please allow me to ask very dumb questions because my knowledge of work out terms goes about as far as dumbells are heavy.

Deadlifts would be, dumbbells on the floor, bend down, pick em up, lift em to chest height?
And then what would be the stiff legged variation?

And as far as the benchpress goes, I dont have a bench to do that lol, I do have the chest press/fly machine though, I dont know how comparable that is.
 zarathustra00
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/6/2009 10:56:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfbPrJvpwYQ

What's demonstrated in the vid is more of a stiff legged deadlift though.

If you don't have a bench, you could always do pushups. I would probably recommend that before the machine press for now. Or if pushups are too easy for you... combine the machine flyes with pushups. Do the machine flyes for sets of 12 and with no rest, immediately perform pushups with the hands at least shoulder width apart. Then rest 1 or 2 min and repeat the combo.
 koncrete
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/7/2009 11:42:14 AM
I'm not big but I'm pretty strong and ripped. But hiking and stuff you can do at home can never compare to a hard gym workout. What h20 speaks of is cardio which is good for burning fat and making your heart and cardiovascular system stronger, but compete crap at building size, increasing metabolism, and making good lean muscles. Squelchmeister right. h02 is.. well, misguided.
 Svetlana Blue
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/7/2009 11:52:31 AM
Koncrete, I hear ya. You should see some of the other crap he says. Enuff to make ya barf. lmfao Cardio helps, diet is still (I feel) 75% of it. The rest is working out and supplements. Protein is the key. The key to success. :)
 koncrete
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/7/2009 12:00:35 PM
You can workout all day and have a bad diet or inadequate rest and get nowhere. Diet is just as important as the workout itself. You need both to get anywhere at all. I'm at the opposite end of most, I have difficulty gaining weight due to an ultra-high metabolism from gym weight training. 4,000 cals in a minimum or I will starve. At 160 now, goal is the hit 165 by January.
 koncrete
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/7/2009 12:25:52 PM
Fedor Emelianenko, the mixed martial arts king - who you may not care for because he doesn't look ripped or shredded - has unbelievable power, explosiveness, quickness - does not work out with weights.

Video right here of Fedor using weights. Fedor weight trains hard like all top MMA artists. Power cleaning 135 for many explosive reps.
http://www.martialfighter.com/mixed-martial-arts-training/simplicity-of-fedor-emelianenko-strength-and-conditioning-training.html

You body will quickly adapt to bodweight training, unless your new to working out. The gym allows you to do weight far greater than your body weight. In main muscle workouts(bench, squat, deadlift, etc) I'm reping much greater than body weight.
 zarathustra00
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/7/2009 1:20:28 PM

I'm not big but I'm pretty strong and ripped. But hiking and stuff you can do at home can never compare to a hard gym workout. What h20 speaks of is cardio which is good for burning fat and making your heart and cardiovascular system stronger, but compete crap at building size, increasing metabolism, and making good lean muscles. Squelchmeister right. h02 is.. well, misguided.

There was nothing wrong though with HO2's first post in this thread IMO.

Perhaps a little cross-training mixing inside gym stuff with outside hiking with a full pack,
doing the "circuit" at a local park, jump rope, medicine/kettle/exercise balls, agility stuff.
Some athletes believe working from the inside out; - build the core -; then the bulk
 zarathustra00
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/10/2009 12:32:45 PM

If it's working for you then good for you, go for it, just be aware that there are things working very well for other people, and be aware of the reasons why those things are working.

Well said SquelchMASTER.
Bill Starr's 5x5 for example hits each major bodypart 3x per week.
I'm also an advocate of higher frequency. I find better strength and hypertrophy gains when hitting bodyparts at least twice per week. And at 40 years old still making gains without 'supplementing' my test levels. To each their own.
 physostegia
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/10/2009 6:05:46 PM
3 days on, one day off then a repeat of the cycle works well for me. Muscle grouping, proper nutrition, and sleep are also major factors that are incorporated.

For most people, instead of going gung ho on exercises, try establishing a nutritional lifestyle that your body can work with for a positive outcome. Once that ground work is laid out, then hit the exercises.

What may the best for some, wont be the best for others. Each body is going to respond differently due to the inherent variables that one faces in their lives. Genetics are also another factor.
 physostegia
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/11/2009 11:45:15 AM
Squelchmeister, that was a funny comment about the orca whale. ... lol. I think that most in this forum have contributed some good pieces of info.

H2O mentioned some great exercises and can often be brutal. Throw in some burpee variations after some aggressive bleacher steps, then if your are still standing, throw in a few sets of pistol squats. Pain. Find a steep hill..run sprints up the hill and jog down it and repeat for 20 minutes. Chop a few cords of wood with an axe....lol..use a dull axe for more of a workout. The list goes on....

I'd have to agree that weights(anaerobic exercise) will produce quicker and more noticeable gains in muscle mass...provided that nutrition and sleep are adequate. Free weight exercises will cause more trauma to the muscle than what aerobic activity will do. In return, the muscles will respond more significantly to growth.

If it were me, Id combine both anaerobic and aerobic exercises to one's workout schedule.
 zarathustra00
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/12/2009 2:10:57 PM
It really comes down to consistency.
Being consistent on a poorly planned program will still reap you more benefits than being inconsistent on a great program. Mind you I said 'poorly planned' not downright retarded. ;)
 ninjaeleven
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2009 11:10:14 PM
Seems you are leaving a lot of things out. How about working from largest muscle to smallest.
chest - bench & incline
back - pulldowns
shoulders - seated press & side raises. NO SHRUGS, large traps are gross and sloope your shoulders.
arm - bicep & tricep
legs - squat, extensions, curls)hamstrings)

lot for 1 day, and I suggest 12 to 15 reps, good form. 2 or 3 sets is enough.
 ninjaeleven
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2009 11:11:03 PM
calf exercise too and a few abs as well, too much in 1 day!!
 dragonbytes
Msg: 26
Posted: 6/26/2015 9:45:23 AM
My new fitness routine. I used to do weights and cardio on seperate days.

I do weights first, ab crunch machine, ab twist machine, curls, triceps, pec deck, pectoral push machine, seated shoulder press, back training with weights, lat pulldowns, seated pullovers, seated dip I sometimes throw in free weights curls, squats, deadlifts. I tend to mix it up. Whatever I do, I end up with seated leg presses.

My goal is to increase strength, but also to get my pulse rate from 70bpm >115-120. When it gets that high, which takes doing leg presses, I switch to a cardio treadmill. On the treadmill, I want my pulse rate to stay above 130, and have at least 10 minutes above 145-155 for a higher intensity

I have been setting the treadmill at a 3 degree slope and 3.7 mph to maintain over 130 bpm, I need to run for a couple of minutes to get my heart rate up to 145. After that with a fast enough walking speed, my heart rate has stayed above 140. It it doesn't, I run some more to get the full 10 min. I do the whole thing for at least 20 minutes up to 60 minutes.

What I changed it doing both weights then cardio on the same day one after the other, and only watching my heart rate on cardio. Wanting my heart rate to stay above 130 BPM, with at least 10 minutes above 145. Whatever it takes to achieve those standards, as I may need to increase the treadmill to keep my heart-rate high enough.

I was using this heart rate calculator, and wanting to do at least 10 min in the Lactate Threshold Zone.

http://runnersconnect.net/training/tools/heart-rate-calculator/

(If I have time and the weather is OK, later in the day I bike outside for an hour at 12 mph on a hilly bike path.)

I don't always do this every day, some days I don't do a lot, it just works out that way. Maybe I miss two days a week.

My theory is the 10 mins in the Lactate Threshold Zone will boost my human growth hormone the most, while the 20-40 min in the Aerobic Training Zone will be good for general cardiovascular health/conditioning. The biking I just do for fun.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Workout Routines for Real People