Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 EarlzP
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Unemployment hits 10.2%Page 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

Manufacturing jobs on the other hand are paid for by products brought and sold. If the products don't sell then less workers are needed. Usually when products don't sell its because the product sucks or a bad economy where the demand for the product goes down.

Factories will shut down due to decrease in product demand causing unemployment rates to go up.
With education, especially k-12 there is only so much that can be cut, so taxes go up.

Lets see we are losing jobs because people are not buying the products we manufacture here, so do you want the government to buy and hand out 100,000 gadgets is that it?

Cash for clunkers wasn't that a government program meant to keep production jobs from being lost? I am trying to remember how you reacted to that program

So with all of those government type jobs, do the teachers, firemen, police officers buy things are manufactured? So if they buy 100,000 gadgets will that keep people working in the manufacturing fields?

I am just trying to understand supply and demand and how it works, you know like the chicken and the egg which came first supply or demand, what happens if their is no demand for a product?
 EarlzP
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Unemployment hits 10.2%
Posted: 11/18/2009 4:42:44 AM

If that is true it explains why Obama isnt doing much to try to decrease unemployment Rate in America it gets in the way of his Globalism aspirations,.,,,,Why not let Americans suffer and not have enough money for food or rent after all according to him America has so much so apologize for....Nice how Liberals always find a way to blame America for everything.....Large unemployment numbers are Better? WTF? people will believe anything as long as they can somehow blame America..

Here is what I find amazing:

That conservatives can rant and rave about any thing after supporting the republican party as they engaged us an in illegal war while the economy of the country slid into it's worst economic mess since the great depression. Your party the party of no created this mess and yet you still have the gall to attack and smear the liberal party.

Darn tomorrow it's going to rain= President Obama made the rain clouds, the conservative republicans should be kneeling at the feet at any one who would take on this mess left by their party
 flyguy51
Msg: 34
Unemployment hits 10.2%
Posted: 11/18/2009 9:03:48 AM

I seem to remember the same joke being made about George Bush. Looks like the shoe is on the other foot, now, huh?

That's "fair and balanced" for you...

It's just that Obama got fitted for said shoe much more quickly and undeservedly. At this point in Bush's presidency (Nov. 2001 for the memory impaired), the country was rallying behind Bush in an unprecedented bipartisan fashion. Bush didn't have to "wear the shoe" until people had REALLY BIG things to complain about. In fact, those big things are STILL haunting us. Good thing you have Obama (D) to shift the blame onto when you can't admit to Bush (R) being a poor president.
 hard starboard
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Unemployment hits 10.2%
Posted: 11/21/2009 3:04:57 PM
Here in Florida, where we elect Presidents, it's up to 11.2%.
 hard starboard
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Unemployment hits 10.2%
Posted: 11/23/2009 3:59:39 PM

So the only two conclusion that I could draw from it would be:
1: The best strategy for someone without a job is to move to Wyoming.
2: Its not Obama's fault.

Flawed conclusion. Since only half a million people live in Wyoming they had a lot less jobs to loose. If only a small percentage of the millions out of work moved to Wyoming, how long do you think it would take for it to go black?
The trend did start before Obama took office, but notice the rate of acceleration once he was elected and it became obvious that it was not going to be a business friendly environment.

Thanks for the map killene.
 EarlzP
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Unemployment hits 10.2%
Posted: 11/23/2009 4:45:52 PM

Nah none of its Obama's fault. Seems that the Obama unemployment rates are some of the highest in the last 50 years. But nah not Obama's fault, the unemployment has gone up around 4% since he became and is expected to go up another 1% more next year according to Obama and his administration.

I don't think it should take a rocket scientist to figure out that when unemployment benefits were paid for a longer period of time from 26 weeks to 99 weeks that the % of unemployed would reflect that increase

Ignoring facts does not change them, remove all of those from the unemployment number who have been unemployed for more then 26 weeks and the % comes down way down.

I love people who have the gall to critize and have no solution, what is your solution to unemployment
 EarlzP
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Unemployment hits 10.2%
Posted: 11/24/2009 2:08:09 AM

Taking people off the unemployment rolls does not change anything except give people in American a false pretense of what really is.

Guess it wouldn't be that new of an idea to have DC fudge the unemployment numbers, they already fudged the stimulus numbers.

Guess the only thing that has changed under President Obama's Administration is that they are more honest then previous administrations about reporting the numbers of americans unemployed

Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Unemployment hits 10.2%
Posted: 11/24/2009 3:10:31 AM

Guess the only thing that has changed under President Obama's Administration is that they are more honest then previous administrations about reporting the numbers of americans unemployed

I think the only thing that has changed under Obama's administration is his cult of followers blind devotion to him when he has clearly shown incompetence and a staunch willingness to continue politics as usual while during his campaign he promised anything and everything but that.

The administration changed the numbers because they got caught lying on their stats, nothing more, nothing less.
 EarlzP
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Unemployment hits 10.2%
Posted: 11/24/2009 3:23:48 AM

I think the only thing that has changed under Obama's administration is his cult of followers blind devotion to him when he has clearly shown incompetence and a staunch willingness to continue politics as usual while during his campaign he promised anything and everything but that.

Your entitled to your opinion you are not entitled to make personal attacks against other bloggers
is his cult of followers blind devotion to him

I do not blindly follow anyone and take personal offence at being included in any cult, I was suspended for 28 days for less then your personal attack on me

Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Unemployment hits 10.2%
Posted: 11/24/2009 3:50:35 AM
No personal attack intended, Earl. It is merely an observation, not necesarily of people on these forum, but in general.

Cult has several definitions, and I believe this one fits my use of the term:

a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.

I do not blindly follow anyone and take personal offence at being included in any cult, I was suspended for 28 days for less then your personal attack on me

You were not "included in any cult" a cult has several definitions other than what you are limiting it too. Again, it was not a personal attack, reread the post, apply the above definition. Example being, if I join the Rolling Stones fan club and we all meet somewhere and discuss the band in a positive light, argue that they can do no wrong (when obviously they have made many misteps), and generally accept no criticism of them as being valid, we are by definition a cult of followers.
 EarlzP
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Unemployment hits 10.2%
Posted: 11/24/2009 2:29:57 PM

Complaining that YOUR elected officials are doing EXACTLY what YOU pressured them to do is the height of hypocrisy...but by no means surprising.

Labeling other bloggers who may not share your opinion as hyprocrites is wrong, as you may know I was suspended from the Forums for doing less then that, let's try to maintain some degree of civility towards one another even though we may disagree

Now back to the subject and I can't help but wonder why some can't see that the President Obama administration is being held to a different standard as far as unemployment goes, by that I mean prior to his taking office unemployment benefits ran for 26 weeks meaning that after 26 weeks you could not draw any more then as if a magic wand had been waved those people who ran out of benefits were no longer counted as unemployed. Now since the President has extended benefits from 26 weeks to 99 weeks we see a different picture, I have not calculated it out yet but if you only count the people who have been drawing benefits for 26 weeks as unemployed I bet the percentage of unemployed would drop down to no more then 8.5%.

You do want to be fair don't you? You would not want to hold President Obama to a different measuring stick then other Presidents would you?

Now back to whether I believe that President Obama has taking the right action to turn our economy around, I think he has, he may need to increase stimulus spending and put some ear marks on where the money goes in order to ensure it is being used in the most advantageous manner

Mean time I think and it's just my opinion but critizing without offering any solutions is just talking to hear one's self talk, what do you think?
 hard starboard
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Unemployment hits 10.2%
Posted: 11/24/2009 3:12:34 PM

Now back to whether I believe that President Obama has taking the right action to turn our economy around, I think he has, he may need to increase stimulus spending and put some ear marks on where the money goes

But Obama can't do that. He has banned ear-marks...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28525113/
...and you just said yourself you thought he has taken the right action. Which is it?

One way to increase employment is to create a business friendly environment. But since Obama has spent the last year or more demonizing the business sector, and with the threat of more taxes and higher costs due to so-called health care reform and the bogus 'cap and trade’ legislation, is it any wonder businesses are afraid to hire?

http://exceptionmag.com/politics/advocacy/000819/obama-continuing-bush-anti-small-business-policies
 EarlzP
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Unemployment hits 10.2%
Posted: 11/24/2009 3:27:34 PM

But Obama can't do that. He has banned ear-marks...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28525113/
...and you just said yourself you thought he has taken the right action. Which is it?

"President"Obama put to much trust in those who were given access to stimulus money, ear marking would ensure that the money went to the projects that would employ the most people and give the biggest return on the dollar invested.

Which is it? You must be having a hard time understanding what I wrote so let me try again I said he took the right action with the stimulus and he may have to spend more to turn the economy around, so in response to your question "which is it" try "both"

One way to increase employment is to create a business friendly environment. But since Obama has spent the last year or more demonizing the business sector, and with the threat of more taxes and higher costs due to so-called health care reform and the bogus 'cap and trade’ legislation, is it any wonder businesses are afraid to hire?

A business friendly environment does that mean tax cuts? lets see President Reagan gave tax cuts, President Bush gave more tax cuts and here we are, business friendly? I think President Obama should take over a few more companies and place huge tariffs on companies that have moved their operations over seas, how would that be for friendly?
 hard starboard
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Unemployment hits 10.2%
Posted: 11/24/2009 3:42:24 PM

"President"Obama put to much trust in those who were given access to stimulus money

You wouldn’t be talking about ACORN, would you?

Before we go talking about another stimulus (one with ear-marks, I presume), shouldn’t they spend the first one first?
http://www.propublica.org/ion/stimulus/item/just-12-percent-of-stimulus-money-has-been-spent-805

I think President Obama should take over a few more companies and place huge tariffs on companies that have moved their operations over seas.

Riiiiiiiight roflmao! That should do the trick! I wonder what he’s waiting on.
 EarlzP
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Unemployment hits 10.2%
Posted: 11/24/2009 4:36:16 PM

You wouldn’t be talking about ACORN, would you?

Apparently you are suggesting that Acorn will be receiving stimulus money, is that correct?
http://www.factcheck.org/2009/02/the-stimulus-bill-and-acorn/

Before we go talking about another stimulus (one with ear-marks, I presume), shouldn’t they spend the first one first?
http://www.propublica.org/ion/stimulus/item/just-12-percent-of-stimulus-money-has-been-spent-805

It is time that the governor and other elected officials of each state apply for stimulus funds

I think President Obama should take over a few more companies and place huge tariffs on companies that have moved their operations over seas.

Riiiiiiiight roflmao! That should do the trick! I wonder what he’s waiting on.

Republican approval?
 hard starboard
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Unemployment hits 10.2%
Posted: 11/24/2009 4:44:46 PM

Republican approval?

Obama? Waiting on Republican approval? You're a real riot tonight, Earl!
Besides, the Republicans don't have the votes to stop any legislation.
 EarlzP
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Unemployment hits 10.2%
Posted: 11/24/2009 5:44:10 PM

Obama? Waiting on Republican approval? You're a real riot tonight, Earl!
Besides, the Republicans don't have the votes to stop any legislation.

What legislation are you referencing? The stimulus money is there and until it is requested and sent it will remain unspent, it's time that all of the rep's and governors from every state get into the act and apply for and use the money to create and save jobs
 EarlzP
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Unemployment hits 10.2%
Posted: 11/25/2009 4:30:32 AM
First the "money" is not there. Any money spent with be borrowed in the form more sales of U.S. Treasury notes.

I quess that explains why the stimulus is not working, right?

Odd you should bring up "requested". I recall the raking over the coals the previous administration took for the 3 days it took for the National Guard to be sent to New Orleans after Katrina. Funny how all those who critized it and still do to today never mention it took the governor of Louisanna 2 days to make the "request" for federal help. Her response when ask why she didn't make the request sooner, "I didn't know I had to do that."

Start a thread on New Orleans, Katrina and the governor of Louisana
 EarlzP
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Unemployment hits 10.2%
Posted: 11/25/2009 7:45:38 AM

Interesting comparison, espeacially when some in the media are seeing the Unemployment as Obama's Hurrican Katrina.

Some seem to be seeing the unemployment rate as one of Obama's downfall, like Katrina was GW's downfall.

Keep hoping and wishing and praying that the employment situation does not improve, I would bet that some unemployed americans are hoping that President Obama has made the right choices and some may even be able to figure out that these numbers would be much smaller if the same measuring stick was used that was used during the last administrations reign, I wonder what the numbers would look like if measured the same way during President Bush's administration I wonder if the numbers would not look like let's say 10 to 12 % unemployment under President Bush's administration. It's good to have a president that cares enough for those losing their jobs that he has extended benefits from 26 to 99 weeks, do you realize that the unemployment numbers now take into account people that are receiving benefits for 73 more weeks no wonder the number looks so high, I wonder how many people realize the difference, I do and so do many other americans, Do You?
 hard starboard
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Unemployment hits 10.2%
Posted: 11/25/2009 8:39:17 AM

do you realize that the unemployment numbers now take into account people that are receiving benefits for 73 more weeks
I would think the number would include anyone who was receiving unemployment benefits period. The actual figure would, of course, be much higher... people who's benefits have run out or never filed to begin with.

I wonder what the numbers would look like if measured the same way during President Bush's administration I wonder if the numbers would not look like let's say 10 to 12 % unemployment under President Bush's administration.

Are you suggesting unemployment was actually higher during the Bush administration than it is currently?
 flyguy51
Msg: 53
Unemployment hits 10.2%
Posted: 11/25/2009 12:16:53 PM
I'll take "Or do you complain about Obama for the sake of complaining about Obama" for 600, Alex.

"And you've hit... the Daily Double!"
 EarlzP
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Unemployment hits 10.2%
Posted: 11/25/2009 3:43:32 PM

I personally feel that what has been and is being suggested is making it worse. Damn I wish it would make it better, but I wouldn't bet my life on our economy getting better while Obama and the Democrats spend like they are doing.

All one has to do is look at the approval polls to realize that I'm probably not the only one thinking that way. Obama has fallen 26 pts in the overall approval polls.

Its looking like people are tired of the deficit and unemployment numbers going up up up.....

Lets try to real as hard as it may seem to be

1st Only according to you only 12% of the stimulus has been spent and most of that to save jobs and on shovel ready work

2nd I know that comparing apples to mushrooms works for some people but the facts can't be altered comparing the unemployment numbers from President Bush' administration to that of President Obama's adminstration is nothing more then pure distortion, During President Bush's time in office unemployment benefits only lasted 26 weeks that means whether people were unemployed or not they did not count after their benefits ran out,

President Obama realizing how bad things were extended unemployment for an addition 73 weeks that means we are getting a clearer less distorted more transparent look at what unemployment really looks like

3rd What we are seeing right now in our unemployment numbers is the result of a global economy, these lost jobs are not coming back, let me repeat myself these lost jobs are not coming back, President Obama inherited this mess and there is very little he or any one else can do to change what is going on. President Obama is right we need new technology to create jobs that can not be outsourced to other countries
 EarlzP
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Unemployment hits 10.2%
Posted: 11/26/2009 12:58:54 AM

Obama walked into the presidency with his eyes wide open....Just because he was not experienced enough to handle the job and criticism that comes with it don't blame it on others.

Thank the good lord we have a president who does not respond to every whimper and whine during these tough times

The presidency is not an apprenticeship job like Obama and the DNC seem to think it was or is.

A source for your statement or is it the newest latest talking point

Appears that the Obama approval polls seem to be the only thing going down in our country with the new Obama administration.
Cause right now our deficit and unemployment numbers at new highs for not only this century but the last one.

Thts' not true cause right now your reverting to distortion again
 EarlzP
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Unemployment hits 10.2%
Posted: 11/26/2009 10:11:37 AM

]Unemployment was just below 6% when Obama took office. It's now up to 10.2 % that's means unemployment has gone up 4.2% since Obama took office.
Guess it's only the highest unemployment rate since the Reagan years....which Regan's high was 10.8%.

The facts are January 2009 the unemployment rate based on 26 weeks of unemployment benefits were 7.2% Preseident Obma did not take off ice until the 9th of Jan 2009 I wonder what the rate would have looked like if it was based on 99 weeks.

You keep on trying to use a different measuring stick ignoring the facts of how the figures are calculated , some people are capable of seeing what your agenda is and as time goes by more will see the light

Unemployment was just below 6% when Obama took office. It's now up to 10.2 % that's means unemployment has gone up 4.2% since Obama took office.
Guess it's only the highest unemployment rate since the Reagan years....which Regan's high was 10.8%.

Again you choose to ignore the facts in order to promote your anti President any thing agenda. What would have President Reagans 10.8% unemployment rate looked like if it was based on 99 weeks instead of 26 weeks would it be 30% or 35%

Roll back the unemployment benefits pay out period to 26 weeks and President Obama is doing a pretty good job, and with nearly 88% of the stimulus monies unspent who knows how good it will get
 EarlzP
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Unemployment hits 10.2%
Posted: 11/27/2009 4:31:54 PM

Your argument is tired....you keep beating that drum about number of weeks, it is not relevant if it makes you feel better thats cool...but it doesnt change the reality Under Obama Unemployment has steadily increased and very few jobs have been created its sad to see the lengths that Obama supporters will go to support their Utopian delusions....I would love to see an Obama supporter one time in their lives argue the merits of the present policies or address the Present situation without referring to some previous Rebublican or other...Is that even Possible? NO Matter how you look at it close to 16,000,000 are unemployed...make up what ever crazy theories you want. unemployment rate has risen drastically during Obamas Presidency..

Look we can continue to argue who is and who is not responsible and the fact that we are where we are will still be the fact, nothing is going to get any better I do not care if a democrat,republican or independant is in office

We are in deep economic trouble and the reason is our jobs are disappearing, if you want to see where they have gone look at countries like China, India, Pakistan, Mexico ect .

We can not compete with countries where the average salary is ten times lower then what it is here, we can't compete with countries that do not have the regulatory requirements that we have, we can not compete with countries that subsidize their businesses so that they can break and take over our markets.

We are in an undeclared economic war and we are losing, we are bleeding jobs employment opertunites for our citizens, We need to unite, organize and go on the offensive if we are going to survive, we will have lots of time to argue politics later.

The government for whatever reason has embraced this global economy and we are suffering the consequences, I do not know if we can stop it but we can slow it down so that we can adjust without totally collapsing.

There is a movement where I live in New Jersey I see the signs on front lawns they read

OUTSOURCING

NOT WITH MY TAX DOLLARS

WE can get behind this movement, WE can pick a company that is outsourcing our work and then selling their foreign made products or services back to the USA, they are sending our jobs to foreign companies and then selling their products or services back to the USA this is killing our economy not only because of the job lost but also by sucking the dollars out of our economy

I will tell you what, I am retired drawing two pensions, social security and have two small businesses going, my medical is being supplied by the VA. I have one 31 year old daughter, she is a doctor with no financial worries, I do not need to be involved me and mine are secure but this is my country and I am not ready to sit back and watch as our economy is pillaged by foreign countries, I want to pass on the same opportunities to future generations that I enjoyed

HOW about YOU, Do you want to fight with me or fight the countries and companies that are draining our economy.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >