Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Condoning Atheism.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 101
Homosexual Rights and Marriage Continued..... Page 5 of 25    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25)

or which way the toilet paper roll should hang yet!!!

My Dad is an amputee, try grabbing TP off the roll with one hand when it comes out the bottom, it aint going to happen. Because of this I always hang it over the top as it is a lot easier that way with one hand and I got used to it that way.

Anyone who doesn't hang it over the top is discriminating against people with disabilities.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 102
view profile
History
I WAS WRONG.
Posted: 11/18/2009 5:37:45 PM

All our sexual ACTIVITY is chosen.

Thank you. I am glad someone can admit that.

You inadvertently answered my question because you believe that homosexuality is a life choice rather than biologically determined.

The portion you quoted, sexual activity is chosen, is correct, but sexual orientation is not, imo.
 Elmenreich
Msg: 103
view profile
History
I WAS WRONG.
Posted: 11/18/2009 7:40:07 PM
Since we're banning gay people from getting married since they can't have kids, shouldn't we ban the elderly from getting married?
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Closed mind and religious brainwashing vs science
Posted: 11/18/2009 11:07:25 PM

Zero chance my son will ever get ANY "vaccination."
He's never been "vaccinated" against anything and is healthier than most any other kid I've ever met his age -- and much brighter than all the autistic kids whose entire lives were ruined by "vaccines" that actually caused their condition.
Different U.S. States have different laws on the forced poisoning children. I read of a story in Oregon where the police came in and oversaw a forced "vaccination." Fortunately, I did not have to use force to protect my son from such a violent, unConstitutional intrusion. Where my son was born, refusal to inject a bunch of toxic junk into a baby's bloodstream is optional. Here in Michigan, you can claim exemption for religious beliefs for sure, which we've done. He is healthier than all the plague-injected vaccine monkeys around him, by order of magnitude.

Followed by (forgive me, conscious...):

He is denying his own children the vaccines from rubella, smallpox, polio, measles and meningitis. This is why it's dangerous to live in bigotry and religious brainwashing. Never mind hundreds of years of history. Never mind that some heavy diseases, such as smallpox, are now nearly extinct thanks to vaccines :

He never said he was against vaccines for religious reasons, merely that he used religion as a legal "out" to avoid them. Neither zealots nor ignoramuses represent those who adhere to religion, for the most part.

If atheism can prevent that level of indoctrination and the destruction of critical thinking, then I sure see it as positive. (Not that every believer is that brainwashed, quite the contrary. Yet I don't know how "open" his heart supposedly is, but we can see how closed his mind really is. It's quite sad, especially for the children.

Common sense can prevent that level of the destruction of critical thought! Atheism, like strict adherence to any religion, should be a conscious decision, made at a point in life where one is capable of doing so. It is the indoctrination of the very young into a distinct lifestyle that makes that lifestyle dangerous. Allowing for the fact that we ALL become capable of critical thought (unless we are locked up in the home our entire lives) I believe that exposure to some form of community based religion can be healthy, to the extent that it provide a sense of community & responsibility, and fosters a sense of belonging as well as respect, both for self & for others. Atheism doesn't CAUSE critical thought; the lack of critical thought allows one to be swayed by a level of zealousness, of any kind.

Atheism is nothing more than a word to most, a word that is used to provide fodder against the most bigoted of those who practice religion. I am fairly certain that there are as many hypocrites who don't believe in God as there hypocrites who do. Critical thought does not prevent one from their beliefs; choosing to/not to believe in God for many is simply as a matter of having been taught either, or a matter of convenience. Neither makes one more "thoughtful" than another. In reality, however, many seek to lie their lives in such a manner that their belief in God prevents them from self entitlement, affords them the responsibility of treating others with respect, and most certainly doesn't prevent critical thought. It is not unlikely that they would do so even with religion, so long as they had guidance and education. There is simply no relation between the absence of critical thought & a belief in a higher power. There are plenty of "thinkers" who believe, or at least can not disprove, the existence of a higher power. There are plenty of people who practice "faith" in their daily lives, without becoming nonthinking , bible toting, zealous bigots. Responsibility for one's actions, conclusions, or inaction, for the majority, lies within the individual, not the belief or disbelief in God. It is only when you use your view of God to justify actions that you prove yourself incapable of thought.

Were one to adhere to the thread title, of course close minded & religious brainwashing is not preferable to science, but the subject itself is inflammatory. You can have religion & not be close minded, just as you can shun religion & be obtuse. Arguments are borne of emotion & personal experience and are intended to sway; they often attract the most close minded of us all. Discussion, for those in possession of a capable mind, is meant to promote thought.
 Elmenreich
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2009 11:16:17 PM
Kids who don't get vaccinated become autistic at the same rate as kids who do get vaccinated. And they get exposed to whooping cough, diphtheria and the measles to boot.
 NappyKAT
Msg: 106
Posted: 11/19/2009 1:42:13 AM

Wow that was just so friggin cool how people on seemingly opposite sides of a debate can open their mind and move just a little to see another person's side of things and admit that maybe... just maybe have a little change in thought or attitude about said subject... while still holding onto some of their most basic and fundamental beliefs (which may change or time, stay the same, or budge a little to the left, right, or straightfoward depending on the various information entering their heads.)

Wish all discussions were like so.

So back to Zeitgeist - the most thrilling theory in that movie was that our gov may be responsible for..... nah. Maybe not ready for that yet. That's sure to get this thread closed!

Note I got from a mod - THIS IS NOT A FREE SPEECH SITE!

So no (what can appear to be) anti-americanisms!

I did the enjoy the part on Jesus tho.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Question for Torquoise Pixie (and anyone else)
Posted: 11/19/2009 1:18:02 PM

As soon as you helped me see the gross inequality in real terms rather than in "feeling" terms, the only option was as I stated.

I think this is like the separate but equal doctrine being shot down by the Supreme Court. Outside of the tangible things that caused you to view this differently, by requiring that people having the exact same relationship call it one thing and not another based on sexual orientation is inherently unequal and consequently does violate the Constitution's tenets.

Some people won't live with someone outside of the confines of marriage and in most states given common law statutes, there is no real legal distinction that cannot be acquired living with the person, it is the social and perhaps religious standing in the marriage that is important to them.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Question for Torquoise Pixie (and anyone else)
Posted: 11/19/2009 5:02:41 PM

First of all, I'd like to say that it is not only the Jehovahs Witness version of the Bible that is filled with rape, murder and violence but pretty much any version you can find (King James or whatever). God has always been depicted as vengeful, jealous, murderous entity in any of the Old Testament version I've read and given that religion's best ally into converting people is fear, well, that's not a surprise.

I don't think that was even at issue, but I certainly wouldn't want anyone focusing on those Bible stories when my kids weren't really big enough to think for themselves, etc. I don't think telling your child that it is okay for him/her to have opinions is either supporting or rejecting atheism.
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 109
Condoning Atheism.
Posted: 11/20/2009 5:35:00 AM

Now is condoning atheism a bad thing? Come on, are you serious? You're asking us if telling your child to use her brain, telling her to have the courage to not believe in what doesn't make any sense, is a bad thing?

Wow, the pressure from your entourage must be quite extreme to make you wonder about something like that. I'm sorry to hear that you live in a place with no freedoms. You should move to my country, here people are free to think what they will!

I agree using her brain is a good thing. I myself am not an atheist and do a lot of religious rituals on a daily basis, but i think this is good, her using her own brain.

I do live in a place with freedoms. My grandfather fought front lines for my freedoms, i am a proud American. I do not want to move anywhere else. Im sure annoying people exist in Canada as well.

Now on to toilet paper rolls, some say it should hang on top, some say it should hang from the bottom, but i have multiple brand of toilet paper rolls, given to me by different men, and i hang them either way. Dont judge me for it; your toilet paper donor aint around either so you aint nobody 2 talk about it.
A lot of men are wary to get involved withme because of the costsof toilet paper maintenance, it takes a REAL MAN!!!
All you pansies that wont date a woman with Tp, and bvtches that think you something special cuz your TP is all one brand, kiss my rear, kthxbai.
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 110
Back to the topic...? :-)
Posted: 11/20/2009 6:00:35 AM

are you mad?

You just now figured this out? BTW i am Sourness today Sweetness is my alter-ego.
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Back to the topic...? :-)
Posted: 11/20/2009 8:49:02 PM

CSoul, if you use MSN or Yahoo to chat, both have games that you can play online with someone you are chatting with...I've played chess with rustic (remember him) who lives in Australia...of course he kicked my butt but still it was fu

You can shoot pool on Yahoo!!!

Debate is soooo much better than argument!
 Tealwood
Msg: 112
Condoning Atheism.
Posted: 11/21/2009 3:49:13 PM
ConsciousSoul...like many other posts you deliver something that requires thought and insight that is refreshing...

Open heart... I enjoyed reading the posts and the dialogue between the two..

This has been one of the most enjoyable forums in a long time.
 Jeeep4Fun
Msg: 113
Condoning Atheism.
Posted: 11/24/2009 8:06:03 AM
First of all, I'd like to say (and to admit to some surprise) that these posters are a rather open-minded lot! Kudos to you all for not being harsh and judgemental, which is what I must admit that I'm used to on other forums.

The other thing I'd like to point out is that, if you take the word "atheist" and break it down to its original Latin roots, you get: "a" meaning "without" and "theism" meaning "religion". So many people make the mistake that atheist means "I don't believe in any god". It really means you don't believe in organized religion. The ones who don't believe in any god should call themselves "adeists".
 Sk3pt1c
Msg: 114
Condoning Atheism.
Posted: 12/6/2009 6:46:51 PM

The other thing I'd like to point out is that, if you take the word "atheist" and break it down to its original Latin roots, you get: "a" meaning "without" and "theism" meaning "religion". So many people make the mistake that atheist means "I don't believe in any god". It really means you don't believe in organized religion. The ones who don't believe in any god should call themselves "adeists".

a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.
Origin:
1565–75; < Gk áthe(os) godless + -ist
1. belief in the existence of a God on the evidence of reason and nature only, with rejection of supernatural revelation (distinguished from theism ).
2. belief in a God who created the world but has since remained indifferent to it.

So, Atheist is correct for someone who does not believe in any god whatsoever.

However, I like Christopher Hitchens take on it, he suggests using the term "Anti-theist" because it is proactive rather than the passive "Atheist" Basically it is the difference between saying "I don't believe there is a god of any kind" and the more assertive "I believe there is no god"

I would say I fall under the second one.
Good to see there are so many active non believers on this site!
I will probably spend the next several hrs reading posts, kudos everyone!
 mcalgary
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Condoning Atheism.
Posted: 12/7/2009 2:09:51 AM
I think it is important to teach or children about all religions and I include atheism as a religion even if it is actually "without" religion. There should be nothing wrong with this. When they are older and have been exposed to many different ones they can make up their own mind.
One note though. You can be an Intelligent Christian and read the old testament for what it is. Somewhat history lesson and somewhat legend stories.
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 116
Condoning Atheism.
Posted: 12/7/2009 3:10:46 AM
Wow she is starting to ask some intelleigent questions. Like if there is a god, why did he invent bugs? Why did we have a hurricane that flooded our house? Why are their drunk drivers?

Smart smart girl.
 susan_cd
Msg: 117
Condoning Atheism.
Posted: 2/10/2010 11:37:53 PM

Is condoing atheism really all that awful?

I'm sure the various churches think it is, they don't get their $$$ from atheists.

The best editorial cartoon I ever saw was one entitled "Headlines We Never See" & showed a drawing of a newspaper with the headline "Atheists bomb agnostics"
 freetime2bme
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Condoning Atheism.
Posted: 2/11/2010 4:04:36 AM
"the Tribulation "

The prophesized persecution of people that believe in god. How about the real persecution that atheist have to deal with every day. One is a real thing, one is a made up thing. Do you know which is which? I do. Atheist face real persecution every day, but the truth will win in the end and our number are growing fast as people become less fearful of the church and question the ridiculous beliefs held by so many. You have a right to believe in Noah's Ark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF9Xn5m2OGg (see link), the Tribulation and other stuff if you wish, but some of us will just laugh at those who do.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Condoning Atheism.
Posted: 2/11/2010 1:15:26 PM
You will not see and I will not see, we will be dead. Dead is dead. What you said sums up the christian think so well. Laughing if people would go to hell. Yes, even if there was a god I would not worship a god that would send people to hell for not believing in him/her/it. I hope you checked out the web link, it sums what a joke most of the bible is too.
 susan_cd
Msg: 120
Condoning Atheism.
Posted: 2/11/2010 3:33:48 PM
Religion in action :

church leader: We will :

1) tell you what you can & can't do

2) what you should & shouldn't think ( ie: what you should & shouldn't believe, facts be damned)

3) ( optional for some religions) if you transgress, you can't ask god for forgiveness; you have to ask us to intercede for you & get you god's forgiveness

&

4) how much $$$ to "donate" to the church each week

Then you'll get your reward after you die
 mcalgary
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Condoning Atheism.
Posted: 2/11/2010 8:09:44 PM
I have to say that after reading many of the above posts I just have to laugh a little.

You have some who look down on others who do not believe in god then others who go the other way and look down on those who do.

It is all up to the individuals involved to make up their own mind. It is not up to us to look down upon others as to what they believe. God will make his final judgement when the time comes and none of us have a right to belittle those who believe.

There is a reason that MOST of the worlds scientists are also of a faith, whatever that faith maybe and for those to make us feel like we are stupid for either following a religion or not to follow are both wrong.

As for saying you must believe in science only, that have always proven to be wrong as whatever is proven by one scientist is eventually dissproven by another. It may take centuries but as we as the human race learn more and evolve we learn new ways to look at things.

I choose to believe in Jesus Christ and do not look down on those who don't but do look down on those that choose the belittling of others to try and prove their point. (yes Sarah Palin in one of those but so are many of the anti religious people on here as well).

We live in a free thinking society so respect everyone and expose your children to as many different ways of thinking as you can so they can make up their OWN minds when they are old enough.
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Condoning Atheism.
Posted: 2/11/2010 8:39:25 PM
God bless you, Mcalgary!

Please keep in mind that organized religion is very different from theism.
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Toilet Paper Bigotry, Marriage Higher Levels and such
Posted: 2/11/2010 8:46:28 PM
I haven't followed this thread in its' entirety, but this caught my eye (and forgive me if I'm wrong openheart):

I'll inform Tiger Woods, Mariah Carey, the spirits of Mother Theresa and Ghandi, crack whores, drug-addicted gang bangers who murder for a living, and all serial killers. They'll be happy to know they are all equal.

Aren't you in the legal field?! Yes, they are all equal!
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Condoning Atheism.
Posted: 2/11/2010 11:22:18 PM
@msg 321:

in your pride, you gloat that others will suffer at the end while you do not. you violate the Word with your bickering. read your bible.

1 Peter 5:5
All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."

Colossians 3:12
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

2 Timothy 2:24
And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful.
 barefootkitten
Msg: 125
Toilet Paper Bigotry, Marriage Higher Levels and such
Posted: 2/11/2010 11:35:21 PM
Pick up a history book juicemomma if you think that the US doesn't have a history of invading other countries (ahem: IRAQ, just to name one). Or do you ACTUALLY believe there were WMDs there? Why do you think there are so many problems in Iraq today (and the US is STILL fighting there)? The US invaded because they wanted the oil, there have been millions of innocent Iraqis killed and then you wonder why they hate westerners?! Saddam was a huge problem, but it wasn't the US's problem to fix.

Shall we mention a few more: Vietnam, Afghanistan, Grenada, Panama....
Not to mention numerous covert operations to undermine elected governments in Guatemala, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Congo, Ecuador, Brazil (and many many more). Funny how the US talks about standing up for democracy yet has a LONG history of helping to overthrow ELECTED governments and setting up military dictatorships that kill their own people.

Educate yourself on history. The actions against Americans today are a DIRECT RESULT of the actions taken by the US in the past. The US has a history of invading other countries and killing innocents and you wonder why people from these countries would hate you? Hatred breeds hatred. Terrorist acts breed terrorist acts.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Condoning Atheism.