Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > He lied about his age...only by two years....should i be concerned?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DemonLeather
Msg: 230
He lied about his age...only by two years....should i be concerned?Page 20 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
Hey,..I'm honest enough to tell you, I lie about MY age,..To some people, it's a big deal, to others it's a number...If we go out and you like me, and I like you, I'll fess-up. I figure that if we're not going out, it's none of your business how old I am anyway. If it's a huge problem for you afterward, I'll apologize and be on my way never to darken your door again. Seems to be a double-standard about the age lyin' thing. I've seen women with stated ages of 35 who have GOT to be 65,(or spent the last 30 years in the sun 12 hrs a day with no UV block! ) Now,.. if you think that makes me a liar, read my profile. I get daily letters telling me they enjoyed my blunt honesty.(and a good laugh)
So there ya have it.. confessions of a dirty-nasty-biker True, I'm not as old as dirt,.. but I remember when it was patent-pending
 luvsa78209
Msg: 231
He lied about his age...only by two years....should i be concerned?
Posted: 11/20/2010 3:39:47 PM
Well, I find it interesting that women were the originators of the "lie about your age" phenomenon going waaaay back (decades or centuries). Now that men do it too, women are now the biggest complainers! Sheeesh!

Only two years! Don't lose sleep over it. If he is a great guy in all other ways, keep him! Women shave a lot more off and love to post photos of themselves from waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back!
 Sabrosura089
Msg: 232
Posted: 11/20/2010 7:21:39 PM
I've lost count on the men that have told me their real age (older) vs. what they have on their profile. Their reason: "I look and feel younger, and I'm trying to attract younger women."

I guess if we feel/look younger then our age we should all lie about our age.

Personally, it's not "the end of the world", but it makes one wonder what else are you willing to lie about................
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 233
Posted: 11/20/2010 7:28:32 PM
I would never lie about my age, don't get why people do...
I still go out with younger women though.... if they do the approaching!

Even with my age being true here, women as young as 21 have contacted me... what these age liars are overlooking is the fact that putting their age younger could make them be overlooked by the younger who seek older and creeps out the ones who don't want older but find out later!
 LaughterReigns
Msg: 234
Posted: 11/20/2010 11:46:18 PM
I could care less if a person lies about their age. I suppose they don't want to rule out certain age groups. I've met a few men who lied about their age, and it didn't bother me in the least. I've also met men that said they were 5'11" and they were actually about 5'9". That's a lie also. Should I then not see him because "he's a liar?" What about the "few extra pounds" and they look like they ate another human being? To me, those are basically "white lies," and I don't assume just because a person lied about their age, height or weight automatically means they're a liar. There are a lot of liars who tell the truth about their age, height and weight; it doesn't make them any less a liar. If a person seems sincere in every other aspect, I honestly don't care if they lie about their age. In this society, and the standards that people place on age and such, it's not surprising some people fudge those things. For me, it's not a deal breaker.
 BrownSkinLady81
Msg: 235
Posted: 12/6/2011 5:35:51 AM
listen to your gut! i made the mistake and didn't! wasted a month!
 Monica417
Msg: 236
Posted: 12/6/2011 9:06:04 AM
He didn't really lie to you, he lied when he signed up on the site and when you asked him how old he will be, he gave you the honest answer. I don't see a problem here and if I were in your situation, I would have probably just laughed with him about it. '

Now, I only have real experience with one man, and he was a habitual liar...if you notice him lying about other things, THEN take a hike, otherwise, I think he's okay. Good luck!
 Monica417
Msg: 237
Posted: 12/6/2011 9:12:09 AM
Paddy wrote: The last time I lied about my age was when I was underage and trying to get served in a bar. Maybe I should start lying about my age to start getting the seniors discount.....really!

I agree! Haven't lied about my age since I was underage, boy did I do a lot of lying about it then! lol and, getting a seniors discount would be AWESOME!
 jt guy
Msg: 238
Posted: 12/6/2011 11:37:28 AM
People lie to benifit themselves and don't consider others. It is called respect and if you don't have truth and respect in a relationship it will not work long.
I have meet a number of women who have lied about their age or not smoking. I never date them again, because if I can't trust them with small answers I could never trust them with big answers, for example...are you cheating on me?
 lostincali159
Msg: 239
Posted: 12/6/2011 4:30:13 PM
Yes it is acceptable, in fact encourage it. Pick at least 3 things on your profile and mix it up. Never post the entire truth. It is a major security issue. EXAMPLE why the hell would you tell someone your age, where you live, pictures of your children, the picture of the car you took with the lic plate number for millions of crazy people to see and track you down. Woman on POF are just as sick as men, so far I have blocked 106 woman who where clearly running low on medication.
 infennario
Msg: 240
Posted: 12/6/2011 4:48:40 PM

Yes it is acceptable, in fact encourage it. Pick at least 3 things on your profile and mix it up. Never post the entire truth. It is a major security issue. EXAMPLE why the hell would you tell someone your age, where you live, pictures of your children, the picture of the car you took with the lic plate number for millions of crazy people to see and track you down. Woman on POF are just as sick as men, so far I have blocked 106 woman who where clearly running low on medication.

Huh! Good point... Location and profession alone could make it very easy to locate someone.
 Paderic
Msg: 241
Posted: 12/6/2011 5:02:48 PM
I'm sorry, but age combined with city and profession is not enough information to track someone down. Unless you live in a very small town, in which case a picture would be enough.

I'm not buying it. If that were someone's motive, they wouldn't always subtract years from their age. Some of the time they would say they are older than their real age.

As I've said in the other thread on this topic, I view it as a deliberate attempt to deceive and I will react accordingly when/if I find out.
 statemachine500
Msg: 242
Posted: 12/6/2011 6:29:26 PM
No real concern,it appears many people lie about age,or post old pics.I don't give any actually valid data about age to the data bank,it's offset a little to nullify any breach of security.
 gingerchick30
Msg: 243
Posted: 12/6/2011 9:06:54 PM
Do you really want to start off a relationship with a lie?? Right off the bat you already don't trust him, so to me that just sets a bad precedent. JMHO
 platypus_man
Msg: 244
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2011 2:02:39 AM
I did this once in order to be able to write to someone I knew in high school, who had set her email limits below our actual age. The only way I could contact her was to sign up with the wrong age. But once I did, it was stuck that way. Basically all you can do, is to state right at the beginning of your profile why you did it and hope for the best.
 DSMTraveler
Msg: 245
Posted: 12/7/2011 6:23:40 AM
He lied; not a good way to start a relationship.
On the other hand, you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet anyway.

But I did get a laugh out of his reason - to be matched up with women with 'less baggage'. It's not about how much baggage someone has, it's more to do with how they pack it.

I'd be concerned with his comment that "lots' of people lie...". To me that seems like an excuse for future lies.
 infennario
Msg: 246
Posted: 12/7/2011 11:52:31 AM

I'm sorry, but age combined with city and profession is not enough information to track someone down. Unless you live in a very small town, in which case a picture would be enough.

It can be for some professions, especially those where there are public listings of all of the individuals licensed in that state (such as doctors and lawyers) with business addresses, and often links to websites, all included in the listings. Sure, not true for some professions. But true for others.
 classygent6
Msg: 247
Posted: 12/7/2011 1:30:00 PM
skype.com is the answer to all the lying. It is free, you have to have a camera and a microphone. Before the first meet, Say "Meet me on Skype and let me see you before we both waste time. If they won't do that, then they are hiding something.

Phil Clark in Rutherfordton, NC said that.
 Cat_33
Msg: 248
Posted: 1/22/2012 2:50:34 PM
I met someone on here about two months ago. I talked to him for one month before meeting him. He told me he's 38, and one day I opened his wallet while he was out of the room and saw that his birthdate is two years earlier than he said. So he's really 40. I google'd him later and saw that everything else adds up as he said (so far). I want to confront him about this, but what do I say - "hey, I invaded your wallet to see if you were lying about anything, and why did you lie about 2 freakin' years?"

Any advice? I don't like starting this off with a little lie like this.
 cosmicgem1
Msg: 249
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2012 3:30:49 PM
You posted. Why? You stated you would not break up with him for it. Why post at all if your decision is made and you don't plan on listening? Your heart wants it to be Ok. Your Head and instincts Know it isn't. If he lies about little stupid stuff, he will lie about big ;ajor stuff. Will it be harder to cut him loose NOW? Or LATER??? Or lose yourself and selfesteem to someone who only Pretends to value you. If He Really did, he would been honest Period.
 True_Gem
Msg: 250
Posted: 1/22/2012 11:56:02 PM
I have received messages from men who've written me and when looking at some of their profiles it says a certain age at the top but when scrolling down to the bottom it says my real age is so and so.

I don't understand how when someone signs up for a dating site that they don't know when they were born? lol I can understand getting someone elses birthday mixed up but your own? Come on really?

When I ask them about it they say "ohh I made a mistake when I created my profile and the system only allows you to change information within 2 weeks"...well perhaps you should have known your birthday in the first place? lol I've also heard "ohh I signed up on this site a few years ago and it still has my old age"...well as far as I know the system updates your age automatically whether you come on once in a while or frequently. Then I get those that say "ohhh I put a younger age because in my area the system was only matching me up with 50-60 yr old women so I had to put a younger age so that I could get younger women such as yourself" The search tool allows you to choose the age catagory you want to search for.

I've seen people lie about their age, height, weight, appearance, preferances, kids, . I don't understand why people do it as it will be found out in the end and how is that any way to start a meaningful relationship in the first place?

A lie is a lie, even if you confess afterwards it's still considered a lie. I wish people would be more honest with themselves and other people. If your gonna lie about something so small and insignificant then what's to stop you from lying about other things?

Think about it....I would tread carefully and keep my eyes open and keep my ears on alert. I hope your guy will be honest about things with you from here on .
 legnakrad
Msg: 251
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2012 5:07:18 AM
A lie, no matter how small is a lie and if someone can get away with it once they'll do it again.
 hike-n-bike
Msg: 252
Posted: 1/27/2012 9:12:57 AM
Try 10 years!

My experience here has taught me that if they lie about one thing, it's just a matter of time before you find out they lied about other things. A lie is a lie. . . And the play book "lines" they provide after being exposed are just as ridiculous and insulting of one's intelligence. so, since sooooooooooo many seem to have "system issues" with the age section, why not delete the profile and create another one ? ? ? ? What a concept . . .

And then people wonder what happened to trust and honesty . . . .

Happy trolling . . .
 browneyesboo
Msg: 253
Posted: 1/27/2012 9:24:07 AM
I met someone on here about two months ago. I talked to him for one month before meeting him. He told me he's 38, and one day I opened his wallet while he was out of the room and saw that his birthdate is two years earlier than he said. So he's really 40. I google'd him later and saw that everything else adds up as he said (so far). I want to confront him about this, but what do I say - "hey, I invaded your wallet to see if you were lying about anything, and why did you lie about 2 freakin' years?"

I don't see the point in lying about one's age. You've known him two months.
You opened his wallet while he was out of the room? How would you feel if he
rummaged through your purse while you were out of the room?

Has nothing to do with not having anything to hide. Has everything to do with
personal space, privacy and boundaries.

Wow, just wow.
 ixtlan09
Msg: 254
Posted: 1/27/2012 4:50:10 PM
Lots of murderers lie, saying they weren't the one who killed the person. Many rapists lie, saying the victim wanted it.

Since they do it, I guess that makes it okay for the rest of us, too.

Be concerned. Be very concerned. In fact, walk away now before you even more emotionally invested in the man.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > He lied about his age...only by two years....should i be concerned?