Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > He lied about his age...only by two years....should i be concerned?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 201
Yeah, we should all be concerned........Page 9 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
I don't care how big or small the lie or in which direction.....I won't be with a LIAR. Communication and trust are the most important things in a relationship....if you can't communicate honestly you can't have trust.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 202
Yeah, we should all be concerned........
Posted: 7/10/2010 6:42:04 PM
^^^^^^^So when your significant other asks you if this outfit make me look fat make sure you tell her the truth every time.... I am sure she will appreciate it. Just make sure your medical insurance is paid up ahead of time and you have a good lawyer
 english lass
Msg: 203
He lied about his age...only by two years....should i be concerned?
Posted: 7/10/2010 6:57:05 PM
he rationalized lying instead of taking responsibility for making an excuse; "everyone does it" does not make it right... something he should know at 'his age' (whichever one he owns up to)
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 204
Posted: 7/11/2010 12:28:39 PM

So when your significant other asks you if this outfit make me look fat make sure you tell her the truth every time.... I am sure she will appreciate it. Just make sure your medical insurance is paid up ahead of time and you have a good lawyer

Um...yeah, I DO tell her if it looks bad! Yes, I have said you look fatter in that....It's called honesty! If you don't think you'll like the answer....don't ask the question!

What I think is funny is when they come out of the dressing room in the next outfit and think I'm "Just saying that!" when I think it looks hot....Um, wasn't my LAST response PROOF that I'm telling you my truth?
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 205
Posted: 7/11/2010 12:39:13 PM

Um...yeah, I DO tell her if it looks bad! Yes, I have said you look fatter in that....It's called honesty! If you don't think you'll like the answer....don't ask the question!

What I think is funny is when they come out of the dressing room in the next outfit and think I'm "Just saying that!" when I think it looks hot....Um, wasn't my LAST response PROOF that I'm telling you my truth?

yes, total honesty..

when she asks : "do these pants make my ass look fat?"

answer: "no, your fat ass makes the pants look fat'

muthski is one of the oldest-looking "45- year-olds" I've ever seen, with the possible exception of Keith Richards.
 UnfetteredSpirit
Msg: 206
Posted: 8/29/2010 10:22:28 AM
Lying about your age tells me two things right off the bat. One, you are insecure about yourself. Two, you are willing to lie to get what you want. Neither of these are qualities I am looking for in a partner....
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 207
Posted: 8/29/2010 1:14:25 PM

Lying about your age tells me two things right off the bat. One, you are insecure about yourself. Two, you are willing to lie to get what you want. Neither of these are qualities I am looking for in a partner....

Sing it sister!
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 208
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2010 2:13:44 PM

What differance does it really make?
It shows a lack of substance in their persona. People lie for a reason, that's to make themselves either more desireable, or to get them out of trouble... since we can rule out staying out of trouble in this instance, it would be for desireability.

I would never consider someone younger than myself as a potential partner. So two years makes the difference of what I find acceptable, and what I find unacceptable and I would be irked if someone lied about their age to circumvent the site filters... which btw, isn't that against the rules of this site?
 NiceandEdgy
Msg: 209
Posted: 8/29/2010 2:22:03 PM
If one lies about the small they will lie about the big... proceed with caution.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 210
Posted: 8/29/2010 3:40:24 PM
If he said he was 8" and was 6" I could see the concern. But 39 versus 41??? Who friggin cares

Wow 19 pages and resurrected again. I wonder how many pages a thread on a two inch descrepancy would get. By the time this thread is done the man in the OP's post may be in his 50's posing as a 40 something.
 whytwater
Msg: 211
Posted: 8/29/2010 3:58:04 PM

two years makes the difference of what I find acceptable

I suck at lying, bluffing, just can't keep the stone face for it, so I quit trying decades ago, but-
If a person at 40 fudges by 2, he/she is 95% accurate, and that's more than good enough for whytwater, and government, work. If anybody, about anything, can vocalize a picture to another that is 95% accurate, it's a marvel.
The only time 2 years would make a difference to me would probably be in Arkansas, if she claimed to be 17 rather than 15, cuz 16 is now the age of consent in that state. Lol (They raised it from 14 just last year).
A year is a man-made measure, like the day of the week, and that's ALL it is- one imperfect way to measure time so that people can show up to meet at close to the same moment time, or watch a program on tv that they want to see. It doesn't measure development of any individual, their health, knowledge, physique, skills, sexyness, or anything else that makes someone attractive, or not.
I agree with Cowboy's post.

If one lies about the small they will lie about the big... proceed with caution.

That would be about the 20th expression of that same thought, in this thread, but it reminds me of a great scene in Little Big Man. Dustin Hoffman is walking his grandfather up a big hill to die at the top, and along the way, the old guy (Chief Dan George) talks about how he knows that Snake Woman, one of his wives, copulates with horses. She denies that, to the Chief, but as he says, "She's lying, of course." (btw, the Chief never dumped her for that, lol, and that whole movie is packed with great lines).
The posts on this topic, especially the ones that consider a 2-year (5%) misstatement to be a matter of larger, even weighty and grave, consequence, divulge much about the poster, and whether they themselves are "mateable", imho.
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 212
Posted: 8/29/2010 4:48:17 PM
I guess character matters more to some than others!

Some are only concerned about WHAT someone lies about or the degree they lie.... I only care THAT they lie in the first place...as I've said if the little lie is no big deal then why lie about it?

Oh, yeah there go the insecurity and trust red flags!
 leanco
Msg: 213
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2010 1:46:38 AM

I guess character matters more to some than others!

Some are only concerned about WHAT someone lies about or the degree they lie.... I only care THAT they lie in the first place...as I've said if the little lie is no big deal then why lie about it?

Oh, yeah there go the insecurity and trust red flags!

Yeah I agree.

Also, seems to me that lying by a "couple of years" is most prevalent for those who've just entered a new decade in age, and they have trouble accepting that their real age has now put them "offside". Just like the guy the OP met, he doesn't want to get match up with women older than him, but he has no problem lying a little to circumvent the filter that other (younger) women have set which specifically filters guys like him out. It shows a lack of respect; a lack of respect for someone else's preference no matter how seemingly unreasonable it may appear to you.

I don't mind if someone is 2 years outside of my preference, I do mind if they lie about it.

1234deleted1234
Msg: 214
Posted: 8/30/2010 1:47:03 AM

"The posts on this topic, especially the ones that consider a 2-year (5%) misstatement to be a matter of larger, even weighty and grave, consequence, divulge much about the poster, and whether they themselves are "mateable", imho."

I agree. They are looking for perfect and will not find it.

Yet all of us here are just as single...... So even with the lower standard you're still looking.
 RealisticRomantic
Msg: 215
Posted: 8/30/2010 4:08:07 AM
Then there are those who take the attitude: "I was born in 1940. That makes me 39 like Jack Benny. You will proclaim it from the top of the tallest tree or you are garbage. Anybody who dares to contradict me is to be punished harshly for lying. See to it."

Somehow, that doesn't bother me. If someone decides to stake every fiber of their being upon forcing something into fact, then it is fact.
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 216
Posted: 8/30/2010 4:27:20 AM

Then there are those who take the attitude: "I was born in 1940. That makes me 39 like Jack Benny. You will proclaim it from the top of the tallest tree or you are garbage. Anybody who dares to contradict me is to be punished harshly for lying. See to it."

Somehow, that doesn't bother me. If someone decides to stake every fiber of their being upon forcing something into fact, then it is fact.

One more time in English please.
 RealisticRomantic
Msg: 217
Posted: 8/30/2010 4:36:53 AM
It's like this... if someone from Maine moves to Texas and says "I am a Texan. If you say otherwise, I'm prepared to shoot you where you stand for being a low down Yankee liar." I can respect that. As far as I am concerned, he IS a Texan.
 JRodriguez81
Msg: 218
Posted: 8/30/2010 7:44:13 AM
I met a woman awhile back on here, that lied about her smoking, and her age.

She stated she was younger than 41....I believe she said 38 or so as well...and then she stated in her profile that she didnt smoke, but came to find out that she did.

I was more concerned with the fact that she feels the need to lie, than the contents of the lies themselves. If you need to lie, then that is a character flaw to me, and someone to avoid. You have self-esteem issues, and I dont want to deal with it.

A sure person, does not need to lie about trivial nonsense.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 219
Posted: 8/30/2010 8:06:15 AM
Last time I checked going on a date was neither a job interview ( in which case many people conceal some truths, exaggerated their qualifications and sometimes lie to put themsieves in the best position to get the job ) or a day in court. The movie Liar Liar was a funny reminder of how many little lies are told by most of us in our everyday lives. Ever notice how Lawyer and Liar sound the same with a Newfie's accent they may be onto something there. Yeeeess Bye!
 GotAHubCapDiamondStarHalo
Msg: 220
Posted: 8/30/2010 8:07:08 AM

I broke up with a guy who lied about his "height" by two inches (not talking about standing up)!
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 221
Posted: 8/30/2010 8:35:43 AM
^^^ reminds me of the signs on the good rides and the county fairs. You must be at least this tall....
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 222
Liars say it's no big deal ?
Posted: 8/30/2010 8:57:29 AM

I get the STRONG feeling, that all those who are saying "it's no big deal" are saying that becaus e THEY THEMSELVES are LYING about their OWN age(s), on here..

You have got to be kidding why would people lie about their age especially if they were just here for the forums. The last time I lied about my age was when I was underage and trying to get served in a bar. Maybe I should start lying about my age to start getting the seniors discount.....really!
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 223
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2010 9:11:28 AM

You have got to be kidding why would people lie about their age especially if they were just here for the forums.
I agree with you completely... my bet is that they're simply trolling and don't want anyone that might live in close proximity to them to guess who they are since they have taken pains to hide their identity.

The last time I lied about my age was when I was underage and trying to get served in a bar.
Yup... I remember the good old days too.
 forums1
Msg: 224
Posted: 9/1/2010 2:34:45 PM

The last time I lied about my age was when I was underage and trying to get served in a bar.

Ditto. Just not something I feel any need to lie about once I was legal drinking age.
 Taylors13
Msg: 225
Posted: 9/8/2010 7:42:10 PM
A lot of people lie because some people assume things about age. Some women I have met are OLD at 30. Some are young at 50. Some women will not give you a chance because of age. Women are renowned for lying about it. I wouldn't fret too much unless other things pop up. Most women know if they get through about 9 hours of hearing a man tell you what he wants you to think of him, it will start coming out for real.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > He lied about his age...only by two years....should i be concerned?