Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FL CO
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Strange hobbies/collectionsPage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
How long ago did you get your FFL? From my understanding its hard to do now, and they want you to have a storefront and other stuff to show that its a business. Also whats the cost on the manufacturing license if you don't mind me asking? I like the the supershorty shotgun, but the price is way to high for what it is. Its taxstamp is only $5 under the AOW, but the gun itself shouldn't be more than $400 for what it is.
 m14shooter
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Strange hobbies/collections
Posted: 11/9/2009 10:49:45 PM

years ago i knew and hung out with a class 3 collector..talk about fun......he had.lets see.....a schmiser...an m-3...a thompson....a sten and a ghwer 44

in the big stuff he had a 1919...a maxim.....an mg 34 and an mg42.......but the most fun was a 45-70 gatling.............he talked about getting a ma-duece.....but passed away before he realised that dream

I remember when I bought some mg-42's new in box and complained about the 3K price tag, they go for 35K now. .50's are fun but they aren't cheap to feed anymore. It costs a couple grand a minute to run the minigun now.
 m14shooter
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2009 11:15:40 PM

How long ago did you get your FFL? From my understanding its hard to do now, and they want you to have a storefront and other stuff to show that its a business. Also whats the cost on the manufacturing license if you don't mind me asking? I like the the supershorty shotgun, but the price is way to high for what it is. Its taxstamp is only $5 under the AOW, but the gun itself shouldn't be more than $400 for what it is.

Quite a while ago, got tired of the $200 transfer fee. You can still get them easily out of your house by saying you do online sales at gun broker. You better be selling if you tell them you are doing online sales. They will yank your license if you are not selling but collecting. Dealing with inspections is a hassle now as they are getting anal about everything, people have lost a license one day for writing AZ on a 4473 instead of Arizona and the next day it is ok again.

License costs and they have changed some things since I got mine.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/fflc/ffl/ffl_types.htm
 m14shooter
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2009 11:20:35 PM

Yeah, ATF is roughly 6 month wait currently.

There are trust transfers that are done in 60 days. They assign a examiner by your name and some of them really suck and some are good. It really is up to the examiner how fast they get done.
 JWG86
Msg: 34
Posted: 11/10/2009 4:02:11 AM
That reminds me. I used to collect cologne. I am just now reaching the end of my collection from highschool--5 years later.
 FL CO
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2009 7:04:29 AM
^^^I've got a small collection of the old Avon cologne bottles that were shaped like cars. Never actually used any of it, just interesting cologne bottles. I do have some though that are full or half full.
 yna6
Msg: 36
Posted: 11/10/2009 7:45:50 AM
A lot of people collect the Avon bottles...whatever shape they are.
I've known some who collect fish tanks and raise the tropical fish.
Stamps....from all over the world. Some specialize in one certain area...such as Newfoundland Stamps. I did get hold of a penny black...but the cancellation on it was very heavy.
I'd like to take a shot at Roman and Greek coins....nothing fancy, but just or the fun of it.
 texasbaby
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2009 9:08:05 AM
It's interesting what appeals to different people, some collections are so strange. You see them on TV sometimes, the entire house is filled, the collection has become the decorating theme.
I collect old pottery, the oldest I own are 3 small pre-columbian pieces. But, mostly I have Mexican pottery from about 1920 to the 60s.
I also collect antique and vintage photos and western memorabilia. Fun stuff to look at,, dusting all of it sucks.

tb
 yna6
Msg: 39
Posted: 11/10/2009 6:50:53 PM
windchimes...I wanted to make a set of "redneck" windchimes out of empty beer cans...but a few people simply don't appreciate the artistic merits of a well crafted beer can. Some people huh? No poetry in their soul.....
 afixerupper
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2009 7:06:18 PM
I uesd to have an extensive collection of vintage marbles, but had to sell them off bit by bit when I got sick. Turned out fortuitous timing, just after they had peaked in value, but before they crashed. I got out just shy of the top. I only have a handful of my best of the best favorites, and a colorful jar of "colorful marbles" left. I used to have thousands.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 41
Posted: 11/10/2009 8:45:15 PM

I actually have two friends who collect kaleidoscopes(The VERY expensive ones)!

Mine are the artist-made type, probably like what your friends collect. I have about 18 so far. I try to buy designs or materials that are different from the other ones I've already collected. I buy them when I go on vacation, hunting for the rare shops that sell them - usually fine-craft galleries, like Appalachian Spring in the DC area.
 MsMicki
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2009 5:02:39 AM
Nutcrackers!!!
and it's that time of year to get them all out again!
 Ezzee
Msg: 44
Posted: 11/29/2009 8:13:13 PM

Then I started collecting children and grandchildren.
So far I am up to 7 kids and 8 grandchildren, lol

I'm guessing they are your own? Or do you randomly find them on the street and claim them as yours?

Anyway, I started a collection of rejection letters for jobs. You know, send in your resume' and cover letter, and just wait until you receive the rejection letter. Had a nice little stack of them. From companies and organizations all over the place. They probably aren't worth a lot, and they are kind of depressing but oh well, gotta collect something.
 Karl the Hermit
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2009 10:04:49 PM
LOL! I actually collect strange hobbies! How about that?

From the top! Period fencing, knife-throwing, making chainmaille stuff and... my latest... vaping!

rosebuds57
Msg: 48
Posted: 11/30/2009 9:03:57 PM
I used to collect frogs. Ceramic, fabric, pottery, jewelry, etc. Just frogs. It started with the adage: You have to kiss a lot of frogs to find your prince. Well, from there it just seemed natural.
 LinuxD
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2009 9:26:35 PM
I collect old computers ,hardware,software not that unusual,but i try to restore it all back to the way it was intended to be for the most part.. once in a while i score a neat find like a 286 motherboard still in the box sealed ...I know there is a ton of it on ebay but i like looking at junk sales and chasing down tips iI get from friends.. who keep me in mostly old pc parts and the more common place ones I re use into machines i upgrade and give away to families that cannot afford to buy one. may not be the best but it still functions and is useful. Also collect old electrical devices and ephemera. Old magazines and technical manuals.. 3 of my favorite books are books on the Titanic written a year or so after it sank.. Wow.. almost 100 years ago.
 sammylg
Msg: 51
Posted: 12/1/2009 6:05:57 PM
Insects when I was a kid...not weird in and of itself, but I am deathly afraid of bugs now....

So, just T-shirts wherever I go.
 softy63
Msg: 52
Posted: 9/20/2010 6:07:19 PM

LOL do ex wives count? only two and I don`t want to add more.

Too funny!

I have a collection of egg timers.......the ones with sand in them.
When I was a kid I used to line them all up, turn them upside down and watch the "sand races".
 BLUEMISS
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2010 8:50:09 PM
I used to collect frogs, but got bored with it.I now collect beanie babies, anything chinese[ I have a lot of chinese art...especially silk tapestrie's, and I have the 12 chinese zodiak beanie babies]and angels.
Just recently I have noticed I am leaning alot to wooden and interesting boxes, clocks, and mirrors.
Can't really say that my collecting is strange, but it is interesting and fun to seek out new collectables.
 JRodriguez81
Msg: 54
Posted: 9/20/2010 8:53:38 PM

I create historically accurate armour, then fight other people in historically accurate armour, with historically accurate weapons.

Do you really? Thats totally badass. Do you guys really go for it? (well, within normal means....not flat out hurting eachother)
 JRodriguez81
Msg: 56
Posted: 9/21/2010 10:13:57 PM
Do any of you collect stamps? Ive been on a mission....a quest to find a real human being, outside of movies, that actually collects stamps.
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 57
Posted: 9/21/2010 11:48:32 PM
I don't really collect things but I enjoy archeology and I look for Native American tools, etc. on land I have and in other areas. I collected river rock type rocks- loads of them, and used them to trim out a patio I built on the land.
I love books and when I come across a first edition of one I really like, I add it to my library. I also have a lot of music.
 *Wild at Heart*
Msg: 58
Posted: 9/22/2010 3:13:54 PM
Beachglass and pottery shards that have been washed up on the beach, some of the pieces are over 100yrs old. Alot of my pieces of beachglass are as smooth as jellybeans and date back into the 1800's. There's a place I frequent quite a bit on Lake Erie and apparently there were over 300 ship wrecks that happened in the surrounding area, so who knows, some of the pieces of pottery or glass could of come off of one of the ships. Just for your info, it takes anywhere's up to 50 yrs to get a perfectly polished piece of glass, so there's alot of history behing these pieces if your willing to do the research. The glass is becoming alot more rarer as people have turned to plastic.
I work with driftwood but I also have quite an interesting collection of really neat pieces that I wouldn't part with!
 softy63
Msg: 59
Posted: 9/22/2010 4:39:05 PM
That sounds really interesting!! I might start doing the same thing.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 60
Posted: 9/23/2010 10:02:07 PM
I have a full cultural / tourist / reference of Russian / Soviet books, antiques and souvenirs.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >