Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 where4
Msg: 61
Strange hobbies/collectionsPage 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I think this is classic OCD but I have been collecting my cats' whiskers for a while now. Yeah, yeah, strange, I know. Except for the plain white whiskers they're all colored/striated a little differently, and are different lengths. I consider the few all-black ones a real find since among my own cats they're rare. The gradual tapering shape of the whisker is very graceful to look at. The tactile quality is nice, too, with one stiff bristle end tapering out to softness. Hey, the whole collection takes up very little space! I keep thinking I'll make some artwork with some of them.

Back before classic blue and white china become highly fashionable (again) I started collecting it. When I got married I bought some in Germany, at a factory seconds sale. I have way too much now, all different patterns, different qualities. I enjoy serving a dinner with each guest's dinner setting being of a different blue and white pattern. I will be unloading some of this before I move soon. I like heavy grey and blue crockery, too, like some stuff I started collecting in Germany. I've been able to collect these fairly common items from all over without spending much money. They make for a classic somewhat rustic domestic appeal - in my mind, at least. Oh, and I got hold of a variety of toile-de-jouy domestic fabrics when it was in vogue, too, not too many years ago. The trendies have moved on, but I still treasure these classics and will continue to. I got a kick out of the Kristin Chenowith character, Olive, on the short-lived tv series, "Pushing Daisies" having her bedroom way overdone in blue and white toile-de-jouy - wallpaper, lampshades, bedspead, pillows, EVERYTHING!

These domestic items carry a sense of history for me when I look at them. As global trade grew and populations migrated through the centuries different cultures adopted, adapted, and treasured the blue and white china and fabric designs. Even our word for the dishes - "china" - is indicative of the history of global trade. "Toile" (short for toile-de-jouy) and "denim" entered the English language in the same way. I enjoy thinking about cultural history and the evolution of language when I admire the objects.

Oh, and I do still keep a few pewter/tin/zinn pieces in my home!

I also have a collection of brilliantly colored spools of thread. The silk is especially beautiful. I have lots of buttons, too. When appropriate I take from the collection to sew something practical. I got rid of most of my fabric yardage since it took up too much space. I haven't sewn my own clothes for a long time now, although I may yet again.

None of my possessions is particularly valuable in monetary terms but these things really do enrich my existence .

Well, I guess only the cat whiskers are actually "strange" ... ;-)
 MichelleRenee1234
Msg: 63
Strange hobbies/collections
Posted: 10/6/2010 1:03:52 PM
^^^ Me and my washing machine both collect unmatched socks! I wish we would pool our collections together so I could have more than 2 matching pairs out of a hundred socks! Ah, well. I just go out mix-matched these days.

I sometimes begin collections, but since I don't like clutter it ends before I have more than a handful. I used to collect fairy and angel paraphernalia: posters, figurines (my mom gave me these two stained glass fairies that you hang in front of a window and sends little colors of light throughout the room.) I also collect(ed) buddhas and teapots... there was some crossover with that one.

And lists. I have notebook after notebook filled with shopping lists, to-do lists, goal lists, etc. Making lists make me feel good. I mean, I REALLY enjoy it! lol. I don't mean to keep them, but they just collect on their own, I guess.

When my grandpa died, my parents found all kinds of odd collections: rubber bands, junk mail, refrigerators--yes, refrigerators. And they were literally "found." That's how much junk was in their place... definitely hoarders.

I knew a guy who kept used condoms in an empty aquarium. That's just gross.

"Whiskers"

Lol... My cat would have a bunch for ya! The way he and my kitten play, they come out all the time.
 ChildGoddess
Msg: 64
Posted: 10/6/2010 2:02:53 PM
It's not really that weird. I collect different kinds of scarves .
 where4
Msg: 65
Posted: 10/6/2010 4:16:42 PM

I knew a guy who kept used condoms in an empty aquarium. That's just gross.

OMG!!!!!!!!!! Disgusting!!!!!!!! That reminded me of when I was about twelve years old and my girlfriend's older brother stashed a bunch of 16 oz. Coke bottles full of p!zz in his bedroom closet!!!!! AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!
 SunnyBlueSkies23
Msg: 66
Posted: 11/26/2011 7:48:45 PM
What DON'T I collect???
I collect................
~ Ceramic Masks ( 12 )
~ Butterflies (Glass, Ceramic,on teapots, flowers, watering cans,my shower curtain....my entire HOME, in fact! : ) )
~ Cookie Cutters (25, so far)
~ Cookie Jars (2)
~ Frames for Pictures (TOO many to count.......I LOVE taking pics!)
~ Mirrors (6......mostly used to make something look prettier, like my butterflies)
~ Vases (again, too many to count.....I'm allergic to bees really bad, so I keep fake flowers in them) ~ LOTS of C.D.'s as well.......
& ~TONS of decorations!! None of it is really strange or weird.....except I have SO much of it!! I give a LOT away, but can't seem to downsize too much...oh, well.
 SoBayNative
Msg: 67
Posted: 11/27/2011 1:01:53 AM
The heads of all the men I've dated. I keep them in a freezer in the garage.
 StealthyNinjaKitty
Msg: 68
Posted: 11/27/2011 7:22:01 PM
I collect postcards. When people I know are traveling, I always ask them to send me a postcard from wherever they're going, and if I travel, I send postcards from wherever I'm at to my nieces and nephews...they love it, and it's an inexpensive hobby to have and add to. And every Sunday, I read PostSecret.com while I'm enjoying my coffee.
 asianpeachqTea
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 2/29/2012 10:33:51 AM
As a young child I collected Feathers rocks/Pebbles/Gems,the nice Leaf/Flower here an there,Books(Read them of course..& kinda still collect books today due to my BookShelves of Books were thrown out)
hmm...such times...thinks back whimsically
 asianpeachqTea
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 2/29/2012 10:36:45 AM
Shiny coins too...they are so shiny..
and some they have interesting designs so even old pennies depending on them I may keep. Searching for that Nickel that has a Bunny on it...it exists!but if only one was made...Time for alil heist.
hmm.to be cont.
 Fred Astaire24
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2014 3:52:47 PM
I have been collecting miniature cars and car magazines since the early 1960s. I have a fair sized collection of cars, most of which I have built over the past 50 years. Recently I started to thin down my collection.

I have also collected books, films and records about the Marx Brothers, Groucho, Chico, Harpo, Zeppo and Gummo, not to be confused with Karl :)

I go to a lot of collectible shows looking for odds and ends and I have found some great antique shows and stores in southern Ontario. If anyone ever wants to do a tour of antique shops in southern Ontario, contact me. Within a 2 hour drive of Toronto, there are probably 200 shops specializing in antiques, from Goderich to Belleville. My favourite area is Stratford to Goderich as every little town and burg has a few antique shops.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 72
Posted: 3/9/2014 4:03:49 PM
I have a collection of white and off-white scarves, mantillas and shawls...
Posted: 3/11/2014 3:51:08 AM
I don't know about being strange, but maybe just "unusual" -

I'm not sure what they'd be called, but I'll call them "children's literature textbooks". I used to love finding school books for maybe about grades 2 to 4 (??) at yardsales and garage sales and thrift stores. They always have interesting stories, and ones that are oldish...kind of historical, cause they'll have whatever was the norm from those older times.

And I have an interest in a particular kind of board games - board games from ancient and extinct civilizations, and other cultures. I like the differences between learning how to play a board game from one, to that of another. The games that different and older cultures or civilizations would play is interesting. And their geopolitical histories. There is a subculture of collecting and researching these things equivalent to that of paintings or sculptures or priceless vases, and the like. There are archeological findings and writings that are highly priced and prized. And I like recreating different games of this sort with interesting materials and handcraftmanship. So it also entertains my artistic and creative drive, while also my love of playing a board game in the intellectual sense.

What might be called a "bible" for this for folks like me is this book by R.C. Bell, which is the most comprehensive that I've found, including drawing from things like the writings of Marco Polo, etc, to know what is what -

http://store.doverpublications.com/0486238555.html
 Walts
Msg: 74
Posted: 3/11/2014 5:37:02 AM
^^^^^ The books would be pretty cool drink!!!!

With my love for my fishing, I have all kinds of related "stuff" that has been collected over the years. Old reels, lures, books, and other misc. equipment. And then comes the "gifts" from others that is fishy related. It's everywhere around the house!!!!
I also collect all kinds of "different" stuff from the wild ( and from the curbside) that I have hanging around inside and out in the gardens. Drift wood, rocks, vases, bits and pieces. I hate to see "stuff" thrown out when I can get into a mood and piece things together for some form of visual appeal. Nothing better than walking around the gardens to discover a little hidden treasure that I placed and forgot about. It makes me smile.
 raxarsr
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2014 10:36:03 AM
reading this.........i realized that i have another collection..............small......but unique.......when someone i know goes on a trip.....i ask them to bring me back a stone......just a pebble they pick up during their travels........i have a pebble from machu pichu...2 more from both myan and aztec ruins.....a small stone from the great pyrimid and another picked up at the base of the spinx......one from the colluseum in rome....a small marble chip that was once part of the parthanon in athens............plus about 3 dozen more from europe, mexico, tahiti and china

to look at them.....they dont look like much...........but the sense of history is cool
Posted: 3/11/2014 5:26:48 PM
^ & ^

Oh that's so funny - I like both of those things also, exactly. Finding interesting odds and ends, and putting them somewhere or putting them together. And the rocks...that's exactly what I've asked/would ask of someone. To bring me back a stone from wherever. A stone, nothing else. Specifically. In these cases though, I haven't accumulated any real collection of stones, and no longer have anything from the other, from having moved and other life-changes. But that's an interesting coincidence.

I probably should add something here though, another "hobby" of mine. It involves thrift stores and yard sales...I'd occasionally stop by one and look for that one thing that was unusual or stood out. Like the craziest pottery piece made by a child that was obviously made, glazed, and fired with seriousness and it's shape was intentional, but it didn't look like anything. You couldn't tell what the hell it was supposed to be. And the coffee cup that I drink out of every morning is a pottery piece from a thrift store, made one of a kind with someone's bare hands, their name and date carved into the bottom. Well done too. And I used to have a couple of original paintings, on the canvas. Got them because the painting technique and skill was great. The scene painted came across wonderfully. On the edge of the paintings was something like $150 in magic marker. Got all of the herein described items for fifty cents to two bucks each.

Oh hell, more is coming to me now. I must be weird. I'll always pick up something "natural", at a particular moment or place, when it speaks to me. And will place the object somewhere awhile. Like once I picked up an odd shaped seed pod, about 7 inches, from beneath a tree it'd fallen from. It rides permanently on my dash board, sending out voodoo vibes to my vehicle.
 Westernguy
Msg: 77
Posted: 3/19/2014 10:25:22 AM

when someone i know goes on a trip.....i ask them to bring me back a stone...

I used to do the same thing but with pop cans - my fave was a coke can with chinese writing on it....I just lost interest in that eventually.

Here in Canada, they like to play around with the 25 cent pieces, like putting the different olympic sports on them for the 2010 winter olympics and I have a bunch of those .

Westernguy
 April1963
Msg: 78
Posted: 3/20/2014 7:30:28 PM
Not sure if this is strange hobby but,
I collect coins from different countries,I started my collection 20 years ago with my ex husband when we traveled to other countries.
My boyfriend helped me to complete it,he asked his friends to bring coins of other countries.

Also I have the complete collection of coins of the United States since the year 1800 forward, including the currencies of the 50 states now.

It is fun and entertaining to collect.

my daughter's boyfriend collects cans of beer from other countries..lol
 cesska
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2014 9:48:59 PM
I used to collect frog hearts, real ones

now I am looking for a 3 legged frog
 April1963
Msg: 80
Posted: 3/21/2014 7:30:56 AM

I used to collect frog hearts, real ones

Remember that you must keep it on ice so they can make your heart transplant surgery!..:)
Posted: 3/22/2014 5:29:39 AM
^ Ooh, that reminds me...I've saved all of the unsolicited first-messages wherein the sender tells me all about what's dumb about my profile and why they feel I should write it differently. That collection may bring tears to your eyes. It's pretty damned funny.
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2014 6:51:47 PM
I collect fairy lamps, and books on ballet and British history, especially all the kings through the centuries. I've also searched out and planted Missouri native flowers/plants in my garden. I also have a collection of cool rocks that used to be under the ocean in the Ozark area millions of years ago. They are now at home in my garden. They fascinate me and bring back wonderful memories. My fossilized clam is now sitting on my makeup table and keeps me company.
 jml510
Msg: 84
Posted: 3/25/2014 11:15:26 PM
I collected bottle caps when I was in middle school, and I used to throw them around with my friends at lunch.
I also have over a dozen hats.
 basilisk123
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2014 1:57:41 AM
I used to collect rocks as a kid, I would steal them from neighbor's yards and keep them if they were shiny (quartz usually). Then life happened and all of them got washed away in a flood. Then I used to collect MTG cards (don't judge me! lol) If you don't know what they are, google it. Quit, but not before compiling about 10k of those buggers, such a B#%@ to organize. Now I just work and play a videogame here and there when I got time. I am currently looking for new hobbies.
Posted: 3/26/2014 3:00:35 AM
There must be something about rocks and stones. A few of us either want someone who's traveling to bring back an interesting stone from that place, or collect(ed) rocks when young (or still do). I've done both myself. I wonder if this means anything...other than the fact that rocks are interesting and varied, and natural objects.

I also had a big box of perhaps a thousand of those Star Wars cards in the 70's, pictures of scenes, that you got in a package of chewing gum. I didn't really care about the gum. (I was just barely old enough to be mesmerized by the first movie, along with it blowing away what the movie-going experience was like at the time.) But they all were eventually lost one way or the other as a result of a screwed up homelife in childhood, along with many examples of my early genius in drawing and sketching. Who knows how much some of those Star Wars cards would be worth today.
 CSM9
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2014 6:01:46 PM
I play Warhammer. Just google it.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >