Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DomG79
Msg: 167
Whats it like being single over 30?Page 5 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

Just wondering then why in the hell u are here on POF if u so happy with u life?????

I agree with you here.
 hippy_dude
Msg: 168
Whats it like being single over 30?
Posted: 3/26/2013 8:10:30 AM
most times its ok being single. I have freedom to do what I like when I want .its not as great as it seems .I don't have kids but I have 2 young nieces who are more important then everything I have put together. i understand why people have kids. it can be rewarding thing in your life even thou I don't want kids . these 2 kids are enough for me and the reason my hair is turning grey... lol. I could go to Hawaii or mexico this week . I have the cash so the money aint the problem . instead I bought airlines tickets to new York city may 02 and the only thing I have to look forward too is seeing my loved ones again. when some people get older they start to feel loneliness.

year after year I live alone. go to bed alone and wake up alone. strippers and other women of that kind gets old and pointless . I now find that life style boring and empty . I would like to a have a travel partner and try living with a woman again . maybe it would go well this time.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 169
Posted: 3/26/2013 10:12:20 AM
I'm single over 40 now, but...

When I was single an in my 30s, it was similar to being single in my 20s - except my friends were better, I had more money, I was more secure in who I was, had more alone time, which I enjoyed. In your 20s you don't always get a lot of personal space.

Now in my 40s those things are even better. When I am involved I enjoy it, when I'm not, I enjoy it. We will be single many times in life - and involved. One isn't better than the other (depending on who you choose, I prefer not to give up a lot of things I have in my single life when involved). Both have their upsides.
 KSCFish33
Msg: 170
Posted: 3/26/2013 10:17:55 AM

Just wondering then why in the hell u are here on POF if u so happy with u life?????

There's a difference between being happy and being content.
There are different kinds of happiness.
TBH, if someone can't be at least content being alone then they aren't ready to date seriously.
 wildlifelover79
Msg: 171
Posted: 3/26/2013 11:14:30 AM
Personally I don't really care about being single and 33. Yeah I wish I could hang out with a woman my own age and do something fun. But I don't match anyone! I don't hang out with women who smoke or drink. I don't go to bars, clubs or go out dancing. I pretty much work 5 days a week and sit at home watching tv or movie. Or I surf on the internet. I will go hiking in a state park or take my mother out to dinner. But when you live at home and have no extra money to o anything it is hard trying to find a woman.
 KatarzynaLuiza
Msg: 172
Posted: 3/26/2013 1:40:49 PM
^ if a woman won't date u bc u don't hae extra cash to blow on her n bc u live at home it's just not a person for u. I think u just looking for excuse bc I live back at home n not that I'm broke but dont have extra money to go to fancy resteurant. But I don't find ppl to be as bothered by that as much as me. I dated guys with ok job n living back at home. Guy I'm talking to right now has ok job n is at home for now. If u not good enough n u won't take women to fancy place to eat she us not right one for u. But keep looking there is one that will want to be with u for u. Taking walk by the water or in the park. Going to free concert or walking around county fair are fun n free.
 Aintnothang__
Msg: 173
Posted: 3/27/2013 10:20:06 AM
I'm at the stage of my life I'd rather be single and happy then with someone just to have someone. I think by the time you get to your 30's (not always tho lol ) you know who you are, what you want etc. You also know what you DON'T want which honestly is the best thing about being a little older.
 braveheart106
Msg: 175
Posted: 4/1/2013 8:38:35 AM
The tough part about being over 30 and single is that most of the people (at least in my case) are married or in a relationship, so they tend to do their own things and you see less and less of them.

In my case I also miss the companionship; going home and someone being there, good conversations, family events etc. I would say im very much of the family man type; attending thanksgiving, christmas dinners, etc. So for some, it's ok to be single as long as you like it.

But as time sets in and you get older, I feel like I need to create a 'base' to grow old with. It's not fun but in my case I like the closeness of being with someone. That said, I have learn some very harsh but valuable lessons in life in trying to rush into anything.

I guess i'm an old soul so I want to find another old soul ;)
 Jhenry319
Msg: 176
Posted: 4/11/2013 6:01:19 PM
Good and loansome... It is hard to find a decent honest woman that you can turn your back on anymore. I am tired of coming home to an empty house .
 coderedjulia1
Msg: 177
Posted: 4/12/2013 11:27:26 AM
Not any different from when I was in my 20s. Men are just about the same at any age. And yes, I hate dating. The only difference is that lots of single men now have kids, and the ones who don't do want kids. I pretty much can't win when it comes to that.
 lightningman1
Msg: 178
Posted: 4/13/2013 5:25:58 PM
I don't know any different 36 going on 37.
You know that feeling??? Weather i like it or not i will be single for the rest of my life.
I have slowly come to terms with it.
 rocking ritschel
Msg: 179
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2013 8:45:27 PM
Freaking sucks,being lonely freaking sucks!
 a_lonewolf
Msg: 180
Posted: 4/13/2013 11:32:34 PM
It's pretty good actually.
A poem comes to mind for me.

Once upon a time
a guy asked a girl to marry him,
she said no!!
He then stayed up late,
had women over,
drove a fast convertible,
rode motorcycles,
came and went when he wanted,
drank fine wiskey and beer,
farted at the table
and lived happily ever after.
The end
 rocking ritschel
Msg: 181
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2013 8:07:40 AM
Falls over laughing:D Gawd that sounds like my life!
 KatarzynaLuiza
Msg: 183
Posted: 4/21/2013 8:41:46 PM
Well all I can say is I'm waiting for one text MSG from that guy I went out with n nothi g no hi no good night no nothing. But all those ones I wen out with n didn't like keep sending me MSG on when we can hang out again. So i am spendingy thirties sitting by my phone hoping one of the guys I did like will like me back. It just ain't happening:(
 ryuoki
Msg: 184
Posted: 4/22/2013 8:33:56 PM

Not any different from when I was in my 20s. Men are just about the same at any age. And yes, I hate dating. The only difference is that lots of single men now have kids, and the ones who don't do want kids. I pretty much can't win when it comes to that.

So you don't want the men with kids and you don't want the men who don't have kids but do.... that leaves a VERY narrow margin for straddling the fence....

KatarzynaLuiza, I don't really know what to say. I hardly get dates to begin with. I would not mind having date after date and feeling the power to brush them aside because of any little thing and still get dates with women who I see as great..... Good luck to you. But you might have to take the reigns into your own hands and steer your wagon yourself rather than waiting for the Lone Ranger to come along and sweep you onto Silver.

Here is the best quote to sum up the chances for everyone's perfect mate from 'Chasing Amy'. Just substitute the male loving lesbian for what ever you ARE looking for. And the man hating lesbian for what you are not wanting......

Banky: Alright, now see this? This is a four-way road, OK? And dead in the center is a crisp, new, hundred dollar bill. Now, at the end of each of these streets are four people, OK? Are you following?
Holden: Yeah.
Banky: Good. Over here, we have a male-affectionate, easy to get along with, non-political agenda lesbian. Down here, we have a man-hating, angry as ****, agenda of rage, bitter dyke. Over here, we got Santa Claus, and up here the Easter Bunny. Which one is going to get to the hundred dollar bill first?
Holden: What is this supposed to prove?
Banky: No, I'm serious. This is a serious exercise. It's like an SAT question. Which one is going to get to the hundred dollar bill first? The male-friendly lesbian, the man-hating dyke, Santa Claus, or the Easter bunny?
Holden: The man-hating dyke.
Banky: Good. Why?
Holden: I don't know.
Banky: Because the other three are figments of your f$cking imagination!
 Archangel_07
Msg: 187
Posted: 5/5/2013 7:26:52 PM
drama free, handling my priorities and responsibilities. Keeping busy. It's good when things are not being rushed.
 sportbikedaddy81
Msg: 188
Posted: 5/5/2013 9:02:30 PM
positives...
young girls are more attracted to me now for some reason.
life is more fun cause I'm in charge of all 24hrs of it and I'm accountable to no one but my kids.
i have more money to do things now
I can relax alone or go out if I want to be near people

negatives...
its hard to connect spiritually with women, they all seem to be shut down emotionally towards men.
for some reason girls dont actually make an eager effort to go out and actually meet people, they'd rather txt or
some other form of electronic conversation.

To some extent I've kinda always believed that a couple in love should never co habitate in the same house cause then you lose the ability to make an effort to see eachother. this is where the honeymoon period ends... this is when life gets dull.
 35brock
Msg: 189
Posted: 5/5/2013 9:07:51 PM
For the most part, being single at 30+ isn't that much different than being single at 21-25.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 192
Posted: 5/10/2013 12:36:52 PM

As years go by I find myself less and less compatible with people. In my twenties I was way more flexible, open and forgiving. Now I have all my "old single lady" habits and a need for a lot of a personal space. I've also gotten really picky, I know what I want and what I don't want and it seems to be vastly lowering my chances on meeting the right person. But when I try broadening my criteria, I end up frustrated.

This describes me in my mid 20's to now...the bottom line is, you have to ask yourself how important dating actually is when your choices are to broaden your search and get annoyed with the results, or just say screw this and crack a book/call some girlfriends/some other alternative thing you know will be more rewarding.

For me, it was to date only when I ran into someone that interested me enough to consider it. And that's worked for me - pretty well. In fact, I've been fairly content single, and dated some good men based on that strategy.
 ladymercury
Msg: 193
Posted: 5/13/2013 5:50:11 PM
It's great being single; I really have no complaints. At this point in my life it's more a choice, I feel.

It's also fun being the single chick at family gatherings. I've become that elusive, old witch of a woman that makes everyone laugh. They love me as I am without the tradition of marriage and children ... it's actually turned into a beautiful dynamic.
 Archiver
Msg: 194
Posted: 5/19/2013 9:56:10 PM
Hmm, my thirties were GREAT and my forties started out even better. My late forties turned into a bit of a selfish period, and were prime time for creativity, travel, career and making money. The eligible men seemed to evaporate during the decade of my fifties and the economy was in the crapper, but I did get to see more of the world, although often solo. I cannot complain about any era--it was what it was.

But now I'm in my sixties, and my life and the men rock!

Who knew it would get better as the years passed? I conclude it is all a matter of attitude. . If a time machine were set to take me back to my twenties, I would give my ticket away. My memories keep me warm. I would not need or want to do it all over again. Hell yes, I am writing a book. ;)
 ryuoki
Msg: 195
Posted: 5/22/2013 1:06:54 PM
Sounds great for the ladies who have their kids and reached their goals. As for me, I grew up an only child and vowed not to do the same to my own. So far I have one and tried for years to make it work with his mother. Now I am back to being single, and my boy is with her. Being alone sucks. Yes I have more money, time and what not, but that means nothing to me even with the free time to do what ever I prefer to have someone to share it with and continue the joy of building a family. As I get older though, that goal for my life seems to get further and further away.
 clayton573
Msg: 197
Posted: 5/27/2013 11:28:11 AM
It feels a lot like the movie Groundhog Day.
 sunriseguy5
Msg: 198
Posted: 5/27/2013 12:19:23 PM
Being single and over 30 isn't that bad. It is like being single and in your 20s, no difference. I don't feel lonely and I like to keep myself busy. Currently going to school and studying for a degree in I.T. which is my passion (aside from guitar/song writing). I got my priorities in place and school and career comes first, I mean what's the point in dating when one's got no financial stability or a career path , that would lead to a dead end.

When I am not in class or doing homework, i workout daily at the gym and go shopping or on outings with family. I also walk my dog to enjoy the scenery, listen to jazz, rock and classical music to relax and love cooking every night. I also chat with friends on facebook and steam (when i game) and I attend buddhist lectures and meditation sessions on Sundays and i maintain 2 blogs.

Then are over 7 billion people in this world and around us, so we are not really alone.

Happiness is a feeling and feelings are from the inside and not from the outside. Loneliness is a feeling too but that arises from a distorted perception of self and what one values vs. reality.

So if you are 30 or any age and are lonelily, don' t be. Take life for what it is and go for a walk and observe life around you and suddenly your "problems" aren't so big any more.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >