Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Greed... is good? I definitely think so.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Island home
Msg: 213
Greed... is good? I definitely think so.Page 14 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
Greed is eternal, so it must be good
Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!

Self never trumps community
Community never trumps the self
OH the conundrum !

How big and inclusive is your community?
How inclusive is your self?
 60to70
Msg: 214
Greed... is good? I definitely think so.
Posted: 4/8/2010 12:44:06 AM
Hey...ubi..is hiding. Krebby mind your manners. Greed is greed. Nothing more, nothing less. Greed is bad manners and needs a good and strict time-out.
 JP1111
Msg: 215
Posted: 4/8/2010 1:02:54 AM
Ubiquitous.,

Beside, greed is not good OR bad since, it is what it is. The effect of greed is what could be perceived as good or bad but then again, it will be pertaining to only the person who thinks it.

Ex., I win a million dollar, I will think that's good but, the guy who happened to owe a million buck and did not win and ended up losing everything will think it's bad. So who's right? Simple, it is what it is!
 want to travel
Msg: 216
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2010 3:02:26 PM
you are so very young, you still believe you live in a market economy
you are laced with 36 000 dollars of debt, all american are, even the ones being born, thanks to the bail out, has that anything to do with your self interest.....
the fact that you are 22 years of age, and you do not have a chance in hell of working at a job and retiring from it, you because of your age are going to have at least 6 career changes in your life
your going to save and invest, chances are really great, you will loose your investments, and your savings, is that in your self interest
today, every 67 minutes an american looses there house, it could be you, is that in your best interest
when you get old, you will loose all your money, because of health problems, is that in your best interest
you say the government is behind the mess, you are the government, it is your fault that the government is not dealing with you and your issues, but rather the issues of corporations
i feel sorry for you, life has become so much harder, in the last 20 years,and it keeps getting harder
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 217
Posted: 4/8/2010 4:03:07 PM
I thinking about "greed" vs "no-greed" is kind of silly. Greed is doing something for your self interest on a big scale. That doesn't necessarily mean it's at the expense of others. Many people who give are "greedy" at the feeling of the gift of giving.

I would say the question would be better put as "Is doing things for your self interests at the expense of others a good thing?" To that, I would say would depend on the balance between the two. If I could end up taking a million dollars by firing someone who was doing an okay job, sure. Of course, if I were to forgo giving them an awesome severance package, that would be bad. Not giving a sh!t about how things affect other people while only thinking of your self interests is bad for society, and will come to haunt you, too, if your attitude is defined that way. But looking out for your self interests in the correct way includes how it affects others, and in the end, it's just a question of strategy in terms of what works out for the best.
 abelian
Msg: 218
Posted: 7/9/2010 8:14:55 AM
How often do you look over the news and see greed constantly being blamed for our current financial crisis? Corporate greed, greed on Wall Street, greedy speculators, etc etc.
(...)
All things considered, I think greed - the desire to pursue one's self-interest - is a very good thing in our free market economy.

Thoughts?

Yeah. You're playing semantics games. The word ``greed'' as you've used it in the first sentence means a great deal more than pursuing one's own interests. It means pursuing one's own interests to the detriment of others by deception and by doing things that are probably not legal (and shouldn't be if they are). In any case, your argument hinges on your implicit assumption that people shouldn't be allowed to retaliate by whatever means is in their interests, like villifying them to rally public opinion against them. Furthermore, greed is not the way to pursue one's own interests. You can only con a greedy person, so if you are greedy, you are a good target. The only issue is what I need to dangle in front of you to get you to reach for it.

I've dealt with a guy who saw nothing wrong with ``pursuing his own interests'' and he was really good at it. He did it and got away with it for his entire adult life. I own his business and all of the assets of the business. He's a few hundred thousand dollars in debt with nothing to show for it. Never play a game for stakes if you aren't willing to lose more than you thought possible. Trying to take advantage of people can really bite you in the azz. You may think all is fair, but at the same time, you don't seem to realize that ``all'' can go way beyond the boundaries of what you thought was the playing field.

If you want to see an example of a real ``free market economy,'' get to know people who sell drugs and in general, pursue their own interests when there are no boundries on their pursuit.
 60to70
Msg: 219
Posted: 7/11/2010 9:44:11 PM
Greed and selling drugs are two different matters. For flippin sure.
If you sell drugs you have given up totally. You know there is no
hope that you can make an honest living. Greed is having enough
and wanting more...plain and simple. If those who sell drugs for a
living get greedy...so what??? They will face the same Karma. Enough
is enough....and don't screw with this fact. The righteous citizen can
also be as greedy as the drug dealer, even though, in many circumstances
the righteous citizen had more help and luck and fortune on their side.
No difference. Greed is greed.
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 220
Posted: 7/12/2010 11:39:01 AM
that was a good line for Michael Douglas in the role of "Gordon Gekko" in the 1987 movie "Wall Street"

that's about he only time it was" good" and as you can see from the date the movie came out, hardly an exciting new concept as you seem to think in your OP
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Greed... is good? I definitely think so.