Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 feyfaith
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Buying a businessPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Commercial mortgage lending is done on a totally different basis to residential mortgages. (I'm currently trawling through the Estate Agents lies, murky books, surveys and other assorted hurdles to try and get something going having got the funding approved in principle).

Residential funding is done on a "computer says no" basis only, commercial lending is VERY, VERY personal and in the current climate, very individualised. You can have the perfect business plan and prior experience, but if the broker doesn't like you cos you wore blue the day you met him the answer will be no. On the other hand it can totally go the other way and the strength of your personality can win over a business backer. It's all very strange.

Go talk to the owners as a first step - working a couple of days a week onsite for free as suggested above is a fantastic idea! It gives you a chance to pad out your business plan with the kind of informed detail tha is sure to impress a commercial lender, especially if you include realistic additional income streams such as web sales.

Then go talk to the council, charities and anywhere and everywhere you think could be a potential source of additional funding/grants.

Once you can say to a commercial lender the council will give me X for offering work experience to spotty teens as a social enterprise, the princes trust will give me Y in grant funding, there's an EU pot that will give Z and I'll get £10 a week tax credits for the first 6 months blah, blah, blah - ONLY then you will be in a position to get them to take you seriously.

Or could you do something very similar as a market trader? These have lower overheads than Bricks and mortar shops but still offer you a chance to make a living. As a regular trader you'll be in a position to cash in at Edinburgh festival and perhaps that could give you the seed funding you need to get going?
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >