Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NappyKAT
Msg: 40
MATCH.com V p.o.fPage 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
What about LoweredExpectations?

I think that might be the site for a cock-eyed, somewhat abnormal, stalker type with an M&M fetish such as mysellllll.... um... friend.

I saw it on TV. That site could probably help more than a few out here.
 coveredinpaint
Msg: 43
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 12/1/2009 2:57:25 PM
I think the paid memberships make people more apt to find someone, rather than just waiting endlessly on POF for the perfect fish to swim into your inbox 3 years from now. Which I know girls on here be doin'!
 REDDRAGON.
Msg: 44
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 12/1/2009 3:28:05 PM
Lateef.... what site you are on means nothing. I was on Match... got sick of their exhorbitant fees and decided to come on here. I am the same person. And I noticed a lot of the same guys on there were on here anyway.

Point is... for a guy... why pay for rejection when you can get it here for free? LOL.

It may be rejection for men but at least here they can sift through the air-heads for free.

once again...more points for guys.
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 45
view profile
History
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 12/1/2009 4:18:24 PM
I was on match when I was dating. I'm on here for forums. Match worked very well for me, and I was on other sites as well. Almost every date I had came from match. To some extent, I think pay sites attract more serious people who want to meet and date, and so may have higher overall "quality" of candidates.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 46
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 12/1/2009 5:11:27 PM
I haven't really gone "internet fishing" much at all for a while now (as I'm on here basically for Forums and occasionally browse)... but when I have been looking around online, yeah, it's basically Match vs POF. Back in college, Yahoo was bigtime, but now it's not... it's an alternative "why not try" if you have spare time I guess.

From what I've seen, you'll find a higher % of better looking and professional women than on POF. But from my observation, POF has more people in general -- so it's a bit more of garage-saling in the end, since it's totally free.

In terms of response rate? Sheesh, it may have changed in recent times, but I don't think it really would. Response rate of a woman within your league on Match garners better results there than on here:
a) I think because many women just "dipping their toe in the pond" would go to a free site like this one... and Match brings a bit more serious tone to actually meeting someone. This is a great pit stop to check things out but not ready to actually jump in the pool.

b) There are TONS of active men on here, way moreso than Match. Women get flooded with emails. Every guy on here can write women; every guy on Match can't. For the women who can't write on Match, a guy easily bump himself up and cleverly embed his non-filtered email address within his message, and suddenly, he's a not-so-common option.

c) Signing up on Match means you're less likely to be dirt poor. You've made an investment into things, so less likelihood of being some random dude in a trailer park hopping on and just sending winks. You get more kudos for signing up on there and ACTUALLY paying.

POF, I think is more of a lazzai faire, chaotic environment... more like big fishing nets of just about everything in the pond in the crowd, and a bit more reason for folks to bounce from one person to another, since there is a wider selection of people who can write.
 sweetlikesugarcane
Msg: 47
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 12/1/2009 6:23:32 PM
35 British Pounds????

W0w! What is that like 100 US dollars now? Just kidding. Just kidding.

But, anyway that is way too much money if there is no guarantee. Especially if they don't have something like the POF forums.

Where else can you read about dates pooping in the bed?
 MsStackhouse
Msg: 48
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 12/2/2009 5:17:05 AM
I was on Match and eHarmony (which really sucked). I had more success on Match then anywhere else (had several LTRs with men I met on Match). The men I met were definitly nicer. I left because I couldn't justify the cost anymore, and I noticed that memberships definitly declined and I kept running into the same profiles over and over again.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 50
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 12/2/2009 11:13:19 AM
I have been on match, Yahoo, and a couple of other site for pay.

I find that the same people are on the paying sites and the free sites.

Why pay to view the same profiles you can view for free? Makes no sense.
 el lagarto
Msg: 51
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 12/2/2009 11:36:09 AM
I've been on Match . Besides the obvious part - paying for it , here's my take :

Nowhere near as much fun to be on the site as this one.

No members forum - which I find endlessly informative, and a great way to learn about people - especially some you might want to meet .

If you want to change/update anything on your profile , it must first be submitted to the "profile police" for their sacred approval .

They're very uptight about letting anyone include email or website addresses in an email to another member - and will censor it .

No way to see if someone has read your note to them , without paying extra for that "privilege" !

AND - if you decide to let your membership expire - SUDDENLY you're notified of all these people that are winking, and emailing from all over the place !! ANYthing to try and lure you into another round of payments .

They got their last dollar from me - POF is my site of choice !
 coveredinpaint
Msg: 52
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 12/2/2009 11:38:42 AM
But doesn't match have that wink thing? Thats so much better than having a minimum amount of words to write just to let someone know you think they are your type. I'd rather wink at 100 ladies and have none reply back rather than type a full message to a 100 ladies and get the same result.
 MsStackhouse
Msg: 53
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 12/2/2009 11:49:09 AM

But doesn't match have that wink thing? Thats so much better than having a minimum amount of words to write just to let someone know you think they are your type. I'd rather wink at 100 ladies and have none reply back rather than type a full message to a 100 ladies and get the same result.

Oh, yeah...I was a huge fan of the "wink" thing, and used it a lot. They also have a quick "no thanks" button for those you're not interested in.

I had no problems with match at all - I just didn't want to pay for it anymore, especially after someone told me that most men on match also have profiles here as well...
 spot4username
Msg: 54
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 12/2/2009 12:00:36 PM

But doesn't match have that wink thing?

Yes.... but a person without a membership can wink at you. So if a guy who seems awesome for me winks and I email him my response he can't read it and in turn can't respond to it. Lots of people make profiles on there for the "trial" and wink like they have the worst facial tick ever but never get a membership. I think it is the biggest problem with sites like that. Lots of inactive profiles. I would love to see stats on how many messages are sent (and never seen) to profiles that are inactive.
 sweetlikesugarcane
Msg: 55
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 12/2/2009 4:52:22 PM
LOL at facial tick.

es.... but a person without a membership can wink at you. So if a guy who seems awesome for me winks and I email him my response he can't read it and in turn can't respond to it. Lots of people make profiles on there for the "trial" and wink like they have the worst facial tick ever but never get a membership. I think it is the biggest problem with sites like that. Lots of inactive profiles. I would love to see stats on how many messages are sent (and never seen) to profiles that are inactive.
 barbee1970
Msg: 63
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 12/5/2009 1:04:39 PM
I had Match.com about 5 yrs ago, still found men who were married, separated, living with another woman.

At least on POF we have free speech, meaning we don't have to pay to talk to someone. I thought free speech was in the Bill of Rights, but most dating sites charge you.

Well if my date is a dud rather than a dude, at least I did not lose anything on POF.

The guys who view me everyday are not lures like Match. POF doesn't air those stupid commercials with the stoner looking lady on the beach with the mutt or run dad run. Your paying for those commercials with Match.com
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 64
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 12/5/2009 2:26:00 PM

I had Match.com about 5 yrs ago, still found men who were married, separated, living with another woman.

At least on POF we have free speech, meaning we don't have to pay to talk to someone. I thought free speech was in the Bill of Rights, but most dating sites charge you.

Well if my date is a dud rather than a dude, at least I did not lose anything on POF.

The guys who view me everyday are not lures like Match. POF doesn't air those stupid commercials with the stoner looking lady on the beach with the mutt or run dad run. Your paying for those commercials with Match.com

This is true, but I've never seen POF advertised anywhere.

I cannot help but wonder how many more people would be on here if it were advertised anything like match.

-8sf8
 Nerdhead26
Msg: 65
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 12/5/2009 2:44:28 PM
Match sucks and any site that charges. you're just supporting the executives and their advertisers really.... you get less results. less replies and definitely a lot less people.
POF has a TON of singles out there. lots of e-mails and replies.
I'm really impressed with this site. it's more social, it has forms and real down to earth people.

those other sites are not worth it. those sites are just taking advantage of you. finding a date should be free and easy. just like the real world.

letscnow
Msg: 68
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 12/5/2009 3:29:07 PM
All dating sites have sharks, liars, cheaters; Someone just has to stick with what they want from the person they hope to find. Any free site is better than a pay site due to the fact that it takes awhile to see the true intentions of people. Sure, the pay sites may have less of the players, but they are on every site. Free saves you money while your trying to find your hearts desire.
 Karaokebear
Msg: 71
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 12/5/2009 6:23:39 PM
I would never have heard of POF if I hadn't stumbled into one of their events..with a date I met on eHarmony! Pros and cons of eHarmony from my perspective (2 tenures, one six months and one three months):

The "compatiblility matching" can be eH's strongest asset and it's biggest weakness. I actually took Dr. Warren's "Finding the Love of Your Life" course (released before eH even came into existence). He stressed then as he does on eH that the partners have similarities. I can agree to an extent, but I'd think there has to be enough difference to keep things interesting. It seems as though Dr. Warren wants to fix me up with my sister. I met some very nice women on eH, a few who are still good friends, but that's just it...they're all friends. I pretty much was in the friend zone with them, no real sparks, and I wonder if the compatibility was too close. The other issue is distance..it's really hard to get "compatible" matches close to you, even using the mileage settings. I can appreciate Dr. Warren's point that your most compatible partner may live several time zones away(though somehow people managed to meet and the human race continued for centuries before cars and airplanes), but in all practicality everyone can't uproot their life to be with someone, especially when you have kids and other responsibilities.

POF, on the other hand, I find it difficult to get noticed in the crowd. I have had very few women contact me. I have met nice women, one in particular, on POF, but I find that, like an old song says "The Expressway to Your Heart...at 5:00, it's too crowded" I like the fact that POF has events (though very few in my area), I think the combination of the online contact and events may be a key to meeting people.
 *lilacwine*
Msg: 72
view profile
History
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 12/5/2009 6:40:33 PM
I think this site has just as many quality people as the paid sites. I have met a lot of nice people on here - men and women. I did have a relationship with someone I met on here which unfortunately did not work out. I think Match is probably the best of the paid ones that I've tried. EHarmony was the worst and most expensive. After my Match subscription runs out I may try Meetup. Singlesnet really sucks. The men on there look like they've just crawled out from under a rock.
 *lilacwine*
Msg: 74
view profile
History
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 12/5/2009 6:47:10 PM
^^^^Also, singlesnet has these canned greetings you can send people without having to pay (I certainly wouldn't pay for it). So I would keep getting these same stupid one-line messages saying they were interested but obviously they didn't want to pay so they could send a real message. Like they thought I was going to pay for it so I could communicate with their skanky a$$es.
 Miss W
Msg: 79
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 12/5/2009 10:06:40 PM
I did have a chuckle the other night and went so far as to mention it on FB. I happened to be watching a Law and Order SVU marathon, that happened to be sponsored by Match .com. Tres creepy, and I'm not joking. Oh, and by the way, I've been on both sites and most are just trolling for sex.
 onefishwilldo
Msg: 82
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 12/5/2009 11:43:07 PM
The great thing about POF is that there is no charge for being on here. Match charges $39.99 for one month membership. PerfectMatch charges about the same amount or near that. The profiles are mostly made up with a bunch of words.
 omr615
Msg: 88
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 12/6/2009 10:59:15 AM
I have message board A.D.D and did not read the whole thread, but Id like to add my 2 cents in on the debate.

Id like to share a little secret that I have used. I have never been a paying member to match, but I have browsed profiles and found a few girls I would like to message even though I couldnt. You can do a stupid ice breaker, but who replies to them. Okay the secret is, copy their user name on match, then go to POF and plug it in a user name search. I have connected with a few girls that way and it makes for a great story on how you found them. Ive always gotten a response from everyone I messaged that had both match and pof. They're actually kinda flattered that I would go through the trouble, or my interest was that high in them that I took the shot.
 startle
Msg: 89
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 12/6/2009 7:28:21 PM
the guys over at match are not on there much...they will message you once in a while but they don't hang out over there like the guys on pof do...the guys here are just everyday guys...the ones over at match are rich and even semi-famous sometimes....the match guys are also better looking older guys...it is a better selection over there but not nearly as much fun...the guys here at pof are a wacky bunch...
 KeyofLife05
Msg: 92
MATCH.com V p.o.f
Posted: 5/18/2010 10:05:22 PM
Reviving an old post; sorry.

My ex g/f (...we have been "just buddies" for over a year now) joined & then quit match in the last year. Here's the rub: even though she's quit, they kept her page alive. She continues to show up in guy's searches (and continues to get unwanted e-mail even though she has a new b/f now).

JUXTAPOSE THAT WITH THIS...

I recently surfed match to compare it with PoF. Same geographic (etc.) search criteria, and WOW! TONS more eligible ladies there, it would seem! I mean, LOTS more educated, attractive women (exponentially more, in terms of sheer quantity of eligible people) showed up in my search results....

Yet, see my first point... they keep dead profiles alive.

BUT, the nice thing there is that you can rank search results based on most recent activity. (As you can here.) So EVEN THOUGH we know that they keep dead profiles available (and a lot of guys must end up messaging people who are long gone), on balance, they still seemed like a more potentially lucrative option. So the temptation is there.

Just my $0.02....
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >