Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Religion      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 poppata
Msg: 26
ReligionPage 2 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
I never heard of evergreen college before these incidents. I doubt earthshaking for the US. Besides, protesting is as American as apple pie, ask those who successfully protested the Vietnam war.
 Jo van
Msg: 27
Religion
Posted: 9/30/2017 9:13:38 AM
And the real irony:

"Jesus" fvcking hates crosses.

Of course "god" could settle all of this, if he wanted to, or existed, just a little bit......
(Or maybe "Krishna" or "shiva", or "John Frum", who knows?
There are about 10,000 different religions, - all of them; equally wrong. )

The bible is full of "fire and brimstone", "parting of seas", "knocking down walls", and "turning people to salt", or even plagues.
According to the bible, he sent a plague which killed only "first born males", in Egypt. Once.
(I've never understood why "god" didn't use his "powers", to save his [illegitimate] "son", he could have turned the nails into "silly-putty", or traveled to the future, and got a sniper-rifle, there are loads of different ways...... but I digress...)

"God" could send one of his "angels", or "messengers", to clarify things.
People just don't seem to see them quite so much, since the advent of objective verification, and science,
and anti-psychotic medications.
If you weren't meant to eat pigs, they wouldn't be made out of bacon!!!!!!
It's obvious.
"God" "cursed all women, forever and ever, because of the original-floozy, eve, who led that poor, innocent Adam geezer, astray.

Never mind Dee, and mr yikes, and kj,
-the kkk will still always keep using crosses, no fear of "pc" there.
They're "fine people"..........apparently.
(Top tip: Dee, you'll need some gloves.)
 John252817
Msg: 28
Religion
Posted: 9/30/2017 9:31:06 AM
Jo, it is interesting how the KKK and your hatred of God are two things that are actually intertwined. YIKES!!! It's ok, you can keep part of that assessment private, we already know your having to come to grips with God.
 Jo van
Msg: 29
Religion
Posted: 9/30/2017 10:25:29 AM
I've never seen "Tourette's", in a purely written form before.
You sir, have my undying sympathy.
HTH
 gtomustang
Msg: 30
Religion
Posted: 9/30/2017 10:42:02 AM
If historians can prove the Founding Fathers were agnostics, then a Constitutionalist has to admit the Separation of Church and State needs strict adherence. If a cross doesn't really represent a religion, then there's no problem taking it out, corporations change their logos often. If a cross shouldn't offend others, then let's replace it with a crescent and a star, b/c that shouldn't offend, either. We want a nativity scene on public grounds, so people can see we worship an anchor baby from an Arab land being warmly welcomed as an immigrant in another land. As for the flag...it used to have 13 stars. No one seems to complain it got defaced with the addition of some more stars :) So that change is ok.

What does the flag exactly represent? We go nuts when people speak, when they demonstrate in public, what freedoms to we really want to stand for? The GOP is fracturing b/c it can't agree...and at the moment, it may become as leaderless as an anarchist demonstration.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/with-or-without-trump-gop-insurgency-plans-for-a-civil-war-in-2018-midterms/ar-AAsE0Uv?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp
 deetristate
Msg: 31
Religion
Posted: 9/30/2017 2:37:16 PM
What is that?

If "if" was a skiff etc, etc.., etc.

Interesting "ifing," though.

"""""""As for the flag...it used to have 13 stars. No one seems to complain it got defaced with the addition of some more stars :) So that change is ok."""""""

Seriously?

I'll just leave that hanging out there...

Going to see Tom Cruise's "based on a true story" movie. It is supposed to make both Carter and Reagan look bad.

LOL!

Good evening all.
 congupnaroad
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Religion
Posted: 10/4/2017 2:28:39 AM

There are about 10,000 different religions, - all of them; equally wrong. )

Hey pretend Pom? That would mean that atheism is wrong also!
 poppata
Msg: 33
Religion
Posted: 10/4/2017 8:31:45 AM
Herod doesn't get that whether all religions are right or wrong in no way is material to the factual existence, or not, of a Devine being responsible for the creation of our universe, and/or life on earth. He'll never get it because of his programming.
 from site to sight
Msg: 34
Religion
Posted: 10/4/2017 9:46:37 AM
A lot of people take the middle road, and say they are spiritualists. That way, they can claim they are not tied to any religion, as well as saying they are not atheists. It can mean anything you want it to mean.
 daynadaze
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Religion
Posted: 10/4/2017 9:56:44 AM
Atheism is not a religion, it is simply not believing in any deities.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Religion
Posted: 10/4/2017 10:08:49 AM

Religion, according to Merriam-Webster, is "a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practice."

Less to do with personal faith, and more to do with wanting to be part of a social group.

God works through people who do humanitarian works. Those people don't actually have to be religious at all - just have a personal connection.
 chameleonf
Msg: 37
Religion
Posted: 10/4/2017 10:30:34 AM

God works through people who do humanitarian works. Those people don't actually have to be religious at all - just have a personal connection.

Those people don't have to have a personal connection and God doesn't have to work through them - humanitarians can be atheists.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Religion
Posted: 10/4/2017 11:12:32 AM

Those people don't have to have a personal connection and God doesn't have to work through them - humanitarians can be atheists.

That depends on your interpretation of God, of course. We were made in God's image, so there's a piece of God in all of us. Personally, I don't think God ever really expected people to bow down and pay homage, but just to be good to ourselves, other people, and to respect the planet. Humanitarian work fulfils that plan. Therefore, if atheists have got it wrong, a humanitarian atheist will still enjoy a happy afterlife.

I'm not religious, by the way, but I do have faith in God.
 chameleonf
Msg: 39
Religion
Posted: 10/4/2017 11:45:33 AM
I'm not religious, nor do I believe in gods. According to a large number of god fearing individuals, you can't enjoy a happy afterlife, no matter your humanitarianism, unless you are god fearing - not strictly humanitarian. It does seem to be a mixed up concept. You can be a god fearing individual, be counter humanitarian by deed and thought, but enjoy some kind of promised afterlife - all you have to do is believe, repent, ask for absolution, wash, rinse, repeat. In the end, for the greater number, it seems more of a man made exercise in assuaging guilt for poor deeds and thoughts throughout one's life. How we got here is far less important than how we live our lives while we are here - for the greater good of all humanity, not the varying religious beliefs that are at the root of most of history's most inhumane acts.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Religion
Posted: 10/4/2017 11:56:46 AM

According to a large number of god fearing individuals, you can't enjoy a happy afterlife, no matter your humanitarianism, unless you are god fearing - not strictly humanitarian. It does seem to be a mixed up concept. You can be a god fearing individual, be counter humanitarian by deed and thought, but enjoy some kind of promised afterlife - all you have to do is believe, repent, ask for absolution, wash, rinse, repeat.

That's religion talking, and most of it has come secondhand from men who want you to follow them, rather than your own ideals.

I don't fear God. Why would I? I fear man more.
 poppata
Msg: 41
Religion
Posted: 10/4/2017 12:25:07 PM

for the greater good of all humanity, not the varying religious beliefs that are at the root of most of history's most inhumane acts.

There is no evidence of this. I agree that religion is the root of "some" of history's inhumane acts... but nowhere near most of them. None of the evil leaders of the twentieth century killed for religious purposes.... for example, Hitler may have been an occultist... but he did not kill to further his religious beliefs.
 chameleonf
Msg: 42
Religion
Posted: 10/4/2017 12:38:48 PM

There is no evidence of this. I agree that religion is the root of "some" of history's inhumane acts... but nowhere near most of them. None of the evil leaders of the twentieth century killed for religious purposes.... for example, Hitler may have been an occultist... but he did not kill to further his religious beliefs.

That's still a matter of debate, even after all this time. For instance: http://bigthink.com/stephen-johnson/was-hitler-an-atheist-probably-not

Even if religion has not been the root cause (land, power, greed being the root cause) of inhumane acts, it has been used as a ruse and justification for the inhumane acts.
 poppata
Msg: 43
Religion
Posted: 10/4/2017 1:01:06 PM
^^^^If so, still not the cause, i.e. would have happened regardless of religion. No direct cause and effect.

daynadaze
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Religion
Posted: 10/4/2017 6:20:57 PM
There is no afterlife, nothing to miss.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 45
Religion
Posted: 10/4/2017 6:50:14 PM

Even if religion has not been the root cause (land, power, greed being the root cause) of inhumane acts, it has been used as a ruse and justification for the inhumane acts.

religion per se is rarely the "root cause" for atrocities committed...but most religious constructs lend themselves to be distorted for nefarious endeavors...mainly by their very own head practitioners

for example, Hitler may have been an occultist... but he did not kill to further his religious beliefs.

Hitler placed himself as the head of own political religion...he was the high preist & messiah all in 1
Thus, neither Theism or Atheism factored into Hitler's thinking processes, as he operated from a solopsistic base:

Philosophy The theory that the self is the only thing that can be known and verified. 2. The view that the self is the only reality. 3. Absorption with oneself without consideration for the needs and desires of others.
 deetristate
Msg: 46
Religion
Posted: 10/4/2017 7:55:52 PM
Religion is not the "root" of "most" inhumane acts. Some, maybe, but not most.

Hitler did not act in the name of a religion or to promote a religion.

Even if atheism is not a religion, it has a lot in common with religion.

As one wrote:

"""* Like religious people (at least religious fundamentalists), atheist are pretty convinced that they are right about God—that there isn’t one. So there is a dogmatic or “uber-convinced” quality to the conviction of atheism that seems strikingly similar to religious conviction. That is, both the atheist and the religious fundamentalist are sure that they know the truth and everyone else is wrong, at least about God.

* Just as some religious people are very public about their religiosity, some atheists are also public about their atheism: they wear T-shirts proclaiming it, they put bumper stickers on their car asserting their lack of belief in God, and some even buy billboards along highways that broadcast their atheist viewpoint.

* Finally, although most atheists are not involved with any atheist, secularist, or humanist groups, many are. And these groups—such as American Atheists, American Humanist Association, Freedom From Religion Foundation, and a zillion small atheist meet-ups all over the country—do share many things in common with religious groups: people gather for a shared sense of identity, people gather to support each other’s worldview, people gather to articulate their values and actively try to promote those values in the wider society.""""
 Galaxie777
Msg: 47
Religion
Posted: 10/11/2017 6:54:58 AM
Adolf Hitler was born into a Catholic family but left the church at a young age, calling it a religion for Jew lovers and weaklings.
Himmler the leader of the SS, was re introducing the old pagan Norse religion and all SS members had to take indoctrination classes and were told to leave Christian denominations.
 poppata
Msg: 48
Religion
Posted: 10/11/2017 6:58:14 AM
^^^ Fuk you Orion you skumbag.. You're not welcome here among normal people.

the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.
Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.
 Galaxie777
Msg: 49
Religion
Posted: 10/11/2017 7:44:54 AM
^^ Damn... gasket blown.
diddums.
 daynadaze
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Religion
Posted: 10/11/2017 11:06:13 AM
Dee you are describing people, whether or not they use a religion or atheism, etc., is where their character lies, atheism is simply not believing in dieities.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Religion