Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JustDukky
Msg: 115
1=1 Is it a fact a theory or both?Page 8 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

It relates to everything else.

Why do you suppose that is?
 scorpiomover
Msg: 116
view profile
History
1=1 Is it a fact a theory or both?
Posted: 11/26/2009 9:54:22 AM
RE Msg: 166 by JustDukky:

I would have been told to write out the square roots of every number from 1 to 200.
Gee...That's pretty heartless. I only would've told you to write the square root of two to the last decimal place.
Your teacher sounds more heartless. Even I know that would take forever. You'd still be doing that now.
 JustDukky
Msg: 117
Posted: 11/26/2009 11:15:16 AM
Your teacher sounds more heartless. Even I know that would take forever. You'd still be doing that now.

I was speaking as (though) YOUR teacher. I would've given you only one thing that took forever... not several. (I thought I was being a nice guy in reducing your work for you!)
 scorpiomover
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2009 12:05:48 PM

I was speaking as (though) YOUR teacher. I would've given you only one thing that took forever... not several. (I thought I was being a nice guy in reducing your work for you!)
My teacher would have expected me to only write them out to a fixed number of decimal places. If he didn't specify, and I didn't ask, then when he asked for the homework, he'd probably tell me that I should just hand in what I did, and that next time, I should remember that square roots have an infinite number of decimal places, and to ask to how many decimal places.
 JustDukky
Msg: 121
Posted: 12/8/2009 7:50:12 AM

The first being the Piraha, an Amazonian tribe that has been studied by linguistic anthropologist Daniel Everett. Their language is different in that, among other things (lack of color words, lack of recursion), it lacks numbers.

I've often wondered what we'd be like (and how it would affect us) if we never learned math. I'll have to read up on these guys. Thanks for mentioning them.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2009 3:07:12 PM
I think an amusing article about this subject can be found here:

http://qntm.org/?destroy#sec5

Proving that 1=0.

If 1 did indeed equal 0, so it is reasoned, then since there is 1 Earth, there must be 0 Earths... so, if one could prove it, the Earth would cease to exist. This is specious logic. Finding a proof in mathematics does not magically change a fact from being false to being true. It merely verifies rigorously as true a fact that always was true. Thus, if 1=0 could be proved, then it would always have been true and the Earth should never have existed. But Earth is still here. QED.

In fact it would be impossible for there to even exist a universe in which 1 was equal to 0. For any mathematical system in which 1=0, it is extremely trivial to prove, in addition, that 1=2, 2=3, and in fact that every number is equal. Or, in other words, the mathematical system has only one number in it, 0. In a universe which obeyed such laws, there would be nothing at all.
 JustDukky
Msg: 124
Posted: 12/10/2009 3:11:34 PM

In a universe which obeyed such laws, there would be nothing at all.

If mathematics is just a language, what does a mathematical statement have to do with a physical reality, like the universe? Why should there be any correspondence at all? How do we know there is?
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2009 3:14:34 PM
I know what you're saying, Just. The correspondence is that mathematics is a language to describe the reality we're in. Obviously, if we didn't have mathematics, the reality would still be there, albeit undescribed.
 JustDukky
Msg: 126
Posted: 12/10/2009 3:55:23 PM

if we didn't have mathematics, the reality would still be there, albeit undescribed.

...or described differently.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2009 4:05:21 PM
Touche, Senor J. I like your style. :)
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2009 11:34:36 PM
I assume you bowed to the author, since I didn't actually write that. :) I just agree with it.

Philosophically, it means if I understand it correctly, if something is "gone" through fire or erosion etc, there will always be something else to take its place. In nature, voids are always filled.

I think you're referring to it scientifically, and it's simple conservation of matter/energy that prohibits anything from completely going away. Therefore, there isn't any true void or empty space as we would think because something is always present, even in interstellar space. I apologize if I misunderstood you; let me know.
Also, I wasn't sure why you concluded that the only number is zero. Could you explain?
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >