Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Water75
Msg: 71
Text talk in the over 30sPage 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
i think when we judge grammer are the way people dress is not right.sometimes just find out about that person you just might like him.its like the pretty girl in the club will always are most times go for the player instead of the plumber.and they wonder what happend.dont judge unless your closet is clean.thats my moto.i bet if you thought the guy was gorgouse you wouldnt care if he wrote in mandren,chineses.
 angelscrx
Msg: 73
Text talk in the over 30s
Posted: 3/2/2010 6:25:08 PM
Well my daughter is 11 and she texts me all the time. She doesn't live with me so any message I get I cherish. I don't use text talk on my profile or in emails or in any written form of communication other than text. My use of text words is limited to a few words like TTYL (talk to you later), the occasional LOL (laugh out loud), and the frequent gnite ILY (goodnight I love you).

People do tend to over do it but I don't see anything wrong with the occasional IMY (I miss you) out of nowhere coming over my phone.

I think moderation is key :)
 mibra
Msg: 74
Posted: 3/2/2010 8:45:19 PM
Ha I like text talk... Don't know why... Maybe that's a problem from my job!
 JaredBoarder50
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/3/2010 6:13:38 AM
This thread gave me a good laugh, but mostly cause its true.

I have not seen this myself but would likely be turned away by it, even though on facebook I have my settings for "leet speak" that is basically like you say x 10, but that is just for the humor in it.

When I text message I dont even have the fancy qwerty keys but still write out every word I want to say. I have a friend that sends me emails in ALL caps lock and it gets hard to read. I really feel like she is YELLING at me when reading it lol.
 mibra
Msg: 77
Posted: 3/5/2010 12:20:57 PM

Contacting people is so important and surely as first impressions count, one should take the time to write a proper message. It is a bit like making sure you look nice for a first date. It is the effort that is so important.

That is so true... However, I am still a texting freak. I seldom take phone calls (most time not home or enjoying MYtime; in the day time my work line is busy) but I response text messages or emails much faster ... This is life.
I find out it is easier and more efficient for me to express myself by typing (texting) or writing. I do well in communication at work but I am not good at communication in a relationship with a man --- that's a bit sad lol...
 vapour lock
Msg: 78
Posted: 3/25/2010 1:23:15 PM
Hehe, already got that covered in my profile.
<div class="quote">"'ur' is not a word. 'u' is not a word, it's a letter. I'm sorry, but if you type like a twelve year old, I'm going to have to treat you like one". Seems to work pretty well for me. Also, if people insist and "txt msg" me here, I don't bother responding. As far as I'm concerned, they can rub a few brain cells together and figure it out for themselves. (;
 eroot
Msg: 80
Posted: 4/17/2010 10:21:03 PM
personal preference., surely, but i agree. i went out a few times with a woman that emails and txts exclusively in "text talk"
an other wise intelligent woman, and i cannot help but think of her as smart when i am reading "wot u doing 2nite?"

she has teenage children, so perhaps that is rubbing off? or she just assumes that's how this txting thing is done?

it's embarrassing.

should it be? meh.
 simply~red
Msg: 81
Posted: 4/18/2010 9:22:33 PM
for me it is somewhat a turn off.... to receive an email that says gr8 to c u or something along those lines.... would be the idiodic equivlent of saying LOL in real life instead of really laughing.

if your actually text chatting on msn or something some text talk is to be expected, but in the first email or even when chatting when its every other word instead of really talking, it does come off a bit "teenagerish"and not so attractive.
 Butterfly~Effect
Msg: 82
Posted: 4/26/2010 11:34:02 PM
Text talk drives me up the wall....my teens do not even engage in it.

What is worse though.... adults speaking as though they are in some horrific movie pretending to be an aging rap star trying to regain his youth...." I'z likes dat", "Wat u up to?", "I'z ruv dat", "R u down wit dat?"
 AmethystInBucks
Msg: 83
Posted: 4/30/2010 3:11:46 PM
I hate, hate, hate text speech (hate text messages, too, as they're cold and impersonal). It's lazy and really tough for me to even read messages that are shortened because my brain keeps getting stuck on all the incorrect words and lack of punctuation. Although my profile mentions not to bother writing me if you cannot write in proper sentences, I still get replies that make my eyes hurt... just proves they didn't read the profile! If someone can't make the effort to read my profile and write properly, I can't make the effort to reply back.
 SmokeNShadow
Msg: 84
Posted: 5/1/2010 8:50:42 AM
Yep, I won't reply to somebody who texts me, especially if they use that childish text talk. That's for people high school age and younger. I think it's stupid and usually those who text like that are pretty stupid too. If someone texts me about a date, I don't reply. I think those who are too afraid to talk on the phone are cowards and probably aren't serious about wanting to meet me anyhow. I'd much rather talk to somebody with enough courage to pick up the phone and get to know me.
 simply~red
Msg: 85
Posted: 5/1/2010 2:55:58 PM
If u read threw dis thread u will C wht it is LOL

basically it is the abbriviations, gibberish, slang, letters in place of words, using the way you would text on a cell phone in place of your normal way of speaking/writing....
increasingly popular amonsts teens and young adults, but found to be annoying by most of us who grew up in the generation that actually valued the english language.
 simply~red
Msg: 87
Posted: 5/1/2010 3:55:39 PM
LOL thanks stars ...... good greif how in this day and age does anybody not know what texting is?, rat, i highly suggest you jump into your time machine, hit fast forward to the 21st century, go into your local shopping mall and find one of these new fangled places called a cellular phone provider... i'm sure they would love to share the invention of the cellular phone with you and show you how to write text on them. they may even give you a run down on "text talk" to get you started
 n0odles
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2010 4:07:24 PM
It's a pretty surefire way of seperating the wheat from the chav... err I mean chaff.

sirslayer
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2010 11:09:21 AM
wow, I like to text and sometimes if your at work and you cant talk over your phone and need to reply back quickly, txtn n ths wy hlps and multitasking is a usual factor also. I think most people are not smart enough to read out the modern short hand of texting and maybe complex things are to hard for them.. i have met very good people that their profile was nothing but text type and more often then not the were the better dates.. Good grammer is important but to ingore or not to relate a message because of grammer issues can be bad for you.. like speaking to people from outside this country or a hadicapped person who is limited , you would be suprise what you will be missing out.. i heard this joke before when i attended at school.. ( i major in math) what did the english major say to a math wizz..... do you like fries with that!!! lol
 LittlestIndian
Msg: 90
Posted: 5/4/2010 1:53:37 PM
Most often, that cyberspeak is used in texting because some people don't have a plan with their carrier and those texts cost round about 40 cents a message---text too much words in a message and it can turn into 3 pages. Besides, text too many words in one message and you have sore thumbs.
 n0odles
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2010 2:06:19 PM
Just saw the following on a profile and sums it all up really, using text speak when you're texting is one thing but when you're putting yourself in the shop window then you really have to make more of an effort. Profiles like this drive me nuts.

"i lov a laugh, wot u c is wot u get n if u dont like it then tough, i lov my kids n they always com first. Not looking 4 a relationship just friends for now...but ya neva no whats around the corner n dont wnt 2 be on my own 4 the rest of my life lol. Not interested in any1 whos after 1 thing, im not tha type of girl. Just want somone 4 gd company and 2 hav a laugh with.

First DateIf we met up it wud b 4 a quiet drink somwer...so we can hav a gd chat xx"

Yes I probably need to get out more.... thats why im here I guess.
 artist_48
Msg: 93
Posted: 5/13/2010 10:32:14 AM
OP, I don't think you're being silly. When I am working I prefer to text or to have someone send me an email that I can check when I have the time. I am very mobile and text and phone calls are both great.

What do you think of a person who will not pick up the phone to call you but will only text. If you do call after she has text'd it goes to voice mail.

Not much bugs me, but that would. This happened recently and I simply told him I enjoy communicating by phone as regularly as I do by text. How would he know unless I shared this with him? Open communication is key. Ask her what she prefers. I make no assumptions. She may not be communicating by phone for other reasons. Ask.
Generally, though, I would say that she prefers text.
 519shyguy
Msg: 96
Posted: 6/20/2011 9:08:59 PM
I resisted for the longest time but you have to have a good text game to keep somebody interested or just to get to know somebody better. These days with the smartphones everybody is working text.

I use full words when ever possable. Emoticons are the best way to add content to your texts
 bsmith1976
Msg: 97
Posted: 6/20/2011 9:14:44 PM
I personally hate it. Though, any email more than 6 words and/or two sentences long impresses me these days, text-speak or not.
 Skotch
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2011 2:11:26 PM

i think when we judge grammer are the way people dress is not right.sometimes just find out about that person you just might like him.its like the pretty girl in the club will always are most times go for the player instead of the plumber.and they wonder what happend.dont judge unless your closet is clean.thats my moto.i bet if you thought the guy was gorgouse you wouldnt care if he wrote in mandren,chineses.

This ^^ is worse than text talking to me. I could get headaches reading this. Not even the grammer being bad (maybe this is a second language, who knows). That doesn't help, but I was taught as a freshman in high school that you use one space between words, after comma's, and the like. You use two spaces after a period. I've seen that rule thrown out the window and I don't really mind that noone but me sticks to the two spaces thing, but dear lord please space it out a little.

I don't text talk too much. I use stupid words like "hawt" or "snap", usually just to emphasis that I'm being silly. I can accept an occasionally LOL (although when you start always laughing at your own jokes, it gets annoying - blah blah blah punchline LOL). When its an actual text I'm more accepting of it. I like to text, gives me time to think about my response. To get to know someone though, I'd rather email or actually meet face to face. I feel the phone is just to message something or logistics. I don't like long talks over the phone.

I also get annoyed with someone who doesn't use any capitalization. Too many 'i's can get on my nerves. Once again, if its an actual text message, I'll deal.
 me000000
Msg: 101
Posted: 6/25/2011 12:36:12 PM
i prefer something i can read but have been guilty of the "shorthand" also but not if it`s about something important.
 OregonBrat66
Msg: 102
Posted: 6/25/2011 9:53:38 PM
I think most people just dont understand it thats why they hate it... COMMON SENCE... Its not hard to figure out people. I keep up on text talk due to the fact that I do have children and want to know what they are saying.
 OregonBrat66
Msg: 103
Posted: 6/25/2011 9:57:04 PM
Is this due to the fact that you really dont understand the short text language???? Come on im 45yrs old and keep up on this stuff due to the fact that I have kids. Need help understanding it lmao send me a message and I will teach ya.
 bsmith1976
Msg: 104
Posted: 6/26/2011 12:47:32 AM
The text talk itself isn't hard to understand. However, people who text talk tend to not use any typical structure or grammar and that can make it difficult to understand.

Furthermore, for me, it shows me the type of person they may be. Would you talk that way to an employer? Or your boss.? Then why, when trying to make an impression, would you let yourself stoop that low? To me, it's ignorant and shows a subtle lack of respect to the recipient. That's just my take. Everyone feels that communication is an important part of a relationship, so why would you show the other person your lack of communication skills in the first letter?
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >