Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BombChelle
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Text talk in the over 30sPage 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
This thread was hilarious. I agree that it's quite annoying. If I take more than 2 mins to decipher what you were trying to write, then I just won't be bothered.

I really feel that a lot of people have no writing skills whatsoever. I'm finding it's not necessarily text talk, but just bad grammar and spelling all around. Quite frustrating.
 broccolina
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Text talk in the over 30s
Posted: 11/20/2009 4:43:14 PM
I might be more forgiving if I suspect the person did not have a full keyboard available at the time. Otherwise, can't stand it unless in text.

And I love to text and will do so often if I can wait for the answer or don't have time for all the idle little chit-chat that has to occur when calling someone. I also had to get very creative because I have a limit of 160 characters so will be using the shortest words in any one of the 3 languages I have in common with the recipient.

PS: Apparently there were some studies done and the conclusion was that men hate text talk. The male posters in this thread sort of prove it.
 Jeeep4Fun
Msg: 36
Posted: 11/24/2009 6:50:49 AM
Actually, Marie, I find it childish over 25. You're out of college, supposed to be looking for a professional job, and you still typ lik dis?!? I know if I had your resume written like that, I sure as hell wouldn't hire you. Why would I want to (possibly) spend the rest of my life with you.

I actually even tend to delete emails written in text. Hell, my TEXT messages aren't even written in text, as we know longer pay by the character and most phones either have a sliding keyboard, a touchscreenone, or they're a PDA.
 Jeeep4Fun
Msg: 40
Posted: 11/24/2009 11:27:25 AM
Steff...don't forget to go to the shelter and adopt a bunch of cats!
 gapchgrl76
Msg: 47
Posted: 11/29/2009 9:50:05 AM
I believe text talk should remain on the phone for a quick message, but not to carry out a full-blown conversation. I know some people that "hide" behind text messages (and emails) and it is annoying. Frankly, I have quit responding. As far as the email and text talk, I personally like correct grammar and spelling. I can understand an occasional misspelled word, but not the whole profile and/or email. It's a complete turn-off for me.
 Unfold
Msg: 49
Posted: 12/2/2009 12:23:50 AM
I really don’t mind Text Talk in a Text Message so long as it is somewhat intelligible eventhough I hold myself to a higher standard wherein I make my best effort to use correct spelling, punctuation, & grammar.

However Text Talk in an email or POF message is extremely annoying!
 gynecomastia
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2010 3:18:25 PM
I'm a little late to this discussion (new to the fish and just found the forums). Thank God I'm not the only one out there with this pet peeve. I text like crazy, and with my new phone, it pretty much won't let you text talk it's so flippin' smart, but text talk doesn't belong on a profile or email message, period. This puma doesn't drop below a certain age usually ESPECIALLY if a profile is riddled in text talk or ALL CAPS. Lyk u no who$ u r!!
 chrisrazorback
Msg: 57
Posted: 1/26/2010 7:49:11 PM
I find texting in general to be childish why can't we talk anymore?
 VF102
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2010 1:37:05 PM
No need to rush old age, it will come with time. Nothing more annoying than a Gen Xer trying to act older than their parents.

Jason the Fed
 lunatiqfrinjj
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2010 7:06:39 PM
>I find texting in general to be childish why can't we talk anymore?

Because you have to make time in your day, they have to make time in theirs, and then you have a conversation.. Which is great, but not everyone can talk all the time, and people get annoyed or paranoid when they can't get said what they called out to say.. It's probably the cellphone's fault in the first place that we have adopted this "contactable anywhere anytime" philosophy, but with texting at least you can say something on your schedule, they can read it on theirs, keep it if it's sweet and you don't end up having a conversation, burning the cakes etc..

If you wanna talk it, why not combine both worlds; buy a suitably enabled phone (most recent Nokias work how I'm about to describe but any phone capable of multimedia messaging should be ok, apart from iPhones) and choose New Message.. Audio Message. Record up to 2.5 minutes (e.g. on a Nokia N95) audio and send it

You didnt have to put in any effort pushing buttons, they get to hear your voice, it's sent in a message (on your schedule) and they can listen to it when it's convenient. And keep it if necessary. Problem solved!
 johninsd
Msg: 65
Posted: 1/30/2010 9:48:22 AM

Is it me or does anyone else find it unattractive when a profile / email is written in text talk.
Once over 30 we are not kids, but adults.

I know I rant, but on principle I do not respond that start with
"luv ure profile, gr8t 2 meet up?"
I think it is childish.

Am I being silly / snobby?

No.

I completely agree with you. But even if I didn't... you find that to be annoying, so it is not "silly" for you to refuse to put up with it.

I'm sure there are people who think I'm stodgy and old-fashioned because I use capitalization and punctuation (hopefully correctly!) and try to use proper grammar when I write. If so, they're doing both of us a favor if they simply ignore me.
 Samantha5579
Msg: 67
Posted: 1/30/2010 11:26:18 AM
I agree with you. It's OK if you're actually texting, but on your profile, you should be trying to make a good impression, as you said. On that note, if you're not a good speller, use spell check, lol.
 scottey63
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2010 9:21:57 PM
A smartphone isn't going to phase out textspeak, because people use it when they are using a real computer keyboard.
 hotmominfl09
Msg: 70
Posted: 3/2/2010 7:35:25 AM
I don't think you are being silly or snobby, that would be a major turn off for me as well. I want someone that can at least put enough effort into writing a complete sentence!
 Water75
Msg: 71
Posted: 3/2/2010 12:52:07 PM
i think when we judge grammer are the way people dress is not right.sometimes just find out about that person you just might like him.its like the pretty girl in the club will always are most times go for the player instead of the plumber.and they wonder what happend.dont judge unless your closet is clean.thats my moto.i bet if you thought the guy was gorgouse you wouldnt care if he wrote in mandren,chineses.
 n0odles
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2010 4:07:24 PM
It's a pretty surefire way of seperating the wheat from the chav... err I mean chaff.

sirslayer
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2010 11:09:21 AM
wow, I like to text and sometimes if your at work and you cant talk over your phone and need to reply back quickly, txtn n ths wy hlps and multitasking is a usual factor also. I think most people are not smart enough to read out the modern short hand of texting and maybe complex things are to hard for them.. i have met very good people that their profile was nothing but text type and more often then not the were the better dates.. Good grammer is important but to ingore or not to relate a message because of grammer issues can be bad for you.. like speaking to people from outside this country or a hadicapped person who is limited , you would be suprise what you will be missing out.. i heard this joke before when i attended at school.. ( i major in math) what did the english major say to a math wizz..... do you like fries with that!!! lol
 n0odles
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2010 2:06:19 PM
Just saw the following on a profile and sums it all up really, using text speak when you're texting is one thing but when you're putting yourself in the shop window then you really have to make more of an effort. Profiles like this drive me nuts.

"i lov a laugh, wot u c is wot u get n if u dont like it then tough, i lov my kids n they always com first. Not looking 4 a relationship just friends for now...but ya neva no whats around the corner n dont wnt 2 be on my own 4 the rest of my life lol. Not interested in any1 whos after 1 thing, im not tha type of girl. Just want somone 4 gd company and 2 hav a laugh with.

First DateIf we met up it wud b 4 a quiet drink somwer...so we can hav a gd chat xx"

Yes I probably need to get out more.... thats why im here I guess.
 Skotch
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2011 2:11:26 PM

i think when we judge grammer are the way people dress is not right.sometimes just find out about that person you just might like him.its like the pretty girl in the club will always are most times go for the player instead of the plumber.and they wonder what happend.dont judge unless your closet is clean.thats my moto.i bet if you thought the guy was gorgouse you wouldnt care if he wrote in mandren,chineses.

This ^^ is worse than text talking to me. I could get headaches reading this. Not even the grammer being bad (maybe this is a second language, who knows). That doesn't help, but I was taught as a freshman in high school that you use one space between words, after comma's, and the like. You use two spaces after a period. I've seen that rule thrown out the window and I don't really mind that noone but me sticks to the two spaces thing, but dear lord please space it out a little.

I don't text talk too much. I use stupid words like "hawt" or "snap", usually just to emphasis that I'm being silly. I can accept an occasionally LOL (although when you start always laughing at your own jokes, it gets annoying - blah blah blah punchline LOL). When its an actual text I'm more accepting of it. I like to text, gives me time to think about my response. To get to know someone though, I'd rather email or actually meet face to face. I feel the phone is just to message something or logistics. I don't like long talks over the phone.

I also get annoyed with someone who doesn't use any capitalization. Too many 'i's can get on my nerves. Once again, if its an actual text message, I'll deal.
 OregonBrat66
Msg: 102
Posted: 6/25/2011 9:53:38 PM
I think most people just dont understand it thats why they hate it... COMMON SENCE... Its not hard to figure out people. I keep up on text talk due to the fact that I do have children and want to know what they are saying.
 OregonBrat66
Msg: 103
Posted: 6/25/2011 9:57:04 PM
Is this due to the fact that you really dont understand the short text language???? Come on im 45yrs old and keep up on this stuff due to the fact that I have kids. Need help understanding it lmao send me a message and I will teach ya.
 Luvs2Laugh78
Msg: 110
Posted: 7/13/2011 6:09:01 PM
I also have it in my profile as it being a pet peeve, and that I will not accept text speak messages! It's ridiculous and lazy.
Mind you, apparently many don't actually read that far into a profile, as I seem to receive/delete any text messages.

I personally loathe text speak, and aside from an odd ttyl or LOL never use it.
 AWildIrishRose1973
Msg: 111
Posted: 7/15/2011 7:53:00 PM
Drives me BANANAS!!! It's one thing on a phone with small keys...but if you're sitting at a computer, put in some effort.

Poor spelling and improper use annoy me so much that the last line of my profile reads:
"Please also know generally how to spell...and correct use of the words "to", "two" and "too" as well as "your" and "you're" and as a bonus, "there", "their" and "they're". If you don't understand what I'm talking about...Google can help. :) "

I'm completely convinced that if a person can not hold a conversation via email or messenger without using text talk or by using only one word answers that I will not be able to hold a conversation with them in person either. This theory has worked for me so far.
 worldtraveller74
Msg: 112
Posted: 7/16/2011 12:23:14 PM
I find this bizarre. People in their 30s are the generation that started this.
 Diancarock1976
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2011 2:29:19 AM
I hate it, as a matter of fact, I hate texting period!! Especially when you first meet a guy and he texts you ALL THE TIME!! I feel like a man who's truly interested will pick up the phone and speak to you. Plus I have a standard phone without a keyboard so texting really sucks for me. I just won't respond until he calls.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >