Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 n0odles
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Text talk in the over 30sPage 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Just saw the following on a profile and sums it all up really, using text speak when you're texting is one thing but when you're putting yourself in the shop window then you really have to make more of an effort. Profiles like this drive me nuts.

"i lov a laugh, wot u c is wot u get n if u dont like it then tough, i lov my kids n they always com first. Not looking 4 a relationship just friends for now...but ya neva no whats around the corner n dont wnt 2 be on my own 4 the rest of my life lol. Not interested in any1 whos after 1 thing, im not tha type of girl. Just want somone 4 gd company and 2 hav a laugh with.

First DateIf we met up it wud b 4 a quiet drink somwer...so we can hav a gd chat xx"

Yes I probably need to get out more.... thats why im here I guess.
 artist_48
Msg: 93
Text talk in the over 30s
Posted: 5/13/2010 10:32:14 AM
OP, I don't think you're being silly. When I am working I prefer to text or to have someone send me an email that I can check when I have the time. I am very mobile and text and phone calls are both great.

What do you think of a person who will not pick up the phone to call you but will only text. If you do call after she has text'd it goes to voice mail.

Not much bugs me, but that would. This happened recently and I simply told him I enjoy communicating by phone as regularly as I do by text. How would he know unless I shared this with him? Open communication is key. Ask her what she prefers. I make no assumptions. She may not be communicating by phone for other reasons. Ask.
Generally, though, I would say that she prefers text.
 519shyguy
Msg: 96
Posted: 6/20/2011 9:08:59 PM
I resisted for the longest time but you have to have a good text game to keep somebody interested or just to get to know somebody better. These days with the smartphones everybody is working text.

I use full words when ever possable. Emoticons are the best way to add content to your texts
 bsmith1976
Msg: 97
Posted: 6/20/2011 9:14:44 PM
I personally hate it. Though, any email more than 6 words and/or two sentences long impresses me these days, text-speak or not.
 Skotch
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2011 2:11:26 PM

i think when we judge grammer are the way people dress is not right.sometimes just find out about that person you just might like him.its like the pretty girl in the club will always are most times go for the player instead of the plumber.and they wonder what happend.dont judge unless your closet is clean.thats my moto.i bet if you thought the guy was gorgouse you wouldnt care if he wrote in mandren,chineses.

This ^^ is worse than text talking to me. I could get headaches reading this. Not even the grammer being bad (maybe this is a second language, who knows). That doesn't help, but I was taught as a freshman in high school that you use one space between words, after comma's, and the like. You use two spaces after a period. I've seen that rule thrown out the window and I don't really mind that noone but me sticks to the two spaces thing, but dear lord please space it out a little.

I don't text talk too much. I use stupid words like "hawt" or "snap", usually just to emphasis that I'm being silly. I can accept an occasionally LOL (although when you start always laughing at your own jokes, it gets annoying - blah blah blah punchline LOL). When its an actual text I'm more accepting of it. I like to text, gives me time to think about my response. To get to know someone though, I'd rather email or actually meet face to face. I feel the phone is just to message something or logistics. I don't like long talks over the phone.

I also get annoyed with someone who doesn't use any capitalization. Too many 'i's can get on my nerves. Once again, if its an actual text message, I'll deal.
 me000000
Msg: 101
Posted: 6/25/2011 12:36:12 PM
i prefer something i can read but have been guilty of the "shorthand" also but not if it`s about something important.
 OregonBrat66
Msg: 102
Posted: 6/25/2011 9:53:38 PM
I think most people just dont understand it thats why they hate it... COMMON SENCE... Its not hard to figure out people. I keep up on text talk due to the fact that I do have children and want to know what they are saying.
 OregonBrat66
Msg: 103
Posted: 6/25/2011 9:57:04 PM
Is this due to the fact that you really dont understand the short text language???? Come on im 45yrs old and keep up on this stuff due to the fact that I have kids. Need help understanding it lmao send me a message and I will teach ya.
 bsmith1976
Msg: 104
Posted: 6/26/2011 12:47:32 AM
The text talk itself isn't hard to understand. However, people who text talk tend to not use any typical structure or grammar and that can make it difficult to understand.

Furthermore, for me, it shows me the type of person they may be. Would you talk that way to an employer? Or your boss.? Then why, when trying to make an impression, would you let yourself stoop that low? To me, it's ignorant and shows a subtle lack of respect to the recipient. That's just my take. Everyone feels that communication is an important part of a relationship, so why would you show the other person your lack of communication skills in the first letter?
 writercookmt
Msg: 106
Posted: 7/1/2011 8:52:07 PM
I luv it wen ppl use txt tlk in one continuous run-on sentence that succeeds in stringing hundreds maybe thousands of words in one massive paragraph and I need to decipher and parse every thing in order to find out what the person is actually wishing to say because I made the mistake of responding to their profile that says if I want to know more then ask and they give me their entire life story in one gigantic paragraph with no page breaks or punctuation or sentence structure or anything that resembles the product of even a middle school graduate let alone someone in their 30s who says they are independent and educated and a good conversationalist but perhaps I am the wierdo for reading the description before looking a the pics of them dancing on the bar and sucking on a gigantic beer bottle then when you do get a text they do it on their smart phone and you get message after message after message to the point you need to just set the phone on the table for an hour and hope the speaker doesn't burn out from dinging.
'
Whew! that actually took effort.

No you are most certainly not being snobby by expecting someone to communicate in a way that is somewhat intelligible and not lazy. You are different from the grammar nazi who equates intelligence with being able to use spell check.

My view on the subject is that if you vomit a ton of words into an email that in no way makes sense do not blame me if I misinterpret what you say. If you can't take the time to be respectful and intelligible then I will probably not take the time to dissect each and everything you say to make sure I got it right.
 ChiliPequin
Msg: 109
Posted: 7/12/2011 2:44:13 PM
I don't like texting, period. It's fine for a quick "thinking of you" message during the day, and it's also really handy for things like confirming plans or letting someone know you're running late or are on the way. My big peeve is people who use texting as their main form of communication. I have a girlfriend who sends me multiple (20+) texts per day! I've told her repeatedly to either a) call me with whatever she wants to tell me or b) send me an e-mail. I don't consider myself technologically dense; I just don't like texting.

I've also experienced the "texting-as-dating phenomenon" on here and am not really sure how to approach it. I understand that some men are shy and don't like to talk on the phone. However, it's close to impossible to get to know someone via text. Text also opens the door to misinterpretation, because unlike talking F2F or on the phone, you cannot hear someone's inflections or emphasis, nor can you hear their tone of voice or see their facial expressions. I am willing to work around shyness or a reluctance to talk on the phone far more than I am willing to tolerate constant texting. If all you do is text, then that tells me that I don't rate highly enough in your eyes to attempt proper communication.

The complaint about "textspeak"? I don't see it as snobbish. Intelligence is a big factor with me as far as evaluating potential dates. One of my personality non-negotiables is a man who is smart and who comes across that way on paper and in person. If a man uses excessive textspeak in his profile or in communications with me, it comes across as not making an effort, or not caring enough to put your best foot forward and actually spell things out.
 Luvs2Laugh78
Msg: 110
Posted: 7/13/2011 6:09:01 PM
I also have it in my profile as it being a pet peeve, and that I will not accept text speak messages! It's ridiculous and lazy.
Mind you, apparently many don't actually read that far into a profile, as I seem to receive/delete any text messages.

I personally loathe text speak, and aside from an odd ttyl or LOL never use it.
 AWildIrishRose1973
Msg: 111
Posted: 7/15/2011 7:53:00 PM
Drives me BANANAS!!! It's one thing on a phone with small keys...but if you're sitting at a computer, put in some effort.

Poor spelling and improper use annoy me so much that the last line of my profile reads:
"Please also know generally how to spell...and correct use of the words "to", "two" and "too" as well as "your" and "you're" and as a bonus, "there", "their" and "they're". If you don't understand what I'm talking about...Google can help. :) "

I'm completely convinced that if a person can not hold a conversation via email or messenger without using text talk or by using only one word answers that I will not be able to hold a conversation with them in person either. This theory has worked for me so far.
 worldtraveller74
Msg: 112
Posted: 7/16/2011 12:23:14 PM
I find this bizarre. People in their 30s are the generation that started this.
 gothceltgirl13
Msg: 114
Posted: 7/16/2011 6:09:23 PM
Yes, as a writer perhaps it is more of a nuisance for me as well, in addition to being older and finding that more & more communication is abbreviated.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 115
Posted: 7/17/2011 1:01:12 AM
I prefer it, it is the fastest, most easy way to ignore, disqualify, avoid, delete and remove someone. Keep it up, it does indeed make my life easier.
Not so much here - but at work, you send me an email with text speak in it for a proposal request ? I have a hot key response that is more than kurt, your third offense, and you will be no longer working the account.

Tell me about your last position.
Lolz, d wz str8 h8rz , hkzOrz wnt 2 pOwn meh - cntz h8 n m3 y'o
 Diancarock1976
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2011 2:29:19 AM
I hate it, as a matter of fact, I hate texting period!! Especially when you first meet a guy and he texts you ALL THE TIME!! I feel like a man who's truly interested will pick up the phone and speak to you. Plus I have a standard phone without a keyboard so texting really sucks for me. I just won't respond until he calls.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >