Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Is it Wrong to call a woman "handsome"?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tnt144
Msg: 26
Is it Wrong to call a woman handsome?Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
You got in trouble because you don't understand women in this regard... you are better off not talking about a woman's body or appearance... at best you will only break even, and often you will offend them. It's just too personal. Just stay clear of the subject, there are a million other topics to make conversation.
 Chitownguy40
Msg: 27
Is it Wrong to call a woman handsome?
Posted: 11/22/2009 2:25:47 PM

"Handsome" is a masculine attribute.

It's much better to just call her gorgeous or attractive.

But that's exactly the point. The beauty of using a word like "handsome" in reference to a woman is that it allows you to admire her in a way that doesn't emphasize her feminity to death. It doesn't root her appeal in her sexuality. A dignified, older woman with lots of charisma, who may be of no sexual interest to most men, can still be appealing as a person--she can be "handsome."
 NYCman530
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2009 2:39:50 PM
Calling a woman handsome is like saying she's attractive in a masculine way, since the word handsome has masculine connotations. It just sounds odd, unless she has obvious masculine mannerisms. I guess the flip side would be to use the word "pretty" to describe a man.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 29
Posted: 11/22/2009 4:12:59 PM
From Thesaurus.com:

Main Entry: handsome
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: attractive
Synonyms: admirable, aristocratic, athletic, august, beautiful, becoming, clean-cut, comely, dapper, elegant, fair, fashionable, fine, good-looking, graceful, impressive, lovely, majestic, noble, personable, pulchritudinous, robust, sharp, smart, smooth, spruce, stately, strong, stylish, suave, virile, well-dressed, well-proportioned

Antonyms: homely, ugly, unattractive

(For you folks who didn't pay attention in English class, antonyms are the words which are opposite in meaning.)
 Remington55
Msg: 30
Posted: 11/22/2009 4:50:02 PM
The term "Handsome Woman" may be very becoming & fitting if she were a TS, Transvestite and/or had a sex change, AND you complimented her, then the gender wouldn't be so hard to swallow (pardon the pun)... Hahaha...

Anyway in the Western world, "Handsome" usually infers to a masculine good looks rather than the delicate attributes of great physical beauty and appeals of MOST women. If a woman had facial features that weren't feminine or delicate and had a prominent or wider nose or jaw line, she would be considered Handsome & not delicate. If you're looking for something more archaic, then a "Comely wench" would be appropriate as it infers 'a beautiful young woman." I love this tread, I mean no disrespect to either gender. It's all with tongue in cheek & being able to laugh at one's self.

When my ex-wife used to refer someone as "Beautiful in her own way & smart too," all our friends said, "Yeah, you're implying that she's ugly!!!"

If Divorced, Broke, Bald (DBB) (Msg 21) is Ok with being called "Handsome" & terms are interchangeable, I suppose saying that he's cute, delicate, sweet and pretty would be flattering, gracious and strikingly beautiful. Way to go GORGEOUS... LMAO I'm not flaming you, I'm laughing with you...

I suppose a person could refer a woman is "Handsome" if she could kick his a-s-s any day of the week & was way stronger than he was AND she had a nicer mustache too... Eh? Hmmmm by this definition, I know lots of Handsome women!!!!

Cheers,

**~Remington55~**
 chameleonf
Msg: 31
Posted: 11/22/2009 6:15:31 PM
It's an old term (very positive) which is misunderstood by too many people today so, nah, find another term. If used, however, it's not a good idea to use it at the same time you tell her you wish you could grow a moustache like her unless you have very fast reflexes or can outrun her.
 Zephyr2553
Msg: 32
Posted: 11/22/2009 7:26:04 PM
I read all the comments and agree they are pretty funny...but why would the word "handsome" somehow be synonomous with a seasoned woman?? Now, I've seen plenty of "Pats", women who start to look just like men like someone came and sucked up all their femininity and left them nothing but androgens.
But, trust me, I've seen plenty of younger women with moustaches...I work with a lot of them and they have names like Carmella and Conchita. Also with hairy arms and love trails...
I don't know why, but some nationalities just seem to produce a lot of hair and kankles (no break between the calves and ankles)...and clunky feet, huge heels and chubby toes.
But "handsome".....still think it is the Brunhilda type, the Swedish masseuse with the arms of steel and the face that could chop wood.
 TedJMill
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2009 7:30:35 AM
The counterpart I guess, calling a man "pretty" or "beautiful", might imply the Japanese bishonen sort of look, described here as "tall, slender and androgynously beautiful":
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Bishonen
 Helen0426
Msg: 34
Posted: 11/23/2009 7:36:39 AM

It's an old term (very positive) which is misunderstood by too many people today so, nah, find another term.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised at the number of perfectly literate people posting on this who clearly have no idea what it means in reference to a woman, and assume the worst possible interpretation. And not all of 'em are 20!

So, never mind whether or not they ever crack a book, I'd make sure my audience doesn't tend to think negatively, and has a broad frame of reference in linguistic terms, word roots, and etymology, before using this word. Or just skip it, since, apparently, if this is a representative sample, a great many of my fellow Americans think all words mean one thing and one thing only...

:sad:
 anunu
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2009 7:43:46 AM
You will not get an Amen from me!

A woman does not want to hear that from a man, even if it is true.
Handsome is a word for men and boys.
Women are cute, beautiful, pretty, sexy, and attractive
 chameleonf
Msg: 36
Posted: 11/23/2009 7:46:36 AM

if this is a representative sample, a great many of my fellow Americans think all words mean one thing and one thing only...

...and I'm as equally surprised that those same people who think all words mean one thing and only one thing have such a tendancy to pick the negative connotation, rather than the positive.
 Sabrosura
Msg: 37
Posted: 11/23/2009 8:06:03 AM
OP: I've never heard of "handsome" being a descriptive term for a woman, but from what I've read here it appears to be.

I think most women would much rather be "stunning", "attractive", "striking", etc.....
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 38
Posted: 11/8/2010 12:29:07 PM
Lol! I was described once, to my face, at first meeting thusly: "Ah! A handsome, sleepy woman. . . . " We went on to have a wonderfully exciting and sexy year. I never, not even for a second, took it as other than an awesome compliment by a man familiar with the use of his native language. . . .

Thirty odd years later, I still consider it one of the very best compliments I've ever been paid.

peppermint petunias
Msg: 39
Posted: 11/8/2010 12:48:43 PM
No more than a man pretty or beautiful IMO.

I'll take it as a compliment any day.

I have been called" right sporty" looking...in the past.

I am certainly not a sporty person.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 40
Posted: 11/8/2010 2:05:56 PM
Ellen DeGeneres is what I'd call "handsome". Her wife, Portia, is what I'd call "pretty". Personally, I wouldn't take the term, "handsome" as a compliment---but that's just me.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2010 2:23:29 PM
The use of words is all about INTENTIONS. In the case you've described, OP, your intention was NOT to use "handsome" to mean attractive as a female, at all. You meant to say she looked MANLY, and NOT attractive. You meant she looked like a handsome MAN, and that is NOT a "nice" intention. So though I too know well the true meaning of the word handsome, and that it CAN be a compliment to either sex, I would say that in YOUR use of it, you were deserving of the trouble you received for it. NO "AMEN" for you.
This assumes that I have correctly r4ead what you wrote in the first two posts you put on this.
 RushLuv
Msg: 42
Posted: 11/8/2010 2:31:20 PM
Handsome men.
Beautiful women.

I also wouldn't take being called handsome as a compliment.
 REDDRAGON.
Msg: 43
Posted: 11/8/2010 2:37:27 PM

OP: I've never heard of "handsome" being a descriptive term for a woman, but from what I've read here it appears to be.

I think most women would much rather be "stunning", "attractive", "striking", etc.....

handsome???

hmmm? what if she's wearing a strap-on.....

yes?
no?
maybe?

................................................................................................................
Msg: 44
Posted: 11/8/2010 3:06:00 PM
I know what you mean by handsome and I dont think its an insult at all.I saw a woman the other day who could never be described as a cute overly feminine piece of fluff,but she was striking looking with even well defined features that would make you look twice.I think that regal would be a better description.
 Simon4567
Msg: 45
Posted: 11/8/2010 4:36:52 PM

Is it wrong to call a woman handsome?

Does she have a beard? If so, then no it is not wrong. When you say she is handsome, make sure you also comment on how soft it is or how it looks like a wheat field blowing in the wind.
 Dena1015
Msg: 46
Posted: 11/8/2010 5:49:25 PM
Lol..How would you like to be called pretty? Although I guess Johnny Depp is kind of pretty! But Oh gosh don't call a woman you want to see again handsome..not a compliment! Pretty, Gorgeous, Beautiful, and even attractive but not Handsome
 1eastshore
Msg: 47
Posted: 11/8/2010 6:48:03 PM
Not really a big deal IMO. There are a lot worse things you could call a woman.
 JRodriguez81
Msg: 48
Posted: 11/8/2010 7:20:59 PM

lol, I read in a fiction book a woman described this way, handsome means attractive, although it's rarely used to a woman, hell I think I'm going to try saying this and see what reactions I get, it sounds fun, lol.

It does sound fun. Im going to call a woman "handsome" soon and see what happens. Sounds like an awesome idea.
 SouthBayNative
Msg: 49
Posted: 11/8/2010 7:35:58 PM

Right, plus this gal had an awesome mustache to boot. So I mean come on--that's just handsome!

Well, I have a lovely mustache too but no one's ever called me handsome.
 Simon4567
Msg: 50
Posted: 11/8/2010 9:46:02 PM

Well, I have a lovely mustache too but no one's ever called me handsome.

Maybe you just haven't met the right guy yet.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Is it Wrong to call a woman "handsome"?