Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 afixerupper
Msg: 52
view profile
History
People, why against the rocking chair on the porch?Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I have a really comfortable rocking chair in the garage, all covered with dust. I keep cheapo plastic chairs around to rest while doing chores so I don't get too comfortable. I think if I pulled that old rocker out and set a spell watching the chickens peck, I might sit there for an hour or two and end up doing chores in the dark.
 moraima
Msg: 54
view profile
History
People, why against the rocking chair on the porch?
Posted: 11/20/2009 11:35:58 AM
"asking if taking time to appreciate the natural world around us, to pause and hear the birds, watch the sky change, feel the wind on our skin is less important than constantly rushing, never noticing what's in front of our faces."

I can appreciate the world of nature around me. However, instead of just watching, I get out there and feed the bird, take care/nurse the wildlife.

Enjoying wind on my skin is as natural a breathing. I am quite capable of using my energy and enjoy the eliments on my skin at the same time.

Deck sitting bores me. Walking out to greet nature is my nature. Gardening relaxes me. Sitting doesn't. My body enjoys keeping moving.

Different strokes for sure.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 55
Posted: 11/20/2009 11:49:09 AM
I might sit there for an hour or two and end up doing chores in the dark

Indeed, lol!

Here's one I wrote a couple of years ago. . . .

Water gathering

most days I wait
through blue and sun
till dusk

or even later
and the rose has faded
to lavender, to gray

some days, the sleet
has started
and the leaves underfoot
are slick with ice

somehow I'm never sorry
and never learn

one night I waited
till the stars were out
dropped the bucket into
sound, only felt the weight
of it filling

and the night full of stars
and the river full of stars
and the bucket full of stars

come morning, the coffee
is also full of stars

jjl
7 January 2007
 moraima
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2009 1:23:03 PM
"the motion of rocking has a calming influence and conjures a feeling of safety, peacefulness, if only for a moment in time."

Sorry but I don't get why people's lives are so hard for them to bear that they don't feel like the above 99% of the time, whether they are in a rocker on the porch, or at a business meeting. Life can only ruin our calm if we let it.

Certainly real, serious issues come into our lives once in a while, but not daily unless we choice to live a non calming, unsafe lifestyle.
 moraima
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2009 2:03:42 PM
"Ever rock a baby?"

Frankly, no. I have always refused to hold babies. I do know that many people enjoy it, and some people can't get enough of it. However, babies aren't something some people want to be part of and it is just fine to not enjoy it.

"No conventions, protocols or facades involved. "

My point is working towards and achieving no conventions, protocols or facades in our lives is something that is within our ability to do. People sign up for having conventions, protocols or facades in their lives, when it is unnecessary to do so.

Inner peace allows for having all the energy we need at our finger tips without having to look outside ourselves to find it.

If people have to create a place, and time to find relaxation and peace that is their choice. If your home, job, lifestyle doesn't give you peace, and you want more peace then make changes. If you enjoy things the way they are, then enjoy that.

In my work day today there were many possbile stressers. For me, it was just the way things were. I deal with each issue until it was no longer an issue. Didn't lose my inner peace while cleaning up the muck. Others around me lost their inner peace and will probably need to destress in their rocking chairs tonight.
 moraima
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2009 2:18:12 PM
"People who enjoy stillness haven't necessarily lost their inner peace, Moraima."

Never said it did. People are missing my point. We are all different, and get different things from different things.

Nature gives me energy. Some people it gives stillness. Neither is right or wrong.

"I find a great stillness rests on me when I spend time at the ocean, watching the waves, watching the sky, looking for dolphins or seals. It calms my mind and it's wonderful. "

When I spend time at the ocean, I am busy and energized. Walking for miles, swimming in the waves, playing with the sea creatures. My mind is already calm, and the ocean invites me to play, as do my friends that I meet while jogging on the beach.

ps. It sure is a good workout for the calf muscles walking in wet sand. Then my muscles feel great, and I want to do more and more.

Then again, I don't have many voices in my head..............sorry, just joking.

My number one rule for myself is that when I have too much chatter in my head, it means I have work to do to fix something. Get the work done, and the chatter is gone.
 el lagarto
Msg: 61
Posted: 11/20/2009 4:19:46 PM
Hey , nothin' wrong with rocking chairs - they rock ! : )

But seriously , sure it's good to just sit and let the world go by - sometimes .

But with obesity having become a major epidemic that is killing a lot of people , and destroying the quality of life for a whole lot more - leaving the porch to move around , instead of all the sitting ( on the porch , in front of TV , at the computer etc. ) , seems like a very good idea - at any age !

I'm a firm believer in " use it , or lose it " !
 Notdesper8atall
Msg: 62
Posted: 11/20/2009 4:34:22 PM
Well some folks are afraid to sit a spell in the rocker for fear if they stop moving long enough that they will up and croak.. " If I am moving that grim reaper fellow cant catch me.."

Personally I like to balance out my life when I can.

Work
Play
Rest and Reflection

When I am busy with the first two, the third one gives me the time to rest and decide on how and what way to proceed with the first two. But it isnt exclusively for that. Sometimes it is nice to sit and rock and let the mind wander where it will. Some of my best landscaping ideas come from sitting on the deck enjoying the friuts of my labors.

moraima
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2009 8:30:07 PM
"Sorry to hear that."

After our bonfires, we build huge bonfires, firewalk or dance.

Sure we go to a patio to eat, but when we are finished, we move on to the next activity. So what Different strokes.

Why do some people who enjoy their rocking chairs have problems when others don't enjoy the same thing! I would think that if you are doing what you enjoy, you won't care what others enjoy.
 southaustingal
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2009 9:15:57 PM
One of my favorite places is in my rocking chair on my front porch watching the stars. In fact, my daughter and I call it porch time and it is the special time we spend together. Nothing wrong with kicking back, listening to tunes and having a good talk with the rocking.
 raxarsr
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2009 1:34:03 AM
i think i'm gonna get a rocking chair and try sitting in it for about a week........................then i'm gonna slowly start rocking
 Notdesper8atall
Msg: 70
Posted: 11/21/2009 8:40:12 PM
"For creative types, it's imperative to allow a lot of time for daydreaming".

Not "a lot" but enough. Keeping a balance is the key. The same holds true for anything one choses to do in life.

If you too busy running around the trees you will end up lost in the forest. You have to take time to smell the roses even if you dont take the time to watch them grow and bloom.
 Notdesper8atall
Msg: 72
Posted: 11/21/2009 10:10:59 PM
^^^^^^ Well becareful or else you will wear out that rocker and then you will be off your rocker.
 southaustingal
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2009 10:15:09 PM
I agree Deb. It is the shared experience that matters.
 Rythmn
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2009 10:56:33 PM
i think there's a wide difference between a couch potato and a person who likes a rocking chair! for me, having had lymes, i cannot be active like i used to be. but that started in my late 40's, so i'm used to having my brain several miles ahead of my body. here in CA, all my friends do heavy duty hiking. i do my best and wish i could keep up with them for the more aggressive hikes, mainly for the views i am missing. but, they all hang out with me afterwards, and so it hasn't affected me socially per se. the man i am now dating (again) is an active sailor and wish i could do that as well. but, there are things i can do that others can't--so, se la vie!

living on the creek, it's wonderful to sit, be it on the rocker or the chaise or on one of the big bolders beyond the fence. it calms me, as does a walk along the ocean.

i have two old wickers from my childhood, about to be restored for outside. inside a big old morris rocker from my childhood and one even more comfortable that my parents bought when they got married. all have been reupholstered several times in my possession. then i bought a smaller one, kind of victorian looking. not sure who to give them to as i downsize. all have so many memories. i don't think my kids are old enough to cherish them, as i have done.

i think if you do not have a disablity, you can do both. but, OP, we both do. so, we get to be on the receiving end! i stopped hosting meetups for awhile to get some of my personal stuff in order. but, whether it's indie films or playing board games, i find most of the people in my life do appreciate a good rocker and cozy home with food on the table. my friends are in their 40's and up, so many are far from thinking their lives are over.
 louise1359
Msg: 76
Posted: 11/22/2009 9:36:52 AM

I liked rocking chairs even as a kid.

Me, too. I went from Rocking Horse to Rocking Chair, although if they HAD an adult-sized Rocking Horse (or even one for bigger kids), I might have made that transition a bit more slowly. I'm pretty active but I LOVE rocking or swinging in a seat, when the weather and scenery are right (and that's a lot of the time).

I know the bigger question is somewhat different, and maybe at 55 or 65 or 75 I'll have different answers, but for now, I say, why not do both: "rock" and "roll!" :)
 morningsong53
Msg: 77
Posted: 11/22/2009 4:14:08 PM
ah...my little cabin has a 2nd level screened porch where there are 2 comfy "porch"
chairs, a glider and a very special rocker that my boys brought to me on one Mother's Day. The single most endearing material gift I will ever own. Family and friends love my little porch that is surrounded by treetops. Have shared many a cup of coffee out there in the rocker where folks are able to just open their hearts and spill their innermost thoughts....its a nurturing place. Over the doorway out to "the Porch" is a rustic sign that reads: "Too Much of a Good Thing is Wonderful".
 Snappy_Turtle
Msg: 78
Posted: 5/19/2011 6:22:43 PM
OP,
I could be wrong (often am)
but I wonder if it isn't partly the impression that us old Rockers don't do much else
and/or if the contemplatives among us are harder to understand by people who don't spend much time in introspection.
 Janet_Always
Msg: 79
Posted: 5/19/2011 7:30:15 PM
There's nothing wrong with sitting, rocking or whatever and just enjoying being still. There is a fear as we age of "use it or lose it". And there is some truth to that for sure... but we're not all that good at just doing nothing. In fact I've been with men that it appeared impossible for them to be still at all!

I don't think it's just an age thing, but a difference of personality.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2011 2:42:38 AM
read this thread for the 1st time today, I think ... made me sad because I don't HAVE a porch! I have a patio and a deck in the back but I rarely go outside and enjoy it ... which is odd because I used to be a person who could sit and enjoy nature ... then I just got so busy with life, raising my family ... now that I'm retired, I'm busy trying to keep busy ... trying to justify my existence ... now that I'm unemployed, it's difficult to feel useful ...

I do have a beautiful rocking chair that I bought with my first paycheck in 1972 ... it's a bit dusty, sitting decoratively in one of the guest bedrooms ... if I HAD a porch, this rocker would be too nice to put out on a porch anyway ...

I used to sit in a leather office chair that rocked back and forth ... but it's been pushed aside, too, making way for a new, improved office chair that doesn't rock ...

I think I've gotta rethink my priorities ... maybe find a place for my rocker in the action part of my house! maybe all this process of being busy, trying to keep busy to impress people, to justify my life ... maybe that's over-rated ... I think I just haven't figured out what it is that retired people do ... maybe they get them a good rocking chair?

ohenryx
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2011 12:51:37 PM

Tunguska2010:
At least around here, it's too hot to sit outside.

God help us all, that has certainly been true this summer.

But.... eventually it will get cool again. I have faith. Come October or November, there will be a cold front. Temperatures will plummet. We will be able to sit outside again without fear of heat stroke.

And who knows, it might even rain again sometime.

On second thought, strike that last statement. The realist in me acknowledges that it will never rain again....
 TryAgan
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2011 2:58:13 AM
^^^
Great time for rocking around the Christmas tree.
 MsMicki
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2011 12:21:50 PM
Whicker rockers on the front porch to watch the sunrise.....or to just kick back in the shade in the evening. Last night sat and watched a heck of a lightning show, listening to the rain go "tink tink tink" on the tin roof! Better than a Xanax!!

Have a swing on an island in the middle of my pond....probably my favorite place in the world to sit! Listen to the waterfall and the frogs serenading each other, feed the fishies and totally forget about what is happening "out there".

And don't forget the Hammock on the back side of the pond.....nestled in the trees.
You can even lie in it when it's raining.
and if you're feeling creative and adventurous......you can even have sex in it!

After all the go-go-go during the day and early evening.....it's nice to chillax.
Even better with friends enjoying those rockers and swings.
 Sunsunsun4
Msg: 84
Posted: 8/14/2011 8:52:51 PM
You know what would scare me? Someone who spends all day sitting on their yoga ball, tightening their abs. That is high, high maintenance. I say, get to the gym, go dancing---and also enjoy that rocking chair
 Natgoat
Msg: 85
Posted: 8/18/2011 10:04:22 PM
I quit having 'Birthdays' several years ago...
Activity is a family trait that is common to all of my siblings!
When I no longer feel the urge to play a round of Golf, play a couple hours of Hockey or an afternoon of Frisbee with a group of kids...
I'll be ready for that L o n g W a l k...that doesn't end....
Earlier this year, I celebrated the 21st Anniversary of turning 35...
I don't plan to get any older for a Long Time...!!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >