Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nightwatchman33
Msg: 43
Would you have a relationship outside your race?Page 2 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I personally just don't find many of the black women I see attractive to me. So I tend to date white and hispanic women. I've seen some beautiful asian and middle eastern women but most of the ones I met won't even consider it because of their strict families.

And that's their decision and that's fine too.
 MikeDownUnder
Msg: 44
Would you have a relationship outside your race?
Posted: 7/6/2012 11:41:12 PM

I don't understand the question, it does not compute.....
 MikeDownUnder
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/9/2012 2:14:33 AM
Are we talking about race or culture here?
 kmac6
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2012 2:23:15 AM
The question was about RACE... I have no isssues with that but certain cultural and strictly religious ones I may well have. It would be something that I would have to weigh up on an individual basis.
 GuessWhat1964
Msg: 51
Posted: 7/10/2012 5:48:28 AM
MikeDownUnder wrote:

I don't understand the question, it does not compute.....

and also:

Are we talking about race or culture here?

Mike, the question is asking would you date someone who was not of the same race as yourself. For example, would a white Anglo Saxon date an Afro-American. The issues of culture and acceptance of a different skin colour into your family and community are issues being considered. So is personal taste and attraction.

I hope this has helped you. Please private message me if you need anymore clarification.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2012 7:24:01 AM

Perhaps huge cultural, political, or religious, differences might be problematic depending on the motivation of the two people concerned.
But it's not possible to "have a relationship outside your race", since there is only one.
 gingerosity
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2012 8:12:35 AM

But it's not possible to "have a relationship outside your race", since there is only one.

Is it that there is definitely just one race, or that we just don't have any objective reason to choose the particular division of genetic diversity in the way that leads to traditional 'races'? Didn't Witherspoon et al. say that the result of any such 'racial' study would depend on the way the variously sampled genetic information is applied to the population groups studied, with anything possible from one 'race' to multitudes of individual family 'races' depending on the arbitrary dilineation of 'clusters' in the sample population...?

Regardless of the problem of objective scientific measurement, wouldn't it depend on your definition of 'race' such that if it were a mere subjective and relative description like 'tall' or 'short' then groupings of arbitrary 'clusters' loosly matching traditional 'racial' delineation may still be a useable social description (though not necessarily an objective scientific description)? Perhaps the term is used in the former sense in the phrase "have a relationship outside your race" and is yet valid for this purpose as a linguistic tool.

For example, to say that a missing person is of 'middle-eastern appearance' may not be scientifically correct, but still communicates the approximate subjective idea in a couple of words what would otherwise take many sentences to describe.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2012 2:19:50 AM

Is it that there is definitely just one race, or that we just don't have any objective reason to choose the particular division of genetic diversity in the way that leads to traditional 'races'? Didn't Witherspoon et al. say that the result of any such 'racial' study would depend on the way the variously sampled genetic information is applied to the population groups studied, with anything possible from one 'race' to multitudes of individual family 'races' depending on the arbitrary dilineation of 'clusters' in the sample population...?

Sure, which kind of undermines the concept to the point of meaninglessness, hence their advice to be cautious in interpretations (and labeling) of allegedly genetically related 'population groups'. Witherspoon et.al. went further though and pointed out that regardless of whatever arbitrary boundaries are applied there will be significant numbers of any one group who will be more dissimilar (genetically) to members of their own 'group' than they might be to a member, or members, of any other group. Which kind of undermines the concept of 'group'.

Regardless of the problem of objective scientific measurement, wouldn't it depend on your definition of 'race' such that if it were a mere subjective and relative description like 'tall' or 'short' then groupings of arbitrary 'clusters' loosly matching traditional 'racial' delineation may still be a useable social description (though not necessarily an objective scientific description)? Perhaps the term is used in the former sense in the phrase "have a relationship outside your race" and is yet valid for this purpose as a linguistic tool.

The only validity the term has is as a "social description", a somewhat distasteful one considering its (fairly recent) origins and past uses.
I don't agree that that confers linguistic validity though, it seems more an incorrect usage than a correct one since there is a dissonance in (capital L) linguistic terms between the beginning of the thread title sentence and the end.
Not only are such (negative) connotations missing from words like 'tall' or 'short', those two words do actually have meaning, albeit relative and subjective.
Definitions are key here, and while none (of taxonomic value) is generally forthcoming for 'race' (as applied to homo sapiens), it is possible to create definitions of 'tall' and 'short' by plotting population groups on a graph - the likely outcome is the familiar 'bell curve' - illustrating no particular boundaries (other than upper and lower limits) and that most people are (inevitably) pretty average.

For example, to say that a missing person is of 'middle-eastern appearance' may not be scientifically correct, but still communicates the approximate subjective idea in a couple of words what would otherwise take many sentences to describe.

To say that someone is of "middle-eastern appearance" is not necessarily a 'racial' description - it describes apparent ethnicity - one should be aware though that appearances can be deceiving.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Jean_Charles_de_Menezes
 MikeDownUnder
Msg: 55
Posted: 7/11/2012 4:19:32 AM

Mike, the question is asking would you date someone who was not of the same race as yourself. For example, would a white Anglo Saxon date an Afro-American. The issues of culture and acceptance of a different skin colour into your family and community are issues being considered. So is personal taste and attraction.

Race often gets confused with culture... they are not the same thing.
 foxboroughhottubs
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2012 5:13:44 AM
Sorry guys n dolls ... I am gonna have to play the Bill n Ted card yet again

" Treat each other most excellently, Dudes " ..... Man that just fits everywhere dont it ?
 kmac6
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2012 4:18:23 PM
Just wish it were true buddy. :)
 kmac6
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2012 4:57:53 PM
Yes just look at the Cruises for putting it out there publicly.. Personally I like to be accepted for who I am.
 GuessWhat1964
Msg: 60
Posted: 7/16/2012 11:28:02 PM
HappyRocker wrote:

How about outside your own species...

Do you remember that series from the 70's called "Lassie?" I reckon that collie with a dash of cherry red lip gloss and some eye liner......
 gingerosity
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2012 2:16:25 AM
Shakespeare had some interesting comments to make on this question...

Haply, for I am black,
And have not those soft parts of conversation
That chambers have, or for I am declin'd
Into the vale of years (yet that's not much),
She's gone. I am abus'd, and my relief
Must be to loathe her. O curse of marriage!

Othello Act 3, scene 3, 263–268

Of course none of these doubts are true, but are all fabricated by Iago to prey on Othellos emotional and logical weaknesses.
 GuessWhat1964
Msg: 63
Posted: 7/20/2012 7:03:46 PM
After all is said and done, it's not even about race. It's about the accepted behaviour of the culture. What is acceptable to and normal to some is not always to others. So imagine you bring home an aborigine to show of to mum and dad. Generally speaking when you enter into a relationship with someone, you are taking into that relationship their extended family, and social circle.

If you are okay with a tribe of inlaws roasting a goanna on your living room floor and asking your mummy and daddy for smokes or money to by beer...then all the power to you.
 GuessWhat1964
Msg: 64
Posted: 7/20/2012 7:50:16 PM
Effie wrote:

Way to play to 'stereotypes' GuessWhat...

Culturally as a country, I think most people have evolved a little further than that--

Race is not as big an issue for me, as someone being closed minded or bigoted

Yes I hear what you're saying. I regret all those times I have been called a "white c##t" because I refused to give a total stranger a cigarrete or money for alcohol. Just calling me the latter would have been fine...I already know I'm white.

A family friend which we have known for decades married a Philippino woman. Next you know, the relatives are being imported from the Philippines one after the other, year after year, until over two dozen have arrived to date. And take a wild guess who they lived with and who sponsored them while they were getting started. And yes he had a huge greasy mark on his carpet as the whole clan used to put their food on the floor and share it communally. Appears attracting new cultures also attracts home renovations.

And Effie...its only stereotyping and generalizing if it isn't true. When it is true, it's called an "observation."

BTW....what's a cutie like you doing in a place like this....on a Saturday afternoon I mean ?
 lyingcheat
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2012 11:15:12 PM

....its only stereotyping and generalizing if it isn't true. When it is true, it's called an "observation."

And when it's an alleged personal anecdote or made up apocryphal story designed to confirm a pre-existing bias it's called laughable.
 GuessWhat1964
Msg: 66
Posted: 7/21/2012 12:06:56 AM
^^^

I guessed by your big words that you only had a high school education. What people won't do to compensate lol

People with uni degrees, who are doctors, lawyers and accountants etc....don't need big words to impress people.

You need to study up on effective communication techniques. Google it.
 gingerosity
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2012 12:14:29 AM

it's an alleged personal anecdote or made up apocryphal story designed to confirm a pre-existing bias

I think that was what the bard was getting at; when convinced of something, evidence that supports it is emphasised in our brains while evidence that refutes it is down-played or ignored. Our subjective impressions will often be wide of the mark unless deliberate effort is made to objectively analyse the data.
 GuessWhat1964
Msg: 68
Posted: 7/21/2012 12:20:39 AM
Fellas...sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

I'd rather ask a five year old to butter a piece of bread for me than an academic.

Nice to see you again ginger. These forums are getting very quiet.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2012 12:40:57 AM

I guessed by your big words that you only had a high school education. What people won't do to compensate lol

lol is right. None of the 'big' words I used were as 'big' as the words of yours I quoted. So by your own criteria, if someone is 'compensating' for something - it must be you hey?

People with uni degrees, who are doctors, lawyers and accountants etc....don't need big words to impress people.

You need to study up on effective communication techniques. Google it.

People who can argue effectively have no need to resort to limp ad hominems.

You need to study up on how to argue rationally. I Googled a page to start you off - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases

I'd rather ask a five year old to butter a piece of bread for me than an academic.

Huh?
 GuessWhat1964
Msg: 70
Posted: 7/21/2012 12:57:12 AM
^^^^^^^^

This is just getting better and better. You referenced Wikipedia....OMG ...roll on the floor laughing. That was a big no no at uni, for the obvious reasons...but its okay, you have no reason to know that.

Huh?

I didn't think you'd get it. But it's okay...ginger will come on soon and explain it to you using smaller words.
 gingerosity
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2012 1:05:31 AM
Have we agreed a definition of 'race' yet? I can't really see how we can answer the question otherwise.

None of the 'big' words I used were as 'big' as the words of yours I quoted

If I don't use big words as often as I can, I'll forget them and then it's all down hill from there... might as well go watch big brother re-runs.

People who can argue effectively have no need to resort to limp ad hominems.

I did wonder what was the erectile dysfunction miracle cure alluded to in various spam emails. Is there anything arguing can't do?!

Hang on, shouldn't we find out what 'race' these prospective bread butterers identify as before choosing which one to take to the next level?
 lyingcheat
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2012 1:54:29 AM

This is just getting better and better.

Indeed. Though some might say worse and worse.

You referenced Wikipedia....OMG ...roll on the floor laughing. That was a big no no at uni, for the obvious reasons...but its okay, you have no reason to know that.

Whether I know, or not, is irrelevant since posts in the forum aren't academic papers and POF isn't a university. What you are doing, still, is using vague ad hominems to avoid the point while slipping in, perhaps compensatory, references to your alleged 'education'.

Huh?

I didn't think you'd get it. But it's okay...ginger will come on soon and explain it to you using smaller words.

You made the statement. You explain it.
It's a simple concept.

Have we agreed a definition of 'race' yet? I can't really see how we can answer the question otherwise.

I agree. It's for those who make the claim to support it with evidence, and the first step is defining what the claim actually is.
So if 'races' of homo sapiens allegedly exist that one might, or might not, want to 'relate' to - what defines this alleged 'racial' difference?

Are we talking about folk taxonomy, social construct, or just plain old bigotry? Cultural difference? Insularity? Xenophobia? Or perhaps just rigid intolerance combined with a generalised tendency toward irrational responses to any question?
 gingerosity
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2012 2:34:26 AM
Well in the absence of the OP, hopefully GuessWhat can help us with a definition of race, since you are the origin of the current cigar claims.

In England (and therefore in our Australia's imported culture), it was only after 1600 that Liz the first suddenly decided that multiculturalism was bad. Previously England was largely egalitarian.

The queen is discontented at the great numbers of 'negars and blackamoores' which are crept into the realm since the troubles between her Highness and the King of Spain, and are fostered here to the annoyance of her own people.

Sir William Cecil, Chief Advisor to Liz mk1

Shortly thereafter pressure was applied to merchant navies to repatriate them to Barbary (North Africa). Perhaps this period is the origin of the modern use of the term 'race' in British/Australian culture as a differentiation between the 'native' English and the incoming African refugees?

But if that were so then wouldn't a continental European also be a different race to the English? This is the confusing part, because it doesn't seem to work like that.
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  >