Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Take back control of our taxesPage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

If a year was picked to withold taxes as a form of protest would you do it?
No, this is illegal and I would not participate in such an action.

What do you think would happen?
The few people that did do this would be made an example of by the governing agencies.

And what would you request be done with your taxed money?
You already have this say with your vote and your right to lobby/protest in a peaceful fashion.

In your post, you've lost sight of the fact that the people making the decisions are those that have been elected by you... the people. I'm more likely to be part of a legal protest than to take part in something of this nature...
 Strings6
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Take back control of our taxes
Posted: 11/21/2009 5:33:18 AM
Op as you can see the spirit that founded the nation is long gone and we will be taxed to death on the naive notions of those who have lost sight of the fact that elections no longer matter and that people from D.C to downtown are going to do exactly what they want to...stop or i'll vote!!! is wishful silliness
 Twill348
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2009 7:36:10 AM
"In your post, you've lost sight of the fact that the people making the decisions are those that have been elected by you... the people. I'm more likely to be part of a legal protest than to take part in something of this nature..."

Wrong on so many levels.

For instance: "In your post, you've lost sight of the fact that the the King is your appointed Sovereign, and therefore, your Godly ruler...over the people. I'm more likely to be part of a legal protest than to take part in something of this nature...

I'm sure you were a big help during the revolution!

"Legal" only gets you so far. The ratification of the Us Constitution, for instance, was an illegal act, punishable by death.

The elections are rigged, the laws oppress rather than help. Do you really think the powers that be will just stand aside while you take away their rice bowl? There comes a time, when violence is the only option, and overthrow is the only thing that can work.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2009 7:59:23 AM

The elections are rigged
At reading this little conspiracy theory remark... I've dismissed your entire post and blather...
 earthlingsRevenge
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/21/2009 8:23:26 AM
OP, you are onto something.
The way tax money are wasted should cause serious angers in public. Here is an example how tax money is used for bribing.

The health bill is now in senate. Democrats need 60 votes to seal the deal for ever. There are already 60 democrats in the senate. But 2 democrats from the SOUTH , one from Louisiana and the from Arkansas, are refusing to vote for the bill mostly because they will be facing election next year. The last time I heard these 2 democratic senators will be offered $100 million each for their pet projects in their states. In other words, democrats are buying their votes with our tax money.

Now I guess even the cows in Louisiana and Arkansas will be living in 5 star hotels.

Lint may pay his taxes, who cares, but even if 50% of the tax payers stop paying taxes for just 1 year, our government will listen to us.

Strings6
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2009 11:11:15 AM
So much ignorance,so little time...anyone who thinks the current tax laws are fair and just that the money is being spent wisely should be taxed at a 99.9 % tax rate as a penalty for being foolish enough top beleive such nonsense....call it an idiot tax....most of them are sucking the public tits inj one way or another or just have enough money and it doesn't matter
 Ezzee
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/21/2009 2:15:02 PM
I don't agree with every way my tax dollar is spent, but I am willing to accept the bad spending with the good and work to change the way the bad tax dollars are spent.

When it comes down to it, there are two thoughts in regards to this entire issue.

My first thought is that those people who complain about taxes being too high or about being taxed at all are the same people who complain about potholes in the streets, the educational shortcomings are country is currently seeing, and that "important" services such as police and fire services may be cut because there isn't enough money, especially in the current economic environment.

My second thought is one of my favorite quotations by Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. "Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society."
 Strings6
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2009 3:43:33 PM
Here's a third thought...the idea that taxes only pay for services like roads,police,education ect is just about as stupid as beleiving we can borrow and spend our way to prosperity....Mr Holmes words have to do with civilization,not corruption,waste and outright theft...not to mention a permanant underclass created to assure long political careers.I wish the big daddy government's got it all under control crowd would come up with more creative arguements.....here's a quote "you can't fix stupid" which should include guilable as well as naive.
 Strings6
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2009 4:38:50 AM
Wudger...that is a stupid question,but from the source it is to be expected...taxes have been an issue for a long time and the closer they get to taking everything the more of an issue it will be...you see Wudger some people like to keep what they earn with the understanding that it takes a certain amount to fund the legitimate functions of government,they are not stupid and gullible enough(an extra L for you) to beleive that it takes most of what people earn.
The current level of waste and corruption and overspending is going to destroy us....ever heard of math Wudger...here's how it works...you can subtract 2 from 3 and have some left over ...2 minus 3 doesn't work....and billion is smaller than triliion,and claiming that you have to spend to save is something that only an idiot would beleive.The Louisiana purchase is on the front page at Drudge Wudger
 Ezzee
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/22/2009 7:37:15 AM

some people like to keep what they earn with the understanding that it takes a certain amount to fund the legitimate functions of government,

And that is what this debate really boils down to. It's a debate that has been debated for millenniums. Exactly what are the "legitimate functions of government."

Once everyone can agree on what the "legitimate functions of government" are, then we can decide on how they can be funded.

However, I have to admit, that as a political scientist, I have more hope in seeing a treaty between the United Federation of Planets and the Romulans than I do of having everyone agreeing on what the "legitimate functions of government" are.
 geeleebee
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/22/2009 9:59:55 AM

The function of government has to be agreed upon. As well as what are the BASIC requirements of a successful civilization.

Read the Constitution of the United States, recently?
It contains the agreement for the functions of government.

What you're talking about is changing the functions of government--most likely 'cuz you're pissed off about paying taxes.
No one I know likes to pay taxes, but we all like to drive on paved roadways, we all like to send our children to public schools, we like having a police force and fire department.

There are now laws in place that do the opposite and violate peoples human right to life and freedom. ie: marijuana does not hurt anyone, driving without a seatbelt doesn't hurt anyone (but that's another thread I think). The laws we have to enforce rules which do not harm others cost us alot of money as taxpayers.

Are you for frickin' real?

Read about the toxins in marijuana--want to smoke a bowl? Go for it, but know what you're inhaling before you say it doesn't hurt anyone.
Ever been in an emergency room when they bring in someone who's been in an accident and WASN'T wearing a seatbelt?
Visit the morgue--they'll show you what happens when you don't wear your seatbelt.

Don't wear your seatbelt--get into an accident--go to the ER--stay in the hospital--costs what? Thousands of dollars--no insurance? Gosh, too bad, 'cuz now WE have to pick up the tab.

...can we change our mind? Elect to govern ourselves?

Ever read a history book?
What you're talking about is anarchy--no laws, 'cuz I'm not going to agree with your idea of 'what's fair', and you aren't going to agree with mine.

As has been pointed out several times, VOTE.
Don't like what your elected representatives are doing?
Contact them--VOTE them out the next time.
Campaign for the other guy.
Protest--it's very American, you know.

But, seriously, educate yourself about the functions of government and your role in the that government.
 earthlingsRevenge
Msg: 29
Posted: 11/22/2009 10:00:51 AM
Stop paying too mcuh (look, what happens when one tries to type fast, and i didn't correct it to show you an example) attention to spelling or typo. It's the message that's important nor (i did not correct it to 'not') the messenger.

Now back to the taxes. That $100 mill bribe was not an online news, it was on a radio news I heard Friday night. Obviously majority of people in this 2 states do not want health care as proposed by senate, these 2 senators will be going against the wishes of their states. Proving my point 'political votes/elections are just shows to legitimize politicians crimes'.

BTW, it's not only liberals who think 'corporations' have too much power, as an independent I am also against corporation getting too big. I think Anti Trust Law is a law of the past, it's not being applied to corporation these days. Because of this some corporations have become so large, they can buy a whole first world country. If we had used anti trust law more forcefully we would not now be hearing a garbage like "It's too big to fail".

Finally taxation, IMO, would be a little bit more rational if we, the tax payers, had a say in how our tax money should be spent. Only thing IRS form has is "do you want to contribute $1 to presidential election campaign?" Hell NO. Instead they should have an additional form that asks us where (such as education, transportation, nasa,...etc) we want our tax money be spent.

One more thing, I have no kids but I'm paying taxes for local schools year after year, and it seems like they are doubling every year.
 Strings6
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2009 11:05:53 AM
Wudger...go to drudgereport.com and that is what they are calling it...since you are such a great little speller i'm sure you'll get it right.

Geeleebee...paved roads ? police and fire dept ? that's all you think taxes pay for ?...thanks to Wudger i know how to spell gullible and thanks to you i know who is.
 hard starboard
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2009 11:13:35 AM
You don’t have to pay taxes... “our system is a voluntary system”. I heard Harry Reid say so himself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7mRSI8yWwg

you don't have to spell it, just post a link to a reference.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091120/ap_on_bi_ge/us_health_care_overhaul
While you won’t actually find the word “bribe” in that article (that would be politically incorrect for mainstream news), it is “indisputable” that anyone with an i.q. over 60 can see it for what it is.
 geeleebee
Msg: 32
Posted: 11/22/2009 11:14:08 AM

Geeleebee...paved roads ? police and fire dept ? that's all you think taxes pay for ?...thanks to Wudger i know how to spell gullible and thanks to you i know who is.

Oh, for crap's sake.
Did I say, 'This is ALL our taxes pay for'?
Did I say, 'These are the ONLY things our tax money goes to'?

Duh.
No.

Along with 'gullible', you might want to look up the definition for 'obtuse'.
 hard starboard
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2009 4:20:37 PM
Reality Check, Jimmy... Diana Lee is just stating her own partisan biased opinion. A link doesn't add any validity to it. You might as well just tell us yours.

Withholding paying taxes is a bad idea. The way to take back control of your taxes is at the election booth.
 geeleebee
Msg: 46
Posted: 11/26/2009 10:09:40 AM

...increasing troop levels now in Afghanistan. I oppose him on that completely and would say so publicly, at any rally, or to his face. It's a huge mistake. I agree that there should be protests and such, anti-war protests for example; because if not, then it is a glaring hypocrisy on the part of the liberals in so far as they know damn well that if McCain had won and was now increasing troop levels in Afghanistan they'd be out in force on the streets...

I agree with this ^^^.
It's time to pull out of Afghanistan--we'll never 'win' in the sense that the Taliban will be defeated, never to be seen or heard from again.

The issue of Afghanistan is something Obama campaigned on, to focus on Afghanistan--so it isn't so much hypocrisy that the Left isn't protesting, as it is the acceptance that Obama is fulfilling that declaration. We knew that he would be sending troops into Afghanistan--no one is pretending otherwise.

Personally, I believe that Afghanistan is a lost cause--our troops need to be brought home, and the people of Afghanistan need to decide how to run their government without our soldiers being present.
 hard starboard
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2009 7:45:55 AM

If a large number of people stopped paying taxes at the same time.

This might work for self employed people but not if you are employed and the bulk of the taxes are taken from your paycheck before you receive it. It would be very hard to get employers to go along with this.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2009 1:24:28 PM
clearlykat, who clearly under the influence of 'shrooms, wrote:
Does it make any difference that neither Carrington Automotive nor the so called owner that wrote this email don't exist? Because they don't.

Actually, NO!
If you had not been inebriated, either by 'shrooms, or the opiates distributed by the current democrat party, you would have understood that the story about Carrington Auto was a modern parable, a tale of our times, and the effect that current idiotic policies will have and should have on the employers and employees of this nation. the author of the piece, if I am correct, was none other than Neal Boortz.

Now that your half truth and complete lie have been set aside, I urge you to slink back in to the manure cart you crawled out of.

TK
 merelymortal
Msg: 66
Posted: 7/4/2010 3:06:13 AM
I don't know yet why Republicans are upset by healthcare reform... how much has it costed compared to Iraq and Afghanistan?

People who complain about taxes never turn away Social Security or Medicare... WTF?

We have low taxes, get over it, they need to go up...

if you really cared about the deficit you would talk about austerity, not tax cuts...
 rpl55
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2010 1:35:56 PM
indigodream said:

I've noticed many are not happy with the way our taxed money is being used.

I am assuming that you are referring to federal income tax.

If so, you should know that all federal income taxes collected are used for one thing and one thing only - to service the national debt. Not a single penny of your income taxes goes to any governmental services.

Thought you'd like to know.

RPL
 merelymortal
Msg: 68
Posted: 7/4/2010 3:04:49 PM
I have a question FrankNStein902:
1. ECONOMIC IMPACT OF LOCAL BUSINESSES VS. CHAINS
The following studies have found that locally owned stores generate much greater benefits for the local economy than national chains.

Thinking Outside the Box: A Report on Independent Merchants and the Local Economy - by Civic Economics, September 2009

This study examined financial data from 15 locally owned businesses in New Orleans and compared their impact on the local economy to that of an average SuperTarget store. The study found that only 16% of the money spent at a SuperTarget stays in the local economy. In contrast, the local retailers returned more than 32% of their revenue to the local economy. The primary difference was that the local stores purchase many goods and services from other local businesses, while Target does not. The study concludes that even modest shifts in spending patterns can make a big difference to the local economy. If residents and visitors were to shift 10% of their spending from chains to local businesses, it would generate an additional $235 million a year in local economic activity, creating many new opportunities and jobs. Likewise, a 10% shift in the opposite direction - less spending at local stores and more at chains - would lead to an economic contraction of the same magnitude. Another noteworthy finding of the study is that locally owned businesses require far less land to produce an equivalent amount of economic activity. The study found that a four-block stretch of Magazine Street, a traditional business district, provides 179,000 square feet of retail space, hosts about 100 individual businesses, and generates $105 million in sales, with $34 million remaining in the local economy. In contrast, a 179,000-square-foot SuperTarget generates $50 million in annual sales, with just $8 million remaining in the local economy, and requires an additional 300,000 square feet of space for its parking lot. See our New Rules article for more background on this study.

Wouldn't this mean that big boxes are better at wealth distribution on a national scale... and that small businesses are better at distribution on a local scale? That they are different tools... to be used for different purposes?

Thats what the info in your post said to me anyway.
 .dej
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2010 11:58:06 PM

No, this is illegal and I would not participate in such an action.

Uh, some of the most admired social progressives used civil disobedience to achieve just ends. See: Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks.
 Imported_labor
Msg: 73
Posted: 9/29/2010 9:10:04 AM

Be careful about buying into this class warfare BS... The marxist agenda is a GLOBAL one. ..

This kind of discourse seems to be a bit outdated by 25 years +/-; at least we should say that it belonged in the 20th century.

Nowadays it is used by those that want to disguise the activities of the people who are enriching themselves by practicing class warfare against the lower classes. One just needs to remind himself/herself about the legal non-living minimum wages, the predatory credit lending rates, the widespread hiring of illegal aliens by the corporate powers along with the wholesale out-sourcing of jobs to other countries.

That is pure and unadulterated class warfare against the lower classes. I haven't heard much lately in terms of the lower classes organizing themselves to take over the power of government and assume control of the means of production. If you have, please share that info with us.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >