Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Oregon  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 2bornot2be2
Msg: 3
How do you people stand to live in Portland or any big city?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Humans are no different from other herd animals such as sheep and bovines. As such, they prefer to gather in "communities" with others of their kind.

Take Portland for example. One thing an outsider will eventually notice is how amazingly homozygous the residents are (white/educated/liberal/"weird"/drive Suburus). Can you say Baaaaaa?
 2bornot2be2
Msg: 6
How do you people stand to live in Portland or any big city?
Posted: 11/22/2009 11:40:51 AM
Let me preface this by saying that I do not consider myself liberal or conservative. I do not belong to any political party. I like to believe I can think for myself without the help of pundits, the popular press or whatever political philosophy happens to be in style at the moment. Having said that, if I had to describe my beliefs I'd say I'm something of a slightly left leaning libertarian...............kind of.

Once upon a time I worked to a government agency that regulated rare species in Oregon. As such, I spent a great deal of time in eastern Oregon. There I encountered many farmers and ranchers who expressed what Wild referred to. All and all I found most of these people to be hard working, decent people who actually care a great deal about the environment. But they are scared and frustrated with what they see as a government that does not understand or care about them. While I don't think that these ranchers and farmers are completely correct, they do have a valid arguement, and one that should be heard and taken seriously.

Would I divide the State of Oregon into two states, perhaps using the Cascades as the new border? I'm not sure. Perhaps "giving" the eastern half of Oregon to Idaho would be a better idea?
But then what about southern Oregon? I have also spent a great deal of time in places like Roseburg and Medford. They also have the same complaints. For many years there has been a movement to create the State Of Jefferson, which would include southwest Oregon and northern California. Is that a good idea? I'd like to hear others thoughts.
 sockknitter
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2009 2:30:57 PM
Be thankful that not everyone wants to live in the country and does wants to stay in Portland (or whatever metropolatin of their choice).

I was living in Canada in the bush for the last 9 years and recently moved back to Oregon. I am used to 'rush hour' being about 7 vehicles, my closest neighbor over a mile away... I was traumatized by the traffic I encountered on the I-205 bridge over the Columbia as I drove down in moving back to the States, when it took 2 hours to get 21 miles. I was seriously thinking ... "And why on Earth am I moving back down here?!" My newest nemesis is freight trains. I cannot be anywhere where I can hear them at night or I cannot sleep! I am used to owls and coyotes.. two beings that many people are afraid of and can't sleep for them.

I grew up in Wilsonville when there was only 1,200 people, I can hardly navigate around there now.

The 'big city' does offer perks, such as Portland Saturday Market, Powells and such, but for me myself, I do not know if I could handle living in such a tight space for a span of more than a handful of days. Then again, many people cannot understand how I could live in the bush alone in my cabin on my 40 acre farm, especially in the deep of winter, heated only by a woodstove.

Isn't it wonderful how there is so many diversified people in the world to make up all walks of life?

~ Sox
 sockknitter
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2009 10:37:12 AM
younowho said:
"Of Course Oregonian's can't drive ( rain/snow) they all moved here 4 yrs ago from L.A"....

*** I KNEW us TRUE Oregonians should have required 3 letters of recommendation, a secret handshake and various other safeguards to keep the Californian's out of our beloved state *wink*. For awhile there I was hoping that Concertina wire would be put up...

After having been up in the frozen Great White North for many years with a 2-wheel drive truck, I do know how to drive in inclimate weather these days. Black ice though? I will be staying at home with my feet up on the coffee table with a mug of hot cocoa in my hands.

~ Sox -- who is a 5th generation Oregonian
 2bornot2be2
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/24/2009 3:44:47 PM
I'm not sure comparing Portland to a small town is fair. This, because Portland is quite different from most other large cities. What makes it different? It's white.....as in uber-white.

I was once having a debate with a friend of mine, as to which major American city was the whitest. While I suspected Portland would be in the top three, I picked Salt Lake City. As it turned out, I was wrong. Portland is number one.

Portlanders like to say "Portland is the greatest city in the country" or "Portland has so much diversity." Similar to many of the profiles on this site, in which the people feel the need to outwardly describe their attributes, when in fact they are the opposite, so too are these descriptions of Portland.

But perhaps Portland is actually diverse and I'm not using the correct criteria? I suppose one could say that Portland has many types of people. There are short white people, tall white people, skinny white people, fat white people, white people with brown hair, white people with red hair, white people whose favorite color is red, white people whose favorite color is blue, white people who like to listen to rock music, white people who like to listen to the blues (who claim to understand the music because their 401K's are now worth less than they were a few years ago), young white people, old white people...........Portland is a regular vanilla United Nations!

I wonder sometimes why so many white people live in Portland, unlike every other American city? Why don't non-white people want to move here? Perhaps the worst form of racism is not the vocal, cross-burning type, but rather the subtle, liberal, unspoken type.
 kbodley
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2009 9:49:21 PM
The key, old "wild" is for each of us to find a plI ace that we love to live and are happy - and then figure out how to survive there!

It isn't a matter of which is 'better' but which fits each of us!

My niece (at age 13) asked her grandmother while visiting the ranch in South Dakota where the biggest 'town' was Glad Valley, population 23, "But if there are no malls where do people go to meet. How do they ever find the person they want to marry?"

I don't think it has anything to do with politics, or economic status. There are plenty of conservatives in Portland and Medford, and I think there are a few liberals in Burns and La Pine. I also don't think it has anything to do with values and character. The fact of the matter is that God made each of us with different molds. Some were clearly intended to feel hemmed in by 'big city' life, while others thrive in the comfort of their neighborhoods! Doesn't mean one is better than the other, just different strokes for different folks!
 MolderA
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2009 10:54:56 PM
I was born and raised in Portland, and only when i turned 13 did i move out here to Klamath Falls. I can tell you that while Klamath Falls, population 20,000 is certainly more quiet and peaceful, it also isnt better. Some people think the noise is bad in big cities, but just like you get use to sleeping to the noise of birds and distant trains in a small city, you get use to the bustling of cars and noise outside in a big city, and learn to fall asleep to both. When i first moved to KFalls, i couldnt get any sleep because it was way too quiet. Heck, even now i still sleep a lot better when there's noise outside. I can get into a deep sleep if there's a thunderstorm outside.

Sure, its beautiful out here, but there's also nothing to do. Its REALLY hard to meet people out here, and there's very few activities or places to go to meet people here. Whereas in a big city like portland, it probably takes all of 10 minutes to find something to do or someone to hang out with. The downside of course is its always less comfortable out on the streets at night, especially if you live somewhere like the rockwood area, lots of crime there.

Also, Portland in particular is NOT devoid of beautiful sites. Mount Hood is always visible and you have a vista of hills and forests in the distance, plus the river. Plus, going up on one of those hills and overlooking the city blending with the landscape is just as beautiful as anything else you'll see. I guess the best way to put it is you get use to wherever you are raised, but the benefit of big cities above all else is, in my experience, they are much more social and filled with life. I love that feeling of life that eminates from a city, as opposed to the relative lifelessness of small towns like the one i live in now.
 5dMikeii
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2009 2:48:12 AM
I completely disagree with Portlanders being all the same. I've lived in various parts of Oregon most of my life. Grew up in McMinnville, where everyone was conservative and white. Lived in Amity, another small white conservative town. Went to College in Eugene where everyone was liberal and white, like P-town was described earlier. Now that I live in Portland there is a diversity of thought, ethnicity, backgrounds, etc. that does not exist anywhere else in this state. I never had any black or hispanic friends before I moved to Portland. Any place I lived, they're weren't any, and having lived in those places, I don't blame them. I know plenty of conservatives in Portland just like plenty of liberals. The difference between the conservatives I know in Portland and the one's I encounter when I go back to visit family in McMinnville, is they actually encounter people in their daily lives with different viewpoints than themselves. They aren't as full of hate and fear as their small town conservative brethren. Of course, compared to places like New York, where there a LOT of immigrants, the diversity of Portland isn't much. But compared to any sleepy little do-nothing town in Oregon, Portland is much more diverse.

I've noticed that in Oregon, the liberal/conservative divide is often reflected in the Ducks/Beavers rivalry. Take the Civil War game. I went to a very lively downtown bar in Portland with a bunch of my fellow Duck alum. The bar was about half and half, and you could easily tell by who cheered when each side scored. In Portland, the rivalry was friendly. I didn't see any fights. I didn't even see anybody, from either team, being overtly disrespectful, spiteful, or violent. It was a remarkably fun night with none of the typical hickish angry testosterone-heavy brovado that is so commonplace in small towns. To digress for a moment, I remember one night years ago in McMinnville, I was beaten up in the parking lot of Sherri's because some hick's girlfriend had just broken up with him. I didn't know him or his girlfriend, but he was pissed off and I was there. That's all the reason he needed. Back to the Ducks/Beavers thing. I was just talking to a guy I know, a fellow Duck, who watched the game in Salem. Guess what happened when the Beavers lost? The bouncer had to stop a group of hicks from roughing him up.

That's why I like the city. People treat people with respect and dignity. People, liberal and conservative, tolerate those that are different from them, they don't try to beat them up.
 MolderA
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2009 2:56:11 AM

I completely disagree with Portlanders being all the same. I've lived in various parts of Oregon most of my life. Grew up in McMinnville, where everyone was conservative and white. Lived in Amity, another small white conservative town. Went to College in Eugene where everyone was liberal and white, like P-town was described earlier. Now that I live in Portland there is a diversity of thought, ethnicity, backgrounds, etc. that does not exist anywhere else in this state. I never had any black or hispanic friends before I moved to Portland. Any place I lived, they're weren't any, and having lived in those places, I don't blame them. I know plenty of conservatives in Portland just like plenty of liberals. The difference between the conservatives I know in Portland and the one's I encounter when I go back to visit family in McMinnville, is they actually encounter people in their daily lives with different viewpoints than themselves. They aren't as full of hate and fear as their small town conservative brethren. Of course, compared to places like New York, where there a LOT of immigrants, the diversity of Portland isn't much. But compared to any sleepy little do-nothing town in Oregon, Portland is much more diverse.

I've noticed that in Oregon, the liberal/conservative divide is often reflected in the Ducks/Beavers rivalry. Take the Civil War game. I went to a very lively downtown bar in Portland with a bunch of my fellow Duck alum. The bar was about half and half, and you could easily tell by who cheered when each side scored. In Portland, the rivalry was friendly. I didn't see any fights. I didn't even see anybody, from either team, being overtly disrespectful, spiteful, or violent. It was a remarkably fun night with none of the typical hickish angry testosterone-heavy brovado that is so commonplace in small towns. To digress for a moment, I remember one night years ago in McMinnville, I was beaten up in the parking lot of Sherri's because some hick's girlfriend had just broken up with him. I didn't know him or his girlfriend, but he was pissed off and I was there. That's all the reason he needed. Back to the Ducks/Beavers thing. I was just talking to a guy I know, a fellow Duck, who watched the game in Salem. Guess what happened when the Beavers lost? The bouncer had to stop a group of hicks from roughing him up.

That's why I like the city. People treat people with respect and dignity. People, liberal and conservative, tolerate those that are different from them, they don't try to beat them up.

I agree completely. I was born and raised in portland and i still grew up a pretty far right guy (although i'm pretty libertarian now, atleast in a political sense, my personal beliefs are still prety right winger). One advantage to living in a politically diverse area is your counter-arguments are always sharp as hell. Cause if you are a political person, you're always testing your beliefs against others. Its like sharpening a knife or a wolf keeping his teeth sharp. You know what arguments work and which ones dont, and you're probably always double checking at home so you dont come off as an idiot.

After spending so much time here in KFalls, a lot of my arguments fall short or are out of date because i dont get into many debates out here, and when anyone is talking politics its usually just a bunch of right wingers telling eachother they're right and going "hell yeah". That doesnt provoke critical thinking.

And Portland is definetly more ethnicly diverse. Which is nice. Growing up there, i never formed any prejudice. I had plenty of black, and hispanic best friends growing up. When you grow up like that, you tend to get a little colorblind as far as race is concerned. I feel weird out here in KFalls, almost completely white with a small hispanic population and one black guy.
 brianmartin
Msg: 26
Posted: 1/1/2010 10:59:21 PM
By living in PDX I sacrifice many things I feel are truly important in life, such as being close to the land, peace, quiet, animals, tranquility. But I live here mainly because I want to get an education. After that I'm buying a new fly rod and going wherever the biggest fish are.
 Heizer
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2010 12:31:20 AM
I'm with outdoorguy.

If you gay liberal city-slickers would stop legislating how we use our land, maybe we country folk could enjoy the full beauty and majesty of our property. We own it. Bought it fair and square.

And I don't know how you all can stand living in Portland with all them homosexuals and people with crazy ideas. Like recycling. What a crock. It's a conspiracy by the democratz to bring down the glass and aluminum industrees. Wake up, dummies.

And if God wanted us all to be equal he'd have made us all white men. There's a reason he didn't, you know. White men needed people to do stuff for them.

I'll take the quiet of the country, thank you very much. People just cause too much drama. The soft and innocent sheep never want equal pay or rights. They take what they got cummin' to them as they was bred to. You people would be better off if you were more like them sheep. Wait...I forgot, you are. You all drank the Obama kool-aid.
He's been in office one year and he ain't even started one war yet. How is the world gonna' get better if we don't show them the power of our democracy?

This stream is majestical the way it flows by my window where I sit on the internets all day. If you fools could get in touch with this kind of living you'd know how wrong everything you do is.
 Gemguy
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2010 12:29:01 AM
Delurk/

Heizer, Wildoutdoor, etc.,
While I can't speak for anyone but myself, I can speak as one of those folks that live in a large city. I should inform you gents about a few facts.

Fact one: Not everyone likes the land use laws as they pertain to us either (in the city). I know several folks that have owned various large parcels of land close to PDX and have very little luck in getting the best use/ highest value out of their property. Not only does the LCDC affect them, but the county and city ordinances do too. You don't have to be a large parcel landowner to get messed with either. In a couple of suburbs a home owner that wants to, say, add exterior flood lights is required to have a electrical contractor come in and do at least part of the install for it to be "legal". We need less in the way of laws, not more. They're very well intentioned to make "everything" safer, more fair. Sadly - they only really succeed in illustrating the phrase " The road to Hell is paved with good intentions".
Fact two: All us us "gay-liberal-city-slickers" that you don't seem to appreciate are the actual people that help pay for YOUR lifestyle. That's right, we pay far more into Oregon's general fund than any other part of the state. Perhaps you ought to get off your lazy redneck inbred butt out of your white trash trailer and start working at a job or business that ACTUALLY pays your way. Then you can ****. Oh, and if you want to squeal about laws on "public lands" remember that those of us that live in the cities own the "public lands" just as much as you do. We live in a representative republic, so get out and vote.
Oh and Heizer, you know what I find funny? You talk about the "quiet country life" and "people just cause too much drama" and yet you seem real interested in what people do in the privacy of their homes. I live in an apartment and I don't give a rip about what color my neighbors might be or what they might be doing behind closed doors. I'm just thinking that you probably utter "You got a pretty mouth" far too much. You really ought to consider getting your own life, just a suggestion.
I'd like to spend more time in the rural parts of Oregon, hiking, fishing, shooting, biking and rockhounding. Too bad I have to spend as much time as I do wondering why so many rural homes seem to include several dead cars, a couple of old appliances and other trash as landscaping. Hell, I never used to carry a handgun into the woods until a had bad encounter with a couple of "locals" out in the coast range about twenty years ago. There are parts of rural southern Oregon that I won't go into because of the "locals" that grow weed and have armed illegals working for them. Oh, you have to love the country!
Gemguy

Relurk/
 Heizer
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2010 1:21:19 AM
Guess my sarcasm didn't come across...:)
 Gemguy
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2010 11:30:16 PM
/Delurk/
[Guess my sarcasm didn't come across...:)]
Way over my head... Apparently others did though.

/Relurk/
Show ALL Forums  > Oregon  >