Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 justinakrfc
Msg: 42
Strategies to avoid Holiday weight gain?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

I have found that I cannot eat as much as I used to. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't eat a full plate of food. Let alone get seconds. So, I choose the foods I REALLY want to eat at dinner and enjoy that.

I found that was so true yesterday. I got a plate of food and it was enjoyable, but I found that by the end, I just couldn't go up for seconds. I think it's true, that, when you lose weight, your stomach shrinks. You just can't jam in as much as you used to, lol. The food tastes better too when you take your time (though I did manage a small slice of ice cream pumpkin pie).
 Malice From Wonderland
Msg: 43
Strategies to avoid Holiday weight gain?
Posted: 11/27/2009 4:23:20 AM
I did the same thing I do every day. 6 small meals and NO cheating. I even went to the gym (ours is open every day of the year thank God). I only see Holidays as excuses for people (not that they need one but it gives them more of a reason to pig out).
 ImJayZee
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2009 6:36:27 PM
Nothing wrong with pigging out for one meal on a holiday, just make up for it beforehand, not after like most try to do. During October, November and December, eat slightly smaller meals(clean ones), while strength training of course, to cause fat loss. When you pig out on Thanksgiving and Christmas, you won't be at a higher bodyweight than when you started because your weight loss will have offset it.
 smartypants24
Msg: 46
Posted: 11/28/2009 8:39:24 PM
I count calories like a demon...and on certain days (special occasions, holidays etc) I allow myself to eat to my maintenance level on ONE day only, and go back to my dieting level the next day.
 el lagarto
Msg: 52
Posted: 12/2/2009 2:57:53 PM
This works pretty well for me : I indulge without guilt. But if I have a heavy eating event , the next day I eat very lightly - mostly fruits and veggies and lots of water .
And though I usually work out daily , I may add a few extra workouts to the mix.

It still takes some will power and dedication though - as given free reign , I could eat all those fancy home made baked goods and candies non-stop !!! My major weakness !

But I heard this line once , and it stuck with me :

" NOTHING tastes as good as thin LOOKS !!!! "
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2013 7:57:17 AM
Bumped for the hollidays

You have Thanksgiving ( one day)

You have Christmas ( one day)

You have New Years Eve ( one day/night)

If you remember its JUST 3 days , then enjoy yourself those 3 days/night.

Also you may want to just eat your absolute favs ( my way of doing it).
Dont eat macaroni and cheese if you dont love it just because it's there.
I would rather have half of a key lime pie or huge serving of green bean casserole over the course of the day than waste my splurge on cranberry sauce, mac and cheese, Bar B Que, ham and dressing when I don't like it.

You can get around things without being rude.
You can put a bit on your plate then ditch it if its a walk about buffet and say nothing.

Most people are not having as many formal sit downs these days and its easier NOT to hurt someones feeling.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 54
Posted: 11/21/2013 10:38:39 AM
I like to focus on the people in the room, rather than the food. For me while the food is good, it's a backdrop to being around the people I care about. Now the wine? That's another story! Ha
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 55
Posted: 11/21/2013 6:36:26 PM
pass on the shortbread. solved.
 April1963
Msg: 56
Posted: 11/21/2013 7:29:01 PM
Eat everything you want at lunch ,eat until you feel full and satisfied,then DO NOT eat anything after 1: pm until the next day.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 57
Posted: 11/24/2013 5:52:54 PM
atyouhim- By not using the holiday as an excuse to change my eating habits.
Use smart portion control, eat slowly, chew your food thoroughly and continue to exercise.
Happy, and healthy, Thanksgiving to all :)
 satx78218
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2013 8:46:14 AM
LOOK: Can You Guess How Many Calories Are On Your Thanksgiving Plate?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/25/thanksgiving-calories_n_4298802.html
 Iseedudpeople
Msg: 59
Posted: 11/25/2013 9:15:02 AM

You have Thanksgiving ( one day)

You have Christmas ( one day)

You have New Years Eve ( one day/night)

This strategy wouldn't work for someone like myself because I like to enjoy the Xmas season by milking it to make it FEEL like Xmas for the entire month of December.

I do this by having the songs in the background, watching all the classic shows and indulging in foods I only eat in December.

BUT... moderation is MY strategy.

I might have a nibble of something here and there until about a few days before and during Xmas eve and day.

Egg nog is a naughty thing but it's one of those things that reminds me of Xmas as a child so I'll compromise by having the " light " kind and sip it slowly like wine OR I'll have the regular kind and mix it with skim milk.

I don't have a sweet tooth so chocolates, shortbread and mincemeat tarts are easy to resist ... except Turtles ! So, if a box of Turtles isn't around I'm fine.

As far as the main meal goes, we usually have :

chicken, I'll take a small amount of that,
gravy, take just enough to taste
brussel sprouts
cranberry jelly
stuffing .... I like to put these last two together when I scoop it up and I admit I am a bad boy when it comes to resisting. But hey, life is for living sometimes , lol

Ripple chips and onion dip is my worst indulgence but I only eat this on Xmas day.

Alcohol, I drink red wine instead of beer .

I think if you exercise and eat well throughout the rest of the year, indulging at Xmas time is ok. I'm not saying overdo it , just try to enjoy in moderation when possible and don't feel guilty about it.
 aanarchist
Msg: 60
Posted: 11/26/2013 12:14:01 PM
Fasting and drinking only water before the big meal, knowing you're gonna get all your calories later in the day. You might even lose a few lbs of fat doing that hehe. When my uncle comes and makes his super awesome sandwiches I make sure my stomachs been empty all day. Not so I dont get fat but so I can eat more of his goodies lol. Never gain a bad pound.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2013 3:03:25 AM
I personally would avoid a binge/binges.
If you have certain health issues it can be very dangerous.
Have a healthy breakfast and get in your fruits and veggies even on splurge/party days.

Take fiber supplements during the holidays 3 times a day if you have a lot of meals you would not normally eat.
If you are eating a lot of sweets then get in cinnamon and chromium picolinate in a multi to help lower the glycemic load on your body also.

Water down alcoholic beverages even if with ice.
 rosewood_girl
Msg: 62
Posted: 11/28/2013 10:01:10 PM
I don't eat leftovers, nor do I eat more than a plateful. I have one plateful, and then one slice of pie and then I'm done. If no one wants to eat the leftovers, I will give them to someone else. Might sound like a waste of food, but I lost a lot of weight, and I'm not letting carbs ruin it.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2013 1:29:41 AM

If no one wants to eat the leftovers, I will give them to someone else. Might sound like a waste of food, but I lost a lot of weight, and I'm not letting carbs ruin it.

^^^^^^^^
Good idea
Tell guest to bring empty Tupperware if hosting.
 busyBoy1991
Msg: 64
Posted: 11/29/2013 10:05:12 AM
I'm not necessarily sure that's a good idea. When you're hungry you should eat. Fasting until a big meal may seem like a good idea, but in reality your body will end up storing fat as a result. I'd suggest looking at the glycemic index of holiday foods. The index is nothing more than a measure of how much a certain foods will increase your insulin levels. Insulin is what converts sugar into fat.

Depending on your insulin resistance, you can kind of choose your proportions accordingly. Rule of thumb is you want to stay away from things that are very high on the glycemic chart. Good luck.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 65
Posted: 12/3/2013 2:32:03 PM
I weighed myself on the Monday before Thanksgiving and the Sunday after - TWO full Thanksgiving dinners plus leftovers in between - net result; +2 pounds.

There's no magic formula needed to understand a couple big meals of bad food is NOT the weight-gaining culprit - it's all the crap you make and have sitting around for weeks/months that gets 'nibbled' on constantly. Including High-carb leftovers, Chex Mix, Fruitcake, umpteen gallons of Eggnog and Hot Toddys, candy canes, mixed nuts, cookies... you get the picture. Pace yourself through the WHOLE holiday season - and stop thinking avoiding one big fat meal will 'save' you.

A huge amount of bad calories is in holiday drinks, so stick to water as often as possible... BUT don't deliberately stretch out your stomach drinking a couple gallons of H2O thinking THAT will curb your appetite - when it really makes it worse.
 traveltrekker
Msg: 66
Posted: 12/3/2013 3:17:34 PM
So what are some of your strategies to avoid putting on the holiday pounds?

Giving thanks for my fast metabolism.

4) Don’t go back for seconds.

More for me, then.

6) Small slice of pie for desert.

Only if there are several kinds of pie, since I will be sampling all of them.......apple, mince, pumpkin, pecan........

Happy Holidays !!
 Sunriseguy6
Msg: 67
Posted: 12/3/2013 6:32:47 PM
don't overeat, exercise daily (cardio and muscle conditioning) and drink water and avoid sugar drinks and you should be ok
 Skyr
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2013 3:38:32 AM
My strategy- go for a 200km bike ride on Boxing Day :)

Probably a good time to start training for a couple races early next year too.
 GuitarPlayer64
Msg: 69
Posted: 12/6/2013 9:51:37 PM
I just remember two things

1. It's easy to gain weight without trying.
2. The effort to lose any weight gained is 3-5 times more difficult.

I have been eating better the last several weeks and have been slowly increasing my exercise regiment. I walk 7 Km every few days which isn't easy in Canada at this time of year. Two of my meals are low carb, high protein and fiber based smoothies using fruits like white apples, bananas, berries, low fat milk and Greek yogurt, it's actually filling if you follow the diet plan that I have been on. I put off 25 pound from October 30 as of the date of this post, that's actual fat and might seem impossible but it's your metabolism that is slow and the reason why we retain weight easily. I have had no problems continuing to lose weight even now, so long as my metabolism is going strong I can eat a modest dinner and not worry about it. 230 and feeling good about myself, only 30 more pounds to go.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2013 4:10:02 AM
I'm re gifting ( I know) most of those sweets/ cakes so many are gifting this year.
Can't keep that stuff in my home.

Cookies/brownies seem to be a popular gift this year over nuts and fruit, probably due to the economy.
Have kids a few doors down that are really happy about it.
 junjun11
Msg: 71
Posted: 12/21/2013 4:35:54 AM
Watch the carb intake, as well as the usual salt, sugar and fat. But that's a day to day thing for me, beyond avoiding becoming overweight.

Enjoy the holidays all. Be safe, be happy. Toots.
 activemelaney
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2013 11:06:18 AM
I have no desire to eat poorly on holidays. Folks condition themselves to sugar, salt, fat...more is 'better'. I get as much satisfaction out of whole food. Prefer a Mango to a piece of pie.

Cookies, cake, soda, etc. are not in my house. Gifts brought over by friends are politely accepted, then put out for the birds when they leave.

Unhealthy food is just not a reward to me. Eating well is not doing without. There's dozens and dozens of yummy foods. I like to go for a brisk walk in the morning and then lap up a delicious bowl of homemade soup.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >