Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AlphaMaleDog
Msg: 254
Overrated Bands.Page 12 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
coldplay... I can't stand whiney bull crap

our lady peace... another whiney band
 MrCorBoaz
Msg: 255
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/4/2013 6:59:02 PM
Kiss-They were actually a top act. Talk about low talent all gimmick band that made it to fame!

The Monkees-yeah they aren't highly regarded NOW but THEN they were ultra popular despite being basically a spoof tv band. They make the overrated list due to their popularity in that era.

The Beatles-its hard not to like the Beatles....I certainly don't. I think the Beatles are 1 of the 50 most important groups in music history. Their influences are wide and deep. Having said that.....many if not most regard them as the #1best, greatest, #1most influential #1most important band in music history which seems ridiculously funny. Great writers, very good/good(although overrated) musicians,good(albeit overrated) vocals and innovators are all things they rightfully can lay their hats on.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 256
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/4/2013 8:03:39 PM
The Monkees had the advantage of being individually selected by show-business pros, some of their music was pretty good, but the "show" was the goal, not them. And, they were well-chosen.
The Beatles were the most important group, in my opinion, because of their "impact", as well as the songs themselves. As a kid, I remember "A Hard Day's Night" coming out, all the albums, the singles, the breakup, it was like every single little thing that they did became a major even in our lives.
I think they only lasted 6 years as a band, but had a huge effect on hundreds of millions of people.
 tank2004
Msg: 257
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/6/2013 8:06:56 AM
wow what do you like maybe Britney kesha, without half those bands there wouldn't be half the bands that have put out decent rock in the past 30 years.
 MrCorBoaz
Msg: 258
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/7/2013 11:33:47 AM

The Beatles were the most important group, in my opinion, because of their "impact", as well as the songs themselves.
Honestly the "impact" of the Beatles is overrated outside of commercial success created by the social issues of the time.

the singles, the breakup, it was like every single little thing that they did became a major even in our lives.
Thus the reason they deserve to be on the most overrated list. Take out the hype/commercial success and the Beatles were important but FAR from being the most important group or even most impacting group in history. The Beatles were a phenomenally popular group which had commensurate commercial impact due to that popularity. However, their effect on the musicality of Rock long term pales in comparative to that commercial impact. To the group of people that nurtured and birth the genre, they had very little impact.
 AlphaMaleDog
Msg: 259
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/7/2013 3:15:16 PM
I think that at that time a lot of people starting seeing through all this hype with the Beatles and soon discovered The Rolling Stones.

Hype = Branding.... Just like Justin Bieber is nothing more than a brand. An investor put in some money into "discovering" this young so-called artist and got hyper aggressive with the branding within the media.

With enough money sunk into a person, an item, a product... to expose of in the media, and you end up with a profitable brand. And when said item is making money... who cares if there's talent, substance, or any style.
 tank2004
Msg: 260
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/7/2013 3:41:23 PM
With enough money sunk into a person, an item, a product... to expose of in the media, and you end up with a profitable brand. And when said item is making money... who cares if there's talent, substance, or any style.

I agree I like to refer to those bands as farmed rock like nickel back, creed and all the hair bands that sound the same look the same and regurgitate the same music and the radio and fans by into, that's something I never could understand. I'm not gona say I don't listen to popular music but there comes a point when it needs to end like thankfully the boy bands ended and hair metal and bubblegum punk.
 Rheostatic
Msg: 261
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/7/2013 4:05:24 PM

I'm not gona say I don't listen to popular music but there comes a point when it needs to end like thankfully the boy bands ended and hair metal and bubblegum punk.

Guess you haven't heard of One Direction.
 BigEyedFish8
Msg: 262
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/7/2013 6:35:28 PM

Maybe some things really don't stand the test of time.....the older generation knows how radical Jimi was, but look at the array of gunslingers the newer generations have to listen to today....if the first thing you heard was Steve Vai, would Hendrix flip you out? Maybe not.........Having said that, I have no problem understanding the merit of stuff before my generation like sinatra ect......

I don't know about that, I listened to Vai before I really got into Hendrix and I'd say Hendrix surprised me more with his playing. But I really really got into rock music when I started listening to Led Zeppelin. Honestly, to this day I still think Jimmy Page is hands down one of the truly great guitar players, he is easily in my top 5 and possibly top 3 for so many reasons. When I listened to Hendrix, I could really appreciate his playing, but I felt his songs couldn't stick to me the same way Zeppelin's stuff did. I guess it's a matter of opinion though, Hendrix to me will always be one of the pioneers of rock guitar, but I could never get into his tunes very well.

Page to me, is the ultimate riff master, having created many amazing guitar riffs, melodies and solos across several Zeppelin albums while having the ability to write and play well in multiple styles, whether it be folk, blues, R'nB or a straight up hard rock tune. Of course, my opinion changed a bit when I discovered the man who I believe really one upped Page as a guitarist and has since continued to prove why he is without a doubt one of the other truly amazing guitarists, and that is Alex Lifeson.
 Brodigy
Msg: 263
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/8/2013 9:50:19 AM
Big Eyed Fish :

Page to me, is the ultimate riff master, having created many amazing guitar riffs, melodies and solos across several Zeppelin albums while having the ability to write and play well in multiple styles, whether it be folk, blues, R'nB or a straight up hard rock tune. Of course, my opinion changed a bit when I discovered the man who I believe really one upped Page as a guitarist and has since continued to prove why he is without a doubt one of the other truly amazing guitarists, and that is Alex Lifeson.

I agree with most of what you wrote here, Page and Lifeson are in my top 5 for sure.

I think what made Page great was his versatility and amazing writing and production instincts which all contributed to why Zep stood out among the rest.

I don't agree that Lifeson one upped Page at all. But Lifeson's best work was in the 70's in my opinion. He started out emulating Page by writing blues based songs but then really impressed by showing his prog influences with songs like Bytor, Xanadu and then his contributions like Hemispheres and the legendary masterpiece La Villa Strangiato is where he peaked.

I prefer players who paly with FEEL like David Gilmour of Pink Floyd rather than the " speed freak " players who make playing seem more like an Olympic event ( eye roll ). Sure , the Vai's and Malmsteens are impressive but why do I get bored of them so soon ? Lack of substance perhaps ? They remind me of a stripper who has a killer body who rips all her clothes of right away instead of doing it slowly in a way that makes you salivate and make you hope it takes her a long time until she takes it all off because everytime a new piece of skin is revealed it's so amazing .
 Brodigy
Msg: 264
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/8/2013 12:54:36 PM

As for the speed players, that's their thing. I know a lot of players who have disdain for them, and claim they have no "soul". More often than not (not always), it usually comes from the players who once wanted to play fast, but couldn't quite get there and gave up.

No disdain or sour grapes going on here, they just simply don't do it for me for the most part.

I used to crank songs like Satriani's " The Forgotten part TWO " or Vai's " For the love of God " - and I still enjoy listening to them once in a blue moon, but I think it's a less is more thing which is simply a personal preference.
 tank2004
Msg: 265
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/8/2013 7:00:55 PM
I am glad there is love the greats like zeppelin, when I was a kid I saw Page and Plant they blew my mind it was my second concert my first I do not admit to very often it was Kansas and Sticks my ears still hurt.
I do think there is few more guitarists your missing Clapton by far is God, Tony Iommi, Santana, and I might catch shit for it Mark Knopfler .
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 266
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/9/2013 9:05:44 AM
^^^^^^
CorBoaz - Once again I'm gonna stick up for the Beatles - Would there have been a "British Invasion" without them? Would anyone have paid attention to Led Zep? I looked around and I'm gonna steal an older post from another forum that wraps it up, because who wants to read 25 pages of cut-and-paste, you can easily find it on your own.

Someone EXPLAIN : How did THe Beatles Influence music ?
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080119103900AAmFaAV

It woud be easier to ask how they did NOT influence music.

To put it in the simplest possible terms...

Before the Beatles (and the British Invasion that followed), rock and roll was limited to Elvis, Buddy Holly and a VERY few selected black artists.

They took what others had done (Muddy Waters etal.) and made accesible to the masses.
 MrCorBoaz
Msg: 267
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/9/2013 12:38:09 PM
Would there have been a "British Invasion" without them?

HYPE! That is exactly my point. The only British invasion was in the war of 1812. To even think that had it not been for the Beatles, bands from the UK would not have experienced great success in the USA simply is to ignore the facts and reality of the era in a complete display of the lack of knowledge of music history of that era. Once you look beyond the hype and study the history you see clearly that the cork of bands in the UK was about to pop and gush into the USA.

Before the Beatles (and the British Invasion that followed), rock and roll was limited to Elvis, Buddy Holly and a VERY few selected black artists.

That is the most absurd statement I've read in quite some time any place about anything. The level of ignorance of Rock history that is required for an adult to make such a statement with a straight face prompts me to hope it was made sarcastically in jest. Just in case, just for the record...Rock N Roll began AT LEAST 15yrs before the Beatles were even formed. I would argue that it began earlier than that, possibly as far back as the 30's. Yeah, before the any member of the Beatles was even born. Rolle Em Pete(by Pete Johnson and Big Joe Turner) most likely was the 1st RECORDED real Rock N Roll hit back in 1938. Unfortunately, but it is a fact of the era, a key issue in the time-line is race and racism. Wynonie Harris , Louis Jordan, Ray Brown, Big Joe Turner, Henry "Professor Longhair" Byrd ,Sister Rosetta Thorpe, Roy Milton, Ike Turner, H-Bomb Furguson, Marion Walter "Little Walter" Jacobs, Rosco Gordon, Richard Berry, Ester Phillips, Rufus Thomas,Mimi Roman, Little Jerry, The Jack Fords , Louis Payne, Fats Domino and a host of others proceeded the mid 50's fire that fueled the British interests in Skiffle, Blues, Do Wop,Jump, Boogie and Rock that led to the formation of virtually ALL of the British bands.

They took what others had done (Muddy Waters etal.) and made accesible to the masses.

HOW?..exactly HOW did they make the music "more accessible"?
 Green_Jello44
Msg: 268
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/9/2013 1:53:39 PM

HOW?..exactly HOW did they make the music "more accessible"?
- because, in those days, exploiting black style through white musicians sold boatloads of records to the white demographic. White kids didn't know who muddy waters was, all they knew was page and clapton were mad blues players......
 MrCorBoaz
Msg: 269
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/9/2013 2:34:41 PM
because, in those days, exploiting black style through white musicians sold boatloads of records to the white demographic.

Pretty much my point. Therefor by nature of morphology rather than musicology the acts sold. Thus they did NOTHING to make it more accessible to the masses, merely more acceptable to racists.

White kids didn't know who muddy waters was, all they knew was page and clapton were mad blues players
This is not entirely true. The same kids who formed the bands of the Rollings Stones, Beatles, Yardbirds, BluesBreakers , Cream and more all were rather well versed on the recordings of Fats Domino, Muddy Watters, Lil Johnson, Trixie Smith, Howlin Wolf, Robert Johnson, T Bone Walker, Son House, Big Joe Turner and a host of more . They were actually better versed than MANY of the USA bands that began to spring up in the 60's. The deal was that the British were not quite as hung up on race and racism....segregation as the USA.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 270
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/9/2013 3:36:07 PM
too lazy to read all the threads.

Overrated?

-Hendrix
-Stevie Wonder
-'Sir Paul' and his various reincarnated bands (yawn)
-Police
-Genesis

Some 'iffy' groups are more 'acts'..Kiss, Monkees. etc. ...hard to overrate them as 'performers'.
 Rheostatic
Msg: 271
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/17/2013 10:27:12 AM
Stop liking what I don't like.
 Blueberryeggos
Msg: 272
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/17/2013 6:49:00 PM
In agreement with Mumford and sons. There are so many bands playingin pubs and clubs that have that same sound, I fail to see why they so much more popular
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 273
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/17/2013 7:10:34 PM
who ever considered kiss or the monkeys to be great bands?

the monkeys didn't play on their own records. mickey wasn't a drummer.

kiss has been dragged through the dirt since day one.

k.w.
rock and roll over
 Solomonlike
Msg: 274
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/22/2013 5:49:55 PM

Rock N Roll began AT LEAST 15yrs before the Beatles were even formed. I would argue that it began earlier than that, possibly as far back as the 30's. Yeah, before the any member of the Beatles was even born. Rolle Em Pete(by Pete Johnson and Big Joe Turner) most likely was the 1st RECORDED real Rock N Roll hit back in 1938

Yet another GREAT post! However you might want to also include Trixie Smith's 1922 recording of My Baby Rocks Me With A Steady Roll.
Clearly Rock started well before the 50's. In fact by the 50's it was walking, talking and causing conflicts. Also, to be noted is the fact that what is now called Rock N Roll was seen as brazen,low class backwoods and after hours joint music by the very African American communities that gave birth to it. Keep in mind the time and era. This is during fights for civil/human rights in the USA. African Americans wanted to be taken seriously and even accepted by the larger community. This especially after fighting the affects of minstrel shows and music. Swing was seen as a classy way to have real boogie dance. Blues was often dressed up by Jazz bands to become more acceptable to its wider audiences. Due to the negative image some had of Blues. By the late 40's the music that had already been established and played widely throughout African American communities and elements of which were already copied by "country" artists who listen, was busting at the seams to break out and become more prominently RECORDED. This is exemplified by the fact that Lil Richard had to record a few times in studio simply because he didn't realize that his "brazen" style was actually what his producers wanted from him. They heard him play the style in juke joints but he felt they wanted him to be something less brazen....more swing/boogie/"R&B" than Lil Richard letting go and doing his thing.

That list you provided is a good yet relative small SAMPLE of the actual MANY artists that were doing Rock n Roll before the mid 50's.
 maybeyouarehere2
Msg: 276
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 2/2/2013 7:18:16 PM
Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
current Metallica - They play with no heart, soul, or attitude... not like the old days when they were pissed. And poor.
 BigEyedFish8
Msg: 277
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 2/3/2013 10:42:33 AM

- because, in those days, exploiting black style through white musicians sold boatloads of records to the white demographic. White kids didn't know who muddy waters was, all they knew was page and clapton were mad blues players......

They did the same thing with jazz though, people claim Paul Whiteman was one of the founders of jazz despite the fact that jazz existed when he was but a child. All he did was exploit black musical culture the same way it is done today, only with a different genre of music (rap). It's ignorance at it's finest to be honest.

Guys like Clapton, as good as they are, don't hold a candle to the kind of playing that Robert Johnson or Muddy Waters did. The Delta Blues is far more emotional and technical then the blues rock that white guys like Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughan made famous.
 BigEyedFish8
Msg: 278
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 2/3/2013 10:49:53 AM

In agreement with Mumford and sons. There are so many bands playing in pubs and clubs that have that same sound, I fail to see why they so much more popular.

So how many folk bands out there are as popular as Mumford and Sons? There hasn't been an act since possibly Simon and Garfunkle in the folk genre that has been as popular, and people appreciate artists who can play well and their songs aren't a bunch of lyrical bubble gum garbage or some pissed off angst "I are mad at the world so I sing like a psised off douche!" trash like Nickleback. Also, they are quite good musically, whether one thinks their songs are dull or not, they can certainly play and their song arrangements are fantastic, Winter Winds and The Boxer are two of my personal favourite songs by them. I see them more as a folk version of Dave Matthews Band, people love to hate them but there is no denying they are a talented group of musicians.
 BigEyedFish8
Msg: 279
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 2/3/2013 10:53:57 AM

Snow Patrol, that's another band I've never understood. There seems to be a plethora of really dull yet really successful bands and artists around lately and I just don't get how they become so popular. I'll chuck in The XX as well - they may be Mercury Prize winners but they put me to sleep.

I have one album by Snow Patrol and it's dull as hell. I have only heard one song by The XX, Islands, and I freaking want to gouge my ear drums out it's so terrible. There are good indie bands, then there are bands like Snow Patrol and The XX. If I want to listen to good indie, I will put on one of my Arkells discs, they are solid.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >