Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rustycage
Msg: 55
Overrated Bands.Page 2 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
I am going with Godsmack. They went out of their way to sound like Alice In Chains. Their live shows are great, I give them that. Their sound seems overly forced. Another Animal had a great sound and that was Godsmack with the lead singer of Ugly Kid Joe.

Nickleback ranks real high for me as well, but then again... I just can't stand them, so maybe my vote here shouldn't count too much.
 rebelgirlatheart
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/18/2010 9:01:04 PM
they've already been said but worth repeating.

1). Metallica. please just stop!
2). Nickelback. that one's obvious.
3). U2.
 rudebhoy
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/21/2010 6:24:55 AM
Snow Patrol - god has there ever been a more boring band
Kings of Leon- ok maybe it's all the squares who follow em
Belle and Sebastian- lets overdose on pretension
 Bry-Fidelity
Msg: 60
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/22/2010 12:33:23 AM

Radiohead absolutely! I own all of Radioheads albums and I like them alot but the hardcore Radiohead fan has got to be the most pretentious, arrogant, self absored fans out there. They have put Radiohead up on this pedestal as if they are the only creative force in music today. Radiohead fans have at times made me hate Radiohead haha! Also Radiohead has become that band that casual fans will throw out there as their "badge of credibility" when it comes to their musical taste. Sorry folks but your opinion is of no more worth simply because you claim to listen to Radiohead.

Radiohead fans are even so arrogant as to sugest that if you don't consider the post Ok Computer erea to be their best then you are a slave to pop radio. Haha! Yeah that's right cause Radiohead was always about pop radio. That or they came along at a time when radio still happend to play good music here and there.

I could rant for days on how Radiohead fans have turned Radiohead into a massively overrated band but I think you all get the point.

Thank you! I want to say those exact words every time I see a topic like this!
 Liveforadventure
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/22/2010 12:02:22 PM
I fell like hitting myself in the head everytime i hear "It's a beautiful day!"
 Pirate Mollie
Msg: 67
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/29/2010 8:01:31 PM
i think matchbox is totally overrated. i don't know who they are. but i hear them alot.
 TheRoad78
Msg: 69
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/31/2010 7:56:00 PM
U2
Green Day
Nickleback

.....And all of the new "punk" bands. They all sound exactly the same and look exactly the same as well.
 Aquariusdoll
Msg: 70
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 2/1/2010 8:22:42 PM
1) Nickleback - unoriginal, Nirvana wannabe's
2) U2 - lame, sounds like every other mainstream rock song
3) Oasis - boring, lame
4) Flyleaf - boring, cheesy, whiny
5) Paramore - annoying, whiny, reminds me of Avril Lavigne
(examples of good rock chick singers - No Doubt (90's), Lacuna Coil, Otep)
 nipoleon
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 2/2/2010 4:05:14 PM
It's a common mistake that there are good musicians who haven't been discovered yet.

You're not good because you're popular.
You're popular because you're good.
If you're good you don't have to find an audience, the audience will find you.
The Beatles were really really good.

The Rolling Stones were good for a while, but they've been over rated ever since Brian Jones died. He was the only real talent they ever actually had.
They've been squeezing blood out of " Let it Bleed " for 50 years.

Can Steely Dan please write a song that doesn't sound like every other song they ever wrote ?
I never want to hear another augmented chord as long as I live.
You too Greatful Dead.

Can anyone with any self respect ever admit to listening to Prince ever again ?
" Purple Rain ", great party album, now put on your high heeled boots and go away.
 Ostinato
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 2/3/2010 2:06:21 AM

Can Steely Dan please write a song that doesn't sound like every other song they ever wrote ?
I never want to hear another augmented chord as long as I live.

OK....but you do know the difference between added tone chord and augmented chord, don't you?
 nipoleon
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 2/3/2010 11:26:06 AM
It's easy to be popular for a while. There are a million " one hit wonders ".
If you're good, you last forever.

100 years from now, college music appreciation students will open their textbooks to the chapter on 20th. century music and on the 1st. page will be a picture of The Beatles.

OK....but you do know the difference between added tone chord and augmented chord, don't you?

Yes I do, but I always hated music theory.
Real composers don't pay much attention to that stuff, they just write what they like.
 DarkCrimson
Msg: 81
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 2/27/2010 5:35:37 AM
U2
Beatles
Led Zepplin
Pink Floyd
Metallica
Rage Against the Machine
Any boy band
Foo Fighters
Black Crowes
Aerosmith
The last 3 decades of the Rolling Stones.

The lap band.
 zx12r998
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 3/1/2010 2:57:31 PM
I just love listing to all types of music. it could suck today but next month, I'll love it. I have a huge collection of MP3s. and I'm constantly changing playlists.
Anybody here have any large collections?
 Cricket_2010
Msg: 87
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 3/10/2010 8:49:06 PM
Right this second- Owl City. Make. It. Stop. They/He are not the second coming of alternative music. The single sucks. The only reason anyone thinks it is good is because the studio execs have been pushing the song/band on every outlet they can and people have been brainwashed into liking it by sheer repetition and variation of exposure. grrrr
 tryncatchme
Msg: 90
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 3/14/2010 3:11:22 PM
Not me jezdrummer.. I agree 100% about the beatles.. I never saw the allure there.. still don't. Maybe it 's I just don't care for that era of music.
 CleanseFoldManipulate
Msg: 91
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 3/18/2010 11:42:39 PM
One word: Nickelback

I rest my case...
 tryncatchme
Msg: 93
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 3/19/2010 2:45:20 PM
Not everyone hates Nickelback... I love them..
 briargate
Msg: 96
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 3/23/2010 10:24:58 AM

Radiohead - People should realise sooner that they're actually quite naff most of the time and haven't had a good album in a long time.

I gave up on them after Kid A. The only two albums of theirs I listen to anymore are "The Bends"and "OK Computer." The rest have a few songs here and there.
 ltjfan84
Msg: 103
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 4/4/2010 12:32:52 PM
I'll disagree about nirvana, but only because of them being so influential on so many people, in that respect they weren't over-rated so over all I disagree, but yeah, in the respect of the way the critics fell over them after Cobain died, then totally over-rated

Personally, I think alot of music that gets "pushed" onto the radio waves is over-rated- especially stuff from American idol and the like. Nickelback is totally over-rated, as now they just seem like they are trying to be popular and nothing more. Metallica post-black album to me is the same way. Most of the "radio rock", bands mentioned above like five finger death punch and the like, are over-rated in my eyes- my best friend loves rockin out to that and thinks its so hard and so new, when in fact, if the radio wasnt shoving it out there, she'd never take a listen.

That doesn't make it necessarily "bad" music or anything, hell I like a couple of nickelback's songs, I just think they get way more credit then they really deserve, nothing wrong or against those that listen to them, but personally, over-rated.

I'll throw another one in, I think its been mentioned but...as a punk fan, I can't resist...... Green day is over-rated! Nothing really new or different, they just got hot and popular at the right time, had a little luck, and were/are good at riding that wave. I like some of thier stuff, but none of it is really anything that bands like the descendents, bad religion, or husker du wern't doing years before (and personally, don't do better)
 feb0226
Msg: 106
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 4/15/2010 6:19:38 PM
Foo Fighters, name one good song.
 Ryan Mac
Msg: 107
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 4/25/2010 12:24:23 PM

everyone hates Nickelback. how can they be over- rated?

You will be surprised. Most people who talk about music on the internet hate that band, but most people I know in real life actually like them. Hell, I was at a party a few weeks ago with about 10-12 people, and I was the only one who didn't like them. Mediocrity sells, I guess.
 Jim in NB
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 5/6/2010 7:46:08 AM
Everything is relative with over-rating. What consitutues a band - a group of people that get together occassionally in a studio or even independantly in a studio and puts music together or one that goes out there and plays live for their fans. And of course it is all in our realm of experience with music and the music of any band. To me the most over rated and over hyped are the Beatles. They are fantastic and I love to listen to them but they couldn't keep it together and get along and after all that is what life is about.

And to me one of the underrated bands is the Stones. Wow. Look at the commerical available stuff and all the best ofs ... yes that is over hyped but get into the boots - the outtakes, live concerts, the evolution of interplay between Keith and Brian, then Mick Taylor and onto Ronnie Woods. Makes me real look forward to who is going to replace Ronnie? Another true lead guitarist like Mick Taylor (ie Eric Clapton) or someone who like Ronnie Woods can weave back and forther with Keith between lead and rthym - I could get lost listening to that for days!

Another favourite of mine that I think has been overrated is Zep. Great, great band but no where near the legend that the music press makes them out to be.

Maybe that is the biggest part of over hype - the machine and fans of the various bands. Well should get back to work!
 jed456
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 5/9/2010 11:33:50 AM
The jonas brothers if you can even call that a band or music!
 jay.m83
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 6/21/2011 6:15:19 AM
I gotta disagree with whomever said Tool was overrated. No band has ever come close to sounding like them. They are completely original. Nothing is even in the same ballpark. It really is that unique. Saying that the riffs are stretched over 4-5 measures is a very drastic under estimation, The meter changes in Tool's Music is a lot more complex if you actually sit down and try to play the stuff. Tool I would say in my opinion is one of the most underrated bands. If you don't like it that's fine, The music is really messed up. I'm not really a fan of Primus just to give you an example, but I appreciate how unique Primus is, even if it doesn't take residence on my Mp3 player.

I think the most overrated band would be Kiss, for their musical ability. However gotta give the guys props for putting a spectacle of a live show on. It opened doors for a rock show, so they at least deserve that respect.
 phil2988
Msg: 115
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 6/23/2011 12:40:20 PM
1) Foo Fighters- their music is becoming too conservative and made for people who wanna rock hard but not TOO hard.

2) Kings of Leon- same as above, and starting to sound too much like U2
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >