Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ComplekCity
Msg: 142
Overrated Bands.Page 4 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)

sales are absolutely indicative of whether something is good or not. if people like something, they buy it. if they like it, it's not because it sucks.

" The Backstreet Boys " by The Backstreet Boys and " Baby One More Time " by Britney Spears both sold 14 MILLION COPIES

That's how GOOD these albums are .

It has nothing to do with a bunch of teeny boppers jumping on a bandwagon, peer pressure , over promotion, all of the above at all !

It's because these albums are packed with GOOD , QUALITY MATERIAL !

( based on the fact they sold 14 MILLION COPIES one can only assume this.....right ? )
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 143
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 8/11/2011 5:38:06 PM

" The Backstreet Boys " by The Backstreet Boys and " Baby One More Time " by Britney Spears both sold 14 MILLION COPIES
That's how GOOD these albums are .
It has nothing to do with a bunch of teeny boppers jumping on a bandwagon, peer pressure , over promotion, all of the above at all !
It's because these albums are packed with GOOD , QUALITY MATERIAL !
( based on the fact they sold 14 MILLION COPIES one can only assume this.....right ? )

are you retarded too? taste is subjective. take your own opinion of the artists out of the mix. i'm not a fan of any of those acts. but facts are facts.

people won't buy albums, merch or concert tickets IF THEY DON'T LIKE THE ARTIST.

why do they like them? for many of the reasons you mentioned. but that's irrelevant.

for every britney there's a thousand brooke hogans. why hasn't hogan's music taken off? she had a built in promotion machine with TWO tv shows, a nationally syndicated radio show behind her and a father that is known world wide. she was hyped and force fed to millions of people yet she couldn't get to the next level.

why is that? maybe britney's songs are better?

backstreet? tell me this isn't catchy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOSMCsjRt4k

another example: lady gaga.

when i hear her pop versions of her tunes i want to hurl.

but when i hear her sing and play piano i think she's brilliant. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_GMgkcc2KM

why? because she can craft a song any way she wants. a well written song is a well written song. same as the acts mentioned before.

i'm a die hard rocker but i've been around long enough to know how the game works.

k.w.
edge of glory
 ComplekCity
Msg: 144
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 8/11/2011 6:27:00 PM
are you retarded too? taste is subjective. take your own opinion of the artists out of the mix. i'm not a fan of any of those acts. but facts are facts.

Now , now , Mr. Skynyrd .... there's no need to resort to name calling is there ?

Are you telling me you can't tell the difference between pop crap and quality ?????

( this is where I'll refrain from name calling and continue )

I can't stand Springsteen or Garth Brooks ( who have also sold a bajillion albums ), BUT

BUT !!!!!

I at least RESPECT those guys as ARTISTS because , in my oh so humble opinion ( probably retarded to you but oh well, I'll find a way to sleep tonight somehow ), they are THE REAL DEAL.

for every britney there's a thousand brooke hogans. why hasn't hogan's music taken off? she had a built in promotion machine with TWO tv shows, a nationally syndicated radio show behind her and a father that is known world wide. she was hyped and force fed to millions of people yet she couldn't get to the next level.

why is that? maybe britney's songs are better?

No - Britney is a zillion times HOTTER !!!

Did I enjoy watching her in that skin tight suit in " Oops I did it again " ?
Frick yeah !!!
Did I run out and buy her album ?
No ! But I bet a lot of horny boys did - probably hoping it would make jakking off more enjoyable in their jammies - but that doesn't mean her music is better than , say, oh I don't know, The Beatles just because she sold more of her records than some of theirs !

Here , have one of these on me :

PragmaticDoc
Msg: 145
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 8/11/2011 10:48:16 PM
Ok let me get this straight, first someone is saying Britney, Backdoor Boys, and etc. are "good" because they sold a lot of records (sorry cd's). Then that would have to make the reverse true all bands would don't sell 14 million are shit. Sales mean nothing other than the size of your paycheck. What has this world come to? I mean seriously they are good because they sold millions of records. Thats like saying crack made 3 billion dollars last alone the US, I think I need to start smoking crack, that much sales means its good. Sometimes I think people just argue so they can feel like they matter.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 8/13/2011 2:02:26 AM
again, someone confusing personal taste with public opinion. sprinkled with a bit of ignorance.
lets use metallica as an example. the last 2 albums got almost zero airplay compared to the 4 or 5 albums previous to them. it wasn't force feed to anyone.

Okay, using the same arguement, why weren't the first 4 Metallica albums as big as the Black Album? They got no airplay either. Could it possibly be that they changed to adapt to the tastes of the buying public (aka airplay)?

One's personal taste is often due to exposure. Many (if not most) people only get that exposure from mainstream radio and If people hadn't heard the "good" Metallica album(s) they certainly wouldn't be buying the crap albums without ever hearing them would they? Oops sorry there's that ignorant personal taste creeping in again--giving the highly overrated (that's right--the topic of the thread) Metallica any awards for album of the year when there are 50 bands out there (and that's just off the top of my head) that can easily run circles around them in the very game they originated, but chose to deviate from. Metallica had to change their game to make it big--the game didn't change for them. The reason the last 2 albums got no airplay (other than the fact they freakin' suck) is they are trying (very unsucessfully) to return to their "roots". The roots that got them zero airplay to begin with. Maybe if they'd have gotten ol' Bobby Rock to turn them back into pop stars again, they'd have gotten some airplay.

As far as ignorance goes, if you know how the game is played, you sure aren't giving anyone any clues that you do. You'd know exposure is key to getting this crap that passes for pop music into the kiddies ears. Look back at the MTV era. Bands that never stood a chance of getting played in America suddenly turning up on radio, and the only reason is because MTV played their video 5 times an hour. Why do you think record companies in the 50s paid DJ's like Alan Freed big bucks to play their songs? Because they knew the way to sell a million copies of something was repeated listening and forcefeeding those songs to the public. Very few records become #1 without airplay (unless they are proven artists--such as your posterboys Metallica--and those fans that like the Black Album were selling off St. Anger and Death Magentic in droves--there are over 100 copies of each on Amazon alone--in fact, in their case I would argue airplay would hurt their sales!!). Last year my 18 year old daughter heard "Trapped Under Ice" for the first time and she didn't even believe it was Metallica until I showed her the album cover.

I'm not saying all big hits are crap. But I am saying a WHOLE LOT of them are. Ever heard "Peanut Butter Jelly Time"?

for every britney there's a thousand brooke hogans. why hasn't hogan's music taken off?

Easy. Because sometimes the music is so truly horrendous, even being forcefed the crap won't make it catchy.

she had a built in promotion machine with TWO tv shows, a nationally syndicated radio show behind her and a father that is known world wide. she was hyped and force fed to millions of people yet she couldn't get to the next level.

Sounds like she went beyond the next level to me, if she had all that happen. Sometimes, even in the land of injustice where hacks like Bon Jovi make millions on cliche ridden songs that I consider equal to having my ears raped, a lapse in bad taste happens. Surely it will be corrected by the time the next Justin Bieber record comes along.

sales are absolutely indicative of whether something is good or not. if people like something, they buy it. if they like it, it's not because it sucks.

Exhibit A: Debby Boone-You Light Up My Life

Exhibit B: Iggy & the Stooges - Raw Power.

"A" sold a trillion copies and stayed #1 on the pop charts for several months. "B" barely scraped the bottom of the Billboard album charts. Accordinging to your analogy A would be great and B would not.

A is one of the most venomously hated songs of all time (makes nearly every list of "worst records" known to man). Does that mean it didn't suck then but sucks now?!?!?

B has become a major influence of not only several generations of punk icons, but of metal icons and garage rockers since the public's (apparent lack of) tastes caught up to it. Does that mean it sucked then but doesn't suck now?

I won't resort to the name calling, but, even without my own opinion of any artists, if I had a dime for everytime I've heard people, sometimes mere weeks after pushing one of those "great" songs to number one on the charts, (making it, in your opinion, a stellar work of art) say, "God, I can't believe I listened to that crap...." I'd be richer than half the fly by nights we're talking about here. I think the only real fact here is you are defending the indefensible. Even record company execs know that this disposable she-ite they are pumping out has a finite shelf life and the "public" who buys it will only take so much before they wise up. Taste might be subjective, but to assume that everyone has any would be retarded. Miley Cyrus depends on millions of people having none at all and so did her dad before most people woke up to his ruse and he had to start pimping her out to Disney to keep from having to cut off his pigtail and get a real job.
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 147
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 8/13/2011 2:02:59 AM
you're not understanding the principle here.

taste in music is subjective.

there are millions of people that love sh*tty pop music.

there's TONS of sh*tty pop music out there.

the millions of people that love this music love it because THEY think it's good.

they support the artists they LIKE and ignore the ones they DON'T LIKE.

just because YOU don't agree with THEIR opinion it doesn't mean they're wrong.

millions of people think that britney has great songs. do i think they're great? NO.

but that's MY taste in music. is my opinion more important then the millions of her fans'?

no.

so if ANYBODY thinks that an artist is great, THEN THEY ARE!!

they're great to THAT person.

so multiply that by the millions of tards that support sh*tty pop music.

is it great?

yup.

to them it is.

do you get it now?

k.w.
sang 2 warrant tunes at rehearsal tonight
 lisaluvzA7X
Msg: 148
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 8/24/2011 11:38:11 AM
Have to agree with you on Nirvana and Nickelback, but in my opinion, Red Hot Chili Peppers is awesome. They don't follow in the footsteps of 'what's in', they are the most original group I can think of. They sound like no other group. Their style is the most unique style on today's radio. There are others with unique style, but you don't get to hear them on public radio. Just my opinion.
 lisaluvzA7X
Msg: 149
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 8/24/2011 11:46:10 AM
I couldn't agree more. Metallica are Gods in the music industry. And Nirvana......HA!!!!! My son is in a rock band and the guitarist wanted them to do Nirvana, it took a day for them to learn it. And they're teenagers. I think most of Kurt Cobain's fame came from people feeling sorry for him cuz he always looked so depressed. That's one of the things that made me not like him. I want my music to lift my spirits, not drag me down.
 Hippiekinkster
Msg: 150
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 8/25/2011 12:25:22 AM
Kidwicked: "- ozzy has done a ton of great stuff without randy. the sales show that."

Yeah, right, the bible is a much better work of art than "Stranger in a Strange Land"; the sales show that.

Okey-doke.
 godlessguitarist
Msg: 151
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 8/25/2011 1:01:40 PM
What a great thread,LET'S GET ALL THE SACRED COWS UP ON THE ALTER', HERE, you jaded buggerz. you're bummed out cuz you listen to too much commercial radio. the a&r guys found these guys like they discovered a new element or gas and thought they could sell it in the same jar forever no matter how watered down it becomes. BEWARE also of the underground, they to have their little college sweethearts and playlists, that have to have so many spins per cappucino. IT'S SHEEPHEARDING, GROUP THINK. i take the underdog.
Metallica for the masses,Motorhead for me
Kiss for the fireworks, New York dolls for the show and attitude
AC/DC for the hoi poloi , the 'Skyhooks' for me.
GReen day for colored haired kids,U.K. subs for me own anarchy

The agument for AC/DC is well it's' Blues based ROCK' for the working stiff, but it was more a soundtrack for felons, and a good one,but as they get older it's unbelievable already, and no adults can relate to that, as well as kids either, but then most cons never grow up in jail. It's blues background doesn't make kids run out and buy old robert johnson, blind willie mctell albums. but they feel justified. AC/DC , refuse to change cuz the hardest fans won't , they bought the farm.

We were forced to like hysteria, when we all knew Pyromania was kickin, but the ardent fans had to support the armless drummer, that's ok,but someone told them they need to **** millions more teenage girls by making soppy singalongs all in the same beat, they called it a progression, but it was regression.

Black Sabbath was at times capable of very good enlightened lyrics,wish ozzy could remember them.

Kiss is something that if Bill Aucoin didn't have both eyes focused purely on commercial success with the comic book kids, would have just called kiss' BLOW JOB'. A marketing wonder as Gene now gloats.

Nickleback took the grunge sound further or backward by watering it down by making honest but boring lyrics all done with a dry unmelodic sound and singer that's like listening to a sick baby all night in a far off crib with a dry bronchaial cough,through a baby monitor.

Coldplay came at the sensitive Radiohead time where you could've wrote a song from the night after a bad meatloaf, and call it 'purple'.

but these blues rock or jazz rock adults are what is annoying, where is the child from, they seldom go and collect great blues or jazz rcords after, because , well yeah the sound is poor. Can't someone stand up and say that blues or jazz is irritating or would we be making a racial slur against the ones who pioneered most of it, black people. i knew a guy who only grew up with blues and jazz and swing records,he couldn't stand the music anymore. He never heard rock in his life, when he did, he thought it was fresh hearing the stuff we call shit ,lol. There's some ojectivity hear in subjective stupidity.lol.
 playfulpete
Msg: 152
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 9/6/2011 8:04:26 AM
JUSTIN BIEBER.MAKE HIM GO AWAY PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 153
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 9/7/2011 3:30:57 AM
The bottom line is how difficult the song is to play.

So that would mean "Twist and Shout" is the worst song of all time when in fact it says all that was needed to be said in the world of 1950's rock and roll.
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/10/2012 6:01:31 PM
Nickelback
Coldplay - ugh!
Dave Matthews
Rolling Stones (Gimme Shelter was their best, downhill from there)
I like Greenday - sometimes, but they aren't even remotely punk. If I want punk I'll listen to the Dead Kennedy's "Too Drunk to &*#@", or The Cramps. But yes, overrated.

There's new punk? really?

Godsmack
Hinder
3 Days Grace
U2 - the old stuff is good, but after "Pride", not so much.
Foo Fighters
AC/DC - anything after Bon Scott passed
Def Leppard
Bon Jovi - he's gorgeous - he can't sing
Bruce Springsteen ...I just don't get it
 veevee
Msg: 155
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/12/2012 7:15:45 PM
How could someone choose Radiohead in this list. That is heresy. I adore them. So what if they are weird. They sound as good live as their cds and they shunned Miley Cyrus when she tried to meet them. Made me laugh hard.

Madonna is overrated - that woman was about 60 in legwarmers trying to show me her girl parts blech - age already you freak and grow up

AC/DC for sure - every song they make sounds the same

Kiss - I never got them and they only had 2 good songs, detroit rock city and beth

Anyone who autotunes themselves.
 R_O_U_S
Msg: 156
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/28/2012 7:51:37 AM
ONE WORD
stRYper
 Jovi_Girl
Msg: 157
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/30/2012 5:25:50 PM
Dipset17...TOTALLY AGREE
 Jovi_Girl
Msg: 158
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 1/30/2012 5:28:49 PM
Im with you on this one! I just dont get it
 bamagrl68
Msg: 159
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 2/1/2012 4:47:54 PM
lord summerisle-
#1- The Beatles- This is a case of a mediocre band that was in the right place at the right time. Let's be honest, John Lennon was the only member with any real talent.

#2- Cold Play-Chris Martin takes himself WAY too seriously, overwrought crap.

#3- Nickleback- Everything they come out with sounds the same.

#4- Godsmack- I refer to them as God awful, need I say more?

#5- The Grateful dead- Follow them, why? Their fans bring more attention than their music, I've never understood the appeal.
 ChadsFormerStandIn
Msg: 160
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 2/2/2012 4:31:55 PM
Nirvana - There was no genius to this guy. Just good timing for the band and flannel was in.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - The guy can't sing to save his life, yet he fancies himself some kind of crooner/rapper hybrid. Please make this band go away. Such a shame, because flea and Chad are great at what they do. Under the Bridge and Suck My Kiss make me want to hurt people.

Green Day - This band completed twisted the meaning of punk for its generation. The drummer's name is Tre Cool! Are you f**n kidding me?!!! This band respawned a useless genre of music in even less palatable form.

Metallica - How can a band have two completely different sets of fans?? Oh right, one day you decide to wear boas, make-up and suck plus alienate your fan base and lead the napster charge.

Any band that hides a guest guitar player offstage filling in for injury has ego problems. Too bad, because Trujillo is the real deal. He deserves better.
 Kohmelo
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 2/2/2012 5:06:39 PM

Metallica is furthest from overrated, every single metal band on the planet right now was influenced either directly by Metallica or by a band who was influenced by them

So wrong.
Try Judas Priest and Manowar. Look up the heavy metal family tree, Metallica is not listed as the god-fathers of metal...

use something more than the fact that you dont like the band to explain why they're overrated.

No problem.
Metallica made 3 good albums. Then umpteen crappy ones.
4 good ones if you count Garage Days Re-Visited. This was a limited edition album of punk cover songs performed with no bass... made as a tribute to Cliff Burton who died on tour September 27, 1986 (RIP)...
Metallica later made Garage Inc. - A sales driven Rock cover album. The fact that they named this shameless money grab in reference to Garage Days tribute is disgusting. It shows a complete lack of integrity and good taste.
To give a tasteless musician any sort of credit is foolish and wrong.
They are scum.

That said,
I think The Beatles are nowhere near as good as they are credited and I feel the same about Slayer and Tool... though I do understand where their fans are coming from
 trainsgochoochoo
Msg: 162
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 2/9/2012 12:56:40 PM
Dave Matthews Band
 KittenCatt
Msg: 163
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 2/13/2012 12:15:15 AM
Nickelback...huge consensus with this one. I really can not tolerate listening to the lead singer's voice! How do people do it?!

Bon Jovi....borrring

Lady Antebellum....tonight's Grammy's reminded me how much I simply do not "get" this band's appeal and success. My God...pablum, vanilla, bland, boring, unoriginal lyrics and music. How can this be country? Country is George Jones.

Taylor Swift.....so tired of this girl....wish she'd just go away

Train....I have no words for how much I hate their pretentious crappy drivel

Jason Mraz....ugg, blech, vomit...would rather listen to two piles of shit have sex with each other
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 164
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 2/13/2012 12:52:04 AM
lol.

that's aboot 100 million in records sales of over ratedness.

coldplay and radiohead suck ass equally.

k.w.
and the hip too
 Dave-78
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Overrated Bands.
Posted: 2/14/2012 2:00:17 PM
Chas and Dave... they've got nothing on the Wurzels.
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 167
marknbaltimore on oasis
Posted: 2/22/2012 4:20:40 PM
good sour grapes thread for all the "wannabe" musicians angry that other bands get more play than their 'mediocre garage band'

"we're really hugely talented but the industry conspires against us, man"
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >