Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 acuddler
Msg: 88
Are we working contrary to evolution as a species?Page 5 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
The Pixelated Woodpecker was an actual species which is said to have gone extinct in the mid 1940s. Some people say they have seen a few since then, but no one has proven it yet as far as I know. The last proven sighting was in North Carolina. The name was given because of the birds behavior. It seemed drunken. The word 'pixelated' was once a slang term for 'drunken', so the apparently drunken acting bird was named 'Pixelated'. Pixelated is now also used to mean an image which has blocky large 'pixels' (computer slang for 'picture elements').

I am not the big bird watcher that some are, but have friends who are and I have read some of their books, and seen some of their videos. The Pixelated Woodpecker was too highly adapted...to one thing. It could only nest in one species of tree...and only in those members of that species which had a certain disease...and then only in those infected trees which were in a particular stage of the disease. Once all the trees of that old growth species of tree were cut down by logging companies-because it made nice furniture-the birds had nowhere to nest, and so couldn't breed, and so died out. Unconfirmed reports of Pixelated Woodpecker sightings exist, but could be hoaxes, or mistaken identities. As far as can be confirmed, none of the required trees now exist.

Th e Pixelated Woodpecker ate insect larvae which now run rampant, harming other tree species, and crops, so the bird is having it's revenge on man posthumously.
 acuddler
Msg: 89
Are we working contrary to evolution as a species?
Posted: 12/25/2009 12:53:00 AM
Bowdenk - I'm not sure, but think the name 'Pixelated' was given the woodpecker as a nickname...a common, or street, name...the way Alsatian dogs are also called German Shepherds. I think the more official name for the Pixelated Woodpecker was The Ivory Billed Woodpecker. It may have been a different species, but I think it was the Ivory Billed. I last read about, and saw videos on, it about 15 years ago...so I may have it confused with another species. It makes for interesting research, though.
 CountIbli
Msg: 90
Posted: 12/26/2009 11:39:39 AM

CountIbli - The theory of evolution is that everything is progressing upwards, getting better, more complex, more developed, etc. Entropy says that everything is wearing out, breaking down, becoming less complex, etc. All evidence supports entropy,and none supports evolution. Survival of the fittest is supposed to be a mechanism by which evolution works. The idea of that is that the bigger, faster, stronger, more adaptable, etc, survives to breed another day, and so pass on it's survival/adapatbility factors.

This is what you think the ToE to be, but there's very little overlap between what you think and what is. Evolution has already been observed. I see your knowledge of thermodynamics ranks down there with your knowledge of evolution. With all the resources available on the Internet there is no excuse for this kind of ignorance.
 CountIbli
Msg: 91
Posted: 12/26/2009 11:41:46 AM

The Pixelated Woodpecker ate insect larvae which now run rampant, harming other tree species, and crops, so the bird is having it's revenge on man posthumously.

Wow, sounds like evolution in action.
 Link6376
Msg: 92
Posted: 12/26/2009 12:50:51 PM
Evolution does not apply to us anymore.

End of story.
 Link6376
Msg: 93
Posted: 12/26/2009 1:38:02 PM
Not sure what you mean exactly by that Paul but the research supporting evolution is pretty comprehensive. Have you looked at it?

The point that I was trying to make is that our technology has changed things for us so much that genetic mutations do not increase our survival value anymore. It's no longer survival of the fittest. "Survival of the richest" might be more accurate.

Evolution is driven by genetic mistakes...mutations...sometimes those mutations are beneficial....almost always they are detrimental. It's the rare occasions which are beneficial...say for instance a frog grows an arm....that cause a swing in the development of new species. Name ONE genetic mutation that could cause a human being to be able to "better survive and reproduce." There is none really. I could grow wings...I could breathe fire...none of this matters anymore....we are not being hunted by anything.....

Happy holidays!
 CountIbli
Msg: 94
Posted: 12/26/2009 5:49:08 PM

Evolution does not apply to us anymore.

End of story.

Evolution still applies to us. It will stop when humanity ceases to exist, but not before then. It amazes me how people speak authoritatively on subjects they know nothing about.
 CountIbli
Msg: 95
Posted: 12/26/2009 5:54:08 PM

If this is evolution, what specie has changed?

I'll answer the question once you find out what evolution is.

If this was evolution in action, wouldn't this silly bird have found another way to survive?

Why do you think evolution would prevent the species from going extinct?

What has changed? What has evolved?

The larvae.

That sounds beyond silly to me, unless you meant it sarcastically...........

What's silly is that you choose to remain ignorant about a subject that you pontificate about.
 CountIbli
Msg: 96
Posted: 12/26/2009 6:01:32 PM

Evolution is driven by genetic mistakes...mutations...sometimes those mutations are beneficial....almost always they are detrimental. It's the rare occasions which are beneficial...say for instance a frog grows an arm....that cause a swing in the development of new species. Name ONE genetic mutation that could cause a human being to be able to "better survive and reproduce." There is none really. I could grow wings...I could breathe fire...none of this matters anymore....we are not being hunted by anything.....

We are still evolving. You need to get this idea out of your head that humans somehow can't get any better. Or that evolution is about getting better.

An example of a possible beneficial mutation is a natural resistence to AIDS, which is decimating Africa. Certainly a baby born of a woman with AIDS would be more likely to survive and reproduce if it had a natural resistence to AIDS, rather than dying as a baby because of AIDS.
 aremeself
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2009 6:42:12 PM
for some reason, many want to believe in evolution, but there is no concrete evidence for it.

ccr5 is said to be evidence for evolution. it's a deletion mutation, usually bad, and it was around before aids.
it's a very damaged receptor.

other things adapt, especially bacteria.
bacteria have to adapt to new unprepared for situations.
if adaptation means evolution, then I believe in evolution.
there is no evidence of species change.
also no examples of concrete good mutations.
I think we do have evidence of 10,ooo or so bad mutations.

sickle cell is called a serious decease, are you sure you want to use that as a leading example of a good mutation?

the cell has mutation fixers in it, they do screw up from time to time. the mutations are never 100% good, as far as I have been able to determine.

evolution, in my mind, is just an interesting fantasy, with no proof whatsoever. lots of intimidation though.
for some reason, many want to believe it.
 aremeself
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2009 9:19:08 PM
So, a gene that was already in our body, got shut on, so our bodies could handle milk again.

and that's an example of evolution? I don't think so.
 aremeself
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2009 10:17:39 PM
all the wild goose chases are a bit annoying, but so I learn, I guess.

the evolution pushers on these threads never tell the whole story, or the other side.
extremely slanted information.

there is, to me, a huge difference between adaptation with existing information, and totally newly created information, which evolution needs, which I don't think I have ever been shown.

I have watch many documentaries, and they are just put out as impressionable stories to those who believe evolution already, no proof that I have seen, just made for tv stuff.
I watch them though.

unless you have a very creative imagination, there are no transitional fossils.
 CountIbli
Msg: 103
Posted: 12/28/2009 8:49:00 AM

and that's an example of evolution? I don't think so.

What do you think evolution is? The biggest problem I've found is that almost everybody who is anti-evolution doesn't even know what evolution is.

unless you have a very creative imagination, there are no transitional fossils.

Here's the evidence that you're a liar.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-transitional.html
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/archaeopteryx.html
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/horses/
http://www.talkorigins.org/features/whales/
 aremeself
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2009 11:25:22 AM
fox

how do I go about proving there is no evidence except that there just isn't any concrete proof.

you tell me something, I check it, and it's not really how you say it is, what else can I do?

so don't give me lousy examples.

with a creative imagination, and if you want to believe something, you will believe anything.

everyone knows there is no concrete proof.
we make decisions on questionable evidence.
want, ego, imagination, it all gets in the way of truth.

so, condescending aside, you guys figure the reasonable questioning man in the street will never be able to figure it out?
if I believed that, I would have given up along time ago, and believed the guys in the white coats.

if a person wants to believe in something as wacky as, the whole damn thing happened by itself, there had better be some concrete proof.

I'll check out your sources, but suspect them to be more wild goose chases.
I have only had about 100 of them so far.

so, bottom line, is that milk thing thought to be evolution, in the scientific world?
 aremeself
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2009 11:35:09 AM
O I think I have a pretty good handle on what I am supposed to be brainwashed into thinking what evolution is.

It's, we came from a speck of crap.
now, that, I could believe, but its the, with no help whatsoever that gets me.
that doesn't happen in my world.

an open minded simpleton will learn more than an egotistical smartypants.
 aremeself
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2009 4:23:57 PM
fox, that's ok, I am not learning a thing from you, no new information.

brighter people then you have admitted there is no proof of evolution.

you gave me flawed examples.

if that's the best you got, no wonder many smarter then us, have a problem with the fantasy of evolution.

instead of crying, give me a real examples of brand new information entered into life.
in other words, new information mutations, that to the best of my knowledge has never been witnessed, but, prove me wrong. there should be lots of them, you shouldn't have a problem giving me trillions of them, after all, all of life was built with mistakes, mutations.
for some reason or another, I am asking for the impossible, proof.
ya, other then that, run away.

you can believe any idea you want, but when you or anyone says it as a fact, I want the proof.
 aremeself
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2009 5:09:46 PM
done deflecting? fox?

evolution is still bs.

hey, don't take it personal.

it's just a weak idea.
 aremeself
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2009 5:49:43 PM
quiet, why would I?

give me something I can't pick apart.

just one thing!

give me something refutable that I can't refute.

why should I believe something, just because?

I read most of what is suggested, and find obvious holes in it.

some things people just want to believe, without proof, that's my take on it.
 aremeself
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2009 6:42:08 PM
what do you want to hear?

there are no mutations with new information being witnessed today, which is the cornerstone of evolution.

what do you specifically want to hear?
I can't read your mind.
would you feel more at home if I picked on you?
I don't like to argue that way, kinda silly, don't you think?

otherwise, ya, goodbye.
 That Handy Man
Msg: 113
Posted: 12/28/2009 9:29:55 PM
Sorry, I don't know what has transpired on the last six pages. All I can say, is that it has occurred to me often, that if humans, required either skill, strength or intelligence to survive, that many, many would simply perish!

So, I would have to speculate, that this is not what our Earthly Existence is about, and would say it possibly follows my beliefs about this Earth School being more for our spiritual development.
 CountIbli
Msg: 115
Posted: 12/28/2009 10:22:43 PM

O I think I have a pretty good handle on what I am supposed to be brainwashed into thinking what evolution is.

It's, we came from a speck of crap.

In that case you don't know crap about evolution. Right off the bat you don't know the difference between evolution and abiogenesis, and don't know anything about abiogenesis either. So let me start you off with something more basic.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-intro-to-biology.html
 CountIbli
Msg: 116
Posted: 12/28/2009 10:29:47 PM

You are both hopelessly off thread, basically hijacking it to argue evolution. Fox, if you check out other evolution threads, you will see that aremeslf has no intention of accepting evolution.

Well I've already given the definite answer to the OP. It's not possible to work contrary to our evolution as a species because evolution has no plan for us, unless we kill off the entire species. No matter how we evolve, it's evolution. And as long as mankind exists and reproduces we'll be evolving.
 Twill348
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2009 6:50:49 PM
"So, I would have to speculate, that this is not what our Earthly Existence is about, and would say it possibly follows my beliefs about this Earth School being more for our spiritual development."

Yeah, cause that's how we train kids, by throwing them into a world where every living thing eats every other living thing alive. Fun!! VERY spiritual!! :)
 aremeself
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2009 9:32:44 PM
we are, were, I believe, supposed to be spiritually developing , while living on earth, forever.

I certainly don't want to make that sound like my very own idea.
 Amanisnotforxmas
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2009 3:09:34 AM
If you lived in the UK you would probably notice that the mentally ill are actually running the country.
So the possibility for western nations to self destruct is apparent.
Not to mention the countdown to World War 3, Iran vs Israel.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >