Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  > An Inconvient Dog Ate My Homework      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 matchlight
Msg: 73
view profile
History
An Inconvient Dog Ate My HomeworkPage 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Does anyone know what theories there are, if any, about what caused the Maunder minimum? If it had been volcanoes somewhere, the records would show it. But in the 1500's, no one would have noticed things like the Sun faltering very slightly.
 GolfCoast
Msg: 74
An Inconvient Dog Ate My Homework
Posted: 9/4/2010 5:10:34 PM
The Maunder Minimum was entirely a sun went dormant phenomena. There are sunspot readings that can be recreated by examining ice cores, tree rings, and a number of esoteric and hard to comprehend ancillary tests.

The following is a good layman's primer on climate science, the interesting thing was this guy was way ahead of the curve on discrediting Dr. Michael Mann, the hockey stick guy, now recognized by all as a fraud.

http://www.john-daly.com/hockey/hockey.htm

The Stradivarias violins, long a mystery as to the source of the quality, is now attributed to this period, the growth was wo small, the wood thus becoming so dense, no violins before or since can capture the quality. Think 100 years of growth being an inch of thickness.

A researching of temperatures over time shows a almost complete correlation between sun intensity (sunspot levels) and temperature. of course it makes a more Inconvenient truth if man can cause it, it being harder to create industries and tax policies via sunspots.
 GolfCoast
Msg: 75
Posted: 7/28/2011 6:39:18 PM
Good news out there today on global warming that might just tempt some true believers that it's safe to come out from under the bed they are hiding under.

The first story concerns the the yanking of the scholarly crdentials (gag) of the clown who told Al Gore the polar bears were drowning. Anyone who actually understands the artic and polar bears knew immediately that was a BS story. How they made te bear assume a long face was this guys only achievement. The polar bear population has increased from 5,000 to 20,000 plus in recent decades and their range had expanded so much they were having unpleasant encounters with Grizzly bears.

The second concerns a NASA study wherein global alarmists computer models overstated heat retention from CO2 so dramatically that the models are completely out of whack with actual measurements. I'm surprised and delighted that NSAS was so honest The amount of fraud from governments, universities and the UN have been shocking to adults with an expectation of integrity. You Obama voters are probably still patiently waiting for him to pay your rent and remodel your kitchens.

http://news.yahoo.com/nasa-data-blow-gaping-hold-global-warming-alarmism-192334971.html
 mateo45
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2011 8:37:50 PM
Off topic, although I know that's never stopped some folks here before.....

But speaking of "water"... what accounts for all the paranoia and wing-nuttery we always seem to hear about down there in O.C....?! Yeah, yeah, I know we NorCal folks have all the "fruits and nuts", etc., but it seems everytime you turn around, y'all have some sort of serious weirdness that just puts the rest of us to shame!

Of course there's always the infamous Birchers, and the OC bankruptcy (a first!... the only county to ever declare it!). But I'm talking about all that real ugly stuff, like former Congressman Robert "AIDS is God's answer to Gays" Dornan, or Mayor Dean Grose celebrating Obama's inauguration by sending out pics of watermelons on the White House lawn (classy!), or GOP Central Committee member Marilyn "Obama's an ape" Davenport ("I didn't mean it... honest")! Not to mention all the silly rants (like this thread) that willfully embrace crackpot ideas while ignoring virtually every legit scientific body on the planet!!

And of course now you have that crazy gal who just cut off her husband's pecker and stuck it in the garbage disposal! So what the heck is it with you guys, is it the San Onofre nuke plant, or maybe something in the water??!!!
 GolfCoast
Msg: 77
Posted: 7/28/2011 9:34:11 PM
Mateo you are trying to hard man. No one has seen a Bircher since the 50's, anywhere. And when Repub trash screws up, we take it out. You dems promote it like Ed kennedy and mary Jo, Barney Frank running a call boy ring out of the gov. office. So seriously, although each of us is capable of incredible feats of moronitude....Repubs don't build statues of them, they are not institutionally tone deaf. I know libs are not very strong on making distinctions but should you just somehow manage to absorb this one little lesson you'll be the smartest lib probably in the entire state. No charge my friend^5.
 mateo45
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2011 8:28:32 AM
The whole point of what the people who are saying that we should split the state is that they want to show that the liberal areas are the ones that are living off of the conservative working class. Sure, there are exceptions to everything, but it seems like every large city has slums and homeless, and they are almost all far left.

Go to Irvine, or Orange, or just about any place in Orange County and look for homeless, and gang graffiti, and cars on blocks. You won't see any of that. Yeah, the Inland Empire has its share, but that is whole other discussion. The examples I gave above have nothing to do with race, because another thing that is blown out of proportion is the "race problem".

That may be the case in Orange County (the bankruptcy aside), but we all know that among the so-called "red" parts of this state, it's the exception and not the rule, where virtually all the other red counties are always at the bottom of the heap here. So how do you account for that? And please don't give me all the typical B.S. re: "illegals" and "minorities", etc., which the Coast also has more than it's share of as well.

And I can tell 'ya from first hand experience up here in NorCal, where I do quite a bit of volunteer work with folks on welfare and social services, that them's all some pretty "white" and "anglo" faces I see here!

BTW, thanks for the, um, "free advice", there Golf, though you're still welcome to send me a bill, which I'll gladly pay just as soon as all those Bush era Tax Cuts kick in to jump start the economy (any day now I hear... LOL)!
 ALivingDream
Msg: 79
Posted: 7/29/2011 8:52:19 AM
Dang it I spent so much time typing a response I got timed out!!!

Paul K. I don't know where the heck you live, but I was raised in Irvine. Trust me, we never thought of Orange as the same culture. Each region ( not city) is its own. Anaheim is not Newport or Laguna! I'm sure I have seen grafitti in Orange, most def. in Anaheim! Oh, let's not leave out Tustin...and omg SANTA ANA! The wealthiest place I have ever lived was Santa Ana. It's also the scummiest! I went to school with kids that wore REAL Rolex watches there! Santa Ana's borders are oddly made to include "the hills" which is where I lived. (You know the ones that connect seem like it would be Tustin, but is really Santa Ana, and connects to Orange, Irvine, and Anaheim, yah those!)

Now on the global warming...The jury is still out in my mind, but worth debating. Nothing has been debunked. In studies we know we will find both supporting data and data that refutes it, which is the whole point of investigating.

What I know for sure is that our culture is arrogant and destructive and there is a price to pay for that whether it is global warming or something yet unseen.
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 80
Posted: 7/29/2011 11:11:04 AM
Skooch - I been to Bakersfield, OK ?
There are 2 predominant odors in that town : Cow poop, and petroleum.
Breathe deep, it's all good!

For those of you who are history buffs, native Americans called my area "land of the smokes" 150 years before cars were invented.
 ALivingDream
Msg: 81
Posted: 7/29/2011 2:30:18 PM
Thanks for the seemingly obvious tip PAul. I didn't think to try that. I concede OC is "better" overall which is why the property values are better (relatively speaking) in this economy. If there is global warming, just tell me where I need to purchase my inland property and how long I need to wait before it becomes beachfront!
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 82
Posted: 7/29/2011 2:33:00 PM
Skooch, my education predates Google.
Look up Chumash Indians to further your own knowledge.

I did not say gas. I said petroleum. As in drilling, pumping, etc.
 GolfCoast
Msg: 83
Posted: 7/29/2011 3:46:48 PM
Skooch look up Valley of Smokes, the Indiginous folks called the SGV-SFV this name because the smoke from fires never left. (note once again I break my rule of researching for Libs, there are enough hours in my life to relieve their knowledge vacuum)

Aliving hold off on beachfront dreams, Al Gore made so much selling the dull on global warming he was able to purschase a beachfront home, 8 foot above mean low tide, in Montecito.
 GolfCoast
Msg: 84
Posted: 9/15/2011 2:39:12 PM
A couple of important and under-reported stories from the world of Climate Change, or whatever the left is calling it this week. Keywords include...Nobel prize winner

I have edited to be brief but included the links. Not in order of importance:

1. Dr. Ivar Giaever, a former professor with Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and the 1973 winner of the Nobel Prize in physics, abruptly announced his resignation Tuesday, Sept. 13, from the premier physics society in disgust over its officially stated policy that "global warming is occurring."

Giaever does not agree -- "I resign from APS," Giaever wrote.

Giaever was cooled to the statement on warming theory by a line claiming that "the evidence is incontrovertible."

"The claim … is that the temperature has changed from ~288.0 to ~288.8 degree Kelvin in about 150 years, which (if true) means to me is that the temperature has been amazingly stable, and both human health and happiness have definitely improved in this 'warming' period," his email message said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/09/14/nobel-prize-winning-physicist-resigns-from-top-physics-group-over-global/#ixzz1Y3hDouht

2. The second article involves the theory I subscribe to re: climate which is "the sun is either too hot or too cold" at any point in time which is inconvenient to someone. Seriously it also involves theories regard variability in cloud formations (think water not CO2) and involving solar storms and cosmic rays. The notion that .003% of the CO2 being anthropogenic and where CO2 is a tiny trace gas versus the sun which can turn my skin bright red in 15 minutes or freeze a bucket of ice an hour after sunset seems compelling.

The CERN, the folks in Switzerland with the super particle collider thingy have proved the theory of cloud formation unequivocally. Llots of scientists will be running for their "settled science" claims ( See story #1,)

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100102296/sun-causes-climate-change-shock/
 BrownInOrange
Msg: 85
Posted: 9/15/2011 11:12:22 PM
F*cking dog!

I didn't bother reading your post OP. Sorry. LOL.
Show ALL Forums  > California  > An Inconvient Dog Ate My Homework