Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 late™
Msg: 14
A natural phenomena ?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
How much would you bet?...It looks more like some kind of aurora-like plasma display to me... Somebody playing Haarp on a computer?

Hmm... with you my friend? ...a 6 pack of Unibroue's , "Don de Dieu" from my La Belle Provence, against a premium microbrew 6 of your choice (Tappist style preferrably), from Manitoba, my old stomping grounds.

Haarp against a failed ICBM?
 aremeself
Msg: 15
view profile
History
A natural phenomena ?
Posted: 12/9/2009 9:37:05 PM
late, like beer?

try classic premium ale...........co-op, believe it or not, made by big rock. [its cheap too]

no co-op in Qbec?
 late™
Msg: 17
A natural phenomena ?
Posted: 12/10/2009 12:19:49 AM
try classic premium ale...........co-op, believe it or not, made by big rock. [its cheap too]

I've had all the Big Rock stuff, I particularly like "Warthog". Ottawa is just across the river, and the LCBO being the largest procurer of wine, beer and spirits in the world means I can get practically anything.

As far as the light show though, I still see it more likely a physical thing (missile gone bad) than an "energy" one at this point. So perhaps the seasonal brew "Missile Tow Ale" (8%) from the Regina brew pub "Bushwakker" would be more appropriate.

ither way we have nothing to fear other than believing a lie.....

{facepalm}
 nipoleon
Msg: 18
view profile
History
A natural phenomena ?
Posted: 12/10/2009 2:30:55 AM
Being in Las Vegas, Nevada we are not too far away from Vandenberg Air Force base. Sometimes, whenever a missile is launched from Vandenberg the trail of exhaust gases produce spectacular and colorful shapes in the sky, usually just above the horizon .
It usually happens when a missile is launched just before sunrise or just after sunset. The exhaust gases are multi-colored in all shades of the rainbow, reds, greens, blues, yellows . They randomly shift with the prevailing air flow and can last for as long as an hour.

The video I've seen of the Norwegian phenomena don't look anything like the missile exhaust trails I've seen. However, the conditions might have been different producing a different effect.
A missile launch would be my 1st. guess about what it was.
 late™
Msg: 19
A natural phenomena ?
Posted: 12/10/2009 5:00:14 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jW5e1IL3lgxKyVzZDuYMxiYpUlOAD9CGE2UG0

Hmmm?

Dang! Nobody took my bet.
 late™
Msg: 21
A natural phenomena ?
Posted: 12/10/2009 7:04:41 AM
Late
I noticed in that artical that you linked up , that the russians claim to have had a failed missle test..but even still, had no idea what that blue light was themselfs.
could that be a second coincendence ?

I'm thinkin', "no coincidences"
http://news.google.ca/news/more?pz=1&cf=all&cf=all&ncl=d24RGULkrbpJK7MXEj7Sn5TzvkXKM

I doubt any will take my bet now, save those who are terminally afflicted with confirmation bias.

But, .....what can you do?

it would not rule out demons posing as aliens in a spacecraft from another planet

Do they have any beer?

(sigh)
 aremeself
Msg: 22
view profile
History
A natural phenomena ?
Posted: 12/10/2009 9:20:32 AM
did they find a small boy in the rocket? somebody asked.

failed russian rocket launch from a sub, is that it then?

guess we won't know for a while.
 coveredinpaint
Msg: 24
A natural phenomena ?
Posted: 12/10/2009 9:54:27 AM
Since we know that it is impossible for alien races to reach our planet due to the extreme distances of space, we can safely eliminate extraterestrials as being the cause of this phenomenon.

Looks like malfunctioning human technology to me, so the Russians are probably responsible.
 late™
Msg: 25
A natural phenomena ?
Posted: 12/10/2009 11:14:41 AM
Personally..I think it was the Russians also ,timing it to say 'hello' to Mr Obama.

You should check the history of that particular missile, and it's testing, ....and it's failures, ...and the expense these failures represent. and maybe you might reconsider the notion that the Russians would say hello by making the statement

"Comrade Barack! Look at our failure to launch Missile!"

This makes sense?

Also, see post #25
 late™
Msg: 27
A natural phenomena ?
Posted: 12/10/2009 11:32:14 AM

The Kremlin has touted the missile as a unique weapon capable of breaching any air defense and a way to bolster the country's once mighty submarine fleet.

Hmmm... it's unique alright. LOL!

Late..
Enjoy that beer !

Cheers dude!

Great thread, and great timing. It was good that you posted it so early on so we could all speculate. And I'm particularly happy about it not being Satan's demons masquerading as alien space invaders from the planet Skyron in the Andromeda galaxy plotting to sabotage some obscure Norwegian sporting event or something....
 aremeself
Msg: 28
view profile
History
A natural phenomena ?
Posted: 12/10/2009 11:36:49 AM
are the russians blaming shoddy, post revolution workmanship, for the low success rate of these missiles?

they must be tinkering with them, [fixing] but its not working.

maybe just bad design.
 late™
Msg: 29
A natural phenomena ?
Posted: 12/10/2009 11:47:57 AM
You may be right, but when you think about it for a second, ...the outcome (cool light show), is a much better result than the damned thing's intended purpose. In my book, this makes it a successful launch.

Nobody had to die.

JustDukky
Msg: 31
A natural phenomena ?
Posted: 12/10/2009 11:58:14 AM

...alien space invaders from the planet Skyron in the Andromeda galaxy...

Have they paid for those kilts yet?
 late™
Msg: 32
A natural phenomena ?
Posted: 12/10/2009 12:17:41 PM
I am off to find the next story that makes me go... hmmm

Gotta' admit, the pictures were spectacular on this one. It's going to be hard to top.

Have they paid for those kilts yet?

Perhaps we were all saved by...
http://orangecow.org/games/neutrongame11.gif
 late™
Msg: 34
Norway Spiral: A natural phenomena ?
Posted: 12/11/2009 8:02:11 PM
An "anti-anti-missile-defence" feature?

VERY interesting in so many ways.

This thread just keeps on "giving"

(this opens up a door to Kubrick/Strangelove references, there's certainly already enough Gen. Ripper content)

Flouride!
 late™
Msg: 36
A natural phenomena ?
Posted: 12/11/2009 11:06:17 PM
I think part of the reason that the visuals were so ....other-worldly (snicker), is due to the fact that this occurred just before sunrise. That there are still doubters as to cause here, merely suggests to me the power of confirmation bias.
 late™
Msg: 45
A natural phenomena ?
Posted: 12/12/2009 9:03:42 PM

Does anyone know why the UN and other nations are NOT condeming Russia for these launches ?

What treaty does the test violate?
 late™
Msg: 47
A natural phenomena ?
Posted: 12/12/2009 9:14:43 PM
I just didnt think countries could go firing missles over other UN countries without any warning

While the "spiral" could be "seen" from Norway, I've read a few articles, none that states that the missile tracked over a sovereign nation, which?

Could you be filling in conditions for this; "why hasn't any body complained about" question, that don't exist?

Sorry, the first place I go to when I see a comment or question like that is the "law of parsimony".

late™
Msg: 49
A natural phenomena ?
Posted: 12/12/2009 9:38:22 PM
Do you not find the all the silence just a little wierd tho

Because of "pretty lights" in the sky, ....silence? No, lots of talk about it.

Look at all the stink when NK shot of a few missles a couple months ago.

Rogue state, their president thinks he's Elvis....

why is NO ONE saying anything at all ?

I can find hundreds of articles on a Google News search....

So whats your take on all this...just regular missle failure ?

Obviously not, it was one (if a failure and not a feature) with spectacular, pre-dawn visuals.

There, I can discuss this without having to invent, fabricate, or otherwise introduce multiple unknown entities. Or I could insist it was due to the theft of leprechaun boot-buckle dust, which would you find more credible, more probable?
 late™
Msg: 51
A natural phenomena ?
Posted: 12/12/2009 10:02:04 PM
I am not about to get into a name calling pissing contest

Neither am I, I think you missed the point and instead inferred a taunt where none was intended.

What if: instead of "the theft of leprechaun boot-buckle dust", we substitute, "Visitors from beyond Earth" or "Secret particle beam weapons" or "------insert conspiracy theory here-----"?

All these are equal to "the theft of leprechaun boot-buckle dust" in regards to the Law of Parsimony:

"When competing hypotheses are equal in other respects, the principle recommends selection of the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions and postulates the fewest entities while still sufficiently answering the question."

We know there was a missile test.
 aremeself
Msg: 52
view profile
History
A natural phenomena ?
Posted: 12/12/2009 10:37:25 PM
are there not many videos of other, night missile failures? [for comparison?]

when these missiles are loaded with bombs, and fall back in your lap, do they cause a ruckus, or are they 'adjusted' before they drop on there intended target? [armed]
 milt_n_bradley
Msg: 61
A natural phenomena ?
Posted: 12/16/2009 5:02:29 AM
Yep...Russian Rocket Failure...
Yep

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/12/10/norway.ufo.light/
 BowdenK
Msg: 64
Norway Spiral
Posted: 12/16/2009 6:10:20 PM
Damn it all. You know the most annoying thing is that these sorts of events almost seem like a distraction, or at least the way they're handled by the media. No wonder there are conspiracy nuts out there. I cannot find a single article, ANYWHERE, giving a concrete explanation of the event. A bunch of maybes and possibly(s).

It is engineered as though they are creating a focal point for social excitement and attention, which is a tactic of distraction and diversion. I do not feel that is the case but there are brains in the world that make those connections and fly with 'em. Does anyone have a solid report on this? Please link, if so.

The blue book and MoD ufo junk is officially closed up, so I wonder who gets to look into crazy blue whirly gigs in the sky now.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Norway Spiral
Posted: 12/16/2009 8:52:00 PM
I agree, Bowden; this spiral thing hasn't been very effectively reported on. However, for anyone interested, the Russian military did admit to a failed Bulava missile test launched from the White Sea.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1234773/The-answer-mystery-Norways-spiral-light-display-Was-failed-Russian-Bulava-missile-test.html

I'm sure that people will debate this, so I'm not trying to defend any point of view. I personally believe it was a missile, but we're all big people here, so believe what you want. :)
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >