Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > welfare suggestions for single parents - your ideas.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 singlesuperdad
Msg: 26
view profile
History
welfare suggestions for single parents - your ideas.Page 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Many of you just think you have all the answers. But it's not as easy as you think.

I never so much as collected unemployment in my life, I figured I could find a new job before I got a check. When my son was born I was making about 2000 a week and already had 3 kids at home. I brought him home at 2 days old. He was unable to go to daycare till he was two months old (first shots). So I lost my job, which was a 24 hour call type of job. They asked if I would still be able to jump and go on a phone call and the answer was no. I had to get help till I could find another job that would allow me to get my kids to daycare and school, work, and pick them up everyday. It is hard enough to find a good job nowdays but when there are conditions it is harder. I never planned to have to change carreers. Early drop off for daycare here is 6:30 and my daughter can't be dropped off at school any earlier than 7:30. So I can't be to work before 8:00 and the kids need to be picked up at 6:00. Which leaves me only being able to work between 8 and 5. Most jobs in my field want me there earlier or want me there later or both. These aren't excuses, they are facts. Also I have doctors and other meeting that I have to be able to go to for the kids and some employers won't deal with that. Which has brought me to realize if I want to work the hours I want and still be able to get to appointments I have to be self employed and biulding a business isn't easy either and takes time.
 mcalgary
Msg: 27
view profile
History
welfare suggestions for single parents - your ideas.
Posted: 12/12/2009 12:27:39 PM

Sweetness, I had a decentcareer before my daughter was born but it was nights and not suitable for a parent. I would work most of the night, sleep all morning then do more work at home or be out doing PR for myself. Now my job experience doesn't qualify me for more then telemarketting and retail/food services. So I wasn't in this situation before my daughter thankyouverymuch.

I can respect that you would have to do a career change but there are way more jobs out there than I think you realize (In BC anyways). Everyone moans and whines about there being no jobs or I have to work retail or Fast food. So what if you do. It is just to get some more job experience where you would then be able to find a better job and most of those jobs are very very flexible for single parents. I could guarantee you a job within a week as long as you actually tried in the interview.
 KarmicEvolution
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2009 9:24:12 PM
I worked retail and fast food and the whole selection of minimum wage jobs. If I was to go back to those jobs now the majority of my paychecks would be going directly into daycare. I have no issue with people who work those jobs to support their families and if I had to I would too, daycare costs or not.

As for the 24/7 nursing jobs etc... If they can make it work good on them! Overnight daycare is almost double the cost of daytime care. Plus these people have educations allowing them to make a significantly different paycheck then mine was.

I was contracting out to bars, coming home smelling of booze and drunks sweat at 4am just wasnt an option for me anymore. As I said, I was told to go get my education and so I am. I take care of my daughter, do respite care for my grandfather with dementia and the rest of the time Im elbow deep in text books and research trying to make something better of myself. People can say what they want about me, I dont care. Im doing whats right for me and my family.
 rustic36
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/12/2009 11:00:22 PM
Let's fish,
You forgot to add the approximate $600+ a month for family tax benefit that parents also get on top of their parenting payment. I'm pretty sure that Australia's welfare system pays out more than most countries in the world. I know there are a few countries that pay more but, not many..

I think all welfare, whether it is parenting, job search allowances etc, should be based on what the person has already contributed to society. For example, the more tax you have paid, the higher the rate of welfare you receive if you ever need it. That way, those that have never worked and are part of the generations of welfare recipients get the bare minimum. Those that have worked since day dot and contributed to society are eligible for better welfare assistance. Then, the longer you are on the system, the less you get within a given time frame.

The catch 22 for governments is; they have to provide for people that have nothing. It would go against humanity if governments allowed people to starve to death, especially children.

The problem with the system is; those who refuse to work eventually get put at the bottom of the pile and forgotten about. They still get paid but, no one bothers them. You have some person 25 years-old who has never worked a day in their lives, their parents have never worked and grandparents have never worked. Families that have been welfare dependent for generations but, governments just choose to let them be and pay them, cause its easier.. This is where the governments have to really become tough (not just say they are getting tougher) and make/force, these people to work for their welfare payment. Those that don't turn up to work lose a percentage of their payment until they eventually get booted off or only given some kind of food collection right. We have plenty of road ways, parks, beaches, water ways etc., that need cleaning. The elderly need people to mow their lawns and so on. This is what the "dole "bludgers" should be made to do.. Surely after some time they will sit back and think.. Hmm, I have to work to get the welfare, so I might as well get a real job and earn double+ the income.

Education or should I say, lack of education is one of the biggest problems with the long-term welfare recipient. They have little education, little social education and little to no work experience. They have little positive influence in their lives and it is very hard to make them realise that working for your money is more satisfying and rewarding than claiming benefits. Plus, when you work, you can actually afford to buy things rather than steal them or have them given to you. The problem is breaking the "built-in" mentality that these people have.

Basically, I believe those people that work and have worked and paid their taxes deserve to have a decent parenting allowance while their children are below school age. However, those who do not contribute deserve nothing or at the very least, very little. What incentive do they have to work when they can keep having kids to different fathers, get baby bonuses, parenting allowance, government housing, free health care and so on. Then the kids from these people grow up with the same "lack-of-work-ethic", are mistreated, not well cared for, live in housing where parents spend their welfare check on alcohol and drugs and basically have a negative upbringing. Where do they end up? The next generation of welfare recipients.

But then, you have the yin and yang..lol.. The economy needs a certain amount of unemployed to stay on track. I think it would be impossible to have everyone working unless you shipped off the bludgers to some other country. However, get rid of the bludgers and then those who work and at some stage need the welfare, would be able to have a higher welfare income while finding work. Or, the pensioners (old people) could have higher retirement pensions. I think its pathetic that a hard working retired Australian gets the same amount of money in their pension check as the dole-bludger who has never worked a day in their life.
We seem to help those that don't help themselves but, ignore and make it difficult for those who have worked and contributed to society.

very good point. Then of course we have the city workers who sit on thier asses collecting a paycheck and not working. We just had a city worker suspended over here after he was caught sleeping on the job. Nice use of the taxpayers money there, buddy. Wish I could get paid to sleep.

Become a crane operator! Some crane jobs are a "just-in-case-we-need-one" job. You might be there all night just in case they need a lift. The good ol operator sits in his cab, chair reclined back, radio on, snoozing away on double time..
 lets fish!
Msg: 30
Posted: 12/13/2009 2:47:12 AM

You have some person 25 years-old who has never worked a day in their lives, their parents have never worked and grandparents have never worked. Families that have been welfare dependent for generations but, governments just choose to let them be and pay them, cause its easier.. This is where the governments have to really become tough (not just say they are getting tougher)

Hey rustic and the poster after you (sorry Im too new to know how to do this properly lol)

I LOVED your points and opinions, possibly the BEST I've seen and you 2 have really thought this over and I really HOPE you have forwarded these ideas to your governments.

Rustic.

In response to your quote above, you are SPOT on with the generational welfare attitude. Its as frustrating as hell when you have 2 generations of welfare attend in high spirits to apply when the 16 year old is dropping out of school as she is pregnant and both the mother and the grandparent cement the attitude by saying "she cant look for work or go to school because she's pregnant"..
HELLO??!!!! Since WHEN did pregnancy become a disability?????????

We are tougher at the 'coal face' than you think Rustic, but its very VERY tricky as the legislation has more potholes than the road to mt Baw Baw.

Theres loads more to it, enough to boggle the mind lol. We don't just let them be, far from it. The amount of time that goes towards investigating and counseling these people is huge.
But then you are slammed for 'harassing' the under privalidged. You cannot win nor please everyone.
 lets fish!
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/13/2009 2:54:16 AM
Jimmy I LOVED your post

While getting more money reduced my benefits and it seemed I had less to work with, I was still moving forward until the point that I didn't need to walk into that office to reapply for benefits. The big kicker was when my kids were old enough that I didn't need to use daycare any longer. That opened up more opportunities for a better job while dropping what I viewed as my biggest expense.

As for those that want to remain on the system and make if their lifestyle, fine, but with many stipulations.

I really think that those whom have the attitude that its just easier to remain welfare dependent and not lift their game, have a mental 'block' which keeps them firmly entrenched in believing that its a 'safety net' of sorts, and that this is as far as they can fall so its 'safe'.
I see that 'hopelessness' day in day out and it seems to me to be the common denominator.

Motivational courses are run for parents returning to work but I honestly think we need to have these run a LOT earlier - in schools - and drive the point home that people can live far BETTER if they learn to be self sufficient.
 mcalgary
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2009 2:56:26 AM

Now any of these certified daycares can run up to $1000 a week.

Now where are these daycares costing that much??? I live just outside of Vancouver, one of the most expensive places for cost of living and have never heard of anything close to this. Both of my children have attended top quality daycares and have never even come close to that cost. In fact, I could send them to Meadowridge School for less than that and it is one of the top private schools in BC. You can make good arguements for State run daycares but come on don't inflate your numbers to try and make a point. It just takes away from your other (good) arguements. My only problem with a state run daycare is if the employees were union (which they would be I am sure) the threat of a strike would be hung over our heads every couple of years just like teachers or nurses constantly do now.

As for 2 years of mat/parental leave. Remember that you only get EI for that period. 2 years on only EI would be very tough and not many employer that currently top you up would do it for another full year. 1 year is very reasonable and more than you get in most countries. Although I do agree that at 2 your child is more ready to go to a daycare situation than at only 1.

Everytime we come up with more ways to have bigger better social programs or state run daycare the money has to come from somewhere and even if you have a totally inept provincial or federal government they only waste so much and other programs will have to be cut to make room or we have to raise taxes and, I am sorry but, I already pay too much in taxes.
 lets fish!
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/13/2009 3:11:44 AM
Speaking of childcare costs.. I've read a whole load of exaggerated excuses on this forum..
I will say that TOO BAD if it costs you the same amount as it would to stay home with your child, its not your CHOICE to make when you are relying on taxpayers to fund your lifestyle.
If you are able then just do it! TOO BAD if its 'just' a fast food joint. Think about the taxpayer working at the 'just' fast food joint that are PAYING for your choice of lifestyle.
 rustic36
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/13/2009 5:08:59 AM
Public housing is crazy in the state I live in..
There are loads of people on the waiting list who have children, are clean and tidy and work for minimum wage while trying to support their family. But, it appears as those who deliberately damage a home they are living in, then complain to the housing trust that their home is not fit to live in get a home relatively quickly. Plus, a criminal finishes their sentence and is released and put straight into government housing.. So, if you don't want to wait years to get one of the houses, just break the law, do a stint in prison and you will get your home for your family. It would seem that sometimes the criminals get looked after better than the people who abide by the law and are simply, genuinely struggling.

Lets Fish..
I was going through the process a couple of years ago to get new-start while between jobs.. I had a casual job but it was all over the place.. I got stuffed around that much that, in the end I just said: Look, you know what? bugga this, I can't believe that your making it so difficult for me yet, ol' bludger over there gets what he wants.. I've just come out of a job that the tax I paid weekly would cover two dole-bludgers welfare payments a week, yet I am the one that gets put through the ringer.. I then said, don't worry about it, one day of work (when they called) pays more than you'll pay me in a fortnight.

I asked one of the guys in those "job network" places; tell me, why is it such a difficult process for me but all these other people that have never worked in their life gets away with murder and still gets paid? He was the one that told me that, after 3 months on benefits they will start to harass you if you haven't found a job. However, he then went on to say that, those who refuse to work (lifetime bludgers) end up at the bottom of the pile because they are the "too difficult" to deal with cases.. Pay and forget... I said, why don't they just kick off and stop paying them? He said that because of protection laws or something, they aren't really allowed to let children go without a home or something.. Too long ago to remember now.. But, basically he said, they know these people won't work, won't participate in courses etc, so simply put, pay and forget. They get hassled every once in a while..

The way I see it is.. If you can't find a job with in three months, then either you want a break from work for a bit or you don't want to work.. I mean, after three months without finding your preferred employment, then, hey, it's time to take whatever comes along and then keep looking while your working in a less than desired job. Looks better if you are still employed, even if it is a crap job.. Shows strength of character..

Long-termers carry the attitude that the government or society owes them something..
I'm still trying to work out what it is..lol.. Maybe we owe them because their mum and dad and grandparents didn't work.. So that's our fault.. ;) It would seem obvious that children coming from these families need to be educated in a different type of curriculum than the normal education process. Clearly, they don't fit in and need to be educated in a way that suits their up-bringing to enable them to finish school and make something of themselves and break the vicious cycle their family is trapped in.
Although looking in on the outside it looks abnormal, to them, it is a normal life. It's the only way they know because no one else has taken the time to show them how much more they can get out of life with a little effort and determination.
 Strings6
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2009 6:32:50 AM
All of this makes one wonder how mankind ever made it to the 60s when the modern welfare state began,assuming people had problems in life before then.
 carterscutie85
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/13/2009 6:37:17 AM
^^

In the 60's there wasn't as many divorced couples or single parents. Divorce happened, of course, but not as much as it does today. Men were still pretty much the breadwinners and didn't deny their children or walk away as much as they do nowadays. And the economy was a lot better than it is now. Not all, but many people who collect welfare are single parents, and alot of them have no help from the child's father or mother, which increases the need for welfare.
 Strings6
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2009 11:19:27 AM
Then i suppose the large majority of the population will be on welfare in the coming years....the trend being what it is.
 venndiagram
Msg: 38
Posted: 12/13/2009 12:49:57 PM
ts not forget that most of our federally/provincially paid jobs ...teachers,waste collection, licencing agents , city workers , road crews , transit workers , etc..... practically everyone who receives an inflated paycheck and annual raises to match or exceed inflation , and then have the audacity to go on strike and hold the taxpayer at ransom ....

Ive been a teacher for 20 years and not ever been on strike. I dont work for you, I work for the public- of which you are a very small part. I pay my taxes too, so essentially I work for myself then.

Every public servant that does not recognize the fact that they work for me , and their role is to serve me , and not the other way around

When I buy a car, I'm paying for the cost of the salaries of the automotive workers- does that mean you work for me? Do I have the right to complain when GM workers go on strike?
 kissmyasthma
Msg: 39
Posted: 12/13/2009 2:22:11 PM
^^^^^^What do you teach ? Gym?

Your logic is flawed and you should be thankful you are blessed with a teaching job but let's see if you feel the same when the automatic inflation raises stop or you actually have to work all year and not get unemployment for the summer.

You already bought the car so an auto worker strike does not affect you in any way. Your purchase theory might have made sense if gm was the ONLY manufacturer of cars.

When you go on strike you affect many people and usually it is over something petty. What my local school board deals with because now teachers have adopted a work to rule mentality is hiring people to supervise lunch time or the hallways.
Great union and I can't believe they are paid so much. People who sweat it out at McDonalds work harder for less.
 My I
Msg: 40
Posted: 12/13/2009 4:51:49 PM

Your logic is flawed and you should be thankful you are blessed with a teaching

^^^Your thinking is flawed.
Most teachers spent thousands upon thousands of dollars to get a degree, get a masters just to qualify to apply. After reading your profile, I see that you've spent thousands on tobacco and drugs.... what makes you think I should be obligated to care for your health care? You're abusing your body and my tax dollars. You should be thankful I don't have a choice in that matter.
I love irony.

If a person didn't want to work menial jobs, why didn't they finish their education before they had children?

Because life owed them a living (sarcasm).

What my local school board deals with because now teachers have adopted a work to rule mentality

Do you understand what work to rule means? It means the teachers are no longer doing tasks that the board took for granted. In other words, teachers who are coaching teams, doing extraciricular activities and supervising kids at lunch - all for free - have no contactual obligation to do so.
Before you rant about that, it can be resolved very easily.... the board should hire coaches, hire lunchroom supervisors, hall monitors, etc. Just think how much more in taxes you'd be paying if the teachers didn't do that for free?
I was very athletic in school. I'm thankful for the free coaching, free training and free understanding these teachers provided.... it's not their obligation to do those things.

These parents should be able to place these girls into some sort of teen mother home so these girls can work and support their own children, or have the children placed with an adult family

Splitting up the family is worthless and foolish..... it accomplishes nothing but grief and hardship.

What I wanted to hear was some well thought out SOLUTIONS and ideas on what changes should be looked at for improving the welfare system

I think those who are on welfare should have a legal responsibility to submit daily/weekly journals of their daily activity. They need to be held accountable for their behaviour. If they fail to submit reports of some sort, they fail to qualify for money - that would make things more stringent and less manipulative.

Needing the system is one thing. But, when a welfare system provides income to "2nd, 3rd generation" welfare families that needs to stop.
 kissmyasthma
Msg: 41
Posted: 12/13/2009 5:14:55 PM
Please, a masters.... right. Drive a car jackass, I guess you think I should pay for caring for all the pollution they cause. How many people die each year from smog?

Please my taxes on smokes more than covers the impact. And single parents are more costly to a business than a smoker in lost productivity. Check it. My logic is just fine.

Our whole education system up till now was originally set up to prepare the lower classes for factory work to begin with. We are not sending them there to be free spirits. It's called sytematic training akin to a pavlonian way of life. Hear the bell yet?

Yeah I guess teachers have lost the true calling that they used to, hence my statement of working to rule.

We are now at a point where we cannot provide an adequate life for all citizens through created work. We have masked this with the welfare system.

Oh and trust me if I spend more than forty a month on tobacco I'm lucky and if you can grow your own, weed is a cheap habit. I guess your drug plan at work covers all your pharm meds because it sound like you use them quite often.
 KarmicEvolution
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2009 5:49:24 PM

If a person didn't want to work menial jobs, why didn't they finish their education before they had children?

Read the whole topic... Im getting my education for my second career.
 kissmyasthma
Msg: 43
Posted: 12/13/2009 6:45:26 PM
Oh and MyI, if you drink alchohol ------ bite me , it's a drug you moron.
 venndiagram
Msg: 44
Posted: 12/13/2009 8:28:34 PM
What do you teach ? Gym?
I teach Math and English- I have 3 degrees, one of which is in Economics.

You already bought the car so an auto worker strike does not affect you in any way.
I will be affected in terms of the cost of my next car, and the general effect on the economy.

When you go on strike you affect many people and usually it is over something petty.
Maybe you can't read- I stated I have never been on strike. Not once in 20 years.

not get unemployment for the summer
I do not collect unemployment in the summer- I am paid for 194 days of work, spread out over 12 months of payment. If I miss a day of work not covered by sick leave 1/194 of my salary is deducted.

because now teachers have adopted a work to rule mentality
Work to rule means teachers only do what is in their contracts- all the free things stop. Amazingly, even after hearing years of comments like yours, teachers still give willingly of their time to children.

Great union and I can't believe they are paid so much
If it is such a great job, and so easy to do- why aren't you teaching? I'd be happy to have you come and job shadow me for a day- if you think you'd be able to handle it.
 mcalgary
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2009 12:57:28 AM

I'll tell you where Kamloops BC. I'm not at the coast if I was I probably could find other alternatives for daycare. But daycare here is in short supply so what happens the prices go up. There are limited spots so they raise the prices. I'm looking at $45-50 a day... lets say 22 days at $45 i'm looking at $990 if I pay $50 a day I'm looking at $1100 so I really don't think I exaggerated much because I've already looked at the cost of daycare in my community and know what it will cost me. Yes I could get cheaper daycare but that would be at someone's house for $25-30 ($550-$660) a day and they don't have the same qualifications. How would I be able to guarantee the quality of daycare my daughter is getting? Could I make sure that they are not smoking around my child?

Ok, I just called a friend of mine that lives in Kamloops and has 3 children (2,4,6) in daycare. And she has no idea where these daycares are. She pays approx. $650 for the 2 year old and $475 for the 4 year old. She did have to wait on a wait list for about 2 months to get them in there but that is just what you have to do sometimes. Your getting you numbers based on a per day basis and no childcare centre (professional qualified centre) charges based on a per day basis. Only if your part time care for your children. Also, if your low income you receive a subsidy from the province (yes, those hated liberals will help) lowering that cost by about 200 per month per child. This is a subsidy I fully support by the way. You are making excuses as usual for a person on Welfare. Although I do have no problem with a person being on support with children 2 and under.
 rustic36
Msg: 46
Posted: 12/14/2009 2:36:56 AM
This is an estimate fortnightly payment for an Australian single parent (1 child) renting a property for $300 per week and earning $200 a fortnight from work. Not including benefits like, dirt cheap medication, free health care, some cheaper rates like telephone power etc..This is based on the child living in the parents house for 12 days out of the fortnight (2 days at other parent) and based on receiving $5000 annual CS payment from ex spouse.

Parenting Payment - Single $561.08
Family Tax Benefit Part A $125.44 (this can be higher depending on income - this scenario based on $18,000 annual income, pretty sure thats combined income [parenting payment + employment income)
Family Tax Benefit Part B $133.56
Rent Assistance $92.54 (think this can be up to $150 per fortnight)
Estimated Family Assistance payment $351.54
Employment income, Other income and Compensation Direct Deductions $200.00
Deemed Income $0.15
Gross total estimate $1112.77
Estimated taxation liability $5.41 or 3%
Net total estimate $1107.36 (fortnightly single parent welfare payment)

This could be higher or lower depending on other variables but, thats about average I would say for a single parent with one child.

I'd say thats not too bad for nothing.. $550 in the hand per week.. more than some people earn working a 40 hour week.. And some still complain its not enough..pfft
 carterscutie85
Msg: 47
Posted: 12/14/2009 5:17:44 AM

Then i suppose the large majority of the population will be on welfare in the coming years....the trend being what it is.

Why do you think so many people are on welfare? It's so bad here, that you can't even call down to Job & Family anymore to ask about your case. You have to go down there, sit for hours and hours, just to be seen. And sometimes, u don't even get seen, because they only see X amount of people per day, and when u come in, they have no way of knowing whether that X amount has been met, so u end up sitting for hours until someone comes down and tells people they are done for the day.

People these days don't have morals like they did back in the day. That's why they abandon their families and children. Many people have become selfish and greedy, thinking of their own wants and desires above their childrens, so they go take care of themselves rather than taking care of their responsibilities, and then the custodial parent in turn leans on welfare for the support they aren't getting from their ex partner.
 cookie22222
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2009 7:48:08 AM
Welfare should exist - but it shouldn't be a way of life. People who can't afford their children - shouldn't have had them in the first place. I would have loved to have 5...but only had two and struggled to raise them. I understand the economy is bad, and I understand things happen and welfare should be a safety net. That Canadian "parenting payment" thing - ye gods! That's just crazy.

Nobody ever offered me a free education to get a better life for myself and my kids - of course, I guess I was too busy working to take care of them at the time.
 mcalgary
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2009 11:46:48 AM

Now is this $200 for low income families or would only single parents income be low enough to qualify? Now wouldn't it be better to give that $200 for every young family that has a family with a child in daycare age kind of like what the conservatives have done with the $100 a month for a child under the age of 6?
Because no one complains about that $100 i think most people with young children would just enjoy it. I know I used that money for my daughter's education funds.

I must admit that I totally underestimated you. You are bang on with this statement. Very impressed.

One note is that she lives on the North Shore but the daycare is very top notch (according to her) and not in someones house.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2009 12:37:21 PM
I think a good way to do it to make sure the money is not used on drugs, booze, cigarettes or cell phone sex is to have trucks go around like Africare does delivering a pasty flavorless gruel that provides the basic requirements for survival. It should have music like the ice-cream trucks, but it should go "Here comes the welfare meal, come and get your welfare meal" over and over. That way we take care of the hunger needs and we can all get a good laugh at the same time. It would all so motivate some of them lazy no good bums to get off there butts and find a real job.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > welfare suggestions for single parents - your ideas.