Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > welfare suggestions for single parents - your ideas.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mcalgary
Msg: 51
view profile
History
welfare suggestions for single parents - your ideas.Page 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Well then I guess she doesn't live in the North Shore. It is just north of the Aberdeen Mall on the other side of the highway on the side of the hill. Very nice area, newer house. I have been there many times. Just assumed that was the North Shore.

To be honest, I don't really have a problem with a universal daycare system as long as they don't try to make every child over 2 go there, as many of the Liberal MP's were touting in the last go round for this. If it is run like the program in Quebec where daycare is basically always 7 dollars per day and no big government system has to be created to administer it. I really hate when 80% of the money for a program goes to big offices in Ottawa that administer it (eg, gun registry, all federal sport funding programs before the conservatives came to office).
 lets fish!
Msg: 52
welfare suggestions for single parents - your ideas.
Posted: 12/15/2009 11:50:51 AM
I have to say guys, I have come across teen mums AND dads that are far better parents than some of those is their 30's.
Age has little to do with it, an advantage with youth is there is more likely to be some optimism and hope for the future. Some parents whom have been beaten down by life and prejudice have a battle with depression.

If a teenager has a baby (and nope I'm NOT in favor of this at all), then I think the support of counseling and education should be a priority to ensure these young parents still have a future and will be equipped to make a decent contribution to society whilst also raising their child.

Removing a baby from a parent because they dont 'fit' a stereotype is archaic and you would be removing basic human rights of the parent AND the child.
 thegirl123
Msg: 53
Posted: 12/17/2009 9:49:24 PM
I may have to go on welfair because im moving provinces and have a lag of time before I find a job, I am a full time student and im sure whatever I pay in taxes when I am making loads of money will more then make up for the one or two months ive spent on welfair.
Welfair isnt comfertable here in Canada either, no one can actually "live" off welfair so no one is gonna wanna sit on it for very long either...unless they are just total losers, but most people on welfair arent...they are just in a difficult situation, and to be honest id rather they be getting welfair so the kids dont go hungry...

single childless men on welfair...shouldnt be allowed ..that is just ridiculous.
 rustic36
Msg: 54
Posted: 12/18/2009 1:33:11 AM

single childless men on welfair...shouldnt be allowed ..that is just ridiculous.

What a double standard that is..
Well, if you feel like that, you want equal rights, then, you shouldn't have access to welfare either.. By the way, if you want that "loads of money", you better start learning how to spell.

Why don't you line up a job before you move, that's what people do instead of going on welfare. Why should others pay for you to move without a job to step in to?

If men can't access it, neither should you.. By the way, many women say how men earn more so, that would also mean they pay more taxes so, with your theory, they should be more entitled to it than you..
 flammaster
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2009 4:25:55 PM
I have been waiting 13 months to get my child support and all I get are excuses from these worthless overpaid workers and have even had several of them tell me that I am welcome to collect the money myself!!!!!
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 56
Posted: 12/19/2009 9:44:00 PM
People that do nothing but welfare do it as a choice, not because they are poor little victims failed by society.
I worked long hours, doing the undesirable shifts, working till 4 or 5 am while most welfare mothers and students were comfy asleep in their beds, did the unglamorous work of standing on my feet running around for hours serving the drunks and Canadian tourists that descend upon my lovely island, and at time i hated it, at times it sucked ass, at times i thought i would rather collect welfare than wait on one more drunk or Canadian that couldnt pronounce conch fritters, but hard labor paid off.
Now i can be a SAHM, live comfortably and even luxiriously. Hard work pays off.
I regret not going for a BA, i might hgave been able to spell and type better if i had, but in reality, my college counterparts who did sitr in college for a long time arent doing so well, some cant find jobs in their fields, andf the ones who do are vastly underpaid, and their still broke and struggling.
I worked my behind off and made it, so can anybody else.

Jenn, just start paying all the welfare moms out of your own pocket.
Anf if a creep ever breaks into your house and attacks you and hurts your daughter, just pat them on the back and tell them it is ok because society failed them.
And i have to ask, whats with the obsession with smokers? Did your ex smoke? Did someone flick an ash on you as a child? Just curious. And while were conversating, please stop insulting my country. You dont live here, you dont pay taxes here, and your people didnt fight and die for the nation.
We dont let people die in the streets. We have county welfare hospitals, and any public emergency room can not turn away a person with a medical emergency or that is in labor, regardless of insurance or ability to pay. try making a visit here to see how things work before you make a hateful halfbaked pseudointellectual rant abaout MY country that My family fought for and men i went to school with have been dying for.

kthxbai.
 lets fish!
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/19/2009 11:31:20 PM

ok... so Im going to assume (god I hope you really DID mean it this way) that you mean childless people shouldnt be allowed to receive welfare...

I may have to go on welfair because im moving provinces and have a lag of time before I find a job

Ummm what more can be said here...

dolphinlvr36
Msg: 58
Posted: 12/20/2009 1:39:06 PM
***Lets not forget that most of our federally/provincially paid jobs ...teachers,waste collection, licencing agents , city workers , road crews , transit workers , etc..... practically everyone who receives an inflated paycheck and annual raises to match or exceed inflation , and then have the audacity to go on strike and hold the taxpayer at ransom .... ***

WHAT!!!!!!!!! Teachers DO NOT receive inflated paychecks! Go on strike? No, we have work ethic, and value our students over the fact that we can barely feed our own children with the small paychecks we receive educating EVERY other profession on the planet. And the last time I checked, we PAY TAXES too.
 My I
Msg: 59
Posted: 12/20/2009 2:26:49 PM

If you want to get really stupid about qualified/unqualified recipients, I say childless women who get pregnant should be disqualified too. It should be a woman's responsibility to make certain an able bodied and financially secure man knocks them up.... why should we pay childless women for getting pregnant by a loser ?

You know what is sad most of you c$unts will never pay the price we have to as good citizens

What is most sad is the fact that you consider yourself a good citizen. Addressing women in that way is very pathetic.

I may have to go on welfair because im moving provinces and have a lag of time before I find a job, I am a full time student and im sure whatever I pay in taxes when I am making loads of money will more then make up for the one or two months ive spent on welfair

If you were a man, should you be entitled to welfare just because you choose to move?
In my opinion, if you're in school already...stay put and don't milk the system. Welfare isn't an institution built on accomodating female students.
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 60
Posted: 12/24/2009 12:04:37 AM

If you want to get really stupid about qualified/unqualified recipients, I say childless women who get pregnant should be disqualified too. It should be a woman's responsibility to make certain an able bodied and financially secure man knocks them up.... why should we pay childless women for getting pregnant by a loser ?

You have a very good point there.
 orcasman
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2009 3:00:21 AM
I make min wage, I pay my bills I dont steal and I try to be as responsible as I can, I pay what CS I can for my daughter (her mom is on welfare and loses it dollar for dallar while upgradeing) I was in the military for Canada, licenced auto machinist that had to leave it due to medical reasons (fluids damage nerve ending) but I was also brought up to help my fellow man, not to think I am better than someone else just because I might be a bit better off because it only takes a misstep to find yourself on the bad side of the debate. I dont begrudge anyone a good lifestyle as long as they earned it and I dont look down on anyone that needs a hand. i find being happy with myself and my desisions, trying to give my daughter all I can to help her start life properly how ever she wants is whats important, What I dont like is single guys on welfare wearing Nikes (I wear walmart) using iphones (I use a nokia 3 yrs old) smoking dope and harrasing all the women who walk by and then laughing that they were called into welfare for a "work review" and how they beat it. That really does bother me. What DOESNT bother me is the guy or girl who`s company shut down after 80 yrs w/o notice (a friend of mine) who needs societies help to get through to his next job wether he finds work in 1 week or 1 year doesnt matter to me as long as he is out there every day the way he has been. To knock people down because they do not match your level of income or they need welfare for what it was meant for is just mean spirited and self centered. There is good and bad in every system and no system will ever be perfect. Dont put a blanket over all single parents and say they should of did this or that or not done this or that is unfair and demeaning to all involved. I also want to wish all a merry christmas and happy new year.
 kissmyasthma
Msg: 62
Posted: 12/24/2009 5:52:05 AM
Surviving on welfare in Canada is not as tough as you think. If you are informed there are many outlets in many cities that can provide many things.

It's a simpler life but even for major holidays recipients can get a food hamper complete with fresh veggies and a turkey delivered to their door.

At least one hot meal a day if not two can be had at various soup kitchens.

If their is more than one charity house in a town that could mean using more than one foodbank. Usually the limit for one is six trips a year per food bank.

Welfare recipients can also recieve certificates for clothing allowances, access to furntiure (used ), beds, and winter clothing items (coats, mitts, boots )

These are all enhanced for parents and can also qualify them for many free events or access to organized sports.

I have used a foodbank and was amazed at what they will give out. What really amazed me the most is seeing an immigrant family spend an entire afternoon just filling a mimvan to the brim with free stuff.

Bakeries drop fresh bread every day, local farmers drop off unsellable but still fresh veggies by the bushel. You would be hard pressed to starve to death in this country.

If you can top off this with some cash jobs or begging you can do fairly well without the need to put in a forty hour week.

Oh, and your drug prescriptions are covered and you have access to free emergency dental care ( which can be manipulated to cover things outside of the list )and are given a certain amount to spend on optical needs.
Access to a therapist if you're feeling depressed (free ), and I believe some message therapy.

Don't feel so bad for those who you think are that needy.

I guess the toughest part would be how to motivate one to want to earn a living when unless you have a degree most jobs will only pay around ten bucks an hour.
I have often wondered how an employer actually thinks they are helping when they create a job that pays so little yet many of those low paying jibs have higher expectations from many of us.

You wouldn't yell at your overpaid mechanic as easily as you would the poor sap behind the counter at McDonalds. Or would you cuss out your highly paid doctor as easily as the poor schmuck who valeted your car at a hotel.
Remember, the world will always need ditch diggers and people who take care of the things most won't do.
We just have to figure out how to make those jobs viable in our affluent society or keep the immigration doors open to fill those gaps.
 Strings6
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2009 5:28:13 PM
There is much talk in America these days about the "public option"...well we have made work and productivity an option instead of a responsability and it comes as no surprise that so manu choose to opt ouit
 mcalgary
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2009 11:29:43 PM

***Lets not forget that most of our federally/provincially paid jobs ...teachers,waste collection, licencing agents , city workers , road crews , transit workers , etc..... practically everyone who receives an inflated paycheck and annual raises to match or exceed inflation , and then have the audacity to go on strike and hold the taxpayer at ransom .... ***

Ok lets go through your so called inflated paycheck list.
1. teachers. How can you call them overpaid. Do you really think that someone goes to University for 5 years to make 30K per year. 50K is totally reasonable.
2. waste collection. Many cities contract this out and those people still make a good wage. They have to pick up your sticky sloppy garbage, have bags break all over them and go home smelling like what they pick up. They deserve their 45 to 50K per year.
3. I know nothing about licensing agents or inside city workers so I cannot comment.
4. Road Crews. Their wages are very fair for what they do but I do think they have too many employees with not enough to do.
5. I am a transit driver and do not make mountains of cash as you would like to believe. We get spit on,punched pulled out of our seats, have to deal with angry aggresive drivers get people safely to their destination. I guess you think that 10 dollars an hour would attract the type of workers that would be able to handle the above and stay at the job long enough to actually get good at it. I do love my job but come on be real. People deserve to make a decent living.
 Akizzej
Msg: 65
Posted: 12/25/2009 5:38:15 PM
Let'sFish... since you target single parents specifically, and I'm an Aussie mom... I've developed a few thoughts about this over the past five years.

a few things come to mind... firstly, if the payment was not considered a 'benefit'... but 'wage', I wonder how many people would come forward? I say wage, because I consider my 'job' at the moment to be raising a (future) PRODUCTIVE member of society.

Now supposing single parents, who did not raise a child that ended up contributing to society, had to pay back for failure to achieve target goal? If the child ended up at 16/18 {cut off age} in trouble with the school and law, or not obtaining paid employment {or actively initiating and embarking on work for the dole programs}, or just 'costing' more for society {just for a few 'fail' reasons} the parents then had to repay society for not agreeing to contract.

another that gets my goat, {so to speak} is the ease of listing father as 'unknown'. I was told by another mother, that the father of her daughter(a result of an affair) refused to acknowledge the child and so mother listed father as unknown... I fought long and hard to get my son's name on his birth certificate, and when the case finally went to court, it turns out that CS was awarded. there is another thread currently in discussion re mandatory DNA testing at birth, and for the reasons such as this, I support the concept... So then there would be less ability for young women to simply get pregnant for the benefit. {I've lived in the towns where they readily admit to doing it}

I hear your frustrations when you speak of generations of welfare recipients.. coming to see you... they are all out there, passing their secrets..

JimmyJoe... mentioned in previous pages, several points:
no more kids while on benefits... {always agreed with that... whether you're an 'unwed' single parent or a single parent of many as a result of divorce/widowhood, no more children},
substance screening... definitely, how can you do your job as 'parent' if you're under the influence?? {for the record, beer goes several months beyond"best before" in my house... }
Education... Yes, I fully agree... I did not wait for the 'free pass' to ride by {my son is not yet five} and have been undertaking study {full and part time} for the last three years. I am now taking a two year hiatus because of developmental problems with him, but fully intend to pick up taking current credits with me... but any education for single parents in order to receive benefits... even if it's the dreaded parenting programs... {I can never gain enough information with those}
AND a repay back to society as a thank you for the support over the years... a National Service sort of thing, if you get my drift...
I know of someone {and I have made my feelings quite clear} who has been sitting on her "roights" and "entoitlements" to benefits.. who has a 19 year old daughter dependent upon her... {has never allowed daughter to use a knife because she might cut herself} and demands public housing because it's her 'right' to achieve benefit...claims a disability pension for the daughter, and carers pension?? therefore spends money like there is no tomorrow, {the Rudd payouts last year did them a 'bonza' silly season... }
While I struggle on what CS does come through {damn I wish the US dollar would drop at the moment} and living in private rental at $300 a week with very little if any rental subsidy...

me got thoughts?? cynical?? naaaah, just doing it the way it's supposed to be done.
 My I
Msg: 66
Posted: 12/25/2009 8:02:01 PM

I say wage, because I consider my 'job' at the moment to be raising a (future) PRODUCTIVE member of society

I can't understand this entire "job" thing. When in a marriage you are "raising" child(ren)..... how did becoming a single mom morph into a secular position with wages?
Kids are commodities?

Now supposing single parents, who did not raise a child that ended up contributing to society, had to pay back for failure to achieve target goal?

Does the single mom stay on welfare once the child becomes a "productive" member of society? When does mom become a productive member of society? Never?
Ironic, isn't it?
How do unproductive moms pay back money - they haven't any?

I am now taking a two year hiatus because of developmental problems with him

Another issues is that you act as though everyone has the emotional and mental capacity to acquire an academic education.... that's not the case.
 Akizzej
Msg: 67
Posted: 12/25/2009 9:35:23 PM

in a marriage you are "raising" child(ren)..... how did becoming a single mom morph into a secular position with wages?

Yes, in GENERAL when two parents 'raise' child/ren, GENERALLY at least one of them is out in the workforce earning an income to provide for the family, in the case of the single parent, there is no other out there to earn the income and it is (generally) provided from others in the form of tax. Taking the 'analogy' on common sense... if there were no children in the partnership, I dare say that (generally) both parties would be in some form of employment. Therefore, one gives up paid employment in their pre-child/ren field, to take employment in another field {raising children}... paid for by their partner... {I'm talking general nuclear family with one stay at home parent}

Kids are commodities?

Well, at the rate some women over here pop them out at $5000 a time, you'd think they were...

the single mom stay on welfare once the child becomes a "productive" member of society? When does mom become a productive member of society? Never?
Ironic, isn't it?
How do unproductive moms pay back money - they haven't any?

In my own case, yes, my mother {who raised three productive members of society} did remain on benefits and did not return to the workforce... however, she ended up volunteering in the education field, teaching adult illiterates to read and comprehend money. Repayment to society does not need a monetary value. It has oft been said that "time is money"... so repaying back with some time, time that is no longer spent raising the child...

If the "unproductive" single parent has taken up some education time whilst being on benefit {great thing here called HECS loan, don't begin to pay back Uni degree until you're earning over $40k... as well as subsidised entry fees to Trade schools} then they have some qualifications to bring them back into the workforce to 'earn' some money to repay. Of course, again, it doesn't necessarily need to be fiscal, volunteering at soup kitchens, community centres or any variety of volunteering can contribute.

Another issues is that you act as though everyone has the emotional and mental capacity to acquire an academic education.... that's not the case.

NO, I do not ACT as if everyone does... that's the way you perceive it. I myself developed burnout, so even I'm fallible... Although I CHOSE tertiary study, I did not in any way indicate that a single parent had to gain an 'academic' education... hence my comment of PARENTING programs... those of which I've attended have been free... and given me a better insight into undertaking what is required to "raise a productive member of society". There are many other programs out there, all contributing to an 'education'. Gee whizz, even my own mother, teaching {volunteering} to others to gain an 'education'... see a connection?? No you probably don't.
 NappyKAT
Msg: 68
Posted: 12/28/2009 12:27:59 AM
Decisions about the poor, the homeless, the indigent, and the disenfranchised will always be made by people who have little understanding of those situations, where never in those situations, and resent most or all people in those situations and the people themselves.

I perused the thread and I think this comes close to answering to the question

First off...welfare should not be collectible for life. When someone goes onto the system, the system needs to "parent" them.

1. If they didn't graduate high school, attending (and passing) high school classes in an adult school setting should be mandatory...failure to attend or failure period results in being kicked off the system. Childcare provided by the system while they are in school.

2. If they graduated high school and have the intellectual ability to handle college/university and have a desire to go, they should be "lent" the funds to pay for the school while receiving benefits (including childcare)...failure to attend or failure period results in being kicked off the system- maximum of 3 year program.

3. If they have no desire to further their education, they should receive some assistance in preparing a resume and be forced to seek employment....that is their 9-5 job, seeking employment while we provide daycare support if necessary. They have no more than a year to locate employment then they are booted off the system if they haven't landed a job.

4. All women receiving benefits should sign an agreement not to become pregnant while collecting welfare and if they should, they will either abort or agree to have the child either placed for adoption or leave the system voluntarily.
Ofcourse I don't agree with all of it, or even most of it - but it's a start to answering the question and not either romantizing welfare ('oh they get so much they can lay around on their asses and be supported') or demonizing it ('oh they get so little they can barely survive and may be homeless soon.') The latter sentiment is closer to the truth of what welfare does but the 'truth' lies somewhere in the middle of these two sentiments.

I support a lifetime cash benefits. Currently that's the only one that limited in the US to 5 years. Foodstamps and other subsidies have no lifetime benefits. Someone is always going to be on the bottom rung of the ladder, and I maintain that it's necessary to support those people there as they contribute to the support of us (working and lower class) and those higher up the ladder to the rich and the wealthy. Socialist democratic countries like Australia and Canada are aware of this it seems - and so offer more support to the indigent and lower class. However, I was recently messaged that Canada is trying to become more like the US - which is tragic and a shame indeed. I don't think the US is to be emulated for how we treat certain segments of society, namely our poor and 'fringe' persons (those living on society's fringe - poor, minority, immigrants, incarcerated, etc). Hopefully those on the bottom rung will revolve upwards to be off the doll; opportunity to do so is there. But since poor and unemployment is crucial to this society (to offset inflation among others) there will be others there to take their place on the bottom rung. Didn't someone on here say they had a degree in economics? They may be able to input more on that about some level of poverty and umemployment helps the economy.

Anyway, there will be some who use the 'lifetime' and be on there that long or near - and if that is their 'choice' then I don't care. I would support it by default since I agree with lifetime benefit. I also have no arguments against abuse of the system since it's of little concern to me. They have changed some things to curve the abuse (like changing paper foodstamps into a benefit card) but that's hasn't completely stopped it. But again, this is of little concern to me overall.

I will always support and be an advocate of education - it does help get one out of poverty or reduces their overall length of stay on the doll or receipt of any welfare benefits. And I agree with some of the incentives that some so-called welfare programs have. One I mentioned a little earlier about Section 8. If you are on it and plan to buy a house, they have home buyers program and forgivable loans as well as a IDA account assistance to help with closing costs, or education, or even for your own small business (should you plan to start one). So the opportunity to assist you move upward is there I believe. I won't down those who, for whatever reason, will not or can not take advantage of it. I don't always understand why they won't take advantage of it - but I hope the kids grow to take a better advantage of those opportunities even if the parents didn't.

Some of these comments have me thinking about the world Octavia Butler made up in her books Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents. Companies will take over communities and institute a military-like rule - and people will give over that affluent community's freedom over to them for guaranteed support of job and healthcare as they become all but nonexistent in the outside world. The poor will be homeless and chaos and drugs will rule the day as they fight for money to pay for necessities like water, and scaps of food, and more drugs to take them out of their misery. There will be a new kinda slavery - debt slavery like sharecropping. You work for a company - and they pay you in company money that you can only use with the company - while they charge you for everything you use. Ofcourse they never pay you enough - so they work you harder and longer. The government makes rules that says you can't leave until the company is paid their money - and companies can then 'rent you out' or share with other companies to make their profit.

These books were authored in about 1994. They take place in the future of 2025. It's 2009, or rather - 2010. The future never seemed so close, so bleak, and so real. The people you despise and resent - you may very well become one of, no matter how affluent or whatever your financial status. And if you were in their place - I should think you'd want some kind of support just as well... if it's still available.
 NappyKAT
Msg: 69
Posted: 12/28/2009 12:46:16 AM

Do you understand what work to rule means? It means the teachers are no longer doing tasks that the board took for granted. In other words, teachers who are coaching teams, doing extracricular activities and supervising kids at lunch - all for free - have no contactual obligation to do so.
Interesting. I thought lunchroom and elementary recess duty was the general responsibilities of teachers, not something 'extra.'

new to me.
 lets fish!
Msg: 70
Posted: 12/28/2009 9:26:12 PM
Gday Nappy,

loved your post here, well informed and thought out although am certain that you will receive a flame

The people you despise and resent - you may very well become one of, no matter how affluent or whatever your financial status. And if you were in their place - I should think you'd want some kind of support just as well... if it's still available.

I AM a single parent and in no better position than the majority of clients I work with.

The difference more often that not is attitude.

Id LOVE to see how we as a society and a NONJUDGMENTAL government (and yep, if you vote your part of it folks! if u wanna whinge, take a stand in real life) could help to motivate single parents to move their lives forward.

One poster commented that I was targeting single parents.

Of course I am!!! Look at where Im posting this thread!! Also its not a bash post/thread, Im asking for some IDEAS not ridiculous flame posts. Bloody hell! If single parents get flamed then thats me too haha!

I dont agree however that because you have kids, you have an automatic entitlement to an income as though you have a job as a parent. Yep parenting is a full time job and working with kids IS a tough juggle but tough poo.
If you have kids, you should be ready for the possibility that you may be alone one day so if you feel that way, set yourself up first.
 My I
Msg: 71
Posted: 12/28/2009 11:18:01 PM

Interesting. I thought lunchroom and elementary recess duty was the general responsibilities of teachers, not something 'extra.

It's voluntary in most cases.

From one of your states collective agreements (Lakehead District):

ARTICLE 33 - WORKING CONDITIONS
Supervision
33:01 Noon hour supervision shall be provided by adults other than Teachers.

Furthermore:

33:03 Supervision time shall be defined as the time teachers are assigned to supervise students outside of the
300 minutes instructional day. Unless specifically assigned, teachers shall not be required to perform
supervisory duties outside the 300 minute instructional day. For clarification, supervisory duties
(examples: yard duty, hall duty, bus duty, nutritional breaks and other assigned duties) before the
scheduled start time for instruction shall be counted as part of the supervision duties assigned.

^^^ Usually appointed to an assistant or associate, generally speaking.
Also:

Extra Curricular
33:12 Both the Board and the Union recognize the value of extra curricular activities. Both parties recognize that
the involvement of Union members in extra curricular activities is voluntary.

Many people seem to take some roles of a teacher for granted and fail to appreciate it is mostly a voluntary gesture.
 Akizzej
Msg: 72
Posted: 12/29/2009 5:55:03 AM

One poster commented that I was targeting single parents.

Of course I am!!! Look at where Im posting this thread!! Also its not a bash post/thread, Im asking for some IDEAS not ridiculous flame posts.

Hi Let's Fish, I believe that would have been me, and it was in no way meant to be a bash or flame, I was merely trying to keep to topic at hand.. I didn't want to wander into non topic territories...

yes, Idea's is the theme I picked up on also.. I know that my suggestions {I'll only comment on my own} are not perfect, not by a long shot, but I do believe some points are conceivable.. as are those of other posters... if someone (in power/position) had balls enough to undertake them.

Personally, I don't believe in a lifetime of benefit, but a 'set' limit.. as NotaTownie says she would rather see 10k spent on someone getting a trade to get them working, than not at all. Sometimes ya have to spend money to make money.... and a person given a set time to better themselves. I know that {me myself} with the right support; fiscal, housing and childcare, I could be done in five years and be earning $75k per annum for the next 25 years, paying back my debts... and also managing in private rental housing, or even buying my own place. I reckon that would be a darned good return..

Of course, I heard the ultimate today... while I was cancelling nearly $2000 worth of payment coming to me in two weeks, {because I won't be entitled to it for not studying and so preventing a payback debt... } another ummm "professional" single mother was going out to spend the 'balance' of advance loans for both she and her intellectually disabled daughter on more toys because 'it was there'. Say 'what???????"
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 73
Posted: 4/21/2010 9:40:21 AM
Too many damn people these days figure they are too good to work in what they deem to be a "menial" job. Everywhere I have lived there have always been jobs available, even in the "bad times". Some people are too busy playing the "whoa is me" card to get off their ass and get out there and get a job of ANY TYPE. So what if you have a certificate in admin, if you can't get a job in admin, go work somewhere else for now.

I can't think of anyone who started their career at the top. I spent many a day on the business end of a shovel digging trenches, pounding rods, laying conduits for 10, 12, 16+ hours a day sometimes for what was shit pay at the time. You go out there and do it, don't **** about it, do your best and your efforts will be recognized. The people that spend their time trying to blame their troubles on others and work on ways to avoid these tasks they deem below them are a good portion of those who make up the welfare dole these days I would propose.

I'm all for short term interim assistance in emergency situations where absolutely required, other than that, get off your ass and shovel shit for minimum wage and be thankful you can.

This country has gotten so godamn soft that people have come to expect the government to look after them. They no longer put anywhere near the effort into taking care of themselves and their families as they once did. Why should they when they know the government will, right? Then whenever discussion comes up to possibly restrict spending on programs like welfare you end up with all the bleeding hearts and societal leeches screaming from the rooftops that we are "putting kids on the street" and "letting people starve" or some shit.

Enough is enough people. Stop with the excuses already. Stand on your own two ****ing feet already and support yourself and your family.
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 74
Posted: 4/21/2010 12:06:46 PM
Now tell me something, of all the people currently on the welfare dole, how many of them would be single parents with children so sick that they require a parent to be around to care for them all the time? I would suggest the answer is very few.

As for not being able to work at all without having benefits cut off, that doesn't fit with the programs here in Saskatchewan. The "Family Health Benefits" plan provides for the prescriptions you talk about along with numerous other things to low income families free of charge. I know for a fact that the threshold for qualification is above $15,000 per year and from a co-worker who used to be on it I would say that the threshold is near $30,000 per year as it wasn't until after that did she stop receiving those benefits.

You say people are hesitant to work more as they are "punished" by doing so via the loss of access to social programs. I would suggest that you can do a lot for supporting a family with $30k a year even without having to suck at the taxpayer teat. I was making less than that when my daughter was born and never got a nickle from social assistance. We even paid for our own pre-natal courses.... aghast!!

So right there is one example of a program in place currently where you can make up to $30k a year and still be eligible for the free prescriptions you speak of. Now tell me why that single parent is avoiding working anymore hours or earning more?
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 75
Posted: 4/21/2010 12:17:58 PM
There should be aide for people when they need it in hard times its what Tommy Douglas fought for. He wanted all Canadians to have a quality of life and access to health care.

We're not in the 50's or early 60's anymore. In those days the make up of our society was a lot different. Single family households were few and far between and people who were fit to work did just that, they worked.

And social assistance (welfare) in all Canadian Provinces is well below the poverty line. So nobody is getting rich staying at home.

Yet they are getting enough to still stay at home in lieu of actually having to put the effort in to go out and get a (better) job. There are employers out there that are practically begging for new hires but can't fill the positions. So you start at minimum wage, we all start somewhere. Go the extra mile, work hard, don't complain about menial things, show initiative and just watch as you start progressing in your career and increase your earnings. Remember, even fast food joints have managers and above, and most of them started by slinging fries.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > welfare suggestions for single parents - your ideas.