Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > welfare suggestions for single parents - your ideas.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 freetime2bme
Msg: 76
view profile
History
welfare suggestions for single parents - your ideas.Page 4 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
"since there are dozens of greasy burger joints there begging for us to come and fling their fries for peanut wages "

Here is an idea, wait to have kids until you have gotten the skills that allow you to work in jobs other then greasy burger joints before having kids in the first place.
"i cant stand is a narrow minded, judgemental, babbling fool who's never known for a day in their life what its like to be on the inside of the fence looking out" Getting the skills first is what I did. Did lots of hard work for years before I even thought about having kids.
You made the bed that you are sleeping in, if you did not make it well it's on you, it is not on any other babbling fool; it should not be on me or any of the other people that did it the right way and had a job that paid a living wage and who also had a safty net in place before having kids.
That said it is never to late to start to get the skills requiered to make a living, but the Peter Principle is alive and well as seen here in the forums. If I owned a greasy burger joint, I would want workers that would make me money and I would aviod workers that had lots of outside problems that are not my fault.
People need to look to themselfs first as to why they are in the places they are in life, because nine times out of ten they are in fact the reason they got to the point they did. It is not the system or the man or some narrow minded babbling fool who is to blame. I would like to see people own up to their parts in their problems and not blame the world.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 77
view profile
History
welfare suggestions for single parents - your ideas.
Posted: 4/22/2010 9:58:40 AM
"nobody is blaming anybody for anything" I think may be you are! "i still cannot stand when those who have never been in a positon to require assitance feel they have a lisence or any kind of right to judge those who do require it." you might want to try knowing a few things about a person before trying to bash them lol.

"you, and username, are the exact type of people i'd love to see down on their luck some day and have something wrong that causes them to require the assistance of the system and to then be treated the exact ignorant, inconsiderate, disrespectful way you condone others for needing the exact same thing!" No you would never judge anyone or wish bad things on them would you (lol again)

"you wanna talk about skills? I probably have more, job, life, and transferable skills than your pompous @$$ could ever dream of..... G.D. judgemental jack@$$ " Then use them.

"it was not until i found myself single that i ended up on assistance " Before I had kids, I had a nest egg, over six months cash on hand, insurance, no debt and yes real transferable job skills. As a single parent of two I have never need help and I have known seveal people with children that had real medical issues that never need any help. The reason why is not never being down on their luck. Like me they biult a nest egg and planned before having kids. One good friend I had when I was in the army had three kids (one with real special needs) had his wife die and he had a few years until retierment. Kind of a down on your luck story, but because he like me had planned, he was able to work around his problems and did his last years and retiered from the military; all without help! In fact he deployed only six months after his wifes death, but he put together a plan that provided for his children and he never missed a beat. It can be done. We all know marrages fail (plan for this), we all know jobs can end (plan for this), we all know medical needs can change (plan for this). Welfare not a good plan, but if your taking it expect to be judged (you do not have to like it, but from your post you judge people too; can you say two faced, lol one more time).
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 78
Posted: 4/22/2010 11:47:37 AM
lizbeth

Love it username.....and so says you the man who let the government pay for a $300 dental bill for your son you could afford?..Do you really feel the need to punish the majority of people just because your Ex wife is screwing over the system?

Go back and read my thread about the dental bill. You will see that I paid all of the dental fees myself. My issue was with her wanting to use the free program from the gov't even though she didn't need to. It isn't punishment, its supporting yourself and your family without relying on someone else to do it for you.

So much hypocracy...so little time..

Good line, I could swear I've seen it before. The only thing is that you have misspelled it here.

As for my suggesstions on getting single parents back into the work place would be to put more money into subsidized childcare...and develop programs much like co-op is in grade 12...It would allow on the job training for single parents to get an education while they are getting work experience. A single parent cannot afford to work at a fast food place being hired as a "fry cook"...it simply dosen't cover the basic needs of a child..

So your solution is to throw more money at the problem? Money just fixes everything eh? How about we try out some personal accountability first?

No no, we can't do that, we might violate their human rights......... gimme a break.

It is arrogant and extremely presumptious of "some" people to suggest that slinging fries is the only option for single parents without a collage education.

Did I say it was the only option? No, I did not. It is an option, that like many other careers, also has room for advancement. Some people look at a place like McDonalds and just write it off saying "I'd never work there".... yet they fail to realize that even in places like McD's there is room for advancement that involves great wages and benefits. Just don't expect it to be given to you. You have to work hard to get ahead, not just sit back and complain when it isn't served up to you on a platter.

I love the "suck it up buttercup" mentality that men are so great in expressing..but it would seem that that mentality and comment is reserved only for the women in these forums?

Did I single out women anywhere in this thread? Everything that I am saying applies to men as well. Stop trying to hang the sexist hat on these comments in a way to try and refute an argument. It just shows you lack substance in your counterpoints.

simply~red

looks like all us single mothers of the world have found us somebody who can pay for us to move to sask.... since there are dozens of greasy burger joints there begging for us to come and fling their fries for peanut wages while our sick kids ( my own epileptic daughter a prime example), has multiple seizures or other affects from their illnesses in the care of a stranger who will not provide them the same quality love and care that their own parent will.....

First off, I already said in this thread that I do agree with providing some social assistance in situations where it is 100% justified (ie. serious illness or disease). You are just ranting from anger and not even reading all of the comments.

Second, please don't move to Sask, you'd be taking even more money from the hard working people of this province. We have enough people on the dole already.

i have yet to meet a single person on "the system" who wouldn't love to be working if circumstances were different, but one thing i cant stand is a narrow minded, judgemental, babbling fool who's never known for a day in their life what its like to be on the inside of the fence looking out, instead of frowning down from their imaginary pedistal.

Do you really think that anyone on the dole is going to admit that they love the fact they don't have to work to get paid? I highly doubt it, they don't want to get reported and lose their gravy train.

So now that you've resorted to name calling, I know that you really have little more of anything intelligent to say. So tell me, what do you define as knowing " what its like to be on the inside of the fence looking out"? I supported a family of 3 off of a job that I was paid less than 10 bucks an hour, does that count? What are your rules for being inside said fence??

just out of curiosity... how many of those greasy burger joints is going to hold our position for us when our kids are in hospital more often than not and we need the time off, or when they cannot attend the daycare because they are sick?

How good of an employee do they see you as? I tell you what, I will provide an infinite amount more flexibility to a quality employee who I know is giving their all than I would to someone who is just "punching the clock".

you might want to try knowing a few things about a person before trying to bash them......

Ummm, you do realize that you're the one throwing out the name calling and insults right?

I happen to be a trained paralegal

Good, so get a job. Hell, I bet that kind of job is one where you can even do a lot of work from home. If you can't find a job in that field, get a job in a different field.

but i still cannot stand when those who have never been in a positon to require assitance feel they have a lisence or any kind of right to judge those who do require it. you, and username, are the exact type of people i'd love to see down on their luck some day and have something wrong that causes them to require the assistance of the system and to then be treated the exact ignorant, inconsiderate, disrespectful way you condone others for needing the exact same thing!

How do you know we haven't been "down and out"? Or maybe our decisions in life have prevented us from being "down and out" whereas yours led you to your place there.

you wanna talk about skills? I probably have more, job, life, and transferable skills than your pompous @$$ could ever dream of..... G.D. judgemental jack@$$

Here we go with the name calling again. I wouldn't hire you either, you seem to have some uncontrollable anger issues.

Summary

Too many people that are on the dole, and in this thread, are just the welfare versions of David Dingwall.
They all figure that they are entitled to their entitlements.
 bliss.stars
Msg: 79
Posted: 4/22/2010 2:40:04 PM

We also get a Child Tax Benefit to support our child and until 6 years old a Universal Childcare benefit (Ontario)

after i had my daughter in january, i had a lady call me on behalf of the gav to inform me about all the benefits we get for our kids...

we are supposed to be saving the universal childcare benefit in a trust fund because by the time our kids reach teenage years (my son is 4 and my daughter is 3 months), they won't have OSAP (education loans). however, the gov will meet half of what we save. considering 6 years of the benefit only = about 7,000...our children will only be granted the same. $14,000 is beans for education after high school.
that was my entry tuition for college 2 years ago! imagine what courses will be costing us 15 years from now!

as for welfare - i think the loop holes need to be sewn up. people should be screened more thoroughly, as well as being tested each month for drug use. it really should be for emergencies only. and yes, a time limit.

i've gone on it twice now, both for emergency reasons, and both times i've been off it within 18 months. for those who can live off it, they don't expect much out of life i guess. i went crazy not having control over my financial means.
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 80
Posted: 4/22/2010 3:17:47 PM

people should be screened more thoroughly, as well as being tested each month for drug use

Yes times a million.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2010 5:42:48 AM
"I was a single parent myself and never received welfare,I chose to work instead and worked every extra hour I could."

The people that call welfare a safety net or a way to better the children rarely if ever talk about the statistical realities of the children of parents that elect to go on the dole. The parents that did what you did have children who are much less likely to ever go on public assistance, go to jail and their kids are much more likely to finish high school. The so called safety net, seems to do just the reverse at least statistically, because if the parent is on public assistance the kids are much more likely to need assistance later in life, much more likely to end up in jail or as a teen aged parent and much less likely to finish high school. The longer a parent is on assistance the more likely it is that the children will have one of these negative effects. Does not happen every time, but there is a real statistical correlation and it is not a good one. Knowing this, is it really wrong to say parents that are on welfare just might not be doing what is best for their children and they might just be make the next generation of, well of welfare people. No one is going to come on the forums and go "I just wanted the easy way out" or "hell it's better then working" or "so what if my kid ends up on the dole or in jail", but these are real things that happen, just no one will own up to it here. Kids will lookup to a parent that works hard and does not want a hand out and they will try and be like that parent, so you did the right thing!
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 82
Posted: 4/24/2010 11:47:16 AM

In fact I have even been known to pay cash for my kids dental bills the same day I TOOK them to the appointment....just sayin...there was never a reason for anyone to "report" me for services or money from the government my tax return didn't allow....

WTF are you on about? You seem to still be relating to my thread about dental fees, but you don't seem to remember what it said. I had said that I paid the fees, while at the appointment, but took issue with the ex suggesting I put it through her name in order to get it for "free". Really, go back and fact check before you continue spewing garbage.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2010 1:56:29 PM
"The problem is really rooted in the economy and business greed"
"And remember, big business has a vested interest in keeping the unemployment rate high. It creates a cheap labour pool. "
" Most of this, is because of corporate greed"

So the unions don't have a part in running lots of the manufacturing jobs over seas? It is not all corporate greed. I am a stockholder and I want to make money on my investments not lose money on them. That is not greed. As job competition went more global, unions should have been more willing to negotiate wages down ward, but most did not do what was needed and they chased the jobs out of the country. The workers that lost their jobs would love for them back now at a 20% reduction 9 out of 10 times, but they are gone now. Union greed! Most people work for small businesses in the USA, not big corporations and small businesses tend to be less not more giving to their employees. I was watching CNN today and it was saying 75% of the people age 18-24 can not even qualify to join the army. How the F$%k do you compete globally like that and why do you think you should get the job over a smarter fitter working in a different country any ways; given that that worker will do the job for less and is happy to have it. Corporations need people that can buy their products, so they do not want all workers to be poor, but they do not wish to pay union demands that makes them undesirable to shareholders also. I am not a fan of corporate abuses, but it is way to simplistic to blame corporations for this. The policies on trade have had a bigger impact then corporations, so the voters are to blame, the government is to blame, the unions are to blame and the under educated, fat worker that can not even join the army has to share this blame too. Not to let big business off the hook, but look at investor returns over the last ten years, not to good and investors are the corporation owners.
 My I
Msg: 84
Posted: 4/24/2010 4:30:10 PM

So the unions don't have a part in running lots of the manufacturing jobs over seas?

Ummm.... it's true!
Unions have a lot to answer for because they will not compare to other countries like this:
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-6733564947664645042#

I'm sending my daughers there next month (sarcasm)
 freetime2bme
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2010 5:30:23 PM
Bottom line, the investers money will go to were they will make more money back. If unions drive the price above shipping and distro savings, corps will move operations. The unions could have taken lower wages, they were getting more then then were worth in a globel market and this is a fact. Now the jobs are gone and the old corp offers look like dream jobs. Missed the boat if you ask me! If you own stock you are part owner of a corp, if you don't own stock, well you might not like the people that do. To bad! I have done work in the 3rd world and I know what people will do for just $1. People get killed over less. Rember that, you, me and every one has to compete with that and if they are better because they wanted it more, given time they will get the jobs! You have to want it more and the people I see here are fat and lazy. Yes, we have good people too, but the fat lazy workers out there are taking over and that is what is going to kill this country.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2010 5:47:06 AM
"Sorry, greed is the problem...
There is a big problem when some corporate exec taking home millions a year in wages and bonuses, blames the little guy for his not being able to buy a new Ferrari."

No the problem is when John who has worked hard and made a okay life for him and his family and has money in a 401K. There are lots of Johns out there too and they all want a good return on that 401K (why they put money into it). If the returns suck, fund managers get their walking papers. Investments go after proffits and if some one will do the job better for less given time the job will move. John does not want a new Ferrari, but he wants to make money on his 401K. I want to make money on my investments also and if a corp can not find a way to do that for me I will move my money to a corp that can. I have no problem at all making money off the work done with the help of my investment capital. You see without that investment capital there would be no place to work in the first place. That is not fat or lazy, it is wanting a return. Fat and lazy is about jobs moving a way to a place were they get done better for less. Like the people that got job that moved there are not workers too lol. Moving jobs around is the new world. No more my dad worked at GM so I will get to do that also. Need to compete and to do that you need to be smarter and better and with 75% of the 18-24 year olds not even being able to qualify for a job in the army today, it is not looking good. Looking at this number 75%, not hard to see why jobs are being lost. But can't blame the workers. Well I can and I will. Want a job, be the best and do it for less.

"I'd happily work for a dollar a day if my rent was $15 a month... and all other costs were related to my wages"

As the jobs go a way housing prices will continue to drop, so in the end you may just get your wish. Not the USA I hope for. The one I hope for has the smartest most fit work force in the world, but the odds are not looking good for that. The good news is the 25% at the top will be able to rule over the 75% at the bottom. You pick the group you want your children in. I am going for the 25% group. How about you?
 EVROCKS
Msg: 87
Posted: 4/25/2010 1:27:31 PM
I only had time to read a few responses, but I've been thinking about this a lot lately and wanted to say this. There will always be people who will never be able to learn what they need to in order to make a decent living in this world. I taught some of these children and their IQ's are just so low that you hope they can read and do basic math well enough to get them through life. These are 'grey area' children that get no real help in school. They are not learning disabled, and don't have a low enough IQ to be considered for placement. Then there are all the kids diagnosed autistic. The reality is, we have people who CAN'T...people who WON'T...and people who work 60 hours a week and still can't make enough to support a family. The trick is knowing who you are dealing with before deciding what their fate should be, and unfortunately often the WON'Ts get thrown in with the CAN'Ts and we see very lazy people sponging off of others. The question is... how do we weed them out?
 EVROCKS
Msg: 88
Posted: 4/25/2010 8:40:53 PM
Lady, people can bash me first. I'm in the US and make a decent living in a small town where my house payment is $372. And it's NOT a shack LOL. I have two kids, and while I make too much money to quality for anything (except for reduced lunch and reduced membership at the Y!), according to the government, I don't make enough, so I end up paying $0 in taxes and actually getting a tax payment. And since I bought my house last year, I get the home credit which is just insane. The government just keeps handing me money LOL. I live within my means and treasure the extras because they always come in handy. I couldn't imagine not having a regular income and being able to support myself, and if I couldn't I would work towards that end. There is nothing wrong with leaning on what's out there to get you past your bump in the road. That is why the programs are there. But people who live their lives with their hands out...not only will they always be poor financially but they will never experience the pride of overcoming, of becoming something, of feeling good about their accomplishments...and THAT is worth much more than money!
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 89
Posted: 4/26/2010 5:53:28 AM
Where i live one could never live independantly on welfare, an average rental aprtment or house runs about 3-4 grand, even a scrummy studio or 1 bed would go for about 2k, with the town being a popular tourist and fishing/shrimping/lobster-catching destination and a favorable spot for old-moneyed families to come in and develop, an island girl with no income, husband, or families to help will live in the Samuels House, which is a social program that houses poor women and children, they get clumped in like sardines, about 4 women plus their children to each bedroom and share the bathroom and kitchen with about 50-100 other women, better than being homeless but not by much. It would be so much nicer for the women iof they perhaps only had to share abedroom with one other woman as opposed to a handful of women, but funding is what it is.

The good side of the equation though is that the hospitality and fishing industry provides large numbers of well-paid jobs that only require you to show up sober, on time, and willing to work your ass off.Choosing a decent partner is imperative down here, you just wouldnt survive doing the "chasing after babydaddy for a few bucks and going back to school while getting welfare", unless you got a relative that can put you up while you do so. It would be nice to see the county provide more "safety net" and more temp. housing for women in crap situations, but they dont.

If they have decent looks one could strip though, no shame in that IMO, i dj for a club sometimes and some of the women have kids and are much happier to jiggle their goodies for a living and collect some cash from the rich balla's than live in the samuels house. I would have done it in my younger days if i was 50 lbs thinner, but alas im a phat ass so i just spin the tunes...

thatusernameistaken
Msg: 90
Posted: 4/26/2010 1:36:36 PM
Sweetness -

If someone is living in an exclusive area with costs you can't afford, they should move. What are they gaining by staying?

Also, you're exaggerating on rental prices according to a Google search.
 forumrum
Msg: 91
Posted: 4/26/2010 2:16:40 PM
Welfare suggestions for single parents - your ideas

Don't have any more kids until you are self-supporting. Enough said.
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 92
Posted: 5/3/2010 5:59:53 AM

Sweetness -

If someone is living in an exclusive area with costs you can't afford, they should move. What are they gaining by staying?

Also, you're exaggerating on rental prices according to a Google search.

Some are from here and have never lived outside the islands, some come down here to escape the snow and ice of the north without having a job/housing set up before they come, and are then shocked at the cost of living.
Im a landlord not exaggerating a bit, I charge cheaper than that but only because i cant get flood and wind insurance, only way to go cheaper is to live in Bahama Village
 The Man Called M
Msg: 93
Posted: 5/3/2010 12:00:28 PM

Report this troll profile - via the report user link on their profile

ohwhynot46
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2010 9:29:13 PM
I have to say, I like you, jenn! The problem with welfare, however, isn't the stigma attached, it's about the fact that it is a vicious cycle, and it involves living in near poverty in order to qualify. Those who say that anyone who lives on welfare lives an easy life are wrong. Have you seen the places where welfare recipients live?! On the other hand, I do honestly believe that many welfare recipients use the system as a means to be lazy. The system fosters that. It doesn't provide temporary assistance for those who need help, it promotes its' own misuse, at least here in the US. Has anyone taken a look at the guidelines for receiving even the smallest amount of assistance? you cant work, even earning minimum wage, and qualify! As far as I am concerned, the welfare system is merely an example of the ineffectiveness of government intervention. Those who truly need help don't qualify, and those who qualify live in dangerous neighborhoods, subjecting their children to circumstances no one would want to see a child in. Those same children learn that there is "no way out", and they learn to live within this system, have kids while still kids themselves, and reap the "benefits" for generation upon generation.

I don't have all the answers, although I do agree with those who feel that, so long as you cared for by the government, you should be "parented" by the government. I would rather pay for "forced" education that leads to moving away from the system than to pay to force someone to remain helpless in order to qualify for assistance of any sort.

As an aside, although I don't necessarily see a direct connection between union labor & the welfare system, my ex husband & I were the principles of a union corporation for nearly 15 years. The unions have strayed quite far from their intended purpose. One doesn't need an education to be highly paid. My 4 yr degree nets me slightly more than half of what a member of this particular union pays its' journeymen, many of whom didn't even graduate hs, and a significant portion of whom have criminal records. The unions don't even take care of their own. Contractors who sign up are forced to hire unnecessary workers, and the costs to the employers are doubled, when you add the union benefits. Jobs are slowed down in order to reduce less than full employment, where they can get away with it. Those who work for the union, in the offices, and as officers, are overpaid, if you ask me. They work half days on Fridays, exhibit a lack of general knowledge, and nepotism is rampant, much preferred to actual knowledge & experience. In general, benefits are reaped by the undeserved.

A comparison can be made in that both the welfare system & the union structure is such that each fosters taking advantage as the best way to make them work for their respective participants. Just sayin'.
 myblueshadow
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2010 6:43:31 AM
Ohwhynot, I have to agree with you that the system is completely self-perpetuating. There is little incentive to “get out.” It’s entirely too easy to scam the system and become comfortable in a lifestyle. There is such a culture of blame and entitlement in poverty that it’s near impossible to encourage people to put in the work it would require to break the cycle. Having a work ethic comes from valuing an intrinsic sense of accomplishment, which is not cultivated in the welfare system. I believe that people will rise to the level that is expected of them, and this system puts little expectation on self-motivation.
 cardesi
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2011 7:07:21 PM
Here in Canada I think all the Bankers who are in for the 80 something billion in "perks" should each support a single parent for a year or so... here in canada they give you $560 a month to live on and they give a refugee $2400 a month to live on you dont even get that much after working your whole life paying into a pension why is it they treat their own like crap and freely give it away to others...WHY?
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 97
Posted: 7/8/2011 7:29:42 PM

and they give a refugee $2400 a month to live on

Cite your source. ^^
 barefootkitten
Msg: 98
Posted: 7/8/2011 7:47:46 PM

a government-assisted refugee receives a one-time amount of up to $1,830 from the federal government to cover essentials — basic, start-up needs like staples, furniture and clothing. They also receive a temporary monthly allowance for food and shelter that is based on provincial social assistance rates. In Ontario, for example, a single refugee would receive $768 per month. This assistance is temporary — lasting only for one year or until they can find a job, whichever comes first.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/facts/aid.asp

Refugees don't get more than pensioners, but they most certainly DO get more than Canadians who are on welfare.
 Philhelm
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2011 12:03:16 PM
Why should people be coerced, through the power of the state, to help others? If someone wants to volunteer to help, that's one thing, but it's immoral to force others to do so. This is especially grievous when there are so many men who are unemployed, underemployed, unable to find a job they trained for, or are paying child support and welfare. Yet women look down upon such men while claiming to be "independent" despite living off of child support, government assistance, etc. I say F 'em!
 Song_bird86
Msg: 100
Posted: 7/10/2011 6:35:17 PM
I live in Mo but I don't know the exact laws. I got on medicaid when I was pregnant and was allowed to stay on it for a year after the birth. After that point it was switched to where my son was on one and I was on another based on my income. I was unemployed until my son was 2 and because I was hired during Christmas time and was making more then allowed it was cut off but then once my hours dropped I was given it back. I got a .50 raise last summer which has been my only raise and I've been working there almost 3yrs now but it bumped me up just enough that I don't qualify anymore but my son gets to stay on because my work doesn't offer me insurance and he doesn't get it through his father either. The limit for a family of 2 is $250, I make $8/hr and my hours fluctuate between 12-20hrs a week right now, or sometimes less. Before my raise I applied for daycare assistance and was denied, I also didn't qualify for food stamps. If I didn't live with my parents I would be SOL for everything. Luckily with the new law passed I am able to be on my dads insurance because I'm still a student. My school is covered by Pell Grant which should be available to everyone in the country. Also, the CS I do get goes strictly to my son for his preschool, birthday, Christmas, clothes, food. The only time I use the CS for other things is if I'm down to bare minimum in my checking. I live off of work and my tax return for the year. People just need to learn to budget. I never buy anything unless it's on sale and I'm talking 40-50% off and under $20 for clothes/shoes.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > welfare suggestions for single parents - your ideas.