Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > welfare suggestions for single parents - your ideas.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 90
welfare suggestions for single parents - your ideas.Page 7 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Sweetness -

If someone is living in an exclusive area with costs you can't afford, they should move. What are they gaining by staying?

Also, you're exaggerating on rental prices according to a Google search.
 forumrum
Msg: 91
welfare suggestions for single parents - your ideas.
Posted: 4/26/2010 2:16:40 PM
Welfare suggestions for single parents - your ideas

Don't have any more kids until you are self-supporting. Enough said.
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 92
Posted: 5/3/2010 5:59:53 AM

Sweetness -

If someone is living in an exclusive area with costs you can't afford, they should move. What are they gaining by staying?

Also, you're exaggerating on rental prices according to a Google search.

Some are from here and have never lived outside the islands, some come down here to escape the snow and ice of the north without having a job/housing set up before they come, and are then shocked at the cost of living.
Im a landlord not exaggerating a bit, I charge cheaper than that but only because i cant get flood and wind insurance, only way to go cheaper is to live in Bahama Village
 The Man Called M
Msg: 93
Posted: 5/3/2010 12:00:28 PM

Report this troll profile - via the report user link on their profile

ohwhynot46
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2010 9:29:13 PM
I have to say, I like you, jenn! The problem with welfare, however, isn't the stigma attached, it's about the fact that it is a vicious cycle, and it involves living in near poverty in order to qualify. Those who say that anyone who lives on welfare lives an easy life are wrong. Have you seen the places where welfare recipients live?! On the other hand, I do honestly believe that many welfare recipients use the system as a means to be lazy. The system fosters that. It doesn't provide temporary assistance for those who need help, it promotes its' own misuse, at least here in the US. Has anyone taken a look at the guidelines for receiving even the smallest amount of assistance? you cant work, even earning minimum wage, and qualify! As far as I am concerned, the welfare system is merely an example of the ineffectiveness of government intervention. Those who truly need help don't qualify, and those who qualify live in dangerous neighborhoods, subjecting their children to circumstances no one would want to see a child in. Those same children learn that there is "no way out", and they learn to live within this system, have kids while still kids themselves, and reap the "benefits" for generation upon generation.

I don't have all the answers, although I do agree with those who feel that, so long as you cared for by the government, you should be "parented" by the government. I would rather pay for "forced" education that leads to moving away from the system than to pay to force someone to remain helpless in order to qualify for assistance of any sort.

As an aside, although I don't necessarily see a direct connection between union labor & the welfare system, my ex husband & I were the principles of a union corporation for nearly 15 years. The unions have strayed quite far from their intended purpose. One doesn't need an education to be highly paid. My 4 yr degree nets me slightly more than half of what a member of this particular union pays its' journeymen, many of whom didn't even graduate hs, and a significant portion of whom have criminal records. The unions don't even take care of their own. Contractors who sign up are forced to hire unnecessary workers, and the costs to the employers are doubled, when you add the union benefits. Jobs are slowed down in order to reduce less than full employment, where they can get away with it. Those who work for the union, in the offices, and as officers, are overpaid, if you ask me. They work half days on Fridays, exhibit a lack of general knowledge, and nepotism is rampant, much preferred to actual knowledge & experience. In general, benefits are reaped by the undeserved.

A comparison can be made in that both the welfare system & the union structure is such that each fosters taking advantage as the best way to make them work for their respective participants. Just sayin'.
 myblueshadow
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2010 6:43:31 AM
Ohwhynot, I have to agree with you that the system is completely self-perpetuating. There is little incentive to “get out.” It’s entirely too easy to scam the system and become comfortable in a lifestyle. There is such a culture of blame and entitlement in poverty that it’s near impossible to encourage people to put in the work it would require to break the cycle. Having a work ethic comes from valuing an intrinsic sense of accomplishment, which is not cultivated in the welfare system. I believe that people will rise to the level that is expected of them, and this system puts little expectation on self-motivation.
 cardesi
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2011 7:07:21 PM
Here in Canada I think all the Bankers who are in for the 80 something billion in "perks" should each support a single parent for a year or so... here in canada they give you $560 a month to live on and they give a refugee $2400 a month to live on you dont even get that much after working your whole life paying into a pension why is it they treat their own like crap and freely give it away to others...WHY?
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 97
Posted: 7/8/2011 7:29:42 PM

and they give a refugee $2400 a month to live on

Cite your source. ^^
 barefootkitten
Msg: 98
Posted: 7/8/2011 7:47:46 PM

a government-assisted refugee receives a one-time amount of up to $1,830 from the federal government to cover essentials — basic, start-up needs like staples, furniture and clothing. They also receive a temporary monthly allowance for food and shelter that is based on provincial social assistance rates. In Ontario, for example, a single refugee would receive $768 per month. This assistance is temporary — lasting only for one year or until they can find a job, whichever comes first.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/facts/aid.asp

Refugees don't get more than pensioners, but they most certainly DO get more than Canadians who are on welfare.
 Philhelm
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2011 12:03:16 PM
Why should people be coerced, through the power of the state, to help others? If someone wants to volunteer to help, that's one thing, but it's immoral to force others to do so. This is especially grievous when there are so many men who are unemployed, underemployed, unable to find a job they trained for, or are paying child support and welfare. Yet women look down upon such men while claiming to be "independent" despite living off of child support, government assistance, etc. I say F 'em!
 Song_bird86
Msg: 100
Posted: 7/10/2011 6:35:17 PM
I live in Mo but I don't know the exact laws. I got on medicaid when I was pregnant and was allowed to stay on it for a year after the birth. After that point it was switched to where my son was on one and I was on another based on my income. I was unemployed until my son was 2 and because I was hired during Christmas time and was making more then allowed it was cut off but then once my hours dropped I was given it back. I got a .50 raise last summer which has been my only raise and I've been working there almost 3yrs now but it bumped me up just enough that I don't qualify anymore but my son gets to stay on because my work doesn't offer me insurance and he doesn't get it through his father either. The limit for a family of 2 is $250, I make $8/hr and my hours fluctuate between 12-20hrs a week right now, or sometimes less. Before my raise I applied for daycare assistance and was denied, I also didn't qualify for food stamps. If I didn't live with my parents I would be SOL for everything. Luckily with the new law passed I am able to be on my dads insurance because I'm still a student. My school is covered by Pell Grant which should be available to everyone in the country. Also, the CS I do get goes strictly to my son for his preschool, birthday, Christmas, clothes, food. The only time I use the CS for other things is if I'm down to bare minimum in my checking. I live off of work and my tax return for the year. People just need to learn to budget. I never buy anything unless it's on sale and I'm talking 40-50% off and under $20 for clothes/shoes.
 JHNsMommy
Msg: 101
Posted: 7/12/2011 1:18:47 PM
Sounds like you are setting up a scenario for the angry and bitter to take their frustrations out on those ppl they perceive to be taking advantage of a system set up to support those fallen on hard times and insure proper care for children.

Let me ask you this: do ppl who never serve in the military have the same right to a safe living environment as those who do serve their country?

I think, until the filthy rich who control the vast majority of the wealth are brought to justice for their crimes against their fellow country men (and who actually caused the decline of the economic stability), then every program situated for the poor should remain in place. Anyone thinking ppl on welfare are getting over has no clue what (little) welfare has to offer.

What I think would be fair is closing the borders to new immigrants and refugees; doing away with the 7 year tax break for immigrants who open businesses and giving it to people actually born in the country; and lessening aid around the world and utilizing it here at home where it is greatly needed.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > welfare suggestions for single parents - your ideas.