Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Kohmelo
Msg: 145
view profile
History
How do airplanes fly?Page 7 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

The mystery to me has always been, if there is one, how do you achieve thrust motion in space if this is the actuality here on earth in an atmosphere under pressure. What are the forces allowing for that with 'no pressure' conditions existing? Is it really that law 'every action results in an equal but opposite reaction'? Thats the one I have a hard time buying. But then again, I don't have a vaacuum handy to do an experiment in! Lol

That's easy. It's exactly what you said, so when you burn some fuel and exhaust it into space, the ship forces the exhaust out and the exhaust forces the ship forwards or whatever direction is needed, equally and opposite to the original force.
Even better, in spaced you don't have to deal with air resistance and the force of gravity is much less, so the forces stopping you are far less as well.
Its actually easier than how planes work, and far more fuel efficient.

I don't know why you think an atmosphere or pressure is required. but if you want to build one just google it, there's some good instructions out there
 Bishopboat
Msg: 146
How do airplanes fly?
Posted: 11/21/2011 12:42:22 PM

You have described an aerofoil, Where the air is contorted into creating differential pressures on either of its sides.

Damn, that's text book!
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >