Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ea®ly
Msg: 79
If there is no life after death, how do you justify respect for life?Page 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

and I am tired of this stupid argument by carnivores

I'm not a carnivore, it's not a stupid argument.

animals feel pain, nurture their young and are sentient

Salmon nurture their young? Are cattle aware that they exist because they're food? How can you tell that a plant doesn't feel pain?

Is a leopard respectful of life?
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 80
view profile
History
If there is no life after death, how do you justify respect for life?
Posted: 1/20/2010 7:25:59 PM
Life is our chance to become more than we were before- we can become richer, better looking, more wise, more compassionate, more self aware, raise great offspring, make great friends, become famous or do whatever your dream may be. You can affect the future in some way, larger or small- you might be remembered for no time, a short time or a long time.

We don't know how long it will last, when it will end or what will become of us afterward. That's what make the time we have here special. It's a chance at something.

Simply - you take what you are given and you make of it what you will. I for one, always have the hope and imagination that things could be possibly even better than they are today. Really - who really knows what tomorrow will bring?
 aremeself
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2010 8:00:30 PM
So, abortion for economic purposes is respect for life?
I'm thinkin a fetus is life, at least as much as a dog.
religious do it too.
 Manny di Presso
Msg: 83
Posted: 1/20/2010 8:27:51 PM
I'm really happy to be where I am on the food chain. I'm curious about what constitutes respect for life and why it needs to be justified.
 ea®ly
Msg: 84
Posted: 1/20/2010 9:12:41 PM

wtf kind of question is that
a leopard respectful of life?

As you insist on tossing around the word "carnivore" as an epithet (I'm not a carnivore), I was wondering how a real carnivore fits into this. That kind of question.

are humans respectful of life
the answer is fvck NO !

So now you speak for all of humanity?

Does the rest of how you live hold up to the same scrutiny that you hold other people's eating choices?
Do you grow your own food?
Do you have a car?
Is your electricity from a sustainable resource?
Do you live in a city or town?

I'll compare ecological footprints with you any day, ...I'll even throw in a carnivore.
 ea®ly
Msg: 86
Posted: 1/20/2010 11:53:59 PM
oh, goody, now instead of addressing my concern about animals and factory farming

Well, considering there are threads that already discuss this, why hijack this one even more?
Have you even read the OP?
"If there is no life after death, how do you justify respect for life?"
It isn't:
.. about factory farms.
Or,
"If there are factory farms how do you justify respect for life?"

we're in what a competition for who has a lighter foot print on the earth-

I didn't start pointing fingers and grabbing moral high ground here, you did.

Considering the thread topic, and the obvious notion that neither of us believes in an "after-life"

Why stop at eating habits?
How much life do you kill, just by all of your choices?

Or is an agenda only worth a polemic if you can point fingers?

I try to destroy as little as possible, in all aspects of my life, ...animals and plants both.

Out of respect for life and all of existence, no agenda necessary.

oh, excuse me, IMHO, humans have no respect for life
no, not talking FOR all humanity
just talking ABOUT all humanity

You don't speak for me, and the only meaningful thing you are conveying is:
You have no respect for all of humanity.

Good luck with that.

HonestVagabond
Msg: 88
Posted: 1/21/2010 8:26:12 PM
In reply to the original post.

Because we are humans.
 JP1111
Msg: 89
Posted: 1/21/2010 11:22:24 PM
Your question covers many different aspects.

I regard life as simply a mere fact if life. You are either alive or, not. Since I am alive and have the chance to live life as I want to live it, I choose to let others live it the way they choose to... except mosquitos of course :)

Life is what you make it out to be. If you think it to be meaningless then, THAT person's life is meaningless to them. If you want to make it into something interesting that wil make you want to feel alive, then that will be your life.

I too am not one to think that there is a reward or punishment in the afterlife since beside being baptized, I am not religious at all. This said, I choose to live in the here and now and make the best that I can in the time that I have on this earth; it's as simple as that.

I will feel bad if someone I care about dies, feels ill or other, simply because I care for them and want them to feel no pain.

I see your rational in thinking that it's all inevitable. And that said, I always choose to live in the present moment and not at the final stage of existence.
 BowdenK
Msg: 92
Posted: 1/24/2010 5:36:21 AM

those who don't have a relationship with god will be eternally snuffed out

I get a chuckle at how anyone can believe something like this while still claiming to respect "life."

I would be grateful for an eternal snuffing rather than spending an eternity anywhere with people like this. News flash, it's not "us" and "them." It's just "us." We're all in this together, so we need to start acting like it.

For a body to work, all the cells need to work together and do their part, the overzealous ones that obsess over their "part" without thinking about the rest of the body are called cancer. The body doesn't stand much of a chance if you spend your entire life worrying only about one part, say your heart or your lungs while not taking care of the rest. You have to take care of the whole body for it to function well. In other words, respect your whole body? Is my point coming across? I'm trying to be vague enough to entice thought but clear enough to make my point.
 tinsleyhut
Msg: 93
Posted: 1/24/2010 9:42:01 AM
If nothing fleeting is worth anything, than why go to a movie when you know it will end in two hours, or read a book that is finite?
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >