Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ladymercury
Msg: 98
How should Xmas and New Year be spent in your eyes?Page 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
For sure it's alright to go out with friends without your partner. The staff party or family meal is sometimes tricky when there's someone new in the picture.

I'm not seeing anyone so will be spending all my holiday time with family and girlfriends. On Friday evening I had a few of my besties over and we pulled the tree out of the basement and put it all together over wine, some bloopers and all kinds of laughter and good times. A wonderful way to get us into decorating mode. Then yesterday I headed over to my mother's and she and my aunt were also getting into the holiday spirit.

Having said that, if I did have a partner I'm sure there would be time spent together over the holidays. If it was a new relationship then maybe not so much of the family gatherings for Christmas and so on, unless it was leading to something more serious. I'd definitely love to plan a New Year's Eve thing with a potential partner though!

I've been known to hold a party or two in my day and would love to have someone share in those good times.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 101
How should Xmas and New Year be spent in your eyes?
Posted: 12/1/2013 11:09:49 AM
Nutty J- Christmas, to me, is to be spent with family and friends, which includes you SO.
New Years eve is to be spent with friends AND your SO. Either that or you and your SO.
What does it tell me that he doesn't want you there? He's does things on this night he doesn't want you to know about. NOT good!
I don't know where you are in terms of length of the relationship, but what he does now and how he treats you now will tell you what you can expect from him in the long term.
I hope you know you deserve better.
 BLoNDeANGeL845
Msg: 102
Posted: 11/23/2014 3:40:28 PM
I would expect my partner to spend xmas eve or xmas w/ me & either NYE or New Years Day, or even dinner on NYE if either of us wanted to go out w/ friends for rowdiness on NYE @ Midnite.

Frankly, since I live Upstate NY, it's cold, so NYE & am home w/ him & we get take out dinner for earlier, watch TV & I fall asleep after the ball drops down...I do enjoy the special shows on Network TV & miss D1ck Clark.
 petula1908
Msg: 103
Posted: 11/23/2014 3:47:36 PM
The boyfriend may not like the spectre of you when you are drunk so yes, do it with the friends. I never understand women wanting to drink themselves silly, but there you are. He can go out with his friends and you with yours, what is the big deal? Plenty of time to be together I would have thought.
 Debisue64
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2014 3:56:02 PM
nahhhhh... this wouldnt fly with me.. as I also like to drink a bit.

If you dont want to kiss me at midnight.. then.. kiss your buttbuddies... (and me goodbye)..

sheesh.. its a no brainer

excluding the girlfriend is ok during deer hunting..(beer hunting for some)

It just tells me exactly where your relationship sits...He can take you.. or leave you.
 babiebird
Msg: 105
Posted: 11/24/2014 7:37:17 PM
celebrating Xmas ,with family and friends,and a joyful spouse is nice.

I recall the film 4 christmases 2008.

A lesson in that film for all of us I think.
 hotdogshop100
Msg: 106
Posted: 11/24/2014 10:03:53 PM
Peace and quiet mostly, will se relatives if it doesn't snow.
 mike11091
Msg: 107
Posted: 11/24/2014 10:12:50 PM

Frankly, since I live Upstate NY, it's cold, so NYE & am home w/ him & we get take out dinner for earlier

IK exactly what you mean. I lived up there for 9 years. The year before I moved to NY, I spent New Years in Vegas. It's...different.

Vegas: everyone's out in the streets. Women are doing their thing for beads and men are carrying them on their shoulders. It's wild.

Upstate New York: (the first year)there was a "Nor-easter" that dumped a crap ton of snow and there was a state of emergency. So you weren't leaving even if you wanted to.

OT, though, IDK...it all depends.

I don't care much for Christmas. I don't need an excuse to buy my loved ones gifts.

New Years, though...that's the time of the year to have investments in distilleries. And, it's one of those holidays that you can celebrate together regardless of what stage your relationship is at. Now, if I met someone a week before New Years and already had plans, I might try to bring them into it, but...wouldn't hold my breath.

:)
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 108
Posted: 11/24/2014 11:10:02 PM
I'm combing my Christmas and Thanksgiving, on Thanksgiving, as my children will be with their father, in Christmas. I've planned an enormous feast for the three of us, and I plan to enjoy it, with them. (Gift exchanges will occur middle of Decemeber.)

On Christmas Day, I will relax -- no cooking, no stress. The father and step-mother can worry about that. :) If the children are with me on a given New Year's Celebration, we order in or I lavish my family with a spectrum of interesting cuisine. (I, personally, don't like to crawl pubs or mingle with drunk people.)
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 109
Posted: 11/24/2014 11:45:42 PM
How SHOULD it be spent? That's pretty individual.

For me, I'll be alone thru the holidays. I'll probably end up working on some projects.

I've done my time in the past shuttling around family to family.

The idea of doing absolutely nothing, and not seeing anyone, has it's merits.
 Dee4166
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2014 4:55:54 AM

The idea of doing absolutely nothing, and not seeing anyone, has it's merits.

First holiday in a long time that I won't be seeing family actually ON x-mas....am looking forward to cooking a (small) turkey, I LOVE the leftovers! And am probably taking a week off work, so am looking forward to eating and sleeping, maybe get in a little skating or x-country skiing and just RELAXING....
NO driving an hour to visit and NOT drink, because I have to drive an hour home, too...NO driving through hellish snowstorms, and being on someone else's schedule, etc.

Maybe go and visit my bro, who just retired and bought a new house....but whatever I do, it will be on my own schedule and only IF I really want to...yes, a LOT to be said for that....lol
 BLoNDeANGeL845
Msg: 111
Posted: 11/25/2014 5:52:18 AM

Upstate New York: (the first year)there was a "Nor-easter" that dumped a crap ton of snow and there was a state of emergency. So you weren't leaving even if you wanted to.

About 20 years ago there were 17 major storms, one right after the other, snow piled so high, there was no place to put it...I doubt I'll ever see that again in my lifetime.

Anyway, I like to have plan B & plan C lined up in case of weather, illness, meal malfunction, etc.

My 2nd son was conceived on Thanksgiving 25 years ago due to travel plans changing cuz of inclement weather ;0)

The 1st one was conceived on Valentines Day.

After #2, I refused to have sex on any Holiday...
 Dee4166
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2014 6:17:57 AM

My 2nd son was conceived on Thanksgiving 25 years ago due to travel plans changing cuz of inclement weather ;0)

Now THIS is funny....ROTFLMAO
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 113
Posted: 11/25/2014 6:35:30 AM
Last year during Thanksgiving I edited my novel and spent it alone. I had no problem with that. Soon I saw photos on facebook of the lady that had been my girlfriend and we had split on the spring. I had no issues seeing her happy in her new family. I was happy as well. Not long after that, after my 8 month hiatus from dating, I decided to date again, and in what perhaps is the worst time you can imagine, the Christmas holidays. Anyhow, but January 11 I went out with this incredibly quirky woman, with a dry wit and sense of humor.

Forward the video to this thanksgiving. I am having part of her family, part of my family coming to my place. We are no longer dating, but seeing each other as a family.
 ohenryx
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2014 11:21:01 AM

blONDEangEL845

Interesting story, made me think of the Great Blackout of 1965 and the increased birthrate 9 months later. Except, of course, that never really happened, it was just another urban myth.

Which is a shame, one would like to believe that people would be more likely to get closer with the lights out.
 BLoNDeANGeL845
Msg: 115
Posted: 11/25/2014 12:31:52 PM

Which is a shame, one would like to believe that people would be more likely to get closer with the lights out.

They were conceived with THE LIGHTS ON
 petula1908
Msg: 116
Posted: 11/25/2014 1:58:57 PM
I will be spending some time at Christmas with cousins and some time with the neighbourhood children who still believe in the wonder of Santa Claus. New Years, on the harbour with champagne, buffet seafood and good friends. Cant beat that!!!.
 sigungq
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2014 5:25:54 PM
OP, I don't get drunk - with or without friends. However, I usually spend the holidays inside watching movies.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 119
Posted: 11/25/2014 9:19:34 PM
Never had a gf during the holiday season.

Not by choice either:)

That being said?

Gift exchanges. Holiday Music. Junk Food.

Lots of wine. Scented candles.

Making Love. Sh!t. Can't say that...

Making Heat.
 ozsealady1
Msg: 120
Posted: 11/25/2014 9:53:50 PM
My Christmas and New Year.

Christmas Eve - with my family
Christmas Day - Volunteering Serving Chrissy Lunch to the homeless in central Sydney
New Years Eve - sailing and watching the Sydney Fireworks from my yacht on Sydney Harbour.

Has been a while since I have had a significant other to share or kiss on NYE.
So I spend the time with friends.
Am going sailing with another single female yacht owner friend for a holiday.
Rafting up. Great fun.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 121
Posted: 11/26/2014 7:30:39 AM
Thanksgiving will be at my place. We will cook the turkey, then everyone else will bring all kinds of stuff. My mom will cook some awesome desserts and my girlfriend will cook some stuff that reminds her when she was growing up. This is our first holidays together. My sister and her husband and two kids will come over and so are some other family members from my girlfriend's side. It's going to be awesome.

Last year, I did thanksgiving completely by myself. I wrote, I edited, and ate a cuban sandwich, no turkey.
 NikonGuy007
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2014 1:41:33 PM
TWISI="The way I see it"

Despite what the commercials tell you, "You CANNOT have it all."

When the universe gives you something, it takes something away
and
vice versa.

You wanna' be Ms./Mr. "Independent", then stay single
and
do whatever the hell you want.

You want the comforts of a 'real deal' relationship?

Then, "put yourself in his/her place". Ask their preferences. Consult your s/o.

I am about as "independent" a man as they come. I am extremely "low maintenance", however, if me and my lady are not going to be together for major holidays (obviously, if one of us have to work, that's understandable), then what the hell is the point of being in a relationship?

"HELL YEAH!, I think it's wrong to go out with "friends" on a major holiday without your partner."

"HELL YEAH!, if you've always gone out with "friends" (when you were single), you should change your routine (if your partner prefers "one on one" time).

Don't like it?

Stay single.

"If you'd rather go out and get drunk with "friends", it means you should stay single."

People want the comforts and security of a relationship, with none of the hassles, time commitments, or emotional investment.

Like ordering from a Chinese menu.

"I'll take a number 4, and number 5, and an egg roll."
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 123
Posted: 11/26/2014 2:23:46 PM
^^^Fair enough. I am a DJ so I am almost always working major holidays - but if I am with someone any length of time and not booked for a club or party I would spend the holidays with them if it's what they wanted (I don't really care either way about holidays but would do it for them).

If I am dating you a month or two - I may spend it with family or very close friends and would expect you to do the same but if we're together 6 months to a year or more it's time to start (gasp) mixing up our separate social circles.

I don't think relationships are for the purpose of not being alone on holidays - I've heard that one before and I don't know what one has to do with the other outside your SO being ONE of the people you are close to and therefore would be part of the point of spending holidays with loved one"s".
 gtomustang
Msg: 124
Posted: 11/26/2014 10:24:55 PM
Hmm, once or twice, I think I had a relationship around Christmas. Made shopping fun, b/c I don't take shopping seriously, I like to go to the stores others don't flock to, and find the neat little gift no one knew existed. Haven't done Christmas in years, my friends had less money than I, my mother had dementia and would take the shiny stuff off the tree and hide it like a squirrel and I had to pull my father's license due to Parkison's so he couldn't go shopping for me so he didn't want me shopping for him.

Now that they've passed, it will be nice to put up the old decorations again since I inherited where I grew up. I found a great Chinese buffet place in a small city nearby, I'm considering the classic "New York Jewish" tradition of going to the only restaurants open on Christmas and eating well. Otherwise it will be another day--don't need to buy myself a gift, did a bit of that thru the summer at the fleamarkets and such :)

but that's me--I'm used to being alone. If I magically find someone, I'll change the plans--I've got the rest of my life to try Chinese on Christmas. I believe one should do something special on a holiday, but on the other side of that coin....I think one should try to make every week special in some way. I realize not everyone can, I sure couldn't while taking care of my parents daily b/c I only had a few hours to do what brought me joy....but I can now devote more time in a day to do so, and so I do.

hopefully everyone can get a period in their life, when they too are blessed with the gift of time.
 Countryheart1967
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2014 1:43:02 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many people are putting up a Christmas tree?
Typically, I enjoy having a tree. This year I don't see much point as I'm the only one who will even see it.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >